Options

Dublin Marathon 2008

Comments

• Options
    Johnny Blaze wrote (see)
    Hmm I did see one lady (not American) cycling along with her friend at mile 23 in the middle of the course - the daft moo. A steward told her to sling her hook.
    Yep, I saw something similar happen outside Trinity College when I was watching finishers after my race. A bloke was trying to overtake someone and he was blocked off as this clown on a bike came around the other side of his mate who he was coaching/keeping company. He gave a look which was not even registered by the bicyclist. I would have given alot more than a look!
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

Some good runs there folks, well done!

I really enjoyed the race but didn't break sub 3-30 as I hoped. I was on target right up until the 21 mile mark, and then I died! I ended up having to have 3 or 4 walking breaks, but I was quite disciplined in trying to walk as quickly as I could and limiting any walks to just 2 minutes before then trying to run another mile. I set myself a back up target of 3'40, and I got in at 3 hours 39 mins 8 seconds - so I must have ran the last few miles with Danbert I guess, looking at his race report!

I really hit the wall badly. Up to mile 21 my slowest mile was 8'08. Every single one after that was 9'15+, so those last 5 miles were tough! Cracking race though, and the support was fantastic. I really did have a fab weekend, despite not quite running as I'd hoped.

• Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Johnny Marrone wrote (see)

This was my first Marathon and I managed a 3hr28min (despite having a bad cold) however, I found the start and the first 6 miles a huge frustration.  I registered in the sub-4 hour group and was expecting a maximum of 3hrs30mins, so I positioned myself about 3/4 of the way back in the 4hr enclosure.  My first mile took over 10mins and the next few 8-9 mins - I normally run about a 7.15!  I had to constantly skip around other runners who looked like they had no intention of running sub 4hrs.  I didn't settle into a steady pace until about 8miles and then had a lot of 'catching-up' to do which ended up zapping my energy.

I don't want to get in the way of faster runners and start ahead of my time, but this is getting really frustrating.  Is this what normally happens?

This wound me up really badly too. When I got to the start I was directed through a gap in the fence by a marshall, and I was about 15-20 rows back from the start, so further forward than i should have been really. I honestly thought all the runners either in front or around me would be sub-3'00, possibly sub 3'15 so I thought I'll have to run a fast first mile and then just get out of the way and do my own thing. How wrong could I be?!?

Once we set off we'd not even done 400 yards, and there was almost a huge pile up as we all had to avoid 5 women who were walking all side by side. Some of the comments that were uttered weren't pleasant, but were totally justified. I honestly must have passed 40 or 50 people in the first mile who wouldn't have even broken 5 hours the way they were running - and about a dozen of them weren't actually running at all. They must have been virtually on the front row, yet were going to walk the whole thing.

As i say, very frustrating!

• Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭

Morning all

A landmark today. I managed to get down the stairs without having to shuffle sideways. Hoorah!

Cyclists - there were a few around the group I was running with but they kept well away from the runners and were never a problem. Didn't see them at all on the course in the last 2-3 miles.

Walkers at the front - I started about 5 rows back and was over the start in about 10 secs. Even so, I had to pass several groups of 10-12min/mile runners all running in a pack and also passed a couple of walkers. There were also some walkers that I passed at 10 miles. Presumably they got an early start which is fair enough. You will always have this problem unless there are clear, well marshalled pens designated for particular time standards. I have marshalled at races where middle-aged rotund ladies line up right at the front and when asked what time they plan to do invariably say that they will be walking. If you suggest that they move further back they can get quite abusive (i've got a right to line up on the front row if I want to). In those cases I have no compunction in telling the people behind to feel free to push them out of the way if they feel they are being blocked.

• Options

Well done everyone it sounds like some great times were done.

I really have never seen these groups of walkers lined up across the road before.  I'm starting to get concerned about my levels of observation given that everyone else seems to pretty much bump into them.

• Options

I think this race was an example of where runners and walkers dont mix.  If walkers are going to insist on starting near the front and then walking up to 4 a breast something has gone wrong.  A few solutions come to mind:

• Let walkers organise their own races and ban them from running races.
    • Find some method of educating them that their behaviour is selfish and unacceptable.
    • To avoid confusion make the walkers start15 to 30 minutes later.
    • Develop a common message that runners can chant as they pass walkers blocking their way eg get out the way you selfish ba*****s I am going to barge you out the way (they will soon get the message).

Anyone got any better ideas?.

• Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
  • Options

I finally back I will post a report later.

I made it round in 5:03 not bad for 3 weeks and 9 mile long run training. I also beat my brother by 20+ minutes but we started at the same time and I only overtook him at 16 miles.

• Options
    Does anyone know when the photos will be online? I can't wait to see my puce little face with a smug little grin from ear to ear showing a mixture of satisfaction that I finished and didn't die in the process. 
  • Options

It needed more marshalling. I was standing outside TCD at about 25.5 miles and I was ASTONISHED that the route was being narrowed to a dangerous sliver by spectators who were encroaching onto the road. I could see the mounted Garda guys up ahead doing stuff all and there were no stewards whatsoever where I was. One man was literally standing in the middle of the road and the runners were running round him (I was by marathon foto man).

Bloody ridiculous.

Well done to all by the way. I thought you did brilliantly. Especially the guy who stopped to help the older bloke who was losing the plot outside the college and was quite literally holding him up for the last mile. I salute you, sir.

• Options
    It wasn't easy to spot the marshall until you realised they were in navy jackets!  What happened to yellow tabards?
  • Options
    MarathonFOTO.com gave a leaflet out at the Expo which says 72 hours after the race the photos will be available.  I think they are running late.  Be aware they will charge an absolute fortune, this outfit are a big rip off.  They covered the London Marathon and the prices were unbelievable.  I guess they are cashing in on our enthusiasm for these big events.  Down to who the organisors appoint I guess.
  • Options
    If its more than 3 quid i'll give it a miss. I believe the FLM photos cost a mint too.
  • Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭

Typical prices are £20-30 at FLM. Probably similar for Dublin.

I had learnt to spot the marshals by the end of the race but agree that the kit they wore didn't make them obvious.

• Options
    Just popping in - well done all! Does anyone know if Dai ran in the end, and how he got on? image
  • Options

My little girl got some crackers on her Nokia pink mobile phone! I'm sure she'd be delighted to pass em on for a fiver!image

Podro - re: marshalls! If they were in navy, I'm not surprised I didn't spot them, but tbh, I still think there weren't ANY in my immediate vicinity and it was getting completely RIDICULOUS where I was stood.image

• Options

My first marathon and i throughly enjoyed it.Thought the atmosphere ,weather and support was fantastic and had no problems on start line ,marshalls etc so am suprised by the amount of gripes.Did my first mile in 8.25 which was spot on target.Was aiming for steady 3.43 but as this was unknown territory for me so any thing could happen and it did.Hip went in mile 17 and feet on fire by mile 22 but still managed 3.46 so was well pleased.Big thanks to all involved and all the supporters!!!!!!

• Options

I got a blister WATCHING!!!!image

I only noticed it last night - it's huge!

So I reckon I suffered more than you lot.....image

• Options
    DTB, Dai did it in 4:32. I just had to check the results as I did a few drinks since then.
  • Options
    This was my first 'city' marathon and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was enjoying it so much I wasn't that bother about the time (finish time 4:20). The atmosphere and support was fabulous. I was born in Dublin and I found it quite an emotional experience running through the streets of Dublin.
    Struggled the last 4-5 miles, and because i slowed down so much got realllllly cold hands and feet.
    think the medal and tee shirt are brilliant. looking forward to next year. I'd like to do the marathons in all the capital cities of the British Isles, but haven't got into London (AGAIN)
  • Options
    My first marathon and definitely not my last.

All the early Saturday and Sunday mornings were worth it just for that feeling in the last mile as we came into the city and over the line. I'm surprised I found the finish as my eys had welled up so much and I lost it at the finish. I'm glad the photos are taking some time to come through as I'm not sure I want to see myself greetin like a bairn!

Felt completely goosed afterwards but still managed to enjoy Dublin's watering holes until 4am (It's true what they say "Guinness for Strength!")

Delighted with my time of 3:26.25 as originally we were aiming for around 3:40 (I did all my training with Danbert).

I'm already looking at arranging something for the spring and can't wait to get back out running again when my knee feels a bit better.

A magic experience that I'll remember forever.
  • Options
    Photos are now available at marathonfoto.com.  I should start saving or hope that you win the lottery, they are quite expensive.
  • Options

AMADEUS is real!!! skinny too! Congrats to him on his PB. Also congrats to a very gutsy Dai L for a superb effort and most of all congrats to Mrs Dai, Was great to meet you all in the pub afterwards. Well done to everyone. I'm very impressed with all the efforts.

Was speaking to Amadeus earlier today . I'mgoing to do the race tomorrow but pretty much nothing has gone to plan so I have no expectations!

• Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    Good luck SL - it will all come together on the day.
  • Options

Busy few days...

I have another levitating photo!  Tragically the look on my face is not one that I would subject any innocent too so I won't be paying the silly prices marathonfoto demands.  I wonder how many people do?  In Rotterdam there are fewer photographers but the fotos are free.

Anyway I did meet the legend that is SL in Kennedy's and we decamped to the Lombard.  Great to put faces to names (ITB, Dai, Wally) and a huge congrats to you all.  I'm not sure which of teh stories impressed me most; ITB doing teh marathon on a couple of short trots or Dai pounding it out after his injury ravaged build up.  And Mrs Dai, who was far too nice to be married to a welsh rugby fan...!

And SL I am NOT skinny, I am "lithe and athletic"...  Best of luck today, you know what I think because I have told you (several times).  I am sure you'll do / have done brilliantly.  Looking forward to yelling you on from the sidelines in Limerick in the new year as well, keep us all informed on that.

• Options

SL - all the very best for tomorrow. 'No expections' sounds like a great context for a good race - have a good one!

Amadeus - reports of levitating photos don't count as this forum has the final decision - give us the link! 

Once again Dublin delivered a great race occasion. Due to my well documented injury woes I decided to run walk this one using the 9:1 ratio in the hope that it would give my calf a fighting chance. I was a bit unsure as to how this would work but the end result was great. Walking early on is a challenge as you get lots of well meaning people trying to encourage you not to give up. I found a good tip to deal with this was to look busy fiddling with a gel or my Garmin.

On the way round I met Wrexham Rob who was looking strong and I manged to shout to Liam at 15 as he was handing out water. Standing in the middle of the road he looked like the figure head on the prow of a great sailing ship as it crashed through the waves of runners.

The injury behaved itself though the lack of long runs, no speed work and hills took it's inevitable toll. Mile 21 to 24 was the worst and the run walk method was now working against me as the siren voices of the walk section demanded I walked longer; I eventually I scummed losing my rhythm, concentration and generally the plot.

Mile 24 I rang DL junior and he told me that Mrs DL had just finished. She had set off two hours early and was power walking her way round. The plan was I would catch up with her but In the end she was so caught up in the occasion she run walked the second half. Though it looks like it cost her three toe nails she still has not stopped smiling and she can't wait to start training to run the whole thing next year.

Inspired by this I trundled on and at around 24.5 things took a big improvement as I just made up my mind to stuff the pain and really go for it. All the way round I guess I was waiting for my calf to pack in but now I began realise that the treatment and management had paid off, the hours aqua jogging were not in vain and the run walk approach was working as it looked like the calf was going to hold up. At this point it's all was about emotion and as I remembered my dad passing away on this day last year and the promise I had made to run Dublin 08 and raise some cash for Marie Curie, I had plenty of emotion. I wasn't sad as I thought I would be, just very proud to do this last thing for him.

For me, the last mile in marathons have always been about survival and just shuffling away but this time it was different. I just found that somehow I was going faster and faster and with this the pain was being pushed away - the emotional release was incredible. Round the last bend I can honestly say I was disappointed to see the finish; I just wanted to go on.

I guess I will never have an experience like this again as the circumstances were unique but I realise from the last mile and a half that I am capable of a lot more than I ever realised and so I am kicking myself (with my good leg) that I was not quicker than 4:32 and about slacking off during mile 21-24 but that's marathons for you and it's why they are so addictive.             

• Options

Hi all,

Looks like SL is out of the swim in 1:19:27

• Options

Dai, I'm so happy for you and Mrs Dai - well done both of you!!!! imageimage

Go SL whoop whoop!  

• Options
    (this is Jo) will read back tomorrow but just wanted to report in from ironman. 1 blister, 1 toenail to go and a dodgy tummy but otherwise home safe and sound