Options

Rotterdam Marathon 2008

Comments

• Options

Hi all.

I'm in R'dam right now, and it certainly doesn't feel like it'll be as warm as it was last year. Brr! I'm going to do my 20 miles today and try out bits of the route. Was looking through a brochure the boyf picked up last night and suddenly it all seems very real! I don't know how I'll feel afterwards, cause at the moment despite the gaps and runs I've missed here and there I'm _still_ rather surprised I've run as far and as much as I have done.

Will post later to say how it went.

HB

• Options

Good form HB!

Good to get a bit of insider knowledge image

Really hoping it's not over the 20'C mark. London last year was bad enough, and that's from a South African that should be used to soaring temperatures!

Neil, great time dude.

Off to the Peak District for the Easter weekend. Think I'll stick to running for a certain time vs set miles because of the mountains! I've got too used to the flat!

Happy Easter all. Lay off the eggs and save them for after the 13 April. Don't waste all that hard work you've already put in.

Catch you all on the flip side.

• Options

Troy, what time are you hoping for? By the way, I'm a Ny'er, so I love the cold......

HB, please provide us with any insight on any crazy sections of the route, hills, etc. It's supposedly all flat, however I sometimes think organizers just say that to get a sizeable field.

Later folks

• Options
    Hey Jas, does the race have pace groups/setters?
  • Options

Neil, based on my half marathon time I should easily clock under 3:30. Sadly, being 6.3ft and 90kg, I'm not build like a Kenyan marathon runner so the last 10km really kills me. I've only done 2 previous marathons. Claredon Way (Trail Marathon) - 4:13 and FLM '07 - 3:53.

Secretly I'm hoping for a 3:30, but I'll be chuffed with a 3:40. I was once told by a good marathon runner that you need a few marathons in the legs before you can actually 'race' a marathon. Obviously I'm only racing myself but training this year has been great. I've done more 'long' runs, better hill sessions and faster half marathons. Just going to give it a full go and wait for the wall I guess?

What you aiming for NY'er?

• Options

Troy - my PR is 3:34, which is set a long time ago (2001) in Chicago.  So the goal is anything under that.

My training has been great this year and I really upped the mileage, so I should conceivably ain for a 3:16 time.  However I will run it conservativly and pace myself for a 3:30, probably to the 20 mile mark, and then kick it in for the last 6 miles if I have enough energy stored.

This will be my 10th marathon and I can tell you that it's probably best to to be conservative.  I can't tell you how many races I blew by going out too fast.

Take it easy - Neil

• Options
    Neil - They didn't have pace makers there. 
  • Options

Totally agree. Marathons are definitely about starting out slow, conserving energy and then giving it everything if you've got anything left at the end. I certainly won't be going out like a sprinter.

By the way, why do you say PR instead of PB (Personal Best)? Is it an American thing?

: )

• Options

Personal Record?

100! image

• Options
    Yeah, totally an American thing.  I can't recall ever hearing the term PB until I moved here.
  • Options

Hello all, well if it's like today on 13th April, we will all need gloves. It rained for the second 10 miles and I was generally running with good windchill factor as well as it being 7 degrees. I won't estimate it but it felt like freezing.

I didn't do the course minus 6 because there wasn't really a good way to do that and not have to walk a long way back. So... started out from boyf's flat which is near the Kralingse Bos - the park that we will circum navigate before the finish. Ran down the side of that onto Maasboulevard - nice wind coming off the Maas! I think I slightly overdid it here battling with the wind, and  having one of those 'this is amazing!' moments during 'Hey Ya'... Anyway ran a bit too fast, being only 5 miles or so in. Picked up the real route at the Erasmus Bridge. Whoever it was earlier on this thread who said it really wasn't much to worry about - you were right. It's a pleasure to run across, great views and just a gentle incline.

Carried on down real route along the imaginitively named Laan op Zuid towards the Feyenoord football stadium and past building site where I got equally imaginitive whoops. Actually since all the builders in the UK stopped doing this, i've kindof missed it. here the road goes a bit up and down as you go over small bridges at junctions. Nothing serious though. Ran round Feyenoord and then got lost so I'm not really sure where I went next. If you look at the map, i was in the middle of the bottom loop of the real route. More heckling from passers-by, slightly more irritating. Spotted the Erasmus bridge again and headed for it. GOing back over took a little more effort as I was now about 12 miles down, but still ok. Then carried on real route back up towards the Kralingse Bos and around the lake. I'm not sure whether I was on a path or on the route.

About 5 miles to go I began to get really tired, ankles hurting, left hip seizing up a bit. But I figured I just had to carry on at that point - would still have had to walk it even if I stopped running! Had to do a bit of an extra loop in the park because I thought I might get home with a bit more to do, though I think I overestmated. I had to walk for about 10 minutes on the way home.

All in all reasonably pleased, though I'm always a little worried about the accuracy of my pedometer/watch thing (Garmin Forerunner50) It's usually ok. Need to do some serious stretching next few weeks to resolve hip problem.

Will all be much easier when we aren't dodging traffic, just people, I hope!

Night all, HB

• Options
    I’ve been struggling to get my miles in.  Last week I curtailed my Monday run due to high winds so ended up running about 9 miles short. This week I again missed my Monday run (slept in) so am already 9 miles short and the weather forecast for Saturday morning is snow, rain, 21mph northerly winds and a wind chill of –5 so I will be lucky to get a long run in.  If I do keep to the schedule for the final 3 weeks I will be 80 miles down on my 14 week schedule which sounds a lot but is only 6 miles a week short.

Having said all this since getting my race pack, I’m getting pretty excited.  I have a 16 mile race on Sunday week (8:20AM and the clocks will have gone forward!) and then it is two weeks of easing down.  I keep being asked if this will be my one and only marathon and my head says yes but I know that I will try for the FLM next year, maybe third time lucky and I’ll get in?

Good luck with your final long runs everyone.
  • Options

Great report HB, stirling effort! Good news about the bridge but I'm not too sure about the heckling.

Weather for Sunday is currently forecast to be 0-7 degrees and heavy snow for London. I'm off to Lillywhite's after work to pick up a fleecy hat or one of those ear-covering head-bands things. I'm going to get a cheap one so if I don't get on with it I can just chuck it. And I might have to get some gloves as my brother nicked mine for his camping trip to Dartmoor - he's bonkers going in this weather!

No gym this week as they are closed for redecoration - hooray, a day off image

Good luck with your long run, TopCat. Your conditions sound even grimmer than mine!

Have a lovely Easter everyone image

• Options

Hello all,

Better late than never to join the thread this year I suppose. Just been reading through all the chat. I can help a bit, as I have run Rotterdam the last 6 years. This will be my 10th marathon if my collection of injury woes allow me to make it to the start line...so no hope of a PB or even a PR...which incidentally is what they call it in the Netherlands too...

Seeding is based on previous marathon time in the past 2 years (you probably all know this by now as it's in your entry packs) and probably is sub 3:15 for a C-start and sub 2:45 for a B-start. Or if you are Kenyan you get an A-start ! Actually the start isn't a problem once you realise that the major problem is the relay runners, who all get a C start and therefore start in the right-hand channel (usually). So definitely go to the left-hand channel as early as possible (1 hour?) and work your way to the front.

Trying the Extran out sounds like a good idea, but they nearly always make it up too strong...I tend to drink it rather than water but you have to watch out for stomach cramps.

I was converted to gels at Amsterdam 2007 and also am a disciple of the Pfitzinger and Douglas method of long runs - 10-20% slower than race pace, plus medium long runs at the same pace and lactate threshold runs at half-marathon pace - which I agree might not be necessary if you only have one gear rather than several (ie if you race at all distances rather than being a marathon "expert"). Pfitz and Douglas also recommend not RACING above half-marathon in the preparation (doing your long run at the right pace during a longer race being a different thing entirely). Anyway, there's more than one way to make an omelette - you just have to remember to break some eggs). Just my 2p based on my experience.

The Erasmus bridge is a hill by Dutch standards and you could all have fun counting the Dutch runners you pass in that particular half a mile. Be careful though, it is a slightly different prospect at 24-ishK in a race than in training...even if you run on undulating terrain usually...which is also another point. You use different muscles on the flat so you can get surprisingly knackered in some interesting places by the end...I'm moving on to flat runs only from now on...

Anyway, hope it isn't as grim as last year (34 degrees in the sun, 28.9 officially in the shade) or the year that the wind was in our faces in the last 6km...

Good luck all, remember to buy some stroopwaffels (honey waffle biscuits) for after the race - I always come back with my bag filled with them for the kids/office.

Vitalstats...

• Options

Hi Vitalstats, thanks for all the good information.  I hope you can make it to the start.

By the way, for anyone that is interested, I noticed in the brochure that was just sent out to us that there will be Pace Setters (from Runner's World).  I will probably take advantage of this and adjust/readjust my pace as necessary during the race.

-Neil 

• Options

Hello Vitalstats.  

When did you all get your packs? I haven't had anything yet, but I've also not been home to pick up post since Tuesday.

HB

• Options

I got my pack about 2 weeks ago.

-Neil 

• Options

Hope everyone is back safe and sound from their long runs. I managed 4 hours, probably 19 miles as we got pretty slow towards the end. I can say those were probably the coldest conditions I have ever run in. I had 3 tops, 2 trousers and a head-band and was still a bit cold at the end. The first hour was snow, then sleet and rain and then a few dry spells. I think we were really lucky there wasn't much wind or I might have got hypothermia! My running partner did v. well, her longest run ever. image

I picked up a latte (no skinny this time!) and a caramel shortbread which I virtually inhaled on the walk home I was so hungry. I got really cold by the time I got home, nearly couldn't get my key in the door my hands were so useless. I can really recommend the fleece head-band. It kept my ears nice and snug.

Now I can relax knowing there are no more long runs until the big day!

Enjoy your eggs people, you deserve them!

3 weeks to go image

PS: Cheers for the info. vitalstats and welcome to the thread.
    PPS: Haven't received my pack yet, hope it comes soon.

• Options

Well done Little Nemo. I am soooo glad I ran on Thursday and not today. Biiiig snowflakes in Rotterdam are best enjoyed from inside while surfing and thinking about getting a gilet/ jacket just in case.

Might ring if I get home and there isn't a pack waiting for me.

• Options

22 on Sunday lunchtime - but had to grind it out a bit - have now gone from zero training through the MK Half, 18 mile training run, Oakley 20 and 22 mile training run in successive weekends - 1 more flat 20 miler next weekend planned. I don't recommend this as preparation for the marathon but needs must this year having had a tendon injury during the whole of February...

Enjoy your tapering everybody...

PS You know what's going to happen, don't you, we're all going to train in the freezing cold, then 2 days before the marathon Rotterdam will be in the midst of the biggest heatwave since...err...April 2007.

• Options
    It's still snowing here this morning and is bloomin freezing!

15 at the weekened before my knee blew on me. It's been a bit dodgy since but I'm hoping it's nothing serious. Not sure whether to chance another long run this weekend or to start the taper???
  • Options

I'd start tapering now, H.

Hope your knee feels better soon image

19 days to go - wibble image

• Options

So...

For the first time in a long time I couldn't motivate myself to do a 20 miler on my own. The weather in the Peak District didn't help but that's no excuse. Loads of snow and temp's around the -2'C mark. I only managed a 9 mile run and a 1 hour MTB ride. Loads of walking too so I did keep active.

On the positive, I never touched any chocolate and stayed off the booze.

I think tapering depends on the indiviual. Is it your first marathon, did you run these types of distances before, new to running, etc? I prefer to have a short taper. I get bored and start doubting myself if I don't keep active. I fully appreciate that tapering is needed but I think it depends on the rest of your training/running history etc. Certainly don't stop tapering to get very long runs in, if you've missed them beforehand, unless you're a marathon veteran and your legs can cope. I'm going to keep running/riding but won't go over the 10 mile mark after the weekend.

Welcome Vitalstats, although I think you should be refered to as Vitalinfo! : )

Well done to everyone who got their long runs under the belt.

Lastly, does anyone know the cheapest/quickest/most convenient way to get from the airport into Rotterdam (where we pick up race numbers, etc). Local knowledge would be most appreciated.

Get lots of sleep!

• Options

Thanks Troy & LN, I aim to just eat the next few weeks (seem to be doing quite well on that!), sleeping not so great since I'm away at a work conference next week and I know how those things go.  Meanwhile I'll probably have a go at a long(er) run next weekend since I haven't done all my long runs and it's the only chance I'll get.  This is marathon number 7 so you'd think I'd have some idea by now image

Which airport do you fly into Troy?  If it's Amsterdam it couldn't be easier to get to Rotterdam.  45 mins on the train and the trains run every 1/2 hour direct from the airport.  Meanwhile the expo is close to Rotterdam Central Station.

• Options
    By the way if anyone arrives into Amsterdam on saturday day I could meet you there and we could get the train to the expo.  I have to go that way anyhow image
  • Options

I fly into Rotterdam Airport (RTM). Staying on the road we run down from the start, a few hundred metres from the Erasmus Bridge. So excited!

Thanks H.

• Options
    Even easier from Rotterdam airport.  There's a train and a shuttle bus to Rotterdam Central.  Trains are pretty frequent and the shuttle runs every 10 mins or so.  Journey time is about 10 mins on train, 20 mins by bus and its only around 3 euros or so...
  • Options

So when are you turning up at the expo? I'm not planning to spend much time there - my first marathon but I'm a rower by training so I will spend the day quietly and then eat pasta in the evening. But it might be nice to have a cheeky coke in the afternoon on Saturday.

Good luck with the knie either way (long or not so long run) H.  

HB

• Options
    Cheers HB, I shall persevere.  I can be at the expo anytime.  I agree, a cheeky coke or something would be good.  Maybe we should say a time and if people can make it to say hello...fine.  If not, no pressure. 
  • Options

Is anyone else still waiting for their pack? No sign of mine yet and I'm waiting for them to email me back about it. Hopefully my email notification will be the enough to pick up my number at the expo?

Did my last tough speed session yesterday - 5 miles at fast pace. Hard work, only really kept going as I was being dragged along by a faster friend. Last longish run tomorrow - the Kingston 16. Going to run this pretty slowly, must stop myself from racing it!

Let me know what time you're all going to be at the expo and if I can make it I'll join you for a coke. It would be a nice way to calm some of my nerves.

15 days to go image

PS: Is anyone else worried about how pale their legs are? Time to try that holiday body lotion stuff!