Options

Setting my sights Tri

Comments

• Options

Ow. imageimage I hope the rest of the experience was more comfortable!!

• Options

4 weeks to go, taper and recover well image

Looking forward to tracking you on Ironman dead

• Options

Cheers Barley - make that 3 weeks though image

<WIBBLE>

<breathes deeply>

Sorry 'bout that. 

This time next week I'll be sat on a plane image

• Options

And probably trying to work out what essential item of kit I've forgotten.image

• Options

Well, your mum says remember to wear clean underwear, you'll need your passport and you can buy anything else there.  I've heard they have shops in NZ, so no worries mate! image

Ally, do you need a Marmite delivery from the UK?  I'm volunteering Trogs to do it.  I could bring you a durian from Jakarta.

• Options

Planning on taking marmite with me anyway.  Any other requests for UK fare will be considered and met subject to available space/weight.

Homework done aanders.  Might just print that out and read it repeatedly on the plane.  One image I have in my brain which will hopefully sustain me on race day is of me crossing the finish line and the huge sense of achievement that'll bring.

Doesn't stop me having the occasional wibble though image

• Options

Or you can just think about my bike click, click, clicking behind you all the way up Box Hill image

No need to wibble Trogs, you'll be great

• Options

I ended up taking 6kg of malt loaf out with me for Ally, Andy and personal use. Can't get that over there. However you can't get Vogel's fruit loaf over here (size of a loaf of bread, more like a heavy cinamon toast type of thing, heaven in a food type. Hmmmm  They also do some bags of choc chip mini cookies that are delicious.  Yellow bag I think.

• Options

Fruit loaf and Marmite, yum! [drools on keyboard]

Training: long swim on Friday, woefully short MTB ride and doing swim videos & drills with training buddies yesterday, then today I ran our local Marathon 3.1(yup, that's my new trade-marked name for a 5K) flat out, jogged round the 2.5K fun run twice and still passed the last walkers, then ran home with a chum.  We got lost so it turned into a 25K trot.  Total for the day 35K including speedwork, recovery and long run sessions so I reckon that's all my run training done for the next week! image

• Options

You'll be able to concentrate on the bike and keeping your poolside froggy friends entertained then image

Pedalled to and from a local 10k today - and almost got a 10k pb.  If I'd known how close I was to it (about 15 secs) I might've pushed myself a bit harder over the last couple of miles.  Still, felt pretty strong throughout the race and it's still considerably faster than I've raced for a 10k for several years.

• Options
    Just realised that my time yesterday was a 5K PB - by one second!  Next goal - to see if I can get the same time while pushing Eileen the Minisnog in the running buggy!
  • Options

Picked up mums cake for NZ today - nutrition strategy is to eat cake - worked last time so here we go again. All natural and doesn't affect my guts as I've eaten it all my life. I wrote to customs and they have said that I have to declare the cake but it will get in....

Maybe I should smuggle to save time.....

Bike's still in the shop and is to be picked up tomorrow. Booked bike into shop in Auckland for helmet and bike check plus final tune up - charge is about £15/20 which I thought was excellent.

Going to try running again in the morning as instructed by physio - hope the knee holds out. Then a swim. 

This is my last biggish week and next week start to chill and get ready - kind of had an easy week after my knee fell apart so I'd better make sure that I have a good last week!

Feel as ready as I'll ever be!

Hope you are all fit and well - not long to go!

• Options

One more thing......

Cofffee on the day before the race - where and when? Straight after briefing?

• Options

Someone suggested Pirate brekkie on the Sunday after the race at Dixie Browns on the waterfront - we didn't set a time, how about 10am?

Coffee right after the race briefing (starts 9am on Friday) sounds good too.  I shall wear my best traditional Papuan outfit so that you recognise me (see the photo and yes, it's a bit tricky cycling with that gourd...)

• Options
    Woken up with something lurking in my chest - doesn't feel good.....
  • Options

Briefing is out at the swimming baths and not handy for coffee straight after. 

• Options

Jaggy, suggest you watch "Alien" again and then have a good cough image

Seriously, hope it's nothing serious.  More rest, less training.  Trust me, I'm a doctor's son!

• Options

where are we meeting for brekkie on sunday?

10am sounds good

only 3 more sleeps til we leave.

taking my mobile and also an old one to put a NZ sim card in.  will text you from NZ with other number

just re read, dixie browns, is that near transition?

• Options

Evening all

Jaggy - priority 1, get rid of all lurgies, training comes a long way behind at this stage.  Hope you mange to shake off whatever it is PDQ.

So post race brekky 10am Dixie Browns somewhere on the waterfront.   Think Ally may have posted a location previously, will have a look back.  Pre race - meet up at end of briefing and find somewhere in the vicinity that sells coffee?  I shall wear something piratey for identification purposes.

3 more sleeps for me too image  Which flight are you on jellybabe -  I don't suppose it's NZ1 out of Heathrow on Friday. it is? 

Isn't it amazing how much you can get done when time is limited?  I probably achieved more today than I have in the last few weeks.  Still lots to try to do before Friday though.

• Options
    Ally Bally Bee wrote (see)

And Maxx Cafe is no more, it's now called Dixie Browns. Didn't get a chance to try the food or coffee but I'm happy to meet up there on Sunday morning for some breakfast. It's on the lake front where there's a row of pubs, cafes, takeaways etc. If you stand by the lake, turn your back on the water and see KFC then Dixie Browns is on the right about 100m along. It's big so you shouldn't miss it.

I sampled Replete (very nice coffee and carrot cake) and Body Fuel (hot chocolate served in a glass which was weird but great muffins). Both are a bit on the small size, though with Replete we could go outside and move tables together.

So I'm happy to have pre race coff at Replete and post race brekkie at Dixie Browns.

Yer tiz
  • Options

BA flight out of heathrow at 21.45

same one?

• Options

NZ1 is the direct via LAX with air new zealand.  Longest schedule flight it in the world, and is the surest way of not losing / damaging the  bike.  Was great, that's what we were on.

I may have to stop reading this thread as I'm very jealous. 

Well seing as you are all starting to drift off, then I'll take this chance to wish you all well.  Both for the race and the trip in general.  It's an amazing race, and the support from the volunteers is exceptional.  Don't forget to contact your 'adoptive' business, the whole town turns IM mad and there are competitions for shop windows, local banana cake competitions, and the whole town gets decked out in IM flags.  Oh, and keep that radio tuned to More FM - the DJ is a legend!

• Options

Oh, and this is the turnaround point on the bike.  Look carefully at the sculpture.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2154/2317399233_7687f638e5.jpg

• Options
    Just popping in to wish you all luck, look forward to seeing you all finish on t'interweb!  image
  • Options

Jellybabe - no, mine's AirNZ at 1545 so if I see you at the airport I'll have missed my flight!

Read about that sculpture somewhere.  Looking forward to seeing it for real, particularly the second timeimage

THanks Ditchy.

• Options
    Smart new haircut to reduce drag and including go faster stripes.  Every little helpsimage
  • Options

You probably own't notice the sculpture Trogs as the turnaround is about 30m in front and there's always crowds there.

Requests for UK fare are fig rolls please! And no thanks to the marmite, it is the devil's food!

If you can smuggle out a cadbury's creme egg and pass it to me without my husband noticing that would also be cool (he thinks I eat too much chocolate and he is right but the NZ creme eggs aren't a patch on the UK ones).

I did my long long run yesterday, 2.5hrs, no idea how far as I've yet to measure it but I think it was about 24km. I am a very slow runner. I will be run/walking at IMNZ, 10mins run 2 min walk I have planned for, although the second loop will be more like a 5min run 2 min walk.

Swimming in about an hour, then going for my hour's steady ride. The I will be back on the slow computer doing some work.

We will be in Taupo form wednesday so if anyone wants to meet up pre race that will be cool. We're going to the pasta party on Thusday and will get to the events centre about 5pm to be at the front of the queue. I will have my hair in pigtails but not chosen my outfit yet.

• Options
    Right, fig rolls and creme eggs. I'll see what I can do. Have already bought a few malt loaves to bring over. All the more Marmite for me then, mmmmmmm luverly!

We plan to travel to Taupo on Monday and I'm sort of planning on doing the swim on Tuesday morning. I'm also booked into the pasta party with a large party (6) of my supporters. No idea what I'll be wearing but will possibly have a pirate buff somewhere about my personimage

Talking about clothing, I've assumed the awards party is an informal affair, or do I need to bring my best party frock?

Nice little 1hr run this evening with my running club. Nothing overly strenuous but legs felt really achy after. Hopefully just the effects of current lighter training load rather than sign of impending muscle failure.

I've mailed my mobile number to Ally, Jellybabe and Jaggy but will possibly take Dunc's advice to buy a SIM card on arrival.

• Options

I'm doing the same as we reckon our best plan is for my OH to spend 5 days with her dad in Auckland while I'm doing IM! So we need to make lots of cheap calls.

We'll then get a holiday focussed on us and head back to see the family again in Auckland at the end of the holiday...