Options

Setting my sights Tri

Comments

• Options

Trogs, Eileen and I will be fighting you for the Marmite.  Eileen will probably be fighting Ally for the creme egg too.  Watch out, she is the perfect height to bite your ankles!

Just noticed this on the Taupo weather site:

Sunrise 6:46am Sunset 8:13pm - so finish under 13:13 if you want a beer in yoru hand at sunset

Moonrise 00:49am Moonset 4:33pm - so you won't make the cut-off if you wait to run under the moon!

Dress code for the awards party is informal.  Bring your pirate hat and eye patch!

• Options
    And I'm staying at Debretts, will no doubt bump into some of you there
  • Options

not long now

safe flight everyone

catch up with you all on 7th

race safely

• Options

image  Very quiet here.  All dogs and cats went to kennels/cattery this morning so I could get on with packing my bike in particular without them sitting on stuff I'm trying to pack or helpfully taking it out again and hiding it in the garden.  Feels very strange in the house without them.  Almost leapt up to take the dogs for a walk this afternoon before remembering they weren't here.

Packing is pretty much done except I need to take some of stuff out of the bike bag cos it's too heavy.  I can see myself spending most of this evening juggling stuff  between that and my normal bag till I get the weight right.  Never mind, nothing else to do.

• Options
    Safe journey Trogs, have fun! image
  • Options

Last long swim done, hurrah!

See you chaps on the other side of the world!

• Options

awake since 5am, hopefully that means I will sleep ok on the plane tonight

still cant quite believe what we are about to do and see

• Options

blimey, IMNZ here already................

Best of British to you all......... will be on line supporting and I think NZ has one of the better live feeds on IMDead.

• Options

Good luck all. Have great time and enjoy. image

Trogs. You will be brilliant - remember it's just a case of relentless forward motion. All the best

xx

[edits: not that I'm actually qualified to give advice of course... image)

• Options

All the best for the folk flying out today / tomorrow - I've got a week (and a load of work to do) before we set off.

Hope that the flights are good and you have a great time before we meet in Taupo.

Really exciting innit!!!image

• Options

imageimageimage

Loving the warmth!

Trouble free journey.  Treated myself to premium economy for outward journey and well worth it.  No queue at check in.  Onto plane, sit dow, offered glass of fizzy wineimage  Excellent food (and drink), enough leg room; still a hell of a long flight though.

Arrived to grey skies but lovely and warm.  No probs with customs and pest control - all food passed. Bike went back together quite easily though haven't taken it out yet, my friends' pump doesn't have  a presta converter.  Went to beach this afternoon and ended up having an impromptu jog - only about a couple of miles barefoot on wet sand; it was lovely.

My mobile doesn't seem to like it here despite the assurances from the shop that it''d be ok so may need to buy a cheap one out here for teh duration.  Will try to let you all know what the number is when i get it sorted.

Hope you have a good week Jaggy and work doesn't get in the way too much.

Starting to feel a bit weary now.  Just has you're all getting up, I suspect I'll behitting the sack soon.

• Options

warmer than Ashdown then image  Great news that everything is intact.  Take it easy this week and enjoy!

• Options

Great news Trog - very jelous.

Although is a nice day here at the moment.

Bike packed - looks like a shiny new one! Clothes sorted - went out yesterday on my winter bike and tried on what I was going to wear race day - back onto wiggle last night for a new top that I'll try out before I travel.

Still feeling bunged up but it's all above the neck and should clear this week I hope.

• Options

Plently of time to clear the passages Jaggy - though 24hrs on a plane may not do it much good.

Slept like a dead tree last night for nearly 10 hours. Woke at 7am feeling great (if a little warm) and decided I'd better go for a little run before it got too hot. 5 miles of hills were just the ticket- there doesn't seem to be any flat around here.  Took the bike along to one of the local IM authorised shops today who made sure I'd put it back together right and passed it fit to ride on race day.  One of the guys in the shop is part of the team providing support in Taupo next week.

Will take the bike out for a little spin tomorrow - possibly just down to the little local open air pool to test out my wetsuit, then uphill all the way back again.

• Options

Sniiffle.  Was sat in teh Velodrome on Saturday night saying that a year ago we were on HeiHei beach.   Seems so long ago yet only like yesterday. 

When we went we treat ourselves to the front bit of the plane, and I must admit it did make the journey a lot more bearable.  Jaggy, when you flying out?

• Options
    Forgot to say Ive got a local SIM so will text number to those who need it.
  • Options

Dunc - Saturday .

Actually feeling worse today - going to the chemist to see what they recommend.

Did a wee 5 mile run yesterday - which was probably a mistake - and my knee is back 100%. Dead arm physio'd out and that just leaves the cold/chesty thing I have....

Been 10 days of very sporadic training - not happy....

• Options

Eh?  So it's not this coming weekend then?  Oops, I was planning on sending all my cheers over a week early.

• Options

Trog - sounds like you're having a great time - it must be nice to have got the trip behind you. I've done it before but still not really looking forward to 24 hours on a plane!

Email the sim number and I'll give you a buzz when I'm on my way to Taupo next Wednesday.

• Options

Sorry Dunc - yeah we're flying out on Saturday evening arriving on Monday lunchtime. Funny but I've not really got excited about this trip - It's going to be a bit weird going to Taupo without my OH - family situation is not good over in NZ and my OH needs to spend time with her dad so I'm going to IM by myself. I think the family stuff, injuries and bugs have taken over and all I want is to feel 100% again.

I'm sure that I'll be excited when we leave this weekend.

• Options
    Good to hear your journey was good Trogs, all sounds under control....very excited for you all image
  • Options
    Once you get to Taupo then you're one of the IM family, and the whole town is out supporting you.  As I mentioned the local businesses adopt overseas athletes and then you've got at least one pocket of supporters out on the course cheering you on.
  • Options

Great news that you got there safe and sound trogs.

Loads of positive vibes and best wishes coming from the Allsorts.   We're so excited for you and not at all jealous that you're nice and warm over there and we're freezing here image

• Options

Jaggy, one benefit of the nice long flight is you can get rid of your cold by coughing a lot and passing it to everyone else image

Trogs, have a Horleys Replace and tell us if it's tasty.  If you can't find one, just have some Tim-Tams!

• Options

Hey Trogs

Didn't realise your IM was so soon

Good luck from another Allsort

Kath x

• Options

<waves to Allsorts>

Another good day.  Little spin on the bike, just to make sure it still works.  It goes up and down hill ok, dunno about on the flat though cos I haven't found any yetimage

Then OW swim in a little crater lake - was warm enough that I could've done without the wettie.  Felt a bit odd swimming in a wetsuit again at first but soon relaxed into it.  Sighting hasn't got any better so will need to watch that a bit in Taupo though hopefully I'll just be able to follow everybody else.

Have tried the Horleys Replace and it's quite nice, not sure if I'll still like it after several hours though.  Also don't know how it might affect me on a long ride so think I'm going to stick with High 5 on the bike as much as possible and just use the Replace as a fall back if necessary.

Jaggy - fingers firmly crossed you manage to shake that cold either before or while you fly.  Didn't really start to feel excited till on the way to the airport and the feeling increased on arrival.  Just being in a warm climate makes me feel better all round and generally more confident about the whole thing for some reason.

• Options
    Must be taper time, I've just had my pre-race haircut.  It feels cooler and Mrs Snog didn't like it so that's two bonuses already, even if it doesn't make me any faster image
  • Options

Trog,

I found sighiting in Taupo one of the easier lakes, there are decent marks at either end to aim for way above the water line on the top of hills, and you're also swimming parallel to the shore so even side sighting between the forward looks is pretty easy.  Plenty of bouys too.

• Options
    D74 wrote (see)

.. there are decent marks at either end to aim for way above the water line on the top of hills,..

The water line's on top of the hils???  Thought the swim was supposed to be flat imageimage

Pre-race haircut is an essential part of race preparation Aanders.  And of course it'll make you go faster!

Had a great confidence boosting ride this morning round a 45m circuit with a quite a few undualations but also lots of nice flat bits.  Pace still drops right down on the upflats but on the level was pretty encouraging and I wasn't pushing myself unduly.

Shan't be doing a great deal more training wise now, just some easy running and spinning to keep things ticking over.  I'm as ready as I'm going to be.

10 days to go.  Bring it on! image

• Options

Hello all,

I have been self-employed for almost two weeks now and am missing my regular internet access! However, I have just received my new dell laptop and have got mobile broadband so I should be a lot better from now on.

I have an 11 hour training week this week! Not looking ahead cos I know I have a couple of long ish) sessions next week. My coach doesn't believe in long tapers, especially since I'm working not very much right now.

I did a 90 min run today and it felt rather autumnal out there (perfect conditions for an IM). Run felt crap but I know it will be better on the day due to the atmosphere.

Looking forward to some English food...

Alison

PS arriving debretts on Wednesday pm. Will be at pasta party at the front of the queue (maybe), may wear a pirate t-shirt from IMDE06.