Options

Abingdon Marathon

Comments

• Options

bugger just phoned and checked and breakfast at my hotel starts at 8am....any recommendations for breakfast items i could buy that would keep just in my room? other than a banana and flapjack or something...

feeling like a bit of an idiot just now as i obviously didnt check the price of this hotel when i booked it as just been on there website and was like image when i saw the rates. bad start to weekend!

i hadnt found somewhere for eating yet and am by myself tigger's mate so i may take you up on your offer?

• Options

WW - for early starts with no kitchen access I use slimfast drinks, cereal bars and Flanagans instant porridge which you can make in the pot with nothing more than a kettle - available from Sainsbugs and Morrisons in my area and very edible.

I'm lucky in that I can eat up to an hour before a run and be ok. Will aim to be at Tilsley at about 0830hrs so probably eating at about0645/0700hrs. Breakfast will be muesli and yoghurt and probably a banana or cereal bar nearer to start time.

TmR - not staying locally so unable to join you, but thank you for the invite.

Straitjacket - that must have been quite disappointing - or did you know that you'd done all that you could on the day anyway so it didn't really matter?

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    which witch - if there's a kettle in your room you can make porridge.  Pack a bowl.  Don't have to have milk, just plenty of salt, some brown sugar, and a banana.  Yum.  My standard marathon breakfast. btw you don't seem to be on the list ...
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

(Some like-minded thinking here.)

• Options

I'm on the list under an alias (ie it was before i dreamed up a forum name). je suis #856 Jo H 4:10 image (hopefully!)

cheers LMH and t-rex - i shall have a look in sainsburgers tomorrow

• Options

What does porridge made with just water taste like?

Is it like medicine and you know it's good for you if it tastes like sh*t?

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭
    Just poppin in to say good luck to everyone, hope you achieve your tergats.
  • Options
    ww, or muesli and  milk is easy enough to take; even marmalade sandwiches (no doubt what Paddinton Bear would doimage).    And yes please do join me  on Sat evening.  If you email me your mobile no, I'll email you mine, so we can finalise the exact time.   I'll be coming from Birmingham after watching the National Relays, then dropping off the dog at a friends.  I want to then hide some drinks at 4ml and 8/17ml and go to my B&B, and run the last mile of the course.  Hmmm.... all that should be possible before 7pm!
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Porridge with water tastes fine Victorian (I can't use cow's milk - slight lactose intolerance). Add a spoon of honey or jam if a bit of sweetness is required though.
  • Options

i think you may be right victorian - but having said that i decided to try porridge with water and salt on the same occassion. i threw it away after one bite and stuck to milk and sugar image

lol that sounds like a busy day TmR! i shall email you my number..

• Options

I was stuck for breakfast at my first FLM back in 2006 (hotel was not accomodating or cheap for that matter) and ended up eating a cracking bowl of porridge at the most unlikely of places - McDonalds!

Must be the most healthy thing on the menu (bet it was still fried) and it went down a treat

Most Mac D's open at 6am and I believe there is one in Abingdon.

• Options
    Good luck all have a great day
  • Options
    indeed, good luck to you too!
  • Options

For a stay-away breakfast at a hotel I tend to go for an old favourite: weetabix. Milk these days lasts well over a week if unopened, so it should cope with an over-nighter. If you're worried, leave it in the car boot.

Then there's those squidgy breakfast bars as another option.

For me, today has seen some serious carbo loading. From weighing myself last night to when I got home from the meeting today I'd put on half a stone. Oops. At least I've still got a day to sort it out, so that's no problem. Mind you, I'd almost finished my 3 mile run when my internals decided it was action time. Very uncomfortable.....

One more thing.

If you see me anywhere on the forum after 11pm send me to bed. Tonight is the night for the BIG SLEEP, because there won't be one tomorrow.

• Options
    Sould put in a disclaimer that this McD's was in London & in 2006, & as I have not been to McDonalds since it would be unwise to assume the the Abingdon outlet serves good porridge at 6am on a Sunday morning - should protect me from any law suits from hungry runners. 
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    I have an allergy to casein (bovine milk protein) so I wouldn't dream of putting milk in anything.  I buy my porridge oats in Ireland when I go over there -O'Flavaghan's organic - beats anything available here for quality.  The important ingredient is salt, which I have learned since doing ultras.  You disguise it with lots of brown sugar (molasses is best) and fruit.
  • Options

This is my last pre-race post as we are leaving  for oxford in a couple of hours.  I'm not sure whats going to happen tomorrow, the only certainty i think is that regardless of whether we run well or poorly, its going to hurt at some time!

I've thoroughly enjoyed  the training and particularly this forum, loads of great advice and laughs but most importantly support 

Looking forward to speaking with some of you tomorrow but to everyone.

GOOD LUCK

and just remember

"it's a marathon not a sprint" !!

• Options

I just got sent this by my brother

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-41pzjSM1Ac not quite the same event but should get you a bit nostalgic and eager to do your best

• Options

Nahhhhh

DO2 from the sub 3 fred always posts this one http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9rFx6OFooCs

Have a good run folks

• Options

good luck everyone and safe journeys for those travelling today and tomorrow (today's bunch I am assuming are comign from further afield).

I have had an added incentive as just got my registration details for New York marathon which is in two weeks time. If interested just visit

http://www.justgiving.com/jonathanevan-hughes

Not a hint or request but just explaining the background as easier than typing it all out again (wife's mum had MS and brother has it so close to home)

• Options

good luck tomorrow everyone . . I'll be at the track from about 8 am looking out for people . . and at the 12/21 (is) mile drinks station later on . .

at all times with my camera, of course image

• Options
    LMH and Beders - are you still on the train as planned? I have Beders mobile so suggest we text/call when we get there. I was planning on being there around 8am ish as I don't like panic of getting there. Always prefer to have time to do everything before the race as I know I will be nervous.
  • Options
    It will be good to see you Rich, but feel free to take a break from the photography when I come along, especially if I am WALKING!
  • Options

Good luck everyone, have a good race image

Richk, see u tomorrow image

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Good luck to everyone tomorrow.

My ankle hasn't recovered enough so I won't be running.  Gutted doesn't even come close but I hope you all run brilliant PBs :¬)

• Options

Jools

When you described an ankle like a purple grapefuit I knew right then it wasn't to be, this weekend. You will be there, you will reach that goal. You've made the right decision in my book, and in a few weeks' time you'll be ready again. Good luck for that one.

Blisters

• Options

Hi Rich

I'll be looking out for you again this time hopefully before I pass you rather than having to come back for a picture like last time at 24 miles

You took one of my favourite pictures ever at 3/4 my pride and joy. I'll have to buy you a pint for that one at least

Shadwell

http://www.justgiving.com/abingdonmarathon08

• Options

I'm off to Abingdon in a few minutes, so signing off till after the race.

Have fun everyone, and may your PB dreams come true.

• Options

What time Rich?! When is breakfast being served at Casa Rich then? No chance of a lie in from the sounds of it . It's bad enough having to run a marathon without having to get up in the middle of the night image

SF2 - I'm on that train! How many stops will remain to be seen. You'll recognise me, I'll wear my pirate hoody - you can't miss me in that and Beders has my number too. I hope there's someone large on teh train that can provide shelter from the forecasted wind.

Joolska - sorry to hear that. Hope you're fully fit soon.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

sorry to hear that joolska, hope the ankle recovers quickly!

i second one blue leg's request rich - no walking pictures please image im off to abingdon in about half an hour, just some dishes to do first then hoping that the m25 is not its usual car park!