Options

East Hull 20

124»

Comments

• Options

I agree. Fab 20 miler and great prep for London/Edinburgh to guage training.

Does anyone know when the results will be available and where from? I saw a few sheets were out when I finished so hope to see them soon.

An excellent race though - really fab organisation too.  Hurray for Hull, and maybe more 20 milers..............

• Options

John - just seen your post, and can add the following:

Great marshalling (very supportive, lots of smiles and what felt like heartfelt 'well dones') although agree an extra one could be useful in the housing estate just to give confidence you're on the right course.

Sweatshirt - brilliant. Yes, it's very red, but that makes it easy to find in your wardrobe and is fab for wearing to and from races.  So much BETTER than a t-shirt.

Excellent for having tops on the water bottles so you could carry.

Super little family band playing at about the 11 mile mark - made me smile!

Course route sent out with the instructions would be handy.  Also, I got a bit lost - maybe due to change in the road layout.................anyway, maybe a photograph/drawing of the route would be good too just to make extra clear - unless it's women drivers image

Thanks John (and team). Good work

• Options
    Particularly like Just a Little Bit Mores mug idea, love my Snake Lane one and use it all the time!  The band at mile 11 must have packed up and gone home by the time I got thereimage
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Provisional results are now up on EHH site.
  • Options

again can i say a big thanks to all u runners- some very positive comments- will be presenting these to running club tonight at east hull harrriers training session

cheers

john savage - (i actually didn't organise the band but hey sounds a good idea for next year)

• Options
    John one more thought, you've had a few more comments about the sweatshirt (I've actually worn it last 2 nights when I've got changed after work) Would it be too complicated to have 2 different entries -
    a) gets nothing! and pays £7
    b) gets a technical t-shirt and pays a little bit more say £14. As runners we always need running clothes and the usual t-shirts are good for lounging rather than wearing for a run

Figures are just made up you'll obviously have to look at how the numbers stack up, but that way you don't price yourself out and runners get the chance to have something that they will get a lot of use out of

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Just to endorse all the above - this was my 7th EH20 - confirmed why I keep coming back - even tho' 2:24 a new PW (I'm getting on a bit !!)  . Liked new course (missed last year) - although miles 17 - 19 very tough, much better psychologically to turn onto finish stretch with just half a mile to go, rather than the long haul from Bransholme?? as on old course. As always, showers, tea, sarnies etc round things off perfectly.    Many thanks to all involved. 

• Options

results on website- i found that if you refresh the page it should come up

cheers

john

• Options
    Me - I like a medal after a race image.  I know some runners can't be doing with them though (probably the serious, competitive ones who want their own medal, for winning the race!).  For people like me for whom all races are achievements compared to their lifestyle before running (!) they are great.  I love the GNR one I got last year - my first proper medal!  Looking forward to getting another at the Sheffield Half.  I liked the Snake Lane 10 mug too.
  • Options
    Medals would be last on my list! (sorry RTG), really like the idea of 2 diff entries depending if you want a t-shirt (or whatever) if not too difficult to coordinate.
  • Options

Fair enough hare&tortoise image.  Optional t-shirt is a good idea I agree.  They had t-shirts for sale at a reasonable price at the Snake Lane 10 race for anyone who wanted one.  What I don't like is being left with only XL t-shirts when I only need small or medium!

• Options

I guess you'll never get a consensus...I quite like medals (partly because my daughter likes them), I don't usually like cotton Ts, I do like technical Ts...

The Snake Lane top was quite good, a sort of 'class of 08'  - except I was a transferred number and so not on it.

My suspicions are that maybe newer runners like the tops, medals, etc, as they like the trophies. More experienced runners are maybe less bothered. However, most people will take what they're given (because they've 'earned' it). Without being over earnest, there is a potential waste of resources and carbon footprint  in ordering 100's of tops that might not get properly used. 

At the end of the day, I don't mind paying a tenner if I feel that I've been looked - from the sending out of info prior to the race, to the enrolment, duirng the race and on to the post race activities.

If that's been well done, (and it was on Sunday) then in my view the club can keep any profit it makes, especially if it is re-invested in the club in some way (which I imagine it is).

• Options
    RTG - couldn't agree more about getting tops of the wrong size.  I've found in the last few races I've done though, that you could tick a box for your size and you then actually get one that fits.  The one from Sunday fits a treat and I wore it with pride to club night tonight!
  • Options

some good feedback there folks- many thanks - we will endeavour to perhaps have a discussion about it for next years race

cheers

john

• Options

This was my first 20 mile race ever - (preparing for the FLM)

Firstly I have to say how much I 'enjoyed ' it. The course was varied and interesting and I was well motivated to finish (depite the pain!).

Secondly the people at the finish were really friendly and genuinely concerned for your well-being. Which is really great when you're a long way from home.

Thirdly - well, what can I say, but, what fantastic value for money! Only £10 - and a really good quality sweat shirt thrown in! so what it's red - I sweated blood for it!

I will definitely consider doing it again next year, FLM or no!

Just as a comparison: coming up in my area is a half marathon - pre entry is £15 (£19 on the day)       and in September there is a 10k which is £12 (pre entry). The 'goody' bags are pathetic and boring and I am 99% certain I will not be entering either at those prices.

• Options

vampyr - don't immediately discount races if they're more expensive.

some events have to cover the costs of items such as policing and road closures - which can run into several thousand pounds.

just my 2p.

• Options
    just a little bit more - yes I'm sure you're right. The reason I'm feeling mealy mouthed about it is because they are both (sort of) local council run races. Club run events are more about the runners whereas the council run events are about the razzamattazz that make it a newsworthy happening with celebrities and such.
  • Options
    vampyr - can't argue with that.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Just to add,

This was my first EH20, as was up North to be with my mum and was a last minute entry.

Excellent service from ringing up to get entry, directions emailed to me, great value for money and love the sweatshirt too. A big well done to EH20 ad the team.

(Can someone iron out that hill at 19.5m next time.........)