Options

Sunday 20th April

morning

well done clink on your 5k!  is that a new PB?  i assume it is if its faster than last years PB?  very speedy!

congrats on your half marathon PB mel.  sounds like you had to really tough it out at the end.  sorry to hear about your break up.  it might be a bit early for you to know i guess but are you planning on staying in the US?

what: pencarrow lighthouse half
why: i'm not really sure - but whatever the reasoning was it wasn't  very clever.

it wasn't a bad race - although for me it was never really a race as such - i knew i wasn't going to perform brilliantly as i had run a 3mile handicap race yesterday and been out for dinner last night (more on that later).   

the course was out and back along the coastal track from where the road ends at eastbourne to pencarrow lighthouse and a bit beyond.  it was very rough terrain - the "road" such as it was was made of big rocks and stones but more often was just mud with huge puddles from all the rain we've been having.   the first half on the way out was straight into a 40kph+ southerly and to top it all off the course was long (garmin measured 10.85 exactly both ways).

i ran fairly conservatively on the way out - but even so by 7k or so my legs were tiring and starting to ache.  we were getting seriously knocked about by the wind in places and the two cattlegrids did not help.  i went through half way in about 57mins and turned with huge relief to get the wind at my back.  it didn't matter though - i was too tired by then and my legs were fading fast.  still the run back was more enjoyable.  i went through the half marathon on my garmin in just over 1.51 and finished off in 1.54.03.  

i need some serious rest and recovery now i think ahead of nelson half in 2 weeks.  i might consider a more aggressive taper than i've currently got scheduled.  right now though all i want to do is sleep and eat (sunday roast - yummmm).

on a side note - we had our club supporters trust dinner last night and i had the great pleasure of hearing dick quax speak (olympic silver medallist and world record holder in the 5000m during the 70s). he was a very interesting speaker - and a very considerate one too - making sure all the old guys got to hear about his travels around the world with john walker and rod dixon but also making sure to talk to the young speedy lads about the types of training he did, volumes, paces etc.  you should have seen their faces when he was talking about running 100 mile weeks as a 16 year old, and about later (in his late 20s) running a regular 35k circuit in training in around 2.02. amazing night.

Comments

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Morning all

What: Long ish run 2/2.5hrs am
    short run and gym PM
    Why: actually not racing
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: 10th April
    Lyrics: normal service so NO

Have a good day out there folks :¬)
  • Options

Amazing, 2 days running that I know the lyrics.  Get them tomorrow & I've equalled PB.

M
    Were the cattle grids covered in any way?  We run a 10K every year over some CGs and have covered them with large boards in the past.  This is not great as the boards are heavy things to transport & position - and they get slippery when wet.  On the lookout for a better solution.
    Dick Quax sounded interesting.

Mrs 200 has just gone to Bath for her L2 Coaching endurance module.

What:  Rest
    Why:  Recovery & child minding (do the two go together?)
    Last hard:  7 days
    Last rest:  3 days

FLM 2009 entry attempt tomorrow.

• Options

IM - well done on your pb

M - interesting race

What: 12 miles easy
    Why: general aerobic

Just toying with the idea of doing a couple of marathons as training runs in Abingdon build up.  Maybe New Forest.

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Morning

What - same as the mr
    Why - why not

200 - You'll have your own personal coach then.

• Options

Morning

Congrats to the Imskis!

well done to clink and Im and RFJ on pbs

hilly-another marathon this year??????

I knew you wouldnt be abke to resist

I have known the lyrics for the last two days

Not much to say training wise-having a quiet week with low mileage

• Options

Hipps
    Fast marathon followed by sensible recovery?
    You're turning into a professional runner!

• Options
    20 mins - no they were just cattle grids - you ran over them as best you could.  on the way out i didn't do too badly with them.  by the time i came back i was tiring and found the second one in particular very hard.
  • Options

20 minutes

even i think three marathons in eight days needs some recovery

I am no Gobi

• Options

sit back and relax hipps, enjoy the rest

M - potholes and wind, sounds like a tough time but good strength work and another 2 weeks before your main race
    sorry, no, i didn't pb yesterday - only on the 'this century' scale which i'm happy to do well on but when you look at the times some of these ladies do it makes the impossible seem possible. though i was 1st F45 i'm not counting it on the basis there were 3 F50's ahead of me and one of them ran 18.47. my real life pb is just outside 19 mins so i have really got to aim for that. i know my 5k time relates badly to my longer distances, so i need some pretty focused training

iron mel - dismal swamp ounds a bit off putting but you didn't let it put you off. nor the boyfriend problem which must have been on your mind. well done you for emerging from the trauma to get that pb, good girl

TMR - i love the way you just tap out a caual 30 odd miler. endurance is your middle name
    some notes above re the pb situation, still trying!

NZC - they do have some XC races in heaton park but we ran this one on the road through the park so it isn't as fast as you thought but it would have been nice! your hafl hour hill would have me well beaten, good training run

good luck all racers!

what - helsby half marathon route, easy running with julie
    why - we like to meet up and do this now and a gain
    last hard - yesterday
    last rest - 4 days
    lyrics- yes. mrC was trying to play it last night
    yesterday was pretenders, brass in pocket which i think everybody knew

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Greetings all,

Well done on the PB IM

M, solid racing well done.

Will try and get out for a plod later, part of which jnr may accopmany me on as he wont be able to make club tomorrow as us the road runner have an away day pub run.....! Ie short run followed by a nice social in a local hostillary.....

Have a good day all

• Options

Morning all,

I'm afraid I'm a bit out of touch as I haven't been here for a couple of days.  Looks like some good running has been going on though!

What: Highworth 5M race in 90 minutes - back later to report
    Why: it's where I live, so it's got to be done
    Last hard: Wednesday
    Last rest: yesterday

Have a good day - race well, if you are.

• Options

was reading about the salisbury 54321 - disappointing, i was planning on doing that. i wasn't going to race it tho, just use it as an lsr. but don't want to get lost...

what: pewsey 10k route
    why:   last  tempo  before  mara
    last hard: that
    last rest:  yesterday

• Options
    mavamava ✭✭✭

morning all.

Well done M on that run.

What: 6.1 miles
    Why: it's the weekend
    Last hard: that was

Legs felt fine apart from that darn hamstring which still made itself felt all the way round despite the massage yesterday.  But that run was hard hard hard.  Heart and lungs just didn't want to know.  In the end the pace was faster than I meant it to be purely because no matter how I tried to slow down and do easy HR wouldn't drop.  

One embarrassing moment though - I had got to the top of my last hill on the way home, a long steep drag and had stopped for a moment to catch my breath.  Along the road comes a fire truck crewed by a bunch of guys we know who of course had to hoot at me and wave.  Wish I'd been running rather than standing puff puff puff.  image

Scotty went up to the park and discovered the Sevenoaks Tri is taking place today.  Wonder if any pirates are there.

• Options

Morning

good luck all racers

Looking forward to seeing Boston tomorrow it has to be on Tv?

RFJ-Yes will be good to meet you at A

Clink- yes thanks I am pleased it is going well such a relief

What: 4 miles easy to HR

Why: recovery programme

Last hard: running slow enough to get HR in right zone sadly legs want to go faster

so first week back and a 31 miles it is a startimage

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

Morning..

M.sounds like a tough course one of those races wher distance and time are irrelevant...great training though in prep for your target half..great to see you on the sub 3.45 thread too..(they are all totally mad ) I met most of them last weekend..and ran with LS for 21 miles of FLM.....his thighs really are very white !

20mins (I really cant get used to that ) good luck to mrs 20..I didnt realise she was doing that course...excellent ..as for the problem witht the cattle grids at the Last Chance..apart from changing the route ..the boards are the only solution I would think..but agree ..they are trecherous when wet..

Clink well done on the placing...and it is good to see v50+ runners running so well isnt it ? enjoy your long run today..

SGQ have a good race

What  : 7 -8 ish easy miles

Why:  the recovery schedule says 5...but arrgghhh!!!!!**** hardly worth getting changed for ..

Last rest: 1 day

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done to Clink and RFJ (jnr and snr - probably ran that meeting myself once upon a time).

Donned the green 5k hat and did the swimathon. My already mashed legs suffered badly from cramp - and I felt sea-sick. But made the distance.*

May don the trainers later - now I can get them on my mashed feet again.

I've already dangled the Abingdon carrot at home - may not be popular though, training through the summer hols. Like the idea of running 20s along the coast in August rather than February though.

Altenatively - I may just do a Dame Kelly and hang up my trainers,and just turn up to things looking manly in a dress that does nothing for me.

* some fit looking swimmers were looking at my feet.

"Are you a runner?"
    "yes"
    "thought so, Did you do FLM"
    "yes"
    "how did you get on"
    "fine thanks"
    "well...what time did you do"
    "2:52"
    "bloody hell"
    "don't worry though - I'm a crap swimmer"
  • Options
    LOL TR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

Morning all,

Good work there M. - it sounds like trying conditions!

TMR and M. - I moved over here for rather than with him, but fortunately only after I had got a job for the year as well. I've got a tenure track job for next year back where I was teaching on exchange last Spring, in Farmville, which is about 65 miles south and west of Richmond. It's a beautiful place and the people are wonderful; I have lots of friends there already and (almost) have a house lined up for July (a proper Southern one with a sleeping porch). So I'm going to stay. If we had split last summer, I probably would have applied for jobs in England instead of Virginia, but to be honest I'm glad. It's so beautiful here, there are so many warm and friendly people, and the sport is amazing! There's also the small matter of almost guaranteed hot and sunny weather from May til October - that kind of grows on a person. Even though my heart aches now I have no regrets about moving. Sorry if this is tmi for the thread!

What: 3 hours easy ride
    Why: recovery from yesterday
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: 10 April

Good runnings all.

• Options

Morning, and as usual, I'll start with an observation of the weather - bloody wet and dismal here in Barnsley! Mind you, had it been sunn y and warm, I'm sure I wouldn't have mananged to do what I've done this morning.

Woke up this morning feeling hungry after a 3 days of no appetite, having endured a bout of forcefeeding of some carbs yesterday but stomach cramps most of the night, with some idea of today's LSR. I wouldn't have ventured out had it not been for my training partner coming around at 9am. We set off (me armed with gels and toilet paper) and after 4M I felt ill and my HR was 80% at 7.50min miling! When I stopped for a taking off of layers, then resumed at 8.20 pace, my HR was 77% averaging, so deicded to turn around and go home at 5M.

Feeling quite faint when I stopped running so trugding home at close to 9min miling, my HR was 78%, making me realise this had been a bad idea to even go out of the door this morning, let alone attempt a long run (can't even be bohered to correct the spelling mistakes).

The idea of food is enough to make me gyp so I won;t be refuelling very well today and maybe another day off work is called for image

What: 10.5M in 1hr33 at 76% av HR effort (very bad)
    Why: an attempt to raise the mileage............ a miserable failure
    Last hard: today

Talked to my sister last night and she said her family had this bug a couple of weeks ago. They were off food for about 5 days and felt off it for a bit longer. This will be my 4th day of not eating a lot, so woopi-di-doo image and my niggly shin and tight calf is still playing up.

Sorry this is such a depressing posting, hope the sun comes out later. 

• Options
    mavamava ✭✭✭

IronMel - glad you are sounding reasonably upbeat about things.  I hope the heartache subsides soon.

TR - LOL! 

• Options

Thanks Mava.

I've just check the weather and we have big thunderstorms coming in, so although I'll start outside on the bike, I have a feeling I might end up riding inside! The high today is 21C even so - lovely!

• Options

IM..no way oppoligise for that post it is lovely...you are lucky and have obviously made the right choice..

OH FL..what a shame...so sorry you cant seem to shift this damn bug thing..you gave it your best shot though..you need to give the tum a break...stop force feeding it..the bug is loving all that food..just make sure you keep hydrated..

• Options
    mavamava ✭✭✭
    FL - must have cross posted with you as I missed yours tll NN mentioned it.   Looks like you have to admit defeat and just allow your body to do what it must.   Definitely a day off tomorrow I'd say - how much energy do you think you'll have if you don't eat today??   Take care.
  • Options

Morning, my weekly pop in.

What: frst tri of the season, a series set up by my tri club. 500m swim, 21k bike,7.5k run.

Seemed to go fine, but I wont know times till weds as I am off to Italy for a meeting later today. Its ok I can probably snooze through it as I am not presenting thank goodness. I certainly felt last sundays jog in my legs but really enjoyed the bike.

Healing vibes to the sick and injured and race and train well to every one else.

• Options

No run for me today , body feels fine after yesterdays outing just an extra rest day to make sure.

Lyrics - Yes ( After all they are almost by a relative )

• Options

i'm glad you are liking the US mel - and perfect IM training weather too.

TR - well done on your swimathon. 

• Options
    FL - you did the right thing.  At this stage of your marathon training you've just got to head out of the door and do what you can.  With the use of the HRM you can keep the effort level low and just not worry about the pace at this stage.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

FL - firstly sorry the run didn't go to plan and you're still feeling under the weather.  To be brutally honest if things don't improve for you in the next week the amount of training you've missed could come back and bite you very hard on the backside in the marathon.  If I were you, I'd seriously think about not doing Edinburgh and choosing a marathon in the early autumn.  This would give you time to get your body back to full health and train well over the summer holidays without work pressures and constraints.

If you do decide to do it you'll have to accept a slower time than you would have hoped for.

• Options

Thanks mava and BR, it's funny how these last few weeks have been derailed by several things, yet a simple stomach bug is proving to be the hardest thing to run with. My marathon target has always been to run faster than 4hrs16 image so even if I end up trotting the distance at 9min miles, I should beat this comfortably! Hahhhahahaa.....oh.

There's always another marathon, another time.... I have loved the regularity of training so much since January and working to a set schedule has been so motivating; if I can take strength from these things then maybe I can convince myself not to be too down about the missed chance of sub 3.30.

What: staying in the house (too wet to go in the garden today)
    Why: not eating
    Lyrcis: nope.

• Options
    hilly - I have thought about it, but it's all booked and the accommodation is sorted. See my last post!