Options

Sheffield social

Comments

• Options

ET - I echo Dids's words - mind you my approach has always leant towards ' they're fine!' - invariably they are - but my friends rarely take my advice!

Baz - yup - I agree re the flight times - I'll suggest those in the email update that I send and we can take it from there - I'm happy to book now, but if folk want to wait then I guess it's up to them - so long as they know which filghts to book when they do.

Confessed to Dot tihs morning that I was pretty nervous about the Tigger Tor on Sunday, but in an 'I don't know what to expect but I'm very excited' kind of a way. She admitted to being extremely nervous in a 'diarhoea' kind of a way!!! I'm sure we'll be fine image

• Options
    Oh yeah - Baz - I'll suggest the baggage option too.
  • Options
    Mozzy wrote (see)
    Oh yeah - Baz - I'll suggest the baggage option too.

I think checked bags can be added later so we will be able to have a bit of flexibility on this.

• Options
    Mozzy wrote (see)

my approach has always leant towards ' they're fine!' - invariably they are -

She admitted to being extremely nervous in a 'diarhoea' kind of a way!!! I'm sure we'll be fine image

The 'theyre fine' approach is something you learn.  Our neighbours are young parents and when there son was poorly recently i took them to A&E and was 'oh, he'll be fine - we've done this a 100 times with our two' while they were wailing in the back of the car.

I'm sure Dot will be pleaed you shared that with us - i'll mention it to her if she's in Accelerate tomorrow image. It's just (very early onset) pre-race nerves, once some bloke with a beard say's 'You're off' at 11am on Sunday the 'competative Kate' we all know and love will turn up in full force.

I always find i'm a bit more nervous/excited before a fell race than a road race (not in any embarrasing way of course).

I was just thinking last night - has anyone seen YL lately?

Me and Mrs Didds are thinking of doing the Jane Tomlinson York 10k on 1 August- well, more for Mrs Didds as she'll be more comfortable in bigger events at the moment.

I think the loneliness/isolation is affecting me now.

• Options
    Accelerte/Brooks are offering a Brooks Technical Tee with every pair of the Glycerin bought tomorrow - i guess it will be the basic Podium Tee.  Reads as though the offer is lmited to the Glycerin shoe though.
  • Options

I'm pretty sure the Brooks rep will be there tomorrrow so that usually means a deal can be done!

Nice one re Mrs Dids race Dids! The 'competative' me will almost certainly be out in full force - but probably flat on her (very lovely it has to be said) arse for most of the course - and gasping for breath with a mile to go! Still - it's the taking part eh?

My mate sits next to YL at work - last time I asked him she was fine, but still not running - I'll check it out.

• Options
    PJAZ wrote (see)
    Me and Mrs Didds are thinking of doing the Jane Tomlinson York 10k on 1 August- well, more for Mrs Didds as she'll be more comfortable in bigger events at the moment.

I think the loneliness/isolation is affecting me now.

The loneliness of the long distance runner?

I got a flyer for the York 10K on Sunday. The route sounds pretty good going past most of the sights of York and starting/finishing at the racecourse.

• Options

I think my plan for Sunday is to keep my shoes as clean as possible avoiding mud and puddles wherever possible.

I forgot to bring my map into work today to photocopy. Given that I don't understand the numbers that are on the instructions I don't really see how a map would help anyway.

• Options
    On the news last night it said that the York race is near to full - ?! So get in quick!

PJAZ - isn`t today your last day on the sick? What are you reading at the mo? JD Salinger died yesterday so `Catcher in the Rye` would be timely and that`s a great book or `Lovely Bones` which has just been made into a film, but it is very sad. Mind you, `Loose Women` will be on in a bit . . .

I just fell over at break-time trying to stop a fight. Doh!
  • Options
    the egyptian toe wrote (see)
     I just fell over at break-time trying to stop a fight. Doh!
    Fab! I love a good scrap.
  • Options
    Loser Baz wrote (see)

I think my plan for Sunday is to keep my shoes as clean as possible avoiding mud and puddles wherever possible.

I forgot to bring my map into work today to photocopy. Given that I don't understand the numbers that are on the instructions I don't really see how a map would help anyway.

LOL - good luck with the clean shoes, i wouldn't fancy ur chances.

Each reference point has a six digit number, on the OS map (1:25000 scale) the first 3 numbers should be located along the bottom of the map and the last 3 numbers are the reference up the side of the map - where these lines cross is the point of reference.  For example, for the 298821 reference you would go along and find 29 and then count 8 squares along (Taylors Hill) , then go up the map to 82 and then count 1 along (Ecclesall Nature Wood Reserve), the cross point of these two lines should be the 'Sports Gd'.

My best advice is to run with Sheils - i printed and laminated a copy the map/run area with all the known reference points marked on it. image

• Options

I know – let’s all post a joke to keep Dids entertained/ sane.

Here’s one from the Smiley run yesterday: 

Teacher: Right children – I want you all to think of a sentence that incorporates a difficult word – todays word is CONTAGIOUS

Daphne: I know one miss! ‘My sister came home from holiday with a contagious disease’ 

Teacher: Well done Daphne. Anyone else?

Billy: I’ve got one miss! On Saturday my Dad was looking out the window and the bloke across the street was painting his rendering with a 2 inch paintbrush and my dad said: ‘It’ll take that CUNTAGES’
  • Options

I think they said the race will fill up fast - but there are 5,000 places for York alone and there are similare events in Leeds etc - but we will book soon - though at £26 each it ain't cheap.

LOL - i bet ur falling over stopped the fight quickly cos they were probaby all laughing at you instead.

I'm reading Charlie Spedding's book at the moment (wel, not right now - i'm typing this right now).

• Options
    PJAZ wrote (see)
    Each reference point has a six digit number, on the OS map (1:25000 scale) the first 3 numbers should be located along the bottom of the map and the last 3 numbers are the reference up the side of the map - where these lines cross is the point of reference.  For example, for the 298821 reference you would go along and find 29 and then count 8 squares along (Taylors Hill) , then go up the map to 82 and then count 1 along (Ecclesall Nature Wood Reserve), the cross point of these two lines should be the 'Sports Gd'.

My best advice is to run with Sheils - i printed and laminated a copy the map/run area with all the known reference points marked on it. image

Cheers Didds. That kind of makes sense though without the map in front of me still a bit difficult to check.

• Options
    Mozzy wrote (see)

I know – let’s all post a joke to keep Dids entertained/ sane.

Here’s one from the Smiley run yesterday: 

Teacher: Right children – I want you all to think of a sentence that incorporates a difficult word – todays word is CONTAGIOUS

Daphne: I know one miss! ‘My sister came home from holiday with a contagious disease’ 

Teacher: Well done Daphne. Anyone else?

Billy: I’ve got one miss! On Saturday my Dad was looking out the window and the bloke across the street was painting his rendering with a 2 inch paintbrush and my dad said: ‘It’ll take that CUNTAGES’

That's rude. But pretty funny image

• Options

Eh up gang!

Mozzy - agree with you and Baz on the flight details, though I may wait till after Australia to book it as I've still got to sort about 1700 internal flights in Australia to get around the place, it's bloody huge! Asked a travel advisor about getting from Fraser Island to the Whitsundays (doesn't look that far on the map) and she said I could either take an internal flight with airline A, B or C or I could drive and that it would be about a 10-12hr drive!! It's ok though I'll plant a shrub or summat to offset my slightly larger than normal carbon footprint! image

Dids / ET - what time you thinking of going down to Accelerate tomorrow? I'll probably come down as I reckon a signed copy of the Charlie Spedding book would make a nice present for me Dad, might get myself one as well! Will probably pass on the run though. Jason was down the club last night, and I like to think of myself as being quite strong on hills but it was amazing on the main climb of the run (about 15mins of relentless slog) he just flew past me and disappeared, he's a bit good!

• Options
    Stuart H wrote (see

Dids / ET - what time you thinking of going down to Accelerate tomorrow? I'll probably come down as I reckon a signed copy of the Charlie Spedding book would make a nice present for me Dad, might get myself one as well! Will probably pass on the run though. Jason was down the club last night, and I like to think of myself as being quite strong on hills but it was amazing on the main climb of the run (about 15mins of relentless slog) he just flew past me and disappeared, he's a bit good!

Not sure - probably between 10 and 11.

LOL - now you know how we feel running with you image.

• Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Loser Baz wrote (see)

Baz - just take the A-Z of Sunderland you mentioned a few pages back image
  • Options
    Oh Lord - do I have to check the co-ordinates? Can't I just follow everone else?
  • Options
    Mozzy wrote (see)
    Oh Lord - do I have to check the co-ordinates? Can't I just follow everone else?

Worth marking the checkpoints on the map but yeah in reality just follow everyone else, if you can follow a Totley or a Dark Peak vest that would probably be a good bet!

• Options

And also probably impossible to keep up! I'll pour over  the map tinight and make a copy for our Dot.

Will I have to run with all my layers tied around my waist Stu? If you reckon we need to be there for 10 it's a long time to hang around in just my running kit  - or will there be somewhere to leave stuff for the 3  hours or so that I'll be on the moors? I'm really making a big deal out of this aren't I?

• Options
    Mozzy wrote (see)

And also probably impossible to keep up! I'll pour over  the map tinight and make a copy for our Dot.

Will I have to run with all my layers tied around my waist Stu? If you reckon we need to be there for 10 it's a long time to hang around in just my running kit  - or will there be somewhere to leave stuff for the 3  hours or so that I'll be on the moors? I'm really making a big deal out of this aren't I?

How are you getting there Mozzy? I'll be driving and parking at the rugby club so will just leave my stuff in the car before heading off. Alternatively there is the clubhouse so I am sure you can leave stuff in there if needs be.
  • Options
    Stu - not sure if I`ll be at Accelerate. If I do go it`ll be later in the PM.

PJAZ - Me falling over had no effect on the fight, I`m afraid, otherwise I`d use that tactic more often!

If I have to start wearing these motion control shoes, will I qualify for a disabled badge for my car?!
  • Options
    haileunlikely wrote (see)

Cack, i'm assuming you wont be drowning sunday morning?

I love this thread! Belly laughs guaranteed! image (though mostly at Cakes expense it has to be said) (you love it really don't you Cake?!)

Stu - I was going to try out my new mtb and cycle there on Sunday, but Dot has refused point blank to let me give her a backie so I'm driving - just thought I may have to park a way away, but if I can get in to the car park then I'm sorted! Cheers!

Look out for some of our lasses those of you that are going to Accelerate tomorrow - Stu/Dids - if you see Dot try and put her mind at rest about Sunday will you please? (for some reason she's not paying an awful lot of attention to me)

• Options
    Stu - you need to update your photo now you're a bearded dude.
  • Options
    Mozzy wrote (see)
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2432/4001501182_48dcc0dfe6.jpg

imageimage

I'll try and snap a good un with my camera on Sunday. 

• Options
    PJAZ wrote (see)
    Mozzy wrote (see)
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2432/4001501182_48dcc0dfe6.jpg

imageimage

I'll try and snap a good un with my camera on Sunday. 

This guy looks too young to be McStu.

• Options

Bbrrrrrr

sunny and cold for Sunday morning - possible frost/ice i would think.