Options

Calling all Bupa Great North Run hopefuls

Comments

• Options

Simply nominate yourself (or a fellow forumite, or second an existing nomination) on this thread, in no more than 250 words, before midnight, July 3.

Name: Stuart Jamieson  (Sk2000at)

My 21st birthday present to myself was cancer, but given that I now 39 I it goes to show what those fine people at the Charmers Surgical and The Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh can do if they catch it all early.

After this wake up call a re-visit to Uni and continuation of Martial arts kept me going until I became injured.  And then I started running The goal was actually run the Great North Run (it was a lot easier to get into in those days) and then around mile 8 my knee got damaged, which really cut down on my running. I got back into the saddle and since then I have focused on 10K and lower, running a number of races locally to Edinburgh, but I've always wanted to finish that race, this time running all the way.

Half-marathon goal: 1hour and 30 minutes (or less image )

• Options
    Michael Longford should win!
  • Options

I’d like to be part of the Runners World team so they can help me to get my edge back since I did a ‘Rocky’ and came out of retirement in February 2008 after 9 years out of the sport

Although my physic is not as it was when I started running in 1989, I have since completed my first race after 9 years, Kingswinford 10k May 2008. The race reminded me what I’ve been missing in road running, the friendliness & camaraderie of runners, so I have since entered the Wolverhampton half marathon in September which will be 101st half marathon.

I started running in 1989 when I decided to be a spectator at the London Marathon than watch it on TV. From then I took up the running bug and 5 months later, completed my first half marathon in Slough. Seven years, 1900+ miles and a lot of aching joints later, I completed my 100th half marathon in Slough. After a short retirement for three years, I completed my 5th London Marathon dressed as Green Dinosaur in 1999 and decided to give the old legs a well deserved rest

Being part of the team and having the nutritional products to help refuel my legs (lets face it, Lucozade is the cheapest fuel around these days!), will help make my training for races more enjoyable then strenuous. Either 10 weeks of pain or 10 weeks of fun, I’m up for being a team member in The Great North Run!

• Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭

I will vote for Bryan the Snail too

he is my other half and has watched me train hard for four IM races in the last three years, and has also, because of his bad back, donut habit and fluctuating motivation, seen me gradually running away from him, which I'm sure is disheartening

he could do with some training advice and attention for himself, and a re-kindling of his belief in his ability to run - when we started running 4 years ago he was much faster than me, and I'm sure he will be again, with the right training

of course I still think it would be good for both of us to train and run the same event, as suggested by a few other voters    ; - )

• Options

Hi, I'm Lisa Davren.

I've been jogging for a few years. I say jogging because I did the Great North Run in 2006 in 2hr 20mins.

Since then I've been planning a wedding and got married and subsequently got out of running! My friend did the GNR again last year and is doing it this year. I want to beat her!!

My goal for the GNR would be anything under 2hr 10 mins.

I NEED you to train me because I am lacking in motivation and I work shifts as airline cabin crew so its too easy for me to say I' m too tired. Plus I could get video footage of me training in different countries!!

Save me fom being a lazy wife!!!!!!!

• Options
    hi my names jasmine lowdon, training goal is sub 1 hour 30 minutes. I'm 18 in 3 weeks time and have really want a challenge. From the age of 12 to 15 i suffered from anorexia and therefore didn't enjoy running for the stress reliever and natural trill of being out knowing you can run as long and at your own pace, instead i used it to burn calories and it took the fun out of running. However after a while in hospital i recovered fully and have been well for over 2 years. Running has taught me to respect my body as i no if i don't i'll be injured and relives pressures in my life. I ran another half marathon in 1 hour 34 minutes raising £200 for the eating disorders charity. i would really love the opportuunity to get to sub 1 hour 30 minutes and enter for races for charity.
  • Options
    Name: Steve Throssell

I have run over 20 half-marathons since 2000 with a best of 1:18:49 over 4 years ago. I train 3-4 times a week totalling 20-30 miles peaking at 40-50 if I am training for a marathon. I seem to have hit a plateau in my training which I am unable to break through as evidenced by my last 5 10k's all being within 11 secs of each other! Having a properly devised training plan along with the nutrition and other back up would, I am sure, enable me to take that next step.

The Great North Run is an event I have always wanted to do as I love the atmosphere of big city races and the course and quality of field lends itself to the possibility of fast times.

My minimum goal would be sub 1:20 but I would be disappointed if I wasn’t able to break my PB after a 10 week structured training plan.
  • Options
    Hi, I am Tom Rathbone aged 48 years and weighing 16 stone.

Running history. Was occasional runner in my university days, and completed half-marathon in 1 hr 59 mins then. Had three boys (the third is severely autistic) in quick succession, and had a wife (now very nearly completed divorce) who would do very little of the childcare/housework over many years, and the stress of the situation led me to overeat and get severely out of condition. I was up to 21 st 10 lbs five years ago, when I had an attack of acute pancreatitis and was hospitalised for 12 days. Another attack followed 18 months later, and made me realised there was no alternative to changing my ways. Lost two stone through a combination of walking and better diet (and less stress after wife left), and took up running about 18 months ago. Initially I couldn't run more than 400 yds without stopping, and took several weeks to get to be able to run a mile. Have done two half-marathons this year; the last being Dundee a couple of weeks ago in a time of 2 hrs 14 min. I had to walk quite a bit of last couple of miles, and calculate that I would have been quite close to two hours otherwise. Initially weight-loss and improved fitness came quite quickly, just from running 5-6 times peer week, typically for three miles.

My goal is to gradually lose the remainder of my excess weight, and that, and better training should enable me comfortably to beat the time of my youth. Would like to start thinking about a full marathon once I have achieved this; just want to get to my full potential, and need better structured program and advice to achive this.

I feel my story would act as inspiration to others that anything is possible, and that is is surprising just what can be achieved when you set your mind to it, no matter what the odds against.
  • Options

Name: Maria Carlton

Brief running history:  Until the start of this year I had never done any running or much exercise, I used to avoid it like the plague! When my Grandmother passed away in January 2007 from heart disease, I decided to apply to the London Marathon through the ballot to rasie as much money as possible in her memory. I unfortunatly I did not get a place through the ballot, but got a place through the charity I wanted to run for the British Heart Foundation. I took part in 2008 Flora London Marathon with a finish time of 6h29m49s, I put this time down to not training properly.  I ran Lydd Half Marathon in 2008 in time of 2h31m14s. I love to run and if I enter a race always use my place to raise money for charity. I feel that its nice if others can benefit from what I do. I have not applied for my own place for the GNR.

Reason why we should train you: I need all the help that I can get. I am recovering from damage to my right knee cartiledge and would like to know how to train properly to avoid any future injuries. I have noticed a change in my health since I started running and as there is a history of heart problems in my family, running is a great way for me to keep fit and improve my health. I love running and the feeling of freedom that I get when I run and also the sense of community that you get from other runners when you run past each other and say hello, even if you don't know each other.

Half-marathon goal: My one and only previous half-marathon time is 2h31m14s. I would love to beat this time by at least 30 mintues with a finish in about 2 hours.

• Options
    Name:  Jo (AKA Sherbs)
    I started run / walking approx 18 months ago and as my training has been very "hit and miss", progress has been minimal.  I have taken part in 2 marathons (London 2007 and Paris 2008) and I did finish, although not in great times!!
    I got through the ballot for this year's GNR, and now need to lose weight and become a great deal fitter.  I am built more like a St Bernard than a Whippet and my predilection for Chardonnay and Dairy Milk is renowned.  What I have never had is any proper training or guidance and I am very keen to improve my times.  I have no doubt that a good training plan plus the fact that I have to regularly report back will give me the kick up the bum to not slack off when the going gets tough - can you image the abuse the other forumites will sling my way if I confess that a trip to my local pub / take away was training du jour!  Also, if sharing my experience encourages others, who likewise are not as fit or slim as they could be, to take up running, then that would be an achievement in itself. Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to help me successfully finish the GNR in a champion time, be fighting fit rather than fighting for breath, whilst shedding my ‘Wide Load’ stickers. 

Goal:  2hrs 15mins.....yes, I do believe in miracles!

• Options
    I am 38 years old and been running for 20 years. for the first 16 years, I ran solely for fun. But I started to ask myself, how fast I could run a Half marathon. I read mountains of running books by authors such as Tim Noakes and Jack Daniels to try and devise a program that worked for me. I have chopped my PB from 1:30 to 1:18:30 two years ago. I run for the local running club where I have improved my speed over 5K to 10K but the club does not gear training sessions around the longer distances. Most schedules are geared towards achieving slower times, whereas I want to aim nearer towards 1:15. I run three times a week, a tough interval session on a Tuesday, long tempo on a Thursday and a long steady on a Sunday. I believe that I would be a good subject as I fall within a forgotten time group, which in a lot of races is also a lonely place.
  • Options
     haven't really done a lot of running, a couple of London Marathons, a few halfs, a few more 10k but in general I just run to keep fit.

The reason to train me, I intend to run 65 miles in June 2009 to celebrate the 65th anniversary of D-Day, raising money for the service personnel injured due to conflict in Iraq and Afghanistan. Currently I have suffered a knee and hip problem from self training and need some expert advice to reach my goal.

My goal, to complete the Geat North in a reasonable time and collect money on the way for Project 65

• Options
    Name: Paula (Pegg)

Brief running history: Started running in 1999 on treadmills in an effort to live a healthier lifestyle. I set myself the goal of running the GNR but injured my knee and had to pull out. I carried on running off and on and finally ran(?) it in 2005 in 2:55! In 2006 I was on garden leave for four months (lots of time to train - although I didn't have a training plan) and got my time down to 2:23 (and my weight down to 9st too). Since then I've been working again (and broke three toes, and badly twisted an ankle) and have found it hard to find the time and the motivation. The weight has now crept up to 11st+ and my estimated time for GNR this year will be 2:55 again - I'm mortified! I want to run faster and further and feel fit again...

Reason why we should train you: I need a kick up the backside to make me do it! Training guidance would be fab because I'm scared of injuring myself again so never know quite how hard to push.

Half-marathon goal: 2:20-2:25
  • Options
    Name: Gary Spencer

Turned 50 2 years ago and set myself a number of personal goals one of which was the Flora London Marathon for which I had a place this year with the Guide Dogs, but due to an ankle injury I was forced to give up. So, 12 weeks on and fully rested and committed to doing the Marathon next year I'm about to gently start back into training and have my sights on a number of 10k's and halves prior to next April.

My target time is to be below 2hours but a 1:50 would be fantastic.

I have the Garmin, Asics, determination, along with ready, willing and able. Receipt of training and nutritional advice from a company such as Lucozade Sport would be the icing on the cake and the necessary carrot to ensure that I will succeed.

• Options

Name: Michael Dymond 

For the last three years I have been studying Sport and Exercise science at the University of Gloucestershire whereby I achieved a 1st class honours degree.  As a result of my interest in sport, health and fitness I have been running and training recreationally throughout my life. However, upon completion of my degree I have been taking my training more seriously with my ultimate goals changing from recreational fitness to sport specific fitness (endurance running). I currently train 4 times a week using my knowledge of sport science and the information provided by runnersworld to achieve every single goal. I currently have a place to run in the Cardiff half marathon and am in the process of applying for both the Cardiff 10km and the Flora London Marathon. I believe you should pick me as I have studied and undertaken endurance fitness and training throughout my life. The experience I will gain from Lucozade Sport will benefit both my training and the knowledge gained from my degree immensely. I am a very motivated person who strives to reach above and beyond every goal. I am known as a person who is dedicated to success and refuses to fail.  

Half Marathon Goal = Sub 2 hours  

• Options

Name John Ferguson

History I left the armed forces in 1994 after 14 years service, and moved to Milton Keynes were I found life difficult to adjust. I let myself go and my weight went up and up, along with this I was put on medication for high blood pressure. In 2006 my wife became a slimming world consultant and I stuck to the weight loss programe she offered me, we had a gym membership which we used maybe five times a month. The normall excuse for not going was I was to tired or it was to late. A friend introduced me to the runners world magazine and reading some of the stories in it gave me inspiration to don on my running shoes and go for a short run/walk which half killed me. In March this year I took part in the Milton Keynes half marathon and finished in a time of 1 hour 58 minutes. I had lost three stone in weight and my doctor stopped me from taking medication, as my blood pressure was back to normall. Since the half marathon I have suffered a number of injuries and my weight has started to go back up, I have got a place in the Great North run and I am running for the strokes assciation. I need a new incentive and I think that the training programe you are offering would be the ideal kick up the back side I need to help me re focus. My goal is to run in the London marathon in 2009 and to raise a much money as I can for my  charity. 

• Options
    Hi, I'm Tracy, 29 (much nearer to 30 than 29!) a full time teacher and Mum to Sam who's 4 in November.
    Just after the 2006 FLM, I suddenly decided I'd do it in 2007, in memory of my younger sister Samantha who sadly passed away aged just 13 weeks. Verdict- Cot Death. Training for FLM, opened up a whole rollercoaster of emotions. I'd never been a runner and I always thought my bum was too big to run and it would wobble... it does, but I'm working on it! I trained and did it- euphorically.... and again in 2008. In training my best 13.1 time was 2:18. I'd love a sub 2 hour one and KNOW I'm capable! Since FLM I've lost my mojo. There seems to be a brick wall at the front door. I've strangely become frightened of running on the streets. I don't know why and I don't know what to do about it. I WANT to go, but that brick wall keeps jumping up when I try. I don't have any current goals, but a place on the team with all the right support, so I HAD to go out and prove I'd done it, would bulldozer that wall right out of the way! I'd love this opportunity- if only to stop my bum wobbling even more! Thanks for reading!
  • Options
    FAT, UNFIT and GETTING OLDER - BUT WHAT POTENTIAL!imageName: Darrin Cutting
    Brief running history: Have really just been "playing" with running for a number of years. I have done the last 5 GNR as well as a number of 10K's but absolutely nothing this year and desperate for the "spark" to get me going again.
    Reason why we should train you: 5'8", nearly 15st and over 40 do I need to say more? I have been overweight all my life and would just like to have the motivation and drive to sustain my efforts of weight loss and fitness. Having the focus of a training regime would be i am sure just the incentive I desperately need.
    Half-marathon goal: I have done the GNR 5 times now and never got under 2hrs and that would be my goal. Anything better would just be a wonderful bonus.
  • Options

Previously a competitive swimmer, I started running in 2002 because I was a poor student and couldn't afford to pay for the swimming pool as much as I'd liked ...and running outdoors was free!! I entered the Cardiff Half Marathon as something to aim for and as soon as I had finished I wanted to do another. Since then I have completed 7 half marathons and my PB is 1.34.

However, I only run alone and only when I want to (my motivation is somewhat variable) and I never wear a watch. Therefore to have the opportunity for some 'proper' training would be fantastic. Also I'm a Northern currently living in Bristol and I would love to return up North and compete in the most pregious UK half marathon.

Half Marathon goal is... to go faster!

• Options

Name: Liz Parry

How excited am I by this competition? - VERY!!

I started running 2 years ago after having back surgery on my slipped disc - the most hideous  thing that has ever happened to me (and I've got 3 teenagers........).  I have completed 3 10ks in about an hour, the Silverstone half in 2h 20mins and FLM in 4h 53min.  I ran the marathon for backcare, I was hoping to finish on the same day I started (!) so was thrilled with my time.   I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the event, what a fabulous day.

I would love to finish the GRN in 2hrs and to learn about smart training and gaol setting.

To achieve this I need your help - I have no natural apititude or ability but I do enjoy my running and am commited and determined (I completed a training run on Christmas Day - it was on my schedule, so there was no excuse! - got some novel festive heckling though...).  I would really benefit from professional training and nutritional advice ( apparently running too soon after Sunday dinner can have disasterous consequences!).  I am a theatre nurse and find that some days are "can't be arsed" days, due to shift work and v busy shifts , so I need events to aim for to keep me motivated.

HELP MEimage

• Options
    Name: Teresa Edgley, age 40

Running History: From being a real coach potato, I took up running for Race for Life 6 years ago and haven't looked back. It has contributed and helped keep off a 9 stone weight loss. I have entered about 8 half marathons and have done the GNR on 2 previous occasions. I currently run 3 or 4 times a week, about 20-25 miles in total.

I have twice managed to finish half marathons in just over 2 hours, and I would so love to break the two hour barrier, but it just seems to ellude me.

I have a place in the GNR already, and would love some extra help to get through that milestone.

Thanks
  • Options

Name: Mike Whyatt

Brief running history:  I was a fell runner for 3 years in my 20s in the 1980s but never went on the road.  In year 1  I started running half way through the season.  In year 2 I was 4th in the FRA English Championships. In Year 3 I was 2nd in English Championships (sore knee on Wasdale lost me 1st place).  I then stopped running (demanding career, family, etc) for 15 years!  I am now having another go as a vet and doing some road.  I have managed 32:30 for 10k and have just run a 76 minuted half marathon in Hanmer Springs NZ on gravel forest trails with 1000feet of climb!  Not bad for a 45 year old.  I train regularly but not scientifically.  I have always wondered what I could do with a bit of coaching.  Have never done any speedwork. Ever! Tried to get a GNR entry this year but was unlucky.

Reason why you should train me:  I reckon I could do well in vet 45 category. !/2M is a good distance for me.

Half marathon goal:  Sub 72 minute...or maybe better.

I am lean and keen.  Let me have a go, please image

Mike 

• Options

Unfortunately I haven't got a "Brief running history" - I've got a "Running history that's brief!"  Served 6 years in the RAF in Cornwall and Devon, really enjoy hill running and finished a couple of half marathons and 10k's aswell as an adventure triathlon last year, erm thats it i suppose....

Like everyone else the training will inevitably motivate me from my eratic regime but I think  really it would just be nice to train PROPERLY for an event and go into it with the knowledge I'm ready as I can be, and with that in mind an optimistic time of 1:25 can't be too far away.....

• Options

Good evening everybody here is the voting from ST1 ....TORQUE STEER !

Thank you .    image

• Options

Name: Maija Bissett

Brief history: I ran my first ever GNR/half marathon last year. It was always my dream to do it as I went to university in Newcastle but never had the courage. The race coincided with my late brother’s 40th birthday and I felt it was a fitting tribute to someone special to complete my dream and raise money for a charity whose work helped him (BHF). I hadn’t been doing much exercise since having my kids and after seeing a picture of myself at my 30th party, I thought I should pull myself together and change my life. I have lost a fair few inches and some weight but am now stuck in a rut and need help kick starting my fitness and nutritional change. I was very active in my youth but as I finished University, started working, had children, life just got too busy!

Reason to pick me: This year’s GNR will be even more special than last year’s as my little girl is taking part in the Mini GNR and next year my son can do it as well. They are the reason why I get up in the morning and hit the road. I want them to have a healthy life, and to enjoy sport as much I and my husband do. I am trying my hardest to bring them up to enjoy being active and I believe this prize could help me help them.

Goal: I want to be able to run the entire distance, not just jog!
  • Options

My name’s Steve Platt, I’ll be 54 a week before the run, and if I’d listened to the consultant who saw me at University College Hospital in 2002 I wouldn’t be doing this. I’d got a crushed spinal nerve that left me wondering whether I’d be able to walk properly again, let alone run. The consultant warned me off all sport on the grounds that another injury could leave me paralysed below the waist. Fortunately her colleague gave me just enough encouragement to decide that the risk was worth taking.

Six months later I climbed Kilimanjaro and soon after that I went for my first run in over a year. I celebrated with a swim in a lake in a thunderstorm, where a family of otters decided to come swimming with me. It was my personal miracle.

I can’t say I’ve never looked back but there’s never a run I finish now without saying a quiet ‘thank you’ for how fortunate I am to be doing it. And having read just a few of people’s stories here I know I’d be all the more fortunate to get this opportunity.

I’d like to think that with the right training and motivation I could get below 100 minutes, which those age-grading calculator thingies say is the equivalent of my fastest-ever time back in my twenties. I promise to bring all the motivation I can muster – to my charity fundraising as well as my running - if you help me make it happen.

• Options
    Name: Richard Barnette

Running History: Started running in January 2007 to get fit while living in hotels during the week for work, as it was the middle of winter I went on treadmills following the beginners programme. Started building the mileage and signed up for a HM but unfortunately had to pull out 3 weeks before due to illness last August. I kept trying to run again over the autumn and winter but was unable to until I had an operation in May. Couldn’t wait to be able to hit the road so started running again last month and am hooked again.

Reason why we should train you: Loving my running and get up at 05:00 4 days a week and run 6 miles with a longer run at the weekend. I am seeing an improvement in speed and stamina but would love some professional coaching as not sure where to go from here. I’ll be the first to admit I am not the fittest or fastest but I have so much enthusiasm for an overweight 40 year old.

Half-marathon goal: Less than 2 hours but with the right coaching who knows what is achievable!
  • Options

Name Richard Johnston

Age 47

This would of been my 5th GNR but for the fact I missed out on the ballot, over the 4 years improved PB to last year of 1.34, the aim would of been to smash through 1.30 but as I say missed out, so lost interest in running ran a couple of 10ks through the winter/spring did not train as I should of done which resulted in poor times and a further loss of "get up & go" cos it had "got up and went".

So what to do? entered london marathon ballot for 5th time for 2009, should be sure of a number cos its 5th attempt??

Need help & assistance to get back the enthusiasm to hit the ground running (scuse pun) GNR/Lucozade and a structured training plan is what I need to get me back to where I belong on the streets, pounding the highways and byways of the sunny north east which will lead onto exiled essex boy look to dominate london April 09.

Please choose me I need to add to my achievements..............

• Options

Name: Sandra Rowland

Running history:
    I’ve been running for around 4 years and though I'm not fast I love racing I’ve run 7 races so far this year – including 3 half marathons; a 20 mile road race; 2 10k's, and a 5 mile road race. I’ve also successfully completed a challenge 50-mile walk in March this year,(Challenge4Charity) and was both surprised and delighted to be in the first group of four to complete the walk, in just over 20 hours. My half-marathon pb is 2:10:33

Reason why we should train you:
    I enjoy challenging myself. Whatever target I set, I do my utmost to achieve it. I will always run, because it is one of the most important things in my life – it gives me the energy and enthusiasm in my busy but very enjoyable job as a Teaching Assistant in a High School. I would love to take on this ultimate challenge, which will probably be the last chance I have before age takes over (I'm 51) and my times start to come down – I need to prove that I can, with help, run a sub-2 hour half marathon - I know that I can do that, with the support of professionals - and where better than the Great North Run, which will take me back to my northern roots, where I was born and brought up.

• Options

Name

Richard Roche

why should you train me?

Apart from being overweight, just gone fifty and having to miss out on most of the first half of the year because of injury,(including having to pass on a place in the London Marathon) I'm not sure.

Have managed 2hr 29sec at Reading and would love to break 2hrs but in current condition would struggle to get anywhere near it

While most folk my age are sat on their ar*e at least I am trying to do something and having a training package that was focused would be fantastic

regards

Richard