Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: Pleased of Higham

Comments

• Options

A good strong run in the heat. It was bound to be tough, especially as your preparation wasn't really ideal.

Encouraging though that you did it.

• Options

RE: takeaways - Chinese is prolly the worst for dehydration cause of all the salt in the food.  Other takeaways shouldn't be as bad tbh, but then again there's the least amount of fat in Chinese too.  You're prolly better off not having takeaway before any longer runs or races image

Saying that I had a very small bowl of chinese last night and I'm out for a ten miler this morning lol....talk about not practicing what I preach image  (I have drank quite a bit of water which should help image)

Hope you have a good time at the seaside anyways! 

• Options

Hi Sue

well done with the LSR yesterday

I am trying to follow your schedule ( keep swapping the days however - i.e rest yesterday ( sat.) & did about 9 1/2 miles today  ( early morning Sun )

No pressure on me to keep to schedule - understand how you have to stick to it.

well done - great effort - 1st week over, keep up the good work

• Options
    You don't have to stick exactly to the schedule - it's a guideline that common sense will sometimes say best to not do what is down there if you are carrying a niggle, cold, or are short of time. And maybe occasionally, you may think it is possible to do more than was suggested, if your fitness is increasing, or an opportunity arises to do more though probably best to seek guidance on that.
  • Options

Sue,

Congrats on getting picked, are you from Higham as in Derbyshire?

I am an Alfreton lad myself image

• Options

Sorry Chris,

I'm not in such a lovely part of the country, this is Higham as in Northamptonshire but it does have it's moments.

• Options
    Damn, was gonna request a training run with a celebrityimage
  • Options

Thanks Chris

Don't know about the celebrity bit but I would have liked that too. 

Tommorrow I've got 10 mins easy with 5 x 800m at 10k pace with 2 minutes recovery then 10 minutes easy and I have that all planned for 7am tommorrow morning before work.  Early night for me tonight. Let you know how I get on.

• Options
    Hope sesssion went well. I would never be able to run quickly that early.
  • Options

Having enjoyed two days rest (I did incorporate a little cross training in the shape of swimming in the sea at Hunstanton and plenty of walking) quite looking forward to the session this morning even though it’s early, I did take a photo to prove that we were ready to go at 7am but I need to find out how to download it?

Fortunately I have two friends who were willing to run this early with me (both faster runners) so I shall have some encouraging pacers to help keep me going. We set off in cooler weather which is a welcome relief after all our hot runs. Started with a 10 minute easy run to the Lakes just over a mile away from home, this is mostly downhill so I found this good for easing into the session ahead. Once at the Lakes I used my Garmin to time our laps, this consisted of 5 x 800m 10k pace with 2 minute recoveries. One friend kept an eye on the pace whilst the other became our pacer, 1 was the time keeper ,between us we seem to have managed to maintain a fairly constant pace. These are the stats:

Lap

TimePace13.45.987.34 /mi23.48.497.39/mi33.43.867.30/mi43.40.757.24/mi53.40.267.23/mi

Cont:-

• Options

I'll re-write the stats as I put them in a table but this does'nt seem to work.

• Lap 1              Time : 3.45.98                   Pace:     7.34/mi
    • Lap 2              Time: 3.48.49                    Pace:     7.39/mi
    • Lap 3              Time: 3.43.86                    Pace:     7.30/mi
    • Lap 4              Time: 3.40.75                    Pace:     7.24/mi
    • Lap 5              Time: 3.40.26                    Pace:     7.23/mi

I initially felt really good until the third lap when we turned to head for home and encountered some resistance from the wind, the fourth and fifth laps became increasing more difficult as we were tiring and battling against the wind. We were all pleased to reach the end of the final lap and take an easy 10 minutes home. Unfortunately, as the route down to the Lakes is downhill that means on the way home it’s uphill but I felt strong enough even though my quads felt a little tired to keep a steady running pace all the way to the top, after this we walked a short distance to help stretch our legs.

Back home we had a much needed cup of coffee and it was agreed in hindsight that we enjoyed the session and could definitely see the benefits, I’m hoping they haven’t been put off and will join me again next week as I find their support very important and it is not a route I would like to run alone, if not, my partner will be joining me on his bike.

Tomorrow’s session is 60 minutes easy; this will probably be a solitary run with my ipod for company,  a little bit of me time.

• Options
    On the nutrition front I made sure that I had a bowl of cornflakes with my large cup of coffee this morning and during the run I carried and drank 250ml of Lucozade Body Fuel, I find this more digestible than the Hydro Active, as I am not used to carrying energy drinks just water I was concerned that I would feel sick with such a strong concentrate but so far so good.  I am a little concerned at giving the Gel's a try, next long run I shall probably give it a go but I'll take plenty of water with me.
  • Options

Hi Sue

Sounds like you are really getting into your training - and enjoying it!

I used gels this year when I did FLM and they are not so bad, as long as you take them with water. It's a bit like eating glue - not that I have ever done that I assure you - but texture seems very similar. Give them a go and see how you get on. I know some people get a bad stomach from them and can't use them but I found them very beneficial. Used them on long training runs and in the marathon itself and found them a lot easier to digest than jelly babies.

Hope all goes well.

Kate

• Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    Great session Sue and an earlier riser too I see. I like the early morning stuff but, like Coach Steve, I'm not sure I could run super fast that early. I mostly do the LSR's at that time of day. I hate running in the wind - in fact I'd say it's the weather condition I like the least!! However, it is a good form of resistance training so I can sort of deal with it because of that. Enjoy your day (now that your run is out of the way) I'm heading out at lunchtime for my speed session.
  • Options

Well done Sue on another terrific run.  

I got lessons on how to download pictures and videos from Scottish Mike on the GNR thread so if you still need help, I'll be happy to email you instructions....  Nobody told us we would need a degree in IT did they! image

• Options
    Great early morning session Sue, far more detailed than my little runs. I tried a 7am run on Sunday and it was terrible. I was wondering how you carry your drink? I've a 500ml Asic drink bottle in a waist belt but it bounces all over the place. image DT.
  • Options

Thanks everyone,

I mangaed to write with more detail today as I have been given the morning off, back at work now but don't tell the boss!

Kate: I can't eat and run, Anne is always trying to feed me Wine Gums but I just can't manage them, I might be able to swallow a piece of her homemade cake though. Have some longer runs on Saturday mornings so will have to get together out your way (Pitsford perhaps) and I can give the gel's a try.

SJ: Hope you had a good time at Center Parcs and your lunchtime session goes well.  I don't mind running early in the morning but I shall probably be fast asleep on the sofa by 8 o'clock this evening.

KGL: Thanks Tracy: We looked a bit dishevelled this morning so it's perhaps as well I could'nt download them. I will give it another try later if I have no success I will take you up on your offer of help.

DT: Had a litle bit more time this morning and once I started talking I could'nt stop. I use a Rucanor 250ml hand held drink container I bought it sometime ago but I think you can still get them from JJB Sports. I don't really like carrying bottles but needs must, I have'nt found a better solution.

• Options

I wish I could run in the mornings, but if I'd done today's session I would have had to have gotten up at ten past FIVE to fit it in. No thanks!

Well done on your pacing, nice and even but getting faster towards the end. Nice!

• Options

You should be really proud of the session, especially in the windy conditions and so early. The overall pace is good and your disclipline and stamina look on course too - the two fast ones at the end are excellent and encouraging.

I often find I run a fast last one as I know it's the end, but to do such similar times for both the last two is special

• Options

Thanks Steve

I did feel good when I got home but I could'nt have managed anymore. Towards the end my head was definately in control of my legs telling me to push on were nearly there. Feeling a little tired today but looking foward to the easy 60 mintues this evening, an opportunity to enjoy my surroundings.

I had a little surprise today, the 5k race I ran last week I came first in my age category FV45, but perhaps there was only one female in that age group  Putting things into perspective the FV50 was quicker than me by nearly 3 mintues so not that impressive. That's what I need to aim for after December.

• Options

Thanks CC2

Getting home for a nice cup of coffee was pulling me through yesterday morning.

I did manage to stay awake until 10pm but I was fast asleep in bed before you posted, need your sleep when you get to my age. Out on a 60 minutes easy today, weathers hot again so I shall leave it until later this evening. Just my ipod and me, lovely.

• Options

Hey Sue,

well done on the FV45 win.

My Lucozade chap, Tommy asked me to do the diary. I will have to confess to having one of the fairy cakes the kids made this afternoon.

I have the option of going to a 21st in Barrow on Friday or to the Brewery in Kendal but I am on call so I have managed to dodge the 10 pints and kebab I would have had.

The Garmin was great yesterday but I found myself looking at the stats every 100yds just to see my heart rate and pace (mostly 155 but topped out at 162 on a slight climb)

D.T.

• Options

Wednesday’s session - 60 minutes easy!

Planned to run at 7pm, got home from work with 15 minutes to spare so only had time to change into my running gear and as I was feeling hungry find something to eat, decided this was a good opportunity to try a Lucozade Energy Bar. Devoured the food and drank a glass of water, filled my bottle with Lucozade Body Fuel and set off.

Had the company tonight of my friend Sam who is a seasoned marathon runner and has helped many people train for the London Marathon. My other half came along too on his bike as moral support and water carrier.

This turned out to be a run of two halves. Took our usual easy run down to the lakes and started my Garmin at the gates, I set the pace from the start, the plan was to run for 30 minutes out and 30 minutes back allowing ourselves some walking/stretching space at the end.

• Options

It was another warm evening, lots of people on bicycles and walking their dogs, a lovely evening to be out. Now what was I supposed to do, oh yes. 60 minutes easy, I am lousy at pacing myself I have the watch and I can read it but I just seem unable to take no notice of it. Covered the first 30 minutes in 8.30/mi average, was finding it hard to maintain any sort of conversation apart from a sporadic one liner. The weather was hot and not a great deal of shade and things were beginning to feel anything but easy.

After 30 minutes we stopped for a drink (not at the pub just a quick slurp of Lucozade) and a telling off from my friend. Took my Garmin off me and said that he would pace us the 30 minutes back. What a different run this turned out to be, maintained a good 20 minutes at a constant 9.20/mi, managed to hold a full blown conversation with some words of wisdom from Sam. About 10 minutes before the end we picked up the pace slightly as I wanted to try and finish strong and covered the last mile in 8.33/mi average.

• Options

Learnt a very valuable lesson today, it’s not all about explosive speed particularly the further you run, it’s about maintaining a constant speed so you can cover the distance. It’s taken me four years for that basic piece of running know-how to strike home. Now I understand why I have experienced burn out around ten miles into a half marathon race. Thanks Sam, now I shall work on this. Might be a good idea for me to follow the RW Pacers at the GNR and I shall certainly use my pace band, will try and run with some sort of strategy and not leave it to luck as I usually do.

Got back home for a cup of coffee and Bangers and Mash for tea/dinner/supper.  Next positive step, sort out my nutrition, it’s not only what I eat but when I eat it.

DT : Shall start a food diary today.

• Options

Well done Sue,    I am the opposite dimension to you,  I have got the constant pace and feel a bit like a diesel engine sometimes once I've warmed up and got going but ask to me run at any kind of speed intervals and I'm stuffed!  That's why I've been doing speed sessions on the treadmill but I'm going to be brave this week and find a long path to do them on.... 

Bangers and mash?  phwoarrrrrr..... image

• Options

Hi Tracy

I've eaten a bit better tonight homemade Tuna Pasta Bake, off on my Thursday session, I'm feeling very tired and I'm not sure I will do it justice. image

Once you start running outside you'll love it, I need to get out in the fresh air having been cooped up all day in the office, it's a great sense of freedom.

• Options
    I can't believe you managed to eat and then run straight away. I have to leave at least 2 hours!
  • Options

well done on the run. It is important to learn pacing and holding back. It can almost seem sometime you are running too slowly, and you should be going quicker, but is amazing how a pace that can feel so slow at 3 miles can feel so hard at 11 miles, but the more you save in the first 5 miles, the more you can use in the last 5 and can speed up instead of dying slowly

The RW pacers are good but not sure how practical it will be to follow them at Great North Run. I tried pacing the sub 1:30s many years ago, and it was so crowded, the first 4 miles were about 1:40 pace, and therefore had to run quite hard for rest of run to get back on schedule.

The best thing is to learn pacing yourself from your training, and also build up stamina, which you seem to be doing very well.

• Options

HI Sue - agree with you on the running outside - it took me weeks to build the courage to do it and I hardly every run on the treadmill now - it can be quite useful though to watch your legs in the mirror and play around with different stride lengths, postures, etc and I have definitely improved my running style though experimenting like that.

Give me an outside run anytime though!