Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: Pleased of Higham

Comments

• Options

Sue

You don't need to do it again, as what you did I'm sure was fine, whatever your Garmin says.

I have every confidence that what you did will stand you in good stead for the coming weeks.

• Options

Thanks you guys for all your support.

Yes I was pretty much on target, managed a bit more speed at the end and feel confident and encouraged for what lies ahead.

CC2: I am jumping up and down on my Garmin as we speak.

• Options

Is it a 201 you have Sue? I used to have one and I did love it until it finally gave up the ghost on me. It didn't retain signal very well though. Now I have 405 and it even gets signal indoors! 

Maybe you  could wear the Garmin on one wrist and the Nike Sportband on the other. Wouldn't look odd at all image.

• Options

Yes it is a 201 and I have had it for nearly four years. Time to upgrade I think.

I intend to try out my new trainers on Tuesday so I shall take both the Garmin and the sportsband, can make some comparisons then.

I always look odd anyway.

• Options

Wow, 4 years? I'd only had mine for 2. I had to delete all of the data on it, which improved it for a while, but then it soon went back to having senior moments -  asking me if I'd moved 500 miles when I was in the same place, if I was indoors when I was in the middle of a field and asking me what day it was. It's memory went funny too and it only showed the first 3 miles of every run I'd done. Which was particularly annoying when I was trying to check my time in a 10k race!

• Options

Sue where can I find the link to your training schedule for week 6 onwards please?

• Options

Hi Sid

The new schdeule should be available at the top of my profile page over the next couple of days but until then here is what we have in store this week.

Monday - Rest (needed after Sunday)

Tuesday - 10 Mins warm up 4 x 1M at 10K pace (7.45 with 2.15 recoveries ie starting every 10 mins) 10 mins cool-down - I shall be doing this tonight.

Weds - 45 mins easy

Thursday - 45 mins easy with middle 15 mins at half marathon pace

Firday - Rest

Saturday - Rest (slight change from schedule as I shall be doing the Nike Human Race 10K at Wembley on Sunday otherwise it's 100 mins slow (9 - 10 pace)

Good luck with your training.

• Options
    Thanks for the update Sue & have a good time at Wembley it is a fantasic stadium
  • Options

Hectic day again at work, feeling sooo tired, Sunday’s session is still taking its toll and I’m not looking forward to a speed session tonight. 

To cheer myself up I’ll try my new trainers and Sportsband, spoke to Jayne from Lucozade yesterday and took her advice to drink some Body Fuel well before my run to hydrate and fuel me.  

Set off with Sam on our easy 10 minute warm up.

CC2 – Took your advice went out looking odd with Garmin on one arm, sportsband on the other, and for good measure a Lucozade bottle in hand, I’m ready for anything. 

Not sure if I am supposed to do anything special with the sportsband, I hear people talking of calibration? It starts working but always registers much faster than the Garmin and unfortunately, I think the Garmin’s right, will have to look into that one tomorrow. The new trainers feel great; I wear Nike’s anyway so these are what I would choose myself so I’m lucky in that respect, but I digress.

• Options

At the entrance to the lakes we start our first mile lap, I keep one eye on the Garmin and one on the Sportsband, have a good idea where the mile marker will be, double check it with the watch, we don’t want to run any further or faster than necessary. Feel that went quite well but we need to get our breath back before we turn and run the next mile. Its much harder in this direction, we have the wind against us and there is slight incline which you can really feel when you are tired, heads down, no talking let’s just go for it. After about three quarters of a mile the pace seems to slow down noticeably and it becomes harder but it’s only a quarter of a mile to go and we can have some recovery time at the end. 

Turn, only two more laps to go, this way’s better, wind behind us, a descent instead of an ascent, this one seems the fastest yet. Recovery, turn, last mile, need to grit our teeth to finish this one as strong as all the others but we can do this, one final push.  Finished! 

We take an easy jog back home, Job done. 

Tonights session: Each lap 1 mile at 10K pace (7.45) with 2.15 mins.recoveries.

Lap 1  Pace 7.37/ml 

Lap 2  Pace 7.42/ml

Lap 3  Pace 7.35/ml

Lap 4  Pace 7.41/ml 

I’m pleased with our efforts tonight, considering I felt tired and weary before we started we managed to maintain a steady pace. Happy with that, now it’s time for bed.   

Good Night.

• Options

That's an excellent session - consistent pace, fast running and hitting the targets with something in hand.

You have every right to be pleased but tired!

Don't worry about what speed you run tomorrow.

• Options
    Great running Sue. I tried to go sub 8'/ml last night and didn't manage it. Let me know how you get on with the Sport Band, mine is still in the box. Looking forward to Sunday but with that may people running I don't think it'll be a PB day. I came 187 out of 225 in the race the other week with my 54' but I was still chuffed image. Would love to break 50'. DT.
  • Options

Hi DT

I have just downloaded my first run from the Sportsband onto the Nike+ site,  it looks easy to use, now I've read the instructions. I shall use it initally with my Garmin so I can make comparisons because according to the Sportsband last night I was running avg.6.38/ml (shame but I don't think so).

I have a 45 minutes easy tonight so I shall try it again now I know what to do with it.

Sunday looks huge, I'm getting quite excited about it.  Have you received your number yet?

With 30,000 runners, that's nearly as big as the London Marathon, this one is for us to enjoy, we will treat it as a party.

• Options

I have just got a text on the mobile to go and get my pack from Nike Town, Oxford St. before 8pm Sat image. No number as yet.

Starting to make it hard work. I hope it's worth it because it's costing a few quid for me coming from Kendal.

Have you received your number yet Sue?

• Options

45 minutes easy last night.

Ran an old hilly route to the next village, haven’t been this way for a while, a nice warm dry evening and in the company of Sam. 

Goal was to be out for 45 minutes, no pressure on pace, just an enjoyable evening run Thank you Steve.. Ascent into Stanwick is very undulating and with my legs still a little tired from last night’s speedwork we took it steady. Ran with my Nike+ Sportsband, thought I’d give it a try, easy to use and much lighter than the Garmin.

Once we reached the village we went down the hill through the High Street and to the Lakes, crossed the dual carriage way, in through the main entrance, quite a few people around tonight circumnavigated the small lake and headed back towards home, I think we’ve done enough. I’d eaten about an hour before I ran, so I was now paying the price with stomach cramps, not too bad just annoying. 

Only time I checked my watch was to see if it was working.

Finished before 8pm with the climb back up the hill to home, good uncomplicated run.

Downloaded the run onto my computer, which is so easy and simple to do, ideal for me, connect to the Nike website and an instant readout, I shall have to spend time on here to see what else it can do but a simple readout is all I need tonight.  Not sure how to set up lap readings or anything more complicated.

Distance covered 5.37 miles Time: 47.59 minutes Avg. pace 8.56/ml
  • Options
    Good run Wednesday. Hope Thursday's went as well
  • Options

Last evenings Run – 45 minutes easy with 15 minutes in the middle half marathon pace 

Drove down to the Lakes, didn’t fancy running down the lane on my own, my other half came with me, he’s new to running so he was going to try some running and walking. 

From the off I had troubles with all my equipment, couldn’t get the Garmin to settle I was registering paces from 7.15 to 12 and the Sportsband settled at 7.15/ml which seemed too fast, I hadn’t a clue where I was so just ran to the feel of it.  

After an erratic 15 minutes easy I tried for half marathon pace so increased my speed. Passed a dog who wanted to play, jumped up at me, he was soaking wet from swimming in the lake, managed to avoid contact but still got wet, Thanks. Continued interweaving through families on bikes and dog walkers, busy again tonight. Ran out of one path, turned to loop another lake, saw my other half who was coming n the opposite direction, a few hand gestures to tell him where I was going, and I found a quieter place to run. 

Was beginning to enjoy this run, 15 minutes soon over and slowed down, this bit needs to be easy so take it easy, time to make the most of my surroundings. Last 15 minutes soon over and I met up with the other half, I ran and walked with him back to the car. Wasn’t looking forward to this tonight, still feeling tired but it went very quickly and we are both feeling much for it. I don’t necessarily believe the stats. because it all seems a bit too quick but this is what my Garmin says. 

Lap 1 -  Distance  1.91 miles  Avg.Pace 7.52/ml   Time: 15.03 mins

Lap 2 –  Distance 2.00 miles  Avg.Pace 7.30/ml   Time: 15.00 mins

Lap 3 -  Distance 1.78 miles   Avg.Pace 8.27/ml   Time: 15.01 mins

• Options

Well done on the session. Obviously stats may not be totally correct but you obviously ran the middle part faster and ran it well. I think it would be better to do the first bit slower so you get more of a transition/acceleration.

• Options

Just received my t-shirt for the Nike+ 10k tommorrow at Wembley, was getting a little concerned.

How about this for a race number 0883444.

• Options

Sounds like you've had some good runs Sue and I love your video!   I wish I was doing the 10K tomorrow now  image

Loved your video by the way!

• Options

Hope today went well Sue.  Looking forward to reading about it! 

Forgot to say - you're picture in RW is so glamorous!!  

• Options
    hope today's race went well
  • Options

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/Pleased-of-Higham/SueandGuyatWembley.jpg

Sue and Guy at the Nike+Human Race Wembley

Brilliant time last night, very late home. Race report coming soon

• Options
     Last night’s training schedule was bit different to usual, running with a 30,000 strong team of runners in the Nike+ 10k Human Race. Arrived at Wembley mid afternoon as all the activity of preparing for the race was in full swing.  Impressive vision of Wembley Stadium as you leave the tube station and I start to get a feeling of excitement at being part of this huge event. Had a quick wander around and then a trip to McDonalds (sorry) for some carb. loading, chance to sit down and watch as more and more people start to arrive in their red t-shirts. Planned to meet up at the Lucozade Pod for 5.30pm, it was pouring with rain at this time and the pod was heaving with people. Received a very warm welcome from all the Lucozade guys who looked after us and made us feel like VIP’s, this was also my first opportunity to meet up with Guy; and what a very nice fella he is, seems as if we have known each other for ages. Time is ticking on and I’m starting to panic need to get prepared, change socks, put on and set up Garmin, Nike sportsband, Lucozade pace band, Livestrong wristband, Wave 1 wristband, running out of arm space, where’s my Lucozade Body Fuel, have I got my Wembley Entrance ticket, stop faffing and go and enjoy yourself. Walk to the stadium with Guy and my partner but we all have to go our separate ways to different entrances.
  • Options
    I’m not a football fan but you have to prepare yourself for your first step into the stadium, you must have your eyes shut if it doesn’t take your breath away. A sea of red as thousands of people in red t-shirts blend with the red of the stadium seating. Music blaring from the stage by “Pendulum”? add to the atmosphere, sit down for a while just to take it all in. Half an hour to go, Seb Coe and Paula Radcliffe have been on stage to offer their support and encouragement. Moby are now on stage so quick last loo trip and I spend the rest of the time walking around trying to loosen up. We are in Wave 1 so we will be the first to go, join the huge crowd gathering around the exit which is the start line for the race, “come on let’s get going”. The race is started by Paula with a few last words of wisdom, “Remember your pace”. 3.2.1…..off, Stop, start, stop, we immediately encounter a 90 degree bend which causes a huge bottle neck, gets nerve racking when you know you have crossed the timing mat. And were off… Don’t get pulled along, keep steady. Oh.dear!  It’s pouring with rain out here, never mind will help cool you down. Follow the crowds interweaving through the barricades, we are corralled through the Car park and eventually out on to the streets. It’s getting dark already and the rain is getting decidedly heavier, stick with the crowd, feeling good, it gets a little tight around the corners but I feel I’m keeping a good pace Then the Garmin does it to me gain, lost pace and distance but at least the clocks still ticking away so I will use my pace band to monitor how I’m doing, one problem I can’t read my paceband in the twilight and I’m not going to wear my glasses, no way, just keep moving. See the front runner pass us on the other side of the road must be a good 10 – 15 minutes in front, give him a cheer, wish that was me.
  • Options

Know I’m at the half way point as they are handing out water, drank some, gargled with some and poured the rest over my head, well I was wet through anyway, wheelie bins line the course so no water bottles to trip over, what a sensible idea. I must have missed 90% of the kilometre markers, no idea if I’m anywhere near target or not. As we approach the final stages of the race; support has been limited on the course as access was denied to pedestrians; we run a quiet empty street to take a sharp 90 degree turn and are faced with huge cheering crowds, music, tannoys, the magiificent view of Wembley lighting up the sky and a 200 metre sprint to the finish. Have avoided puddles all evening but the course is now just one big puddle and there is no choice but to run straight through it, one final push to the finish line.

Cross the line, check my watch, 47 mins 48 secs, I had been wearing an ambitious 45 minute wristband so felt a little disappointed but it is a PB so it’s one for the book. The most important thing was that I felt I could go on, there was still power in my legs or perhpas that means I had't tried hard enough? Collected my souvenir shirt, and walked back to the pod to meet the other half, beginning to feel quite elated and absolutely soaked from head to toe.  Stop to watch and film some of the action, had a cup of coffee to warm myself through, can’t wait to take off these wet trainers and socks.  Let’s head home. Guy kindly texts us with hold ups on the M1 due to flooding so we circumnavigate the motorway to get home.  Results are now on the website, times; as feared, not as good as my watch.

Time :        47 mins 56 secs ( still a PB by 41 secs)

2.5km         avg. pace 5.04/km

5   km         avg.pace  4.35/km

7.5km        avg.pace  4.45/km

10  km       avg.pace  4.47/km 

Well done to Guy who ran an impressive 55 minutes, he is going to be one to watch, this is only his second ever race. Thank you for your company it was a great evening. 

• Options

Great report Sue and massive congrats on an impressive PB!!!image You'll get quicker too over the next five weeks!!!

Gutted I missed the race now as you painted a great picture of it and I'd loved to of seen the stadium. However, will meet up with you in Sheffield at the weekend where I fully expect you and Guy to go quicker again image

• Options

Great running Sue - and you obviously lost time in the first 2.5k as you were running sub 47 pace thereafter.

I have seen results and you were third W45, so well done.

Great report, like Jason, wished I'd done it myself, and got some others to do too as one of my female runners from my club could have potentially won it and she would have beaten Sonia O'Sullivan and Paula Radcliffe in the same race!

• Options

Thanks Steve,

Thats fantastic, I'm really pleased.

It was a great evening, even the weather could'nt dampen the atmosphere, one for the calender next year.