Options

Trionium Midsummer Munro Half-Marathon

Might anyone be interested?

By the way, the 2008 race raised over £1200 for charity - primarily Rianna's Fund, a local charity that supports orphanages in Uganda and Kenya.

Comments

• Options

Quite possibly image  I shall want to see all those mad souls doing the Picnic!  I need to think about the Knacker Cracker next. image

Glad to see so much money raised for Rianna's Fund, my youngest was in her year group at school and I think it's a very special charity for a lot of people in Ashtead so thank you for your efforts!

• Options
    Thanks for that. If I was starting a charity, it would be one just like Rianna's Fund.
  • Options

Tiger

I laughed all the way around 2007 just watching the Picnic-ers, they are completely bonkers.

It really takes your mind off the pain your own legs are going through image

• Options
    I'm in, Dr. Rob, and for Leith Hill and the Knackercracker as well! image
  • Options
    TCPTCP ✭✭✭

I loved it this year so I will be there again next year.  All other races since have been a little bit dull.

For some strange reason, I am considering doing the Picnic.  Mad.

Can't do the Knackercracker as we go away for Christmas but I'll sign up for Leith Hill.

Great to see so much money raised.  Well done.

• Options
    I have just signed up for the 2009 Munroe.  image
  • Options
    So far the only Trionium Event I have done was the Ashtead 10k, but now I'm up for the Knacker Cracker and this, with the Picnic in my sights for 2010. The fact that these are for Rianna's Fund just adds another element as to why I want to do these seemingly mad races. I spent 3 months at the first orphange in Yala, Kenya during my gap year, and so know how much that money can mean. A massive well done Rob
  • Options
    ...and apart from the other Trionium events why not do the Orion 15 on the March 21 - fits in nicely between other races and 4 am using it as a warm up for ssshhh The Picnic (off now for some more tablets)
  • Options
    TCPTCP ✭✭✭

I was considering the Orion.  Looks really good but its the same weekend as the Ballbuster and I've always wanted to do that.

• Options
    Ours is a lot cheaper  image
  • Options
    I believe congratulations are due to Dr Rob - three of his races (is that the right word?) in RW top 14 and the MM number 1. It was by far my favourite and I did 44 races last year. Roll on the Picnic (less than 6 months to go)
  • Options

Would love to do this one Dr Robert, but having just now realised that, after the run-through, the race won't actually start until 6pm (or later), it will leave it far too late for me to get back home at a respectable hour.  Sorry.  image

Couldn't the race be done without the run-through?  Why does it start at 4pm?  image

• Options
    Erm Mr F, the run through is on a different day and isn't a pre-requisite.  The race starts at 4pm on race day, most runners are done and dusted by 7pm.
  • Options

Ermm ...... run-through on 6th June, race on 20th June....doh!!  image

Might enter after all......................................

• Options

hi there,

by the time this event comes up, i'll have done two halfs that are quite flat. would i be biting off more than i can chew entering this?or should i start running up and down hills 90% of my training time?

image

• Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

A Cunning run - Will be my first time too...and I`m rubbish at hill running - I`m adding hill work into my training runs.

To those who have run before - I`m thinking on having a `support crew` i.e. a few freinds there before & after the race. Is there space near the starting & finishing area for a pinic / bbq & a kick about before hand?

• Options

hi mr k,

glad you're on my wave length. i just saw this and want another challenge/new goal after my lydd half in march. otherwise i'll succumb to biscuits, tv and no running! this seems the left field answer to just doing more halfs/ 10ks.

i have a friend who's trying to pursuade me to do a marathon, but that's next year maybe, seems like a load of effort, especially if you want to get a good time in. which i would!   image

• Options
    GRBGRB ✭✭✭

Just entered this (me and OH) - I too need to do something different after lots of halves and 10s, and one marathon and a few short fell races - realised I will never be fast so instead am going for longer/harder/madder races instead.

I have very rashly entered the Snowdon race in July - the fell race not the road marathon, so this is a) perfect timing and b) just about the same amount of ascent, though in bits not all at once (not sure which is worse tbh lol). Since I also come from not far from Epsom and used to work there, and miss the lovely Surrey hills, couldnt be better!

Looking forward to it, it sounds an amazing if ludicrously painful experience - I am also pretty rubbish at hills (up that is, always seem to make up places going down again!) so plenty of practice will be required - any excuse to pop over to the Ridgeway or up to the Peak District image

Re shoes - as even a very very amateurish trail and fell runner I am accumulating a wide variety of shoes - do I gather from the website that road shoes are definitely the choice for this course? At a recent race in Epsom which was on footpaths but superbly muddy I was more than glad to be wearing Inov8s as I sploshed slightly smugly past lots of slithering runners! THey all overtook me again on the dry bits but it was fun while it lasted.

• Options
    Mr K - I think it is less about being good at hills than being good at steps! 
  • Options
    This looks interesting ... if barking mad ... for someone coming by train from Reading, would Betchworth or Dorking Deepdene be the best option?
  • Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    Muttley - if you get a bit stuck would a lift help?
  • Options

Oooh, I might come back to you on that one, Mr K. But I fear I might be a bit slower than you.

Quite happy to go by train if feasible, but if not this would be a good fallback option. Cheers mucho!

• Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Muttley - no worries. You did alright at Frimley.

• Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    Mind you this one is not fast - am going for a PW here image
  • Options

Muttley - go to Deepdene; the Munro start is a short(ish) walk from there.

DR. Rob: nice feature on the Skyline 10K in 'the other mag' today!  Good one!

• Options
    Thanks guys ... looks like this one is accessible .... seems "undulating" might be the right description image
  • Options
    Not done this race before.  Did the Steyning Stinger in 1.54ish yesterday and looking for another challenge.  How does this compare?
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    OK, I'm in. I have a feeling I might regret this.
  • Options
    Just think 'steps' - it really is worthwhile having a look beforehand.  I did Southend (very flat half) in 1:24  (Watford 1:26 Roding 1:26 etc) and with a similar level of fitness did this in about 2:15.  I did enjoy it much more than Southend though but I am not sure why
  • Options

Hey, Muttley,

I've signed up for this event and if you want you can grab a lift with me? I'm from Bracknell so just down the road.. As long as you don't mind waiting around for me - I don't think I'll be very quick..

Anyone offer any advice on type/frequency of hill training I need to do for this run?

Scotty