Options

Newbies 2

Comments

• Options

Meglet

Thanks for explaining that - the race wasn't big, about 552 people apparently (didn't seem that many at the start) but I did hang back because there were quite alot of people jostling to get to the line, and as my main aim was to finish within the cut off time for the race (2 and half hours) there didn't seem much point in getting in the way of the very serious runners.  

Have 1 mile easy, 4 fast, 1 easy tomorrow, am going to practice maintaining my pace a bit better.

That sounds like a good run Caz.

Em

• Options

Hi all.

Blimey, the Loch Ness races are this Sunday, it's come around so quickly!  You'll have a great race Caz, I'm sure of it.  Just be very careful when you start that you don't get carried away and storm off like Paula Radcliffe!  Given the fact you'll be racing, I reckon sub 60 minutes could be on the cards for you... image

Shinny, you will be able to improve your 5k time, I have no doubts about it (says the man who hasn't improved his 5k PB!).  By doing LSR's, speed work and hill work, your times should come down without any perceived extra effort, just keep at it.  There's nothing stopping you training for 5 and 10k at the same time.  I always enter races at short notice and the distance varies from 5k up to 10 miles and lots of distances inbetween and I rarely change my training.  Your 5k training will help in a 10k and vice versa so there's no need to panic.  That would obviously be different if you were training for a marathon.

• Options

this might sound stupid but what is a lsr?

Thanks

Shinny x

• Options

Hi All!!

MD - I've posted a comment, I hope the facility stays open.

Shinny - Don't worry I asked the exact same question about a week ago - its Long Slow Run.  Well done on your time you did great!! 

Blimp - Its good to know that my incline training on the treadmill will pay off (hopefulllyimage)

Loch Ness Races? They sound like fun, Feel like whole new world opened up image and Im going to enjoy it

• Options

Hahaha sub 60... Yeah in my dreams Blimpy.... Talking of Paula Radcliffe, B pointed out to me on Saturday that he can tell when I'm struggling as I bob my head ala Mrs Radcliffe...  image 

Are you back training yet or still taking it easy with the fizzy???

Ooooooh nearly forgot, other than an initial twinge by my ankle bone on Saturdays run I was relatively pain free... Woohoooooooo!!!

• Options

I think you need to do a bit more than setting the dreadie to an incline Claire!

Caz, why would a sub 60 min 10k be dreaming?  You should have more confidence in yourself!  You've been running for a long time now so your confidence should be at a higher level than it was when you first started.  Have some belief!!!

I'm going to go to the track tomorrow night to have a slow run on a softer surface than the road.  Yesterday and today my knee has been fine so hopefully I'm on the right road to getting back to full fitness.  I reckon another couple of fizzy visits and I'll be OK.  Mind you, once I am back to full fitness, I'll be going to see my fizzy about once a fortnight for maintenance work in an effort to stay injury-free. image

• Options

Evening all!

What a lot of catching up to do, sounds like loads of peeps had a great weekend for running!

Pidge - well done on your distance and pace, sounds really good and I'm a bit envious! I can do the distance just not the speed! Love the 'Toxic 10' description, so true!

Em & CJBA - Congratualtions on your races, total respect for both of you, such an achievement. Sounds like decent times too!

Jenf - Well done on yours too, really glad you enjoyed it. What's the next goal then?

MD - Congratulations on the tri result! All I can say is wow!

Meglet - thanks for the tip on displaying 'average lap pace' I think that would work better for me, will try it next time.

Col B - Sorry to hear the run/walk didn't go too well, hopefully your coach will have some good advice on it, keeping fingers crossed for you!

tlwoods - Hello from another forum newbie, only just started posted on here regularly and already got loads of good advice! Love it that you've been window shopping for new gear already image

I did a 6 mile LSR yesterday checking out the route for my next 10k, there is nasty hill right in the middle of it image  might have to practice it a few more times so I don't feel so daunted faced with it on race day! I was aiming for a pace of 12:03 but only managed 13 min mile average as I struggled to keep my HR down at an easy level if I sped up a bit. What do you guys aim for on your LSR's is it pace or HR a combination or do you just run? image 

• Options

Hello,

Just thought i would remind you all im still kicking aboot. Training has been pathetic recently due to lack of motivation and just dreadful weather. Not good prep for the baxters 5K im doing this weekend, and on that note, good luck to everyone doing the 10K. My Missus is doing the 10K. I wimped out of the 10 due to a lack of training. Next year i will tackle a few 10Ks but for now i will stick to the 5s.

Hoping to get home soon aswel and away from the West coast. Hopefuly better weather and street lights so i can go out at night and see where im going!!

Where in Skye you from Cat? My dads side of the family come from the south. Slate, wee village called Tarskavaig.

Keep up the good work everyone!!

• Options

K4T, on my LSR's I run  by pace - I stay between 8:15 and 8:45, I don't do HR training because my HR is always so high lol!  When you're racing if your HR is high, don't worry.  My HR has been as high as 193 in races before, I push it that much!  However, I never let it get that high in training.  You will eventually learn to really push it in races.

You'll be fine in the 5k, even though your training hasn't be very good lately BJB.  After all, it is only 3.1 miles, you'll breeze it!

• Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6KnUW9N3Zo&feature=player_embedded

Are you still pole dancing SJ? I saw this and thought of you...

Cheers Colonel. All i want to do is beat my last time of 34:22 but im not overly confident. Can but do my best. Getting out a couple of times this week might help.

• Options
    Go out tomorrow, Thursday and then on Saturday morning just do a gentle 3 miles with a few strides thrown in as a loosener.  You'll beat your PB, of that I have no doubt! image
  • Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭

evening all. I've rested today!

MD6 what a great day, a PB even with cramp, i take my hat off to you.

TLW, pink tops rule..image

BJB welcome back, get out there and run!!!

SJ good to hear from u again,

CJ, i'm feeling on top of the world today! work all loved my medal, they were all impressed. I ache a little, but nothing worse than a hard session at gym. how bout you?

Em, are you aching today?

K4T, i'm not sure wot to aim for next, I plan to just enjoy running without any pressure for a few weeks.

I went along to suss out a local running club this eve, it may be nice to have company for dark eve runs. they seemed v nice, so i'm going to run with them next mon and see how i get on.

• Options

HI..

new on here but recently got the bug to run again after a few years off! Scary getting back into it but pretty exciting too!

My goals:

Beat my previous PB of a 49'28 10K

Do a marathon sub 4hr

Lose my beer belly! lol

• Options

hello Mantra and welcome image

just back from a run with club-havent been for a few weeks but a good turn-out tonight now nights are getting darker. headtorch might be needed next week image. but it felt pretty good, i didnt get left behind at all and we kept a steady pace, might have been 10.30-11.00mm, difficult to tell cos we stopped a few times so with stops it averages at 11.30mm. the half training must have helped cos i managed much better than usual and dont feel knackered now!

shinny tries to run... wrote (see)
    And also what do i do now training wise? Do i attempt a 10k or try and improve my 5k time - dont think that is possible as am bad asthmatic and my time was a miracle !!

Please let me know

Shinny xxx

well done shinny image  You could certainly aim for a 10k and gradually extend your long run. even if you dont do a 10k you'll find a 5k easier for having trained a bit longer, and you'll be faster at 5k too
    K4T wrote (see)

I did a 6 mile LSR yesterday checking out the route for my next 10k, there is nasty hill right in the middle of it image  might have to practice it a few more times so I don't feel so daunted faced with it on race day! I was aiming for a pace of 12:03 but only managed 13 min mile average as I struggled to keep my HR down at an easy level if I sped up a bit. What do you guys aim for on your LSR's is it pace or HR a combination or do you just run? image 

i've done both. generally for an LSR i aim to keep HR below 70%, but it usually rises once i start to go uphill, so i'm not strict about it. however, for my last LSRs for GNR training i wanted to "just run", so i just kept at a level that felt easyish. i find it easier to keep a steady pace when i dont refer to heartrate.

dont worry about going slower in training, even on the race route, i always run a lot faster on race day image

• Options

Evening image and hello. I'm Jo and I've migrated from Newbies 3..

Returning runner and three weeks into the RW 8 weeks to 5k and entered my first marathon last night (Moray Marathon).

• Options
    welcome jo, mantra and all new newbies and greetings to everyone else!
    K4t - thanks for feedback on my lsr on sat - but the term toxic 10 isn't mine (but i forget whose).
    Did a gentle 2 miles at 10:20 tonight as my old knees are still a bit creaky from the weekend. Having said that i can't wait to do that lsr again. Glad that 'just run' is an acceptable way to do it - i think trying to keen to a pace or hr would spoil the enjoyment of the lsr for me!.
  • Options
    apologies for spelling/wrong words on my last post - blame predictive text on my phone!
  • Options
    Miss assister, correct me if im wrong but did the moray marathon not just take place a couple of weeks ago? I take it you mean next year? Are you a local in Moray?
  • Options

Hello image

Yes it did and yes, I meant 2010. I need a year to train lol!!! I'm an ex-Moray'er but now living on Royal Deeside.

• Options

Evening everone,

Well done again for those who raced at the weekend, hope you are all rested/resting. I hear some of you are doing a 10k way up in scotland ( it is way up their for us southerners) How's the training going, feeling OK?

Hey Pidge- Nice little run tonight I thought a heard a creak!!! lol I like doing the LSR not as pressured as my usual midweek training. Started my 4 week 10k training plan for blenhiem palace on the 25th oct.

DId my 5k run tonight by the light of the moon ( and a couple of street lamps) in 24:42, seem to be hovering round that mark, got an easy run 2m on wednesday and 5m tempo run on thursday.

HI Miss A (jo) Glad you have got the bug for running, hoe are you finding the 5k training program? By the way I'm a demon cake maker too!!image

Blimpy - nice to hear you can finally start doing some light training, hope it goes well tomorrowimage

Hi to everyone else, SJ NIc Meglet, Jenf  Em BJB CJ, bugger I can't remember anymoreimage Still glad everyone sounds sort of almost injury free or on the mend! 

• Options

Hello folks!  First chance ive had to log on all weekend so ive got a load of catching up to do!

To Carol and Em doing your HM's this weekend im so sorry i didnt get a chance to come on and wish you luck...cant wait to read how you got on!  Was anyone else racing this weekend?

Right im off to catch up....this could take some time image

• Options
    Hi all,

I was told to post in this forum after starting my own thread (oops, was I naughty?). Looking for both advice and encouragement to begin outdoor running again.

Used to run with my ex-wife (it's because of her that I remembered there is good advice and encouragement to be gained on these fora; no idea if she is still on here or not) for a little while before the breakup and then moved to the US where I now really want to get back into shape. Have been working out with weights and using the X-trainer, so feel I am ready to start running again.

The one thing I remember being told is not to try to run too quickly; that's kinda difficult when you're as competitive a person as I am!

Any advice gratefully received!
  • Options

Meglet...thanks for the advice re average lap pace, going to try that one out!  Glad to hear you had a good run with the club and your legs have recovered after GNR

Glad to see your back Blimpy image

CJBA (justgiving.com/Aspie-on-the-run) wrote (see)

Nic, enjoy your 5miles.

Ive not done them yetimage will tomorrow though!!

Wow Claire...you fly...thats very exciting, must be brilliant...but very scary!

Well done Pidge...glad to hear you made it on your 5.5miles!!

Jen didnt realise you were racing too...sorry i didnt also get to say good luck to you to!

Well done on your time Em...and you werent last so hopefully that has killed your fears about being last!! i loved your finish, getting to run over the finish line with the kids must have been fantastic, sorry to hear about your stomach though, not good, hope its feeling better now image

Jam thats a brilliant 5km time...well done!!

Carol - well done aswell!  Shame you werent feeling great part of the way through, especially as you say you had better training run, its a brilliant time, you should be really proud and its something to beat next time!!!image

Well done Jen!! Thats brilliant for your first 10km!  Thats brilliant there was a pacer aswell, sounds like a good race!image

Well done on your triple PB's Markimage

Hi Cat...we sound pretty similar, im doing a run/walk strategy for the Baxters 10km aswell and i have a reoccurrent calf problem!! Glad to hear your looking forward to it, it should be a brilliant dayimage!

Hi TLW, welcome!! Your right running is not a free sport...its the most expensive thing ive ever taken up haha!

Well done on your sponsored walk Sara..thats a fair distance to walk! 

Well done on your run Shinny...cant believe they added that much distance to the end of it..very cheeky!

Caz, sounds like your going to do briliantly on saturday! I was going to say i will look out for your head bobbing about in the crowd but you will be too far ahead of me image

BJB are you doing the 5km on Sunday at Inverness??

Welcome Mantra!

M* hows your ankle? 

Did anyone hear from Katie to see if she got on ok at the GNR?

Hey Miss Assister...good to see you over from Newbies 3!

Hi Britboy...welcome to the forum!  Nowt wrong with starting a new thread..unless it was in clubhouse or something..they can be fierce in thereimage!!

Right, well thats one helluva long post...why do i always do that, i should just say hi everybody instead of writing a great long post!!

• Options
    imageoh holy crap, i didnt realise my post was that long....sorry!! Just look for your name and ignore the rest, and if ive left you out sorry and hello *big wave* imageimageimage
  • Options
    TwoTinNic wrote (see)
    imageoh holy crap, i didnt realise my post was that long....sorry!! Just look for your name and ignore the rest
    Don't we always ignore your posts Nic?! image
  • Options

oi you meanie!!!  it is a bit long isnt it image

hows your knee today?

• Options

Morning All

Well I attempted a spin class this morning, was told it would help with my running?!??  Is this true or was it just a cunning plan for the instructors to finally get me into the class - they've been trying for years!!

Just been catching up hope everyone is well.

Nic - Enjoy your 5 miles hope you've got bit better weather than here.

Jam- thats a great time for a 5k.  You'd be finished and having a cup of tea by time I got done image

• Options

Col Blimp - I'm afraid I can trump your HR in a race, I sprinted for the finish in the last one and got 201! My HR also goes quite high during training!

Meglet - I've been trying to keep LSR between 65%-70% but it goes to pot on the hills for me too! I know I will go faster in races, just disappointed it was really slow on Sunday! Mind you I was decorating all day before I went, so I might not have been properly rested, will have to see how I do this week.

I thought the idea of LSR was to build aerobic base as well as get miles in the legs. If my HR is going too high during this run would I still be training my body at the right level to increase aerobic capacity? Or will just running at a steady pace ignoring HR achieve the same goal?

Miss Assister - a marathon?!! I couldn't even think about a half let alone a marathon yet! You go girl!

• Options

morning folks

Well I've been cr*p at keeping up with you lot but hopefully that'll change.  Part of the reason is I've not been doing any training (nothing in 2 weeks image) but bit the bullet last night and went on the cross trainer for 30 mins.  Really enjoyed it image, and the good news is the knee is still ok.  So now I've got the rest of the week planned

tonight - dvd (bit of davina)

tomorrow - rest

thursday - cycling into work

friday - running (gentle one as first time in two weeks and need to test knee)

saturday - not too sure yet

sunday - running

Its soooooooo good to get back to training.

Hello to old newbies hope training is going well and any injuries are on the mend, and huge welcome to new newbies.