Options

Midnight Sun Marathon 2009 - 20 June 2009

Comments

• Options

Well done 13 miles midweek is pretty serious training.  I haven't been able to run much since this years Tromsø marathon, or from about the 14 mile mark of the race to be exact and not at all for the last few months. 

MY OH will be there as well.  We're flying up from Oslo on the Saturday and then on to Longyearbyen on the Sunday so we won't have that much time in Tromsø.

• Options
    We fly up on the Friday and back to Oslo on the Sunday. It's a shame we wont have more time in Tromso. I am going for my first club run on Monday with the Howgill Harriers. A few people who I curcuit train with are members and they keep on at me to have a go. It will be good to train with people who are quicker than me, might help me speed up a bit!
  • Options
    Hi Twinksy and JF. So, I am the only one going on my own out of the 3 of us...oh well, let's meet for a beer or 3 after and maybe somewhere Saturday late afternoon for a quick coffee/ food? Still can't work out what you do about food/ carbo-loading if you are running that late in the evening?!?
  • Options

If it is any help Blithburysloth.I was carbo loading 3-5 days before the race.On the day I had cerealbars that were high in carbs and bananas as they are full of carbs as well.If you have been carbo loading up to the day of the race you should be fine anyway.As long as you take your gels (1 about 10 mins before the race ,and then the rest every half an hour while you are running) you will keep your glycogen levels up all the way up to the 20 mile mark anyhow.Also take some jelly babies with you while you are running they are fantastic if you feel the brick wall coming on.It is a fantastic race and Tromso is wonderful.Just how I imagined Norway to be.I am sure you will love it.

See ya later

• Options
    LOL Blithburysloth, don't run the marathon too fast or you will be first in the bar to get the drinks in...and have you seen the price of a pint???  I'd love to meet up for a pre and post race chat/meal/ drink. Thanks for the advice re the carb loading kiwiscanfly. I am really looking forward to the race now!     Carol x
  • Options

No problem TWINSKY.I would love to know how you do.Nearer the time I can let you know about the course etc. and what to do when.Just bear in mind near the beginning of the race you run over the bridge that takes you over the Tromso bay to the other side of the city.It is quite a climb up it and you also  come back over it again.As it is near the start of the race it is not too taxing at this stage,but may kick in a bit later on.it is not an ideal course for a P.B.But thouroughly enjoyable all the same.It is not as lonely at all as someone mentioned earlier.The crowd support was great,they even know your name and call out to you when you run past.I wish I was doing it again.But I am hoping to go to Finland in July instead to run.Will pencil it in for 2010.Anyway enough waffling.

See ya later.

• Options

kiwiscanfly - I didn't say it was lonely,

• Options
    Apologies-I must have misread.
  • Options

I also think its a reasonable pb course.  Ok the bridge is a pain but it isn't that high, it isn't that long and its over before half way.  If you've trained you'll hardly notice it.  The rest is pretty flat.

Meeting up sounds great, either carbo loading or rehydration.  There is quite a good restaurant we went to this year before the race, I'll need to ask my OH where it was.

Twinksy, its not really carbo loading you have to worry about, if you're arriving on the friday you have to avoid overdoing it on Saturday especially if you are with friends or family that aren't running.

On an even better note I managed a very gentle 5k on the treadmill this morning with no problems other than paranoia.   My first run since August.

Tromso here I come image

• Options
    Thanks Kiwi, that will be really helpful. I plan to take it easy on Saturday, not planning on doing too much at all. Don't want to be on my feet too much. Well done with the 5k JF that's the worst bit over with. I managed a mile today before being bombarded with hailstones and  sleety rain. Turned tail for home and consoled myself with a cup of hot chocolate. My legs were like blocks of ice. Bbrrr don't like this winter weather.
  • Options

If it is any help TWINSKY,at the top of this page click on to the EVENTS tab (in blue),then click EVENTS EDITORIAL, then in the EVENT EDITORIAL tab type in the search space, euro stars, (2 words) and click on GO,then on this page click on euro stars again (next to the red vest),at the bottom of this page is a picture from the Mid.Sun marathon with a bit of info.Hope this is of some use.

Cheers .

• Options

The bridge looks stunning on that pic kiwi -is tromso a nice looking place?

Looks like I have flu so have been reading up about marathon training to try to keep my mojo going because didn't run all last week cos of work and this week so far because of what feels like flu.image

• Options
    Hi Blithburysloth.Tromso is a delightful place.Nice atmosphere and friendly.It was fascinating flying into the city ,it was just as I expected Norway to be.We found a wonderful cafe for a drink in a type of mall (can't remember the name).It was upstairs and the view was stunning!take your camera.The trip by taxi from the airport to our accommodation takes you through this network of tunnels,it was quite intriguing.I am definitey lining it up for 2010.We flew with SAS,and found them reasonably priced.However we had to fly from Birmingham to Copenhagen,to Oslo then on to Tromso.Funnily enough the domestic flight from Oslo to Tromso took the longest.It just shows you how far North into the arctic circle you actually are.It is very picturesque.As opposed to what it says in the runners world article I found the crowd support great,very encouraging and it is a wonderful feeling to be clapped in by everyone when you run into the city centre. everyone yells out hiya hiya as you run past them,it must be some sort of Norwegian chant,or they are just being friendly.
  • Options

I would agree Kiwi it is a very picturesque town and the support is very vocal.  I liked that they printed out the start list and called you name as you went past.

I can't remember what they were shouting but I think heie (pronounced hiya) means to cheer in Norwegian.  But then again my Norwegian isn't very good so I could be wrong.

Tried to put a link to a photo my OH took of the bridge, looking from the top of the cable car on the mainland.  (I don't think it has worked)  The cable car is worth a trip if the weather is nice and the bridge doesn't nearly as intimidating from that angle. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9852245@N06/2614813761/in/set-72157605768701949/

• Options
    Oh god - that bridge looks scary man!
  • Options

its a dawdle - don't worry about it

• Options

image sorry, that was sarcasm JFimage not my forté...

I am starting my marathon training plan a week Monday...gulpimage

I am definitely up to meet both of you and anyone else we can find who is doing it image

Are either of you on FB? If so, message me how to find you in it.

• Options

Sarcasm ?  Never !

I just couldn't think of a witty replyimage

Training plan............... bloody hell, your keen.  I'll hopefully do a spring marathon (I've registered for Jordan)  but I won't be thinking of any training plans for a while yet.

Eh, what's FB - in one syllable dinosaur language please.

• Options

Facebook JF - I have only just been introduced to it by an old Uni friend of mine image. I have found loads of people on it in the last few days. It's fun.

I thought a minimum 6 months training was needed for a marathon? i followed a 6 months training plan for FLM, ot is that from a standing start, i.e. for a non-runner/ non sporty person?

• Options

Never really bothered with facebook.  When I lived in Cairo I had an American collegue who forced me to create a my space account so we could keep in touch.   Never used it of course and that's the extent of my social networking experience.

The dead sea marathon is one I've been planning for years and next year is the first time for a while its in the middle weekend of the school easter holidays.  Its something like a 1300m decent out of Amman then flat for the last 10 miles.  Sound easy but I imagine the last 10 miles will be fairly testing as the temperature will be over 30C.  I've a Jordanian friend from when I worked in the middle east who comes from Salt near Amman so hopefully he can can get back and we can meet up. 

I have a 16 week marathon schedule I try to follow, although last year was a bit of a disaster because of the weather here.  I followed the general rule of thumb that your five longest runs should total over 100 miles and I was fine in the flm even if my pace was pretty pathetic.

• Options
    JF wrote (see)
    I followed the general rule of thumb that your five longest runs should total over 100 miles and I was fine in the flm even if my pace was pretty pathetic.

I'll bear that one in mind.

I think the 6 months' prep is probably people starting from a standing start i.e. complete beginners. I spoke to someone at my son's rugby yesterday who did MSM in 2007. She said it was an amazing experience but she found it quite a lonely run and very scary from a spending 4 and a half hours by yourself with just your own thoughts point of view.

My only other marathon experience is London FLM (2003). I found it very hard at 20 miles stage - totally hit the wall I had heard so much about and done my utmost to avoid. Had real problem with my thighs totally seizing up - barely ran the last 6 miles but didn't walk.

• Options
    imageI should add that despite all my carbo loading and near perfect prep for FLM 2003, it went to pot thr night before - stayed with friends who had NOTHING in the house for breakfast that morning so I had only Gatorade and also it was when our first son was only 6 months old and we were sharing a room with him at our friends that night and he was up all night so not the perfect prep exactly.
  • Options

Really pleased to have stumbled across this thread as MSM is one of the events I'm considering for my first marathon.  Not until 2010, though.  I'm giving myself lots of time to prepare!

I'm also looking at marathons in Siberia, but they seem to do laps and staggered starts.  Not sure what I think ofthe latter, and I definitely don't want to do laps!

Then there's Iceland ... one around the craters? 

See a theme emerging?

Anyway, good luck to all.  I imagine I'll be following your progress.

BTW, can anyone recommend any further northern runs?  (TW, I note that the Siberian run isn't particularly northern!)

• Options

Cool Ani - we'll tell you all how we get on then.

Why not do the Northern Marathon Series. I am considering it - but one a year i mean image

http://www.northern-marathons.com/northern-marathons.htm

I would also love to do the Nuuk marathon in Greenland.

• Options
    Thanks for the link. B-bury.  And Greenland???  Must check that out, too!!!
  • Options

It is in Nuuk, the capital, but what puts me off it is that I think it is expensive and tricky to get to, and stay in, Greenland:-

http://www.nuukmarathon.com/

Website is in Danish though, so how's your Danish?image

Might be worth starting a thread to see if anyone has done it.

We obviously have the same obssession with cold, snowy places.

Tromso also has the Polar Night Half Marathon in January which looks canny:-

http://www.msm.no/polar-night-half-marathon.9702.en.html

• Options

Sounds like a challenge, both the race and getting there.  Only 25 people did the marathon last year so there is a very real possibility of coming last.

http://www.nuuk-tourism.gl/

http://www.visitnuuk.com/

Interestingly Tromsø is about 5 degrees further north than Nuuk.

• Options

JF - you have the proper "ø"... how did you get that?

There is no way I am doing Nuuk if only 25 people do it LOL