Options

The Children's Mutual Tunbridge Wells Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    JJ - Good luck on Sunday image
  • Options

Anyone got a spare place for The Tunbridge half? The place is for a friend. Please call me on 07880 602333.

Many thanks, Rupert.

• Options
    As mentioned elsewhere it seems that the 1st 5 to 6 miles are pretty quick so hope that helps even the course out. I live locally but dont know the hill in question, was going to take a drive round today but never made it. Running gear alredy to go and a nice restful night for me..... Best of luck to you alll. 
  • Options
    Just confirmed we have Cyclone from UK Gladiators starting the race !

Hope you all have a great day and good luck! Enjoy.

Sarah Russell
    Race Director

• Options
    TCPTCP ✭✭✭
    Good luck to everyone running.  Have a good nights sleep and a great race.  Simon.
  • Options
    Is anyone able to offer a lift from London by car sharing. It would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Mark.. get the train to Tonbridge and get a cab from there. It's 10 mins away. First train gets in at 8.39 which will give you plenty of time.

• Options
    Just back from the race. Got to say how well organised this event is. Well done to T-Wells Harriers. Very tough course IMO the big hill seems to go on and on and on. I managed to get back in 1hr 35min and have to say I was surpried by that time giving the course. Hope you all got on well, Cheers WS  
  • Options

Well done everyone that ran today.

The results are now up at www.twharriers.org.uk/halfmarathon.

Photos to follow soon.

• Options
    TCPTCP ✭✭✭

Well done all.  A great event.  I surprised myself and did 1:48:24.  I'm in better shape than I thought.  I might have to give my PB a crack on a flat course.

Shamir - how did you get one.  You looked pretty fresh on the hill.

• Options

I've posted a few lo-res pics at

www.flickr.com/photos/mikekingphoto

I was the bloke on the bike if you saw me. Race report in the printed RW to follow.

Well done all who made it, Mike.

• Options
    Brilliant course and organisation. 1.46.31 a PB by over 10 mins. Well chuffed, will be back next year
  • Options
    Thanks to all for a great morning. Annihilated my PB by 8 mins. Loved the run.
  • Options
    In fact, I actually set a new PB for 10M in the first 10M of this race. So much for a slow course!
  • Options
    Hi, thanks everyone for a great event!

I last did it in 2006 and didn't enjoy it because of all the traffic speeding by but the road closures and good marshalling really made a difference and I'll happily do it again image

Excellent goody mag, great medal and a nice tee shirt too.

I have a comment about the results on the TW website though. I was just looking to see how I fared in my age group and I noticed that my position is shown as well below a woman who finished in a slower time as they have been listed by clock time. Shouldn't the finish position be based on actual chip time?

1334 52 Karen Hearn F51 02:09:50 02:09:50

1357 1151 Susie Hewer F51 RRC 02:09:02 02:10:51 - me
  • Options
    I did it in 1hr 46 as part of my FLM training. Well happy with that.

Great race, all it needs is some bottled drinks, those cups are a nightmare!
  • Options

Thanks to all the organisers and  marshalls for a great course and a well organised day.

I had a great day and did a lot better than expected.  Simon, good to have the brief chat... I think it was this that made me catch my breath on the hill image.  I fell away a fair bit but I had enough in me to push myself in the last 3 miles (that's the surprising bit) to post a 1:48:48.  I currently have a smile from ear to ear.image

Sussex Beacon Half next week - anyone know how the hill compares to the long hill in TW?

• Options

Great race - massive pb - really enjoyed it. It's much quicker than you'd expect provided you push on the flat / downhill bits - new course is much better than old course - well organised & well marshalled.

Loved it.

Shame about th edrinks in cups - more went on my top than in my mouth......

• Options
    Hve to agree with everyone this really was an enjoyable event accept the cups !!!!! I hardly got a drop of water all round but my running vest got a good watering.
  • Options
    TCPTCP ✭✭✭

There are two ways of drinking from cups on races.  The first is to pinch the top of the cup and then you can pour without spilling.  The other is to stop.  For the 5 seconds it takes to stop, drink and then get going again, you get all the water and you don't really lose anytime overall.

Plastic bottles of water are terrible for the environment and expensive for the organisers.

• Options
    Chelsea plodder if you are a serious runner I dont think you want to be stopping at each water station but agree with your other idea of pinching the cup. Will give that one a go next time.
  • Options
    TCPTCP ✭✭✭

I would call myself fairly serious (6 marathons, 55 half marathons 45 10k etc. etc.) and I have found that stopping doesn't change much.

I often find I end up running with the same group of people throughout a race and when I stop, have some water and then continue running the people who didn't stop are only just ahead and with a small increase in speed, I'm back with them in no time.  I've had a whole cup of water, I'm dry and I haven't lost any ground.

• Options

I find I don't really need the water. Well not a whole cup anyway. A mouthful at a couple of intervals around a half marathon course is fine.

I don't like stopping - not because of any losing ground issues, but because it disrupts my rhythm.

• Options
    It's interesting reading this little debate on cups etc. As organisers, we debate long and hard (honestly!) about the pros and cons of bottles v's cups and then.. the type of cup! plastic or paper. In the end we went for expensive paper cups which as Chelsea Plodder rightly says are easier to pinch and also provided some bottles of sport drinks, thereby keeping everyone happy... we hoped!

Anyway, really glad you all had a good time out there though! the weather was great and the race went really well. Thanks for your support and thanks for the feedback... keep it coming!

• Options
    Redhead wrote (see)
    Hi, thanks everyone for a great event! I last did it in 2006 and didn't enjoy it because of all the traffic speeding by but the road closures and good marshalling really made a difference and I'll happily do it again imageExcellent goody mag, great medal and a nice tee shirt too. I have a comment about the results on the TW website though. I was just looking to see how I fared in my age group and I noticed that my position is shown as well below a woman who finished in a slower time as they have been listed by clock time. Shouldn't the finish position be based on actual chip time? 1334 52 Karen Hearn F51 02:09:50 02:09:50 1357 1151 Susie Hewer F51 RRC 02:09:02 02:10:51 - me

They seem to implementing the IAAF rule for official times, i.e. Gun time takes precedence over Chip time.

• Options

IMO I think that for an event such as this, Chip time should take priority... otherwise this IAAF rule only makes sense if everyone starts on the line as the gun goes off (... not sure there is a road wide enough to cater for 1600 runners image).   FYI, I started at the back so I would say this wouldn't I.

Chelsea Plodder, good idea about pinching the cup... must try that next time.

Everyone, don't forget to rate the event on the RW website (to backup up your comments.)

• Options
    I suppose having cups over bottles means they also save money by not needing as many bottles. Chelsea I wasn't  implying whether you were or were not a serious runner I was referring to 1000`s or millions of others who may not wish to stop, Sorry if my comment came across the wrong way.