Options

FLM 09 - 4.20 or there abouts.

Comments

• Options
    I think I might be - previous best time 4:25 in Berlin this year - would love to do 4:20 but not sure I'm quite there yet.  I know I need to do some more speed work in my sessions but keep wimping out every time it comes to it.  Do they really make a difference?  Have you done 4:20 before?
  • Options
    Brookie Hi... nope never been close to 4.20 but am really going to focus.  Hills and speed are the key I think.  I have a training programme suppied by my running club if you would like a copy?
  • Options
    This is what I am aiming for - did this year's in 4:49 so looking for about 30 minutes improvement this year.
  • Options
    Excellent.. lets keep in touch.. extra motivation and all that. image
  • Options
    JadeBJadeB ✭✭✭

Hi guys, just got a golden bond place for FLM.  Not ran a mara before, most i've run is 14 miles & have done half mara in 2hr 15min.  So i'm hoping I can train well and will be aiming for around 4.30 in FLM (which i'm hoping is realistic!).  Have been toying with the idea of joining a running club for ages but never actually plucked up the courage to do it....thinking that maybe now's the time.

Need to find a decent training program though, I think i'll have a look at the BUPA one.  What's your one from the club like Katie?

• Options
    Hi Jade... if you pm email address I will forward a copy if you like?
  • Options

Hi All,

I did the FLM in 2007 in 5hr 14min despite training and aiming for 4:15.

4:20 seems possible so count me in.

Katie - could you send me the plan? 

• Options
    I did 4.39 a few years ago, 4.20 would be fantastic.  A few  more months training will help - started proper training a bit later than this in the past, but I keep getting niggly injuries this year, calf, knee. (have a cold at the moment to compound things)  I may go to a physio or have a gait analysis done to see if I am wearing the right shoes.  (probably my age though!). 
  • Options
    Andrew.. dont know how old you are... but I am no spring chicken myself! image
  • Options

I'm 45 - feel older sometimes, esp on a longish run - in my head I've done my best running but with a few months free of injuries - who knows???

• Options
    Well I am 47...   Its all in the mind!!  Think positive... the lady that runs my group 9.30mm at the running club is 74! image
  • Options
    I guess so - with a pb of 4.39 there should be room for improvement  - 4.20 would be great - gives me something to aim for. 
  • Options

Hey all - yes Katie - I'll send you my email if you could send me training plan that would be fab.  I think 4:20 ought to be achievable and I'm actually wondering if I should aim a bit higher - but I'd rather overachieve a lesser target than fall short of a higher one, so think I'll keep on the cautious side and see how my training goes.  I've basically cruised my last few marathons and, to be honest, not really exerted myself - it's been more about enjoying the run than pushing myself and being in pain.  But my brother and Mr B are a bit like "you're not tired, you aren't trying hard enough...! Put more effort in!"  so I figured maybe they're right....!

Can't believe that 74 year old - in my dreams!

• Options
    Brookie... I know what you mean...  My family were gobsmacked this year when I met them on the embankment at mile 25 I had managed to reapply my lipstick!  image
  • Options

Katie - that is genius!!!  Love it!  I thought I was the only vain runner - I get a spray tan before every marathon - I might look sweaty and grim in my lycra running kit, but at least I'm not translucently white in my photos!!!!

Anyway - ta for training plan - am running Abingdon marathon this weekend, then a couple weeks off before building up mileage again ready to start proper training in New Year.  Bring it on! And this year, I will NOT shirk my speed sessions......

• Options

Excellent...  I'm with you on the spray tan!!!!

Good luck at Abingdon... let us know how you get on.. image)

I went up a group at runing club last night... ouch!

• Options

so what group are you in now?  Yeah need good luck this weekend - I'm just going to take it easy and see how I get on - I've never done 2 marathons so close together before and am slightly concerned I've bitten off way more than I can chew!!  image

We'll see.......

• Options

I ran witha 9mm group last night... image

Am sure you will be fine... Take it you have trained hard?

• Options
    can i join up? Done two londons 4;50 and 4:40 both years hot weather and missed too much training. This year giving myself a kick up the back side just done a wet, windy half 1:54 so hoping for 4:15
  • Options

Yes please do Darren... 1.54 is a great time...

• Options
    Count me in too. I've only ever run a 10k (in 1:15 in May but I was nearly 19 stone at that point). Was planning to run the Brum HM but have an injured knee that's slowly getting better. Ideally looking to get my running fitness back in November and start a proper training plan in December. Would love to get round in 10 minute miles.
  • Options
    Excellent baron... the more the merrier...  Have you got a good training plan? 
  • Options
    I'm going to follow the 16 week RW plan. I work from home a lot so I can fit in a 5 times a week schedule plus I have the Garmin so it satisfies my need for gadgetry.
  • Options

Yay - more punters to join our thread!  Garmins rule - apart from my brother used his to pace himself in berlin this year and it told him he'd finished when he was at km 41 - he was raging cos it threw out the time he was aiming for - he was on target by the garmin but didn't have time to do the last km and a bit in reality!  Gutted.  judging by comments on the forum that's happened to other people too.

1:54 is good time Darren.  bring it on.  Baron - I use RW 16 week plan too - but in last 4 marathons have been a slacker and copped out of all the speed sessions which I am now realising are key if I'm ever going to get signficantly faster.  So no more slacking off for me!

• Options
    Slacking is banned... I am following the plan to the letter this year!  Oddly enough I really can't run without my garmin any more... I was devestated on Wed when I joined a new group and went (for me anyway) really fast... and forgot to switch the bloomin thing on!
  • Options
    I have always dodged speed sessions, this year I have started including a game of squash to sub for the speed stuff - chasing after the ball you don't realise how hard you are working until you stop as you have something to focus on.  I'll let you know if my runnning gets any faster.  (Love my garmin). 
  • Options

Katie and Baron Know what you mean about the garmin my 301 is off being repaired, feel like I am running naked. only thing is it allways adds .3 miles to every half i do- must be the last mile wobble. Whats everyone doing during Oct and Nov? I am doing about 20 per week including a 10 on a sunday trying to get used to that 4-5 days a week routine.

• Options

I do about 26 miles a week but am trying to make these quality miles... Am not doing long run tomorrow as itb a bit tender and thats what put me out of training for a lot of last years run up to London... 

A a rule I run, Monday 5, Wednesday 6, Thursday 5 and Saturday 10 but after christmas that changes somewhat as will be hill training on Friday and long run on Sunday... phew!

• Options
    koichkoich ✭✭✭

Hello folks. This seems a friendly joint, i shall invade.

Did my first ever marathon this year (edinburgh) in just under 4:40. aimed for 4:20 so i have this years training to make up those lost 20 mins! without seeming to make up excuses there was a million mile an hour head wind at edinburgh which even the elites said they lost about 10 mins because of. so yes. im confident with some crazy training i can get this 4:20!

to be honest i havnt thought too seriously about any training plan yet. but i have been enjoying telling everyone im in FLM! woo! I also dont like to give myself too many rules/targets in terms of training, because its just uneccessary stress trying to stick to them in my opinon. luckily i love running enough to hit the forest tracks a few times a week. Just  have to increase mileage after christmas.

have an off-road 12 in a weeks time so thats my main focus right now.

tata for now, i shall return.

• Options
    Well the good news is that my consultant says the marathon is doable image And I can return to running in a couple of weeks to see if I'm healing image Woo!