Options

FLM 09 - 4.20 or there abouts.

Comments

• Options

Good luck Jade !!

Out for 4 on Saturday and 8 on Sunday by the sea in Broadstairs. Hoping the wind doesn't blow in off the North sea as it will be more than a little chillyimage. Hope everyone has a good weekend of running. image

• Options

Just did 4 miles in the driving rain and howling wind.........not pleasant, but I did it!!!!

No run tomorrow, but 10 miles pencilled in for Sunday........image

• Options
    I love the cold too.. however not sure I know what I have coming as I've not trained in a proper British winter. mmmh. Wow Katie sounds like you are well on your way ,great news, and good luck for your appt Jade!
  • Options
    bbbrrrrrrrrrrrr...............   could be a three sock sunday
  • Options

Hi all I went for a 5M run last night just to test the calf and was ok. Took it nice and easy and the conditions weren't as bad as I thought. However, today I'm getting a slight pain in the heel area. Never had this before and dont know what it is. Any ideas anyone. Darren I think you were right with your last diagnosis. Tomorrow its meant to be cold and very windy with heavy showers. Bearing in mind my heel problem I may leave it unitil monday and do an LSR then as I have a day off.

Wrap up well tomorrow if you're running.

• Options
    good luck jade          ran 5m today weather cold and dry   hat and gloves weather  knee felt ok but slight twinges towards the end    having stretched and a few hours later feels not to bad   may try longer run tomorrow if not gym on monday ken
  • Options

Hadleigh 10m 1:24imageomething pb despite the snow. Apologies to all the local residents who saw me looking into their nice warm,dry,cosy cottages as i shuffeled past.

Looks like everyone is on the mend

*thinks* probably put the kisss of death on the injury front

• Options
    Well done Darren - I had to opt out of a run today - the snow and ice just isn't for me at this time.....maybe when i get my confidence up.  Right now I worry I will end up joining the list of injured!  I will make up for it during the week hopefully!
  • Options
    We had all seasons today. Snow in the morning followed by rain and then sun but it was abit cold. I didn't run today but will go out tomorrow and see how it goes. Good time for your 10M Darren.
  • Options
    memo to self...... Poor spelling is not big and not clever
  • Options

Good time for the 10 Darren.

Saturdays run along the coast was pleasant enough nice steady 4 miles at 8:21 pace. Today's was a different ball game, 8 miles in driving sleety rain, cold and very very wet.

• Options
    JadeBJadeB ✭✭✭

Well done Darren on the 10m, that's a really good time & well done everyone else for doing their weekend runs in the horrible weather.  I was supposed to be doing a 10k race with one of my running friends yesterday morning, had to pull out because of the knee but I must confess that I was secretly quite pleased image.  It was SO horrible I actually couldn't think of anything worse than dragging myself out of my lovely warm house to stand around in the freezing cold wind & rain waiting for the race to start!

Didn't end up going to the physio in the end, I spoke to a couple of my running friends & they advised me not to go - they said that because it's an impact injury & not muscular or ligament damage that i'd just end up paying an expensive initial consultation fee for him to most likely tell me that the bone's bruised & I just need to rest it & let it heal.  That made sense to me so I thought that i'd leave it.  It's only been just over a week & I think i'm just being impatient as I don't want my training to be affected.  It's getting better by the day though so think I will start doing some gentle exercise this week & see how it feels.

• Options
    You did the right thing resting especially in this weather.  I quite like running in the poor weather but wouldn't fancy waiting around for ther start of a race. 
  • Options

ran 5m on sat  nice and fresh here in glasgow   felt twinges towards the end but eased off later on

knee feels better over the w/end and at gym today still feeels ok  i will keep up exercises and hope i have turned the corner ken

• Options

I joined a running club last night so that I can hopefully get some speed work in as well as the benefit of running with others.

Did 5.5 miles last night - about 30 seconds a mile quicker than I have been doing, so hopefully it get me running a bit further and a bit faster, and a bit easier!

Hope everyone is doing ok, and wrapping up well for the cold!

• Options

Talked myself to an Injury, very bad limp yesterday left ankle very sore when twisting, better today ran 4 miles. Seems ok when ankle is straight but had a quick game of badminton and its agony when twisting. Anybody got any ideas? (apart from don`t run in the snow)

Of to runners need in London tomorrow. My wish list is

Shorts.

Long sleeved top- any Recomendations (not close round neck)

New trainers

Ankle support

• Options

Darren I hope your injuries clear up soon!

I bought a long sleeved top today - a nike one that was so thin that I was wondering during my first mile this evening if I could take it back and get a refund!!  Having said that, it was comfortable and I soon warmed up.  I can't say I recommend it though, because in the wind and snow it might not be sufficient....

I bought a saucony one a couple of weeks ago, with hand "pockets" that act like gloves - it is FAB!  Even in the rain it seems to do the job nicely.  Keeps me nice and toasty warm without overheating, and of course the glovey bits keep my hands warm but when they warm up I don't end up having to carry my gloves!

• Options
    morning everyone.
    thanks hypno. Best way to ensure a mild winter is to buy a long sleeved top.
  • Options
    5 months to go..........image
  • Options

loads of time

layers and zipped tops are best for cold weather IMO

off to play squash this evening  -  enjoy your runs if you are out tonight

• Options

Hi everyone I did a belated LSR on Tuesday of 10M and used a different very flat route. The ankle / calf was ok but it dont feel like the other one if you see what I mean. I'm just going to nurse it along and hopefully it will sort itself out. I was hoping to increase to 3 runs a week this week but something always seems to get in the way. Hoping to increase LSR this week if all goes well.

Darren how do get on with Runners Need? I often go in there, normally for my shoes though. 

I also know what my running number for FLM is.

• Options
    knee has a bit of a twinge lately  at gym today for general toning and 15min  run on treadmill  and could feel knee wasnt right  should have been to the physio yesterday but forgot  will give her a fone tomorrow for next week  also have a head cold  now off to work  ken
  • Options

Stylish,

I try to go to runners need when in the big smoke, the staff do know what they are talking about and spend some good time with me. They are all very good runners but dont look down at plodders like me.

Trying some brooks stability trainers, my over pronation has got worse.

Helly Hansen Long sleeved thin top, red to match my end of run complexion.

It was a 15% off evening which helps.

THE GOOD NEWS IS.... dont worry about the length of your long runs yet. Buillding a training base and time on your feet is key

• Options

Darren,

have you been to see a podiatrist about your overpronation, you might find that orthotics offer a better solution to stability trainers? not cheap but may help shins and knees etc. http://www.londonpodiatry.com

• Options

Adrian- I have some off the shelf inserts from my physio which help my posture He also recomended core excercises which is also what i was told last night, which means....

Basically I have engine by Porsche bodywork by Lada just trying to keep the rust at bay!!!

• Options
    nice analogy, and good engine!! I am more Ford and Trabant image
  • Options
    JadeBJadeB ✭✭✭

Sounds like everyone's getting kitted out!  My Christmas list this year consists mostly of running bottoms/tops/jackets/hats/gloves and anything else running orientated that I can think of(!)....it's expensive all this running lark so may as well make the most of other peoples generosity over the festive period....only problem is that I have to wait until Christmas to get it so must put up with the frost bite between now & then image.

Knee is much better now, still not got full flexibility in it but it's no longer painful unless I try to kneel on it or something (so I just try not to do that!).  Am going to the gym tonight for the first time since I did it 2 weeks ago & will try a bit of running to see how it feels.

In a way it may have actually been a good thing that I did it and had to take some time out.  It means that I have had a bit of time to reflect & I am now desperate to get back to training and want to absolutely put my all into this and do as well as I possibly can.  Christmas celebrations this year will have to take a back seat!

• Options

Jade-Wow thats some serious motivation. Cut and paste that and stick it on the fridge.

Have fun at the gym.

• Options
    JadeBJadeB ✭✭✭

I might even just do that Darren, stick it above my training plan!!

Hoorah!  10 minutes on the bike as a warm up then 3 miles on the tready tonight at the gym.  Knee feels fine, was a bit stiff to start with but loosened up as I ran....didn't want to do too much just incase.  Fingers crossed it feels OK tomorrow.  I don't want to speak too soon but i've got a feeling that i'm back.  Yey!

• Options

Jade am so pleased that things seem to be looking up for you! WIll keep fingers crossed!

So whats everyone up to this weekend?  I am hoping to get betwen 8 and 10 miles in tomorrow morning followed by some Pilates and a sports massage to help the hamstrings!