Options

GULP just entered my first half marathon

Comments

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

The family get-together on Sunday was good. I had organised for my cousin to bring her Mum along and my sister and husband brought my Mum and brother along too (so 8 of us in total). We went to a local Beefeater and as I had pre-ordered the main courses it all went off like clockwork. I forced myself to polish off a 10oz rib-eye steak and chips followed by a rocky road sundae (ice-cream, marshmallows, choc brownie pieces and cream).

In an attempt to rectify the steak, chips and sundae induced calorie overload I went to my club run last night (2 loops around town) and ended up doing 5.4mls in an hour. A bit slow for me but that was because ever the hero, I stopped to walk/jog on the 1st loop with one of the newbies who was struggling (as no-one else volunteered to help her). Once we had completed the 1st loop I was let off the leash! image I set off in pursuit of the others in the novice group but never did see them again. It was only when I got back to base I found out they had all taken a short cut back to the start! I'll let someone else volunteer to accompany the slower runners next time. The good news was my cough lurgy didn't bother me last night and doesn't seem any worse this morning so no harm done.

• Options

I've lost a post.  Oh well, probably usual inane wittering.

Ran with JF on Sunday, in part before he headed off piste to the pool, 8.5 lethal miles of black ice/sheet ice, bog, iced bog or superficially iced bog (crack sploosh). Hard work but glad I did it.

Today I took the HLs out with their bikes -HL2 has his BIG bike now and needs practice where cars are not.

Anyway they cycled (far too fast now he has bigger wheels) and I struggled along at 9.28mm round the lovely Virginia Water. 5.5m done and it kept them away from the xbox/laptop and TV and got me out as well. We seem to have had the best of the day and I even wore capris. Nice hi viz legs now!

Well done RWM re the novice, people like you can make all the difference to a NEwbie. I remember the people who supported me with help and advice when I first donned my trainers and will always be grateful to them.

And now I must make more mince pies and do not even MENTION gingerbread housesimage

• Options

Hi all

Been missing for a few days as have been up in London celebrating my parents 50th anniversary.Had an amazing time,London eye,city tour nice italien meal and saw The Lion King at the theatre.Really great time.Walked past London marathon shop,mum said if I dont get a place for 2013 she will help by doing lots of fundraising for me so I will run for Macmillan Nursing which is always Mums chosen charity.

Hope alls well with everyone.Havent fully read back yet.I expect everyones extra busyimageHls keep asking how many more sleepsimage

Bother had my cheque returned as White Horse HM full up on April 1st. Doing Bideford HM on March 4th but really wanted to do something at start of April as marathon at end of April.Have seen a fun run advertised for April 1st,only 10k but hilly so will be quite a challenge so might go for thatimagewill do parkrun on christmas eve,mince pies to all runnersimage

FL,glad you are well,have you decided on your 2012 targets yet?image

mel,lovely of you to help the beginner image

waves to you all

• Options

Evening all

Well 7 miles done today the run only took me 1:06:27 but by the time i had a loo break and popped in to work to collect something i was out for about 1hr 45 splits weren’t too bad today ranging from 9:27 m/m to 9:48m/m so a little more pleased

• Options
    That was a good thing to do Mel
    Sounds like a lovely trip Susie
    Took girls to Harriers tonight and did 4 miles again in the cold, dark and rain. It's tricky staying motivated this time of year.
    Kids broke up today but I'm In til Sat lunchtime. Oh well
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Foxy - shame you lost that post .. I enjoy your inane wittering! image Well done re that off-road run with JF and running with HL's on their bikes. Re running with the newbie - the idea is obviously to try and keep in a group. Trouble is, with it being dark it makes it more difficult for the leader to keep an eye on everyone. I don't want people getting dejected if everyone else is too fast and they end up by themselves - I just wish more people would stay aware when people drop off the back and volunteer to run with them so I get a chance to stretch my legs <mini rant over> image

Susie - glad to hear you had a nice time in London - hope you find a race to suit your training plan. The Reading HM is on 1st April .. I know this because my friend C who only took up running 3 months ago has entered it (and is now wondering what on earth she has let herself in for!). I'm going to volunteer to do some long runs with her over the coming months as she builds up her mileage and am semi-tempted myself as it's one of our club championship races. This is despite my vow to stick to 10K races for the time being after my Bath HM-induced cramps!

Toby - good pace on that 7ml run - well done.

Sal - well done to the girls re harriers. Not long now! (I'm also working till the end of the week then am on call on Saturday 2:30pm as well).

I have been checking Fetchpoint and can see there are 3 Garmin markers for the taking at the moment. So I have devised a cunning run for after work that will take me past all 3 markers .. plus lots of coins/relays/bugs. One of the Garmin markers will involve a detour down a footpath, getting through or over a hedge and running around the corner of a field .. but it's got to be done! image After running around town I will then need to head for the park which is outside my home circle so I can lose the bugs.

• Options

Come and do Reading HM Mel. I'm there for the fifth time..... we can party afterwards, that will ensure you forget any leg cramps!

And thank you for your kind comment about my witterings. Today I am procrastinating and should be up the gym. Instead I have done a major backlog of filing and am clearing my precious study ready to turn it into a second guest room for the Christmas influx image. Just when I need somewhere to escape to...

Anyway the shopping list awaits me....I must create and will then gym. Infact maybe gym is more interesting!!  Can I face another 5K on the tready, can I do more.....?....

• Options

Evening all

Well 5 miles done today ran two loops one of 2 miles which the wife ran with me when we got back to the house the wife stop and i then carried on and did the 3 mile loop of up to Leicester tomorrow to pick the daughter up i then have 12 miles to do on Friday

it was at this point last year things nearly we pear shaped i came down with a cold and it had snowed very heavily so i was going to do all my runs inside on the treadmill as it happens that then broke so it was looking like 2 weeks in too the training i was going to miss 5 runs

But in the end the snow melted and i just wrapped up a bit warmer than normal and managed to get all my runs in i hoping i don’t have a repeat performance this year

• Options
    Evening all. Sorry for my absence - kids broke up on Friday so have been busy busy busy since then. No running but plenty of running around. Just read back through - glad the rest of you are more dedicated / organised than I am!

Dorothy House has said they'd love me to run for them next year, so I'm glad that's decided.

Like the idea of setting targets for 2012 FL- will have a think (although the most obvious is 'run a marathon'! Broke 60 mins for 10 k this year - maybe I need to look at my HM times this year.

Right - time to get some wrapping up done!
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Foxy - the chance to have a meet-up was another reason for considering  the Reading HM. Tell you what .. I'll mention the idea to Mrs WM and see what she thinks. After all, she has to put up with me disappearing for hours on long runs at weekends and the resulting sweaty kit. Let's hope she doesn't roll her eyes and sigh loudly! image Will let you know once I've decided. But it IS one of the club championship races after all. You've reminded me .. I still haven't made sure my bedroom is tidy in case it's needed over xmas/new year.

Toby - I don't think there's any chance of snow disrupting your training, at least for the next few days. Well done re the 5 miler and hope the trip to Leicester to pick up your daughter goes okay.

B&T - you were posting late! I'd been in bed for hours by then!! image (that's what 5am starts do to you). Liked the 'no running .. just running around' comment. Was that 'wrapping up' as in heading out for a run then? image

Anyway .. had some 'fun' yesterday thanks to Fetchpoint. I set off for a 4-5ml run which ended up as 7.6mls (HM training??). Some of that was picking my way along muddy paths and running around farmer's fields waving my arm around .. just to make sure the gps signal was good. The end result was 3 garmins collected, 6660 credits gained, 2 bugs moved, 2 bugs squished and 4 traffic lights collected. My shoes are now recovering in the utility room from a dunking in a bucket of water and being scrubbed clean. My legs are a bit achey as they're not used to that sort of distance. I need 2 more garmin thingies to be in the draw for the Forerunner 110 and can see they are available .. one is close to home and another is nearby in town. We're off shopping this afternoon so if I don't manage a 'recovery' run later I hope they are as easy to get at on Friday.

• Options

RWM- what the hell are you burbling about? bugs? Traffic lights? Garmin Thingies? Translation please!

No risk of snow here either. Back running in shorts early this morning (nice hi viz legs!) Another 5miles done and should be able to run tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday with any luck. Anything remotely off road round here is soggy and muddy and sploshy, so my legs were scrubbed clean as well as trainers!

Plus have walked the HLs to drag them off the xbox.

Today mostly involves supervising the washing machine in advance of the visitors arriving- I actually have stuff on the line outside which is frankly bizarre.

B&T- it's either an easy or a tough time to get running- I've managed by getting HLs on bikes, a whole 2.7k on the dready in the gym yesterday and this morning we got out early again. Mr FL finishes this afternoon bar a day next week so it gets easier for me to get out now.

SS- at least you get Xmas day off!

Toby, you'll be fine.

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Foxy - the 'fetchpoint' game on fetcheveryone.com  ..

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/303571/Gallery/fpmap.JPG

.. take a look and all will be revealed. I've got no chance of catching the leader (150k credits compared to my 6k) but the chance to be a free draw for a Forerunner 110 was enough to concentrate my mind. Enough to see me going off-road and getting my nice newish trainers all muddy. Hi-viz legs? Is that because yours are lily-white and not lithe and tanned (and hairy) like mine? image BTW - Mrs Wm has stuff on the line as soon as it's dry and there's any breath of wind.

*waves* to everyone else

• Options

Aha re fetch thing.

And good woman Mrs RWM

And yes, legs have not had a whiff of daylight (nor fake tanimage) for a while as couldn't see the point but now.... They are lithe and hairless though!image

And now must attend to washing load 3..... 1 to go.

• Options

Hi all

Just a quick one to wish you all a very happy christmas and all the best in 2012

Hope all runs are good ones,any injuries are minor and all targets are metimage

above all wishing everyone health and happinessimage

imageimageimage

• Options

Lovely message Susiebe, same to you and all Gulpers.

I nailed another Christmas card delivering 7.7 this morning before the rain and am now x-training with hover and mope.

Forecast looks better for the moro and I aim to do 10 via parkrun.

Need an average of 3.5m/day for the rest of the year to reach my second mileage target of 1102 in 2011.

Quietly optimistic.

Overall a good running year, all initial targets met, my back has held out and (touching large pieces of wood) I don't think any injuries I can recall and not too much asthma bother, so maybe I am getting more sensible. Oh and well over a stone lighter than this time last year. And I am keeping it that way despite Christmas. Too many new clothes to fit into and all the old ones long gone.image

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Susie - lovely message and the same from me to any Gulper's reading this.

Foxy - I see you are busy building the miles to reach your new target - trust you're not planning to do 2102 miles in 2012!

I am hoping for an injury-free 2012 and hope to get a sub-30 5K and sub-60 10K under my belt. I would have probably got to 500mls this year if it hadn't been for my shoulder injury in Sep/Oct .. am going to aim for at least 600mls in 2012.

I have promised to head for Tesco's after work today to get the vegetables .. and no arm-twisting required from Mrs WM either! image I finish work at 2pm and should be home by 3pm so hopefully a little bit quieter at the supermarket this afternoon than it will be later. Then I shall get my running shoes on as there are 2 garmin thingies fairly close to home and it would be nice to nab them before xmas .. just hope no-one else has snaffled them in the meantime. Then I can forget about Fetchpoint for a while! image

An early xmas present for me as my 'free' Star Wars films on bluray arrived yesterday (parts 4,5 & 6). BTW - that's 'free' as in a promotion because I treated myself to a bluray recorder recently. But I have to confess, I've never seen Star Wars so it will be nice to settle down with them over xmas/new year.

• Options

Afternoon all

well had 12 miles to do today but had to abandon them after just under 9 due to the weather i was over cast when i went out but by the time i got to mile 3 it had started to rain just lightly and still nothing to worry about

so i carried on got to mile 7 and it got heavier but had run in worse hit the 8 mile mark and the havens opened within 30 seconds it was through my coat and running shoes i was drenched so abandon the run

Luckily i was passing not far from home coat now drip-drying over the door and the running shoes stuffed with paper under the radiator so i am counting this run as next week’s MWLR and try again for the 12 next week

• Options

Hi All,

Soz for not posting lalately but it's that busy time of year again. 

Wishing you all a merry Xmas and a  fab new year. 

Targets for me next year to do Snowdon marathon - just for funimage

Unfortunately I have to work all over Xmas the only day I have off is the 30th Dec my little girls birthday but the good news working days are only two hours in the morning.  Been doing a little running but not keeping any marathon training it's just the odd 5 miles when I have time.

Take care all - and have a great timeimage

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Just popped back to say ..

Yesssss! Just been out for a 3ml 'Fetchpoint' run and bagged garmin thingies 4 and 5 so now I'm in the draw for the Forerunner 110 imageimage

Have a good xmas everyone - see you on the other side of the festivities.

• Options

Evening all

Good luck Melimage

Happy Christmas everyoneimage

• Options

Fingers crossed Mel. Maybe you could be the third winner on this thread in recent weeks.

And now must go hit the fake tan if I'm wearing my santa dress tomorrow. There is only so much shocking I can do!

• Options

I did wear it,  (37.5m!) and if I do another 15 miles, December will be a much needed 100 mile month.

Enough with excess food, and we haven't even touched the Xmas cake yet and NO ONE is eating my gingerbread house......

Back to reality, cleaning and washing machine tomorrow and then I have to brave the shops as the HLs have grown again.....must stop feeding them....

Hope you've all had/ are having fun!

• Options

Morning all

May i start by saying i hope everyone had a good Christmas and your all looking forward to a happy and prosperous new year

We had a restful Christmas for the most part and an enjoyable one i came down with my usual cold but apart from that it has been nice i haven’t for my sins run since  last Friday so i my well try to get out for a short run before we go to my sister-in-Laws for dinner today

i am finding it harder this year to get motivated to get out and do the longer runs and next year’s Brighton marathon my well be my last and i will just stick to H/M and 10K’s as i can see work coursing it to be more difficult to fit the runs in as they let the agency worker go the week before Christmas

This means i am down to a shift of 4 people so all i need now is 1 on holiday and 1 out sick which has happened before and i am in for some long days

• Options
    well 12 miles done today Oh well at least that makes up for Friday
  • Options

Hi All,

Hope you've all enjoyed and are enjoying the xmas festivities.

Good 12 miles done Toby and work sounds a pain for you.

Hope you had the presents you wanted.  This year I've been really spoilt with some running gear, New shoes, new hydration belt which I can now hold over a ltr of fluid and some dosh so ordered a new garmin - have enjoyed running without a watch but have missed just going out for a run, which I have had to plan routes etc.

All ready to enter Snowdon on the 1stimage.

• Options

Sounds a good haul AH!

After 7 consecutive days, I had a lazy one yesterday, but managed a nippy 5m this afternoon after my lunchtime nap!!image

So my running gifts were: a fab multiweather very high viz hat, some running gloves that you can use your iphone without taking them off and some proper running headphones so they shouldn't fall out.

Oh and lots of lucozade jellybeans (cos my BIL works for GSK). Think I have enough for about a year's long runs!

Also had a proper piping set (as in icing) so that's the other hobby sorted too.  Going to try it out tomorrow so that'll nail Mr FL's post xmas diet!

Happy running folks.

• Options

Evening all

Well just 4 done today did a couple of 2 mile loops

• Options

Morning

Hope you all had a lovely Christmas

We got back from Mum and Dads yesterday and feeling a little over indulgedimage. Did manage a 6 mile run with Mr SS which was lovely. Especially as now that I'm a little quicker I can keep up with his slow pace!

Just waiting for him to go for 1st run then I'm off to do 4x1 mile repeats at 10k pace (10.04). V windy here so may be interesting...

Running gifts wise -  another subscription to RW magimage. Also we may have ordered from the sweatshop saleimage.New capri tights, long sleeved top and jacket should be winging their way here. Mr SS should look much smarter in matching Adidas stuff

The battery  has thankfully died on the scales!

• Options

Hi all

Hope you all had a great Christmas. Even HLs aren't tempted by the chocs now imagelooking forward to getting back into routine but off to Cornwall tomorrow for New Year so normality not yet resumed hereimagebeen lovely though.

Have done some runs, max one was 5 miles so need to start increasing the miles as of next weekimagePlan to run tomorrow am before setting off to my parents and run on Sun too.My dear mum has been telling me 'dont go over doing it' she still doesn't understand,bless herimage

Running gifts for me were another year sub to RW mag and my sister gave me some Hilly running socks,dont think she realised but she left price on,£13image at that price will use them for races and long runs onlyimage

waves to you all

• Options
    Hi everyone

Firsty so sorry for my absence. Hope you have all had a fabulous Christmas and are ready to have a great New Year.

Not had a chance to have a proper catch up, but spotted a few races that need to be added to the list, so will do that next. If I've missed anyone, can you let me know please and I'll amend it straight away.

Again - apologises for being away so long. Been busy with work and before I knew it I hadn't run for 10 days, and was only doing a little 1.5/2 mile run before then - so totally slipped out of a routine (which I always do when I don't have a schedule to work to) and have been dreading getting back into running as would be so disappointed. A couple of attempts in the gym went nowhere (as I hate the treadmill). Anyway - I've come to my mum's pub down in Salisbury for New Year and thought I'd venture out today for a lovely run in the New Forest - and I'm so glad I did. Just a little 3.5 miler, but it's lovely and flat, views are wonderful, and although a little slow (averaging around 11.45 min per mile - don't laugh) but really enjoyed it and hopefully my mojo is coming back. Fingers crossed anyway. Can't wait to do the run again. Ive downloaded an Iphone app called Audio Fuel which has a various running music on it at different bpms and it really helped keep my pace and keep me going.

Here's the updated list :

GULP Running Club - Race Details

7th Jan 2012 ____ Jess L - Great Winter Run 5K Edinburgh

22nd Jan 2012 ___ Spen71 - Gloucester Marathon

4 Feb 2012 _______FoxyLady - Grim Night Terror

4 March 2012 _____SusieB - Bideford HM

11 March 2012 __ Toby3 / B&T - Bath Half Marathon / Claireruns - Addidas Half Marathon

25 March 2012 ___ JessL - Wilmslow Half Marathon

31 March 2012 __ Sal - National Lottery Olympic 5mile Run

1st April 2012 ___ FoxyLady - Reading Half Marathon

15 April 2012 ___ Toby3 - Brighton Marathon

22 April 2012 ____ B&T - London Marathon

29th April 2012 ___ JessL / Susiebe1 - Manchester Marathon

20th May 2012 ___ JessL - Great Manchester 10K Run

9th June 2012 ____ JessL - 10K Trailblazer Sherwood Forest

16 Sept 2012 _____ Toby - Great North Run

Thanks. Hope you're all well xx