Options

GULP just entered my first half marathon

Comments

• Options

Hi All,

Sounds like Santa likes giving out running gear.

Sal - Intervals - Hope the wind is behind you.

Susie - Enjoy your stay in Cornwall - The hilly socks are pretty good never had a blister with them.

JL - Sounds like a good run today.

Nice surprise got on the dreaded scales and I'm the same since 1st Dec - got to be good.  Was going to do a long run tonight but the weather is terrible here so 6ish miles at a hardish effort (Tempo) will try for the LSR Saturday.  Youngest 8th birthday tomorrow and we have one really excited girl, No rest this xmas for us.

• Options

Evening all! Firstly, a very belated Merry Christmas to everyone! Sounds like everyone's had a good time, and some good running pressies have been received.  Everyone must have been really good this year image I got a long sleeved Ron Hill top & some new running capris. so very pleased. Sadly didn't get a Garmin, but did get a Kindle which is great.

I've had a good read back of everyone's news and I'm hugely impressed by everyone who's been out running over the festivities. We've just got back today from my in-laws in Cornwall. I did intend to go running when I was there, but when we left on Christmas Eve the car so SOOOOO fully packed I simply couldn't fit my stuff in. Honest!

I was hoping to get out tomorrow morning. However I have my family coming for lunch tomorrow and I have just managed to  cook bread rolls for about 40 minutes. Eeek - talk about hard! So I have some disaster recovery planning to do. Ah well - marathon schedule doesn't officially start until 2nd January image

As a 'kick up the backside' I've just entered the Slaughterford 9 on 29th January. Sounds scary, and hilly. And muddy. Gulp!

So - thinking ahead now - have we all got resolutions / targets for 2012? Running or otherwise? I've seen a few already, and am still thinking of my own (apart from the obvious 'run a marathon' of course!) I also need to think back on  how much I've achieved this year image One for New Year's Eve I think!

• Options

Morning all! And great to hear from everyone. Not sure about that race B&T- sounds as if the sweeper should be a Werewolf or have I over Harry Pottered lately?!

Great 12 miler with running partner today- lovely new area to me and a great hot choc stop at about 5 miles to refuel.

Takes me to 1108m for the year so over target 2 of 1102, and 102 for December.  imageimage

To parkrun tomorrow or not to parkrun, that is the question.....image

Have to run at least 8miles for my lunch on NYD and the forecast looks crap.image

Anyway: official targets: Umm...image

1200miles.

Sub 25min 5k and sub 50min 10K (yikes)

3 more HMs this "season" ie before it gets warm, making 5 this winter.

Just downloaded my 12 week Garmin plan for Reading HM. Think I should already have started!

Running partner has theoretically started his 16 week Brighton Mara plan.

Speedwork on Tuesday and back to work on Tuesday. Yipppeeeee......

Happy New Year and a wonderful Olympic year of Injury free running to us all.

Enjoy Cornwall Susiebe and Salisbury Jess. Nice running, suspect I'll be doing a few more miles down there this year. Have you thought about entering the Salisbury 10m (end of Feb/early March) and REALLY nice- I've done it twice now, might think about it........

• Options

Afternoon all

Well 14 very wet and disappointing miles for me today i had to pop in to work today to find out what i would be going into on Monday night so ran down to work

after that carried on i was struggling a bit as to my shame i have eaten far too much and put on more than a few pounds but i got to about 7.5 miles and blew up the sprite was willing but the legs said you got no chance so i decided to run walk the rest of the run running for 10 minutes and walking for 5 this worked ok until about the last mile when the legs packed in completely and said i had enough so i ended up walking the best part of the last mile  

i won’t shame myself by putting up the time it took me to do or the split time and relegate this run to those i wish to forget   

it did how ever make the hot soak in the bath that more enjoyable  

• Options

Evening all

Managed my mile reps: 9.56, 9.58, 10.02 and 9.55 so v pleased. last time did the session my pace was 10.17. Think next time I'll try for 5

Wow Toby, that sounds tough, well done for keeping going

Great targets Foxy

Mine are: 750 miles (570 this year)

sub 30 5k ( current pb 31.26)

sub 65 10k (current pb 65.45)

Stockport 10 mile race and most of all stay injury free image

Enjoy your time at your Mums Jess. Sounds like another tough race B&T

No alarm being set for parkrun tomorrow but will go if up in time

Bit disappointed with sweatshop delivery: Mr SS tights  and my capris not included as already sold outimage

• Options
    Hi everyone

Foxy - ohh thanks for that. I'll definitely look into that as it should work well with my schedule

Hope you're all good. If I don't get on tomorrow HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

xxxxx
  • Options
    Jess- looked last night: 11th March.

Also didn't set alarm so didn't parkrun. Heading out on bike now I think. Then making turkey curry later- has to be done!

Laptop upgrade means google chrome so no more smilies image
  • Options
    Oh-it worked that one out image
  • Options
    Happy new year everyone
    Also missed parkrun so did 4.18 at a more civilised time. Off to friends now. Enjoy your evenings x
  • Options
    Went on a long "muddy porridge" off road bike ride and managed not to fall off; had to hose myself and bike down on return. Great fun and good cross training for the legs- can tell I've not biked in a while unless my legs are just shot from running so much.

Long run tomorrow, just about to plan an elongated route to avoid canapes and arrive in time for lunch proper. No point eating twice. And no point getting there for the champagne when I'll be driving home.

Right time to get the ironing board out......
  • Options

Just a moment of reflection on 2011.

529.47M run, 3 half marathons, 3 x 10Ks, my first ever 5K and 2 off road / odd mileage races.  I managed to meet Foxy, Toby and Mel, and have now run 3 races with Mel image. Finally managed a sub-60 10K which I was delighted about!

Need to check on dinner then will think about some targets for 2012!

• Options

Okay - targets for 2012!

Mileage - should be more than this year, but have no idea how much the marathon training will affect it!

Races - Obviously my main aim is to complete VLM, and manage to continue running afterwards! (My Bro-in-law and a very good friend of mine have both run VLM in previous years, and then never run again - image) I also think I need to stop worrying about things and JFDI a bit more (hence the entering the scary Slaughterford 9 (after wussing out of it for the past 2 years!) and yes, Foxy, Werewolf would be quite appropriate as a sweeper. Part of the route goes down 'psycho pheasant alley' - in fact that's teh easiest bit of the route!

PBs - still need to go sub 30 for a 5K, and would really like to speed up my Hm time. Plugged my 10k PB into one of these speed calculations, and it reckoned  I should be able to run a half in around 2:09!!! Can't see me knocking 20 minutes off my time in 1 year, but I'm hoping the marathon training will improve my stamina so I should cut my time down. Will say 2:25 as a first step!

Finally made it out for a run today - first time since 14th December image Run 4.5M and although I was trying to take it fairly easy my HR was up at race pace.Still, really enjoying being out again, even if it was a bit blustery. Was warm though, and my festive overindulgences were showing - I think I was sweating  pure champagne (Christmas with in-laws!)

Toby - sorry you had such a bad run. It can only get better next year!

Foxy - well done on the bike ride. We went for a walk around the village, through the fields and it was SO muddy. Son fell off his bike, into the mud and got his trainer stuck in! We ended up at the pub, and had to take our boots off and go in in our socks!

Sal - misisng Parkrun and going out at a more sociable time sound slike a good ideaimage

Jess - glad you had some good runs in the New Forest

Susie - hope you are having a good time in Cornwall.

AH - how have you managed to stay the same weight since 1st December??!!!

Anyway - hope everyone is doing more interesting things than me tonight. Mr B&T is on the phone to his sis, kids are playing on their new Wii game and I'm sat keeping my lap warm with the laptop. Will put Jools Holland on later and have some (more) champagne to pop later.

Only remains for me to wish everyone a very happy New Year.  May we stay injury free, may we all achieve  PBs and may we enjoy our running for the entire year.

P.S. Just ordered myself a garmin 405cx. Whoop whooop - absolute bargain on Amazon, just a shame it won't arrive for start of training schedule!

• Options

Hi All.

Happy new year

Ended 2011 with a 20 mile run bringing the total to 1744 miles, started the year off badly getting over the sciatica and trying to get some mileage in for London causing me shin splints.  London was a fantastic experience but the race didn' go to plan but after that have done well PB'd HM on a fairly hilly route and done some nice x-country races. 

Have no real targets (running) for 2012 apart from doing Snowdon marathon, have a few races planned and even though I'm not targetting anything to PB in I'm hoping to go back to do the HM that I PB'd in.  So expect that will be my main race for the year

B&T - Your getting the same deal as me with the 405cx from Amazon.  Mine came Friday and had its 1st outing yesterday.  The Bezel takes a bit of time to get used to.  I set the 3 data fields on mine and locked the Bezel when running.

P.S -  Have entered Snowdon Marathonimage

• Options
    just to say a happy new yar to all
  • Options

Happy 2012 to everyone! image

AH - great minds think alike re the Garmin. Couldn't believe how cheap it was image I have read in other places that the trick is to lock the bezel. Just wish I'd found the deal sooner as these few lazy days would be ideal to pour through the manual!  I was just about to ask if you'd entered Snowdon - well done! Now for the training ....! Am still image at the number of miles you ran last year - cor!

Toby - have you recovered from your horrid run yet? I discovered I had stiff legs today after yesterday's run - not had that since Marshfield, and can't remember when I last was stiff after just a run that wasn't a race image Think my legs are trying to tell me something! 

Just reading my schedule here (starts tomorrow) . Week 1 looks suspiciously easy - just '30 mins Easy' tomorrow. I get panicky if I read ahead too much!

• Options
    Morning all
    V exciting about new Garmins- I've got a 405 and love it. Only usu have to lock the bezel if it's raining pretty heavily
    Need to sort out a plan for this month but will aim for 70 miles and 5.25 done this morning with running pal
  • Options
    Just entered Trafford 10k on 11 march
    Supposed to be flat and fast -do you fancy it Jess?
  • Options
    Hiya everyone

Ahh bugger Sal. Just entered the Salisbury 10 miler that Foxy was telling me about which is on the same day. I'll add your race onto the list (and yours too AH - great you've entered).

Ohh Toby - what an awful run for you, but the fact you carried on means the next time (hopefully) you can think to yourself, thank god it's not like the last run. good luck on your next run.

Big wave to Julia T / B&T (I know what you mean about the schedule!) / Foxy / AH / Mel / Susiebe / Spen71 and anyone else I've missed. HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone and hope you're all good.

Had a lovely time at my mum's and some lovely short runs in the New Forest. First day of schedule training today and just an easy 30 minute run (like B&T) - however, running in new park I managed to run straight into a muddy bog so had to walk/wade through it for a bit, which slowed me down. I'm still quite slow in general but hoping I'll pick up a bit of speed in the next few weeks.

Below is the updated list with my new race / AH and Sal's races. :

GULP Running Club - Race Details

7th Jan 2012 ____ Jess L - Great Winter Run 5K Edinburgh

22nd Jan 2012 ___ Spen71 - Gloucester Marathon

4 Feb 2012 _______FoxyLady - Grim Night Terror

4 March 2012 _____SusieB - Bideford HM

11 March 2012 __ Toby3 / B&T - Bath Half Marathon / Claireruns - Addidas Half Marathon / JessL - Salisbury 10 miles / Sal - Trafford 10K

25 March 2012 ___ JessL - Wilmslow Half Marathon

31 March 2012 __ Sal - National Lottery Olympic 5mile Run

1st April 2012 ___ FoxyLady - Reading Half Marathon

15 April 2012 ___ Toby3 - Brighton Marathon

22 April 2012 ____ B&T - London Marathon

29th April 2012 ___ JessL / Susiebe1 - Manchester Marathon

20th May 2012 ___ JessL - Great Manchester 10K Run

9th June 2012 ____ JessL - 10K Trailblazer Sherwood Forest

16 Sept 2012 _____ Toby - Great North Run

27 Oct 2012 ______ Another Hill - Snowdonia Marathon

Thanks. Hope you're all well xx

Hope you're all good.
  • Options
    Good start Sal! Very impatiently waiting for my 405 to arrive. Especially as my old Garmin 50, the one with the broken foot pod that I wear as a HR monitor / general everyday watch now, has just split its strap and fallen off my wrist. Hope I can get a replacement strap as I love it!

Very pleased with myself, after dithering about whether 45 mins ice skating in the rain would count in lieu of a run, I finally made it out. Marathon training has begun! Week 1 run 1 ticked off! image Okay, so it was only '30 mins Easy' but even so it's ticked off!
  • Options
    Jess -we cross posted there! Glad you had a good time at your Mum's and got some running in! I had about 10 m of totally flooded path today - no way round, so just had to go for it. Brrrrr it was cold! Can you add me to the race list as well please - 29th January Slaughterford 9. Ta!
  • Options
    Hi B& T

I should have gone for it too but was worried it would be a bit of a 'Vicar of Dibley' moment and I would be in it up to my shoulders!

Added your race lovey image

29th Jan 2012 ___ B&T - Slaughterford 9

11 March 2012 __ Toby3 / B&T - Bath Half Marathon / Claireruns - Addidas Half Marathon / JessL - Salisbury 10 miles / Sal - Trafford 10K

Hope you're all good.

• Options
    image to the Vicar of Dibbly!
  • Options
    ha ha!

Just entered another one near my Mum's image the New Forest 10 Miler on 8 July image

If anyone fancies any of these races and needs a place to stay, my Mum's place is www.woodfallsinn.co.uk. Website currently being updated but has a lovely bar with local real ale, and a fabulous restaurant (and not being biased!) image

29th Jan 2012 ___ B&T - Slaughterford 9

8th July 2012 ____ JessL - New Forest 10 Mile

Hope you're all good.
  • Options

Evening All,

Seems like the race list is growing again.

B&T - Well done on the run and the 1st one ticked off.

Well first bit off training this year just a tad under 11 miles at one point it started to snow that heavy, I could not see anything thankfully it `stopped after a few mins.

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Had a cough lurgy before xmas .. that shifted but have now caught a cold lurgy from somewhere. I did manage another 5ml run between lurgy attacks which brought my 2011 total up to a fairly disappointing 436mls. I'm hoping for an injury-free 2012 and have set myself the following targets:

at least 600mls this year
    a sub-28 5K (PB is 29:06)
    a sub-60 10K (PB is 61:03)
    try and remember in time to enter the Badminton 'horseless' trials! image

I haven't got round to entering any races yet - must check which ones are in my club championship so I can start setting myself some targets. I was already planning to join my local gym and get back to seeing my PT once a month. I have discovered that when I turn 60 in April the gym cost will decrease by 25% image No running-related goodies for me for xmas from Mrs Wm has kindly 'treated' me to 8 sessions at a 'boot camp' that my PT will be running starting on 15th Jan.

Trying to catch up with everyone's news. Way too much there for me to comment on everyone's posts individually however ..

Susie - I have Hilly socks and use them all the time - no blisters, and after several years, still no sign of wear!

B&T - hope we may be running together again some time this year (River Run and Corsham 10K?).

*waves* to everyone else

• Options

Evening All,

5 miles tempo run done,  very windy conditions which made it hard work on the way back.  Feel like I'm coming down with a lurgy - sore throat etc so an early night for me.

Take are all

• Options
    Weather foul here - almost glad I worked late as wouldn't have fancied running in it
    Does Mrs WM like you Mel?!! Hope you're better soon
    What a shame Jess- we're doomed never to meet!
    Speedwork recommences tomorrow- gulp!
  • Options

Morning all

Well 5 mile yesterday did them on the treadmill in the garage as when i started the weather was appalling we have set up and old portable TV and DVD player in there so i watch the Film Doge Ball while doing them

i have 8 to do today so depending what the weathers doing it may well be back in the garage again today think I’ll watch shooter

i must say about yesterday when looking out the window at all rain i just didn’t fancy another soaking like the one i had on Friday

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I thought I was getting over this cold lurgy. Seem to be more bunged up today and was coughing a lot last night in bed (had left Mrs Wm in peace and was keeping well away in the spare room). Don't think I'll be running for a few days yet.

AH - well done re the tempo run. Sorry to hear you're getting a lurgy too.

Sal - well, Mrs Wm says she lurves me image But I have pulled her leg about me giving her a spa day and getting a boot camp in return image

Toby - well done re the 5miler and good luck with the 8mls today.

*waves* to everyone else

• Options

Mel - image at you giving Mrs WM a spa day and getting Boot camp sessions in return! But hooray for 25% off Gym costs! Was thinking about the Corsham 10k only yesterday, and thinking I'd love to get sub 60 there (Castle Combe feels like a bit of a cheat as its so flat!) However just checked the date, and *think* I may be a little busy on 22nd April this year image Gulp! River Run for sure though - we know to start nearer the front this year! Hope you can shake off the lurgy quickly.

Toby - weather here yesterday was really horrible - not surprised you didn't want to go out in it! Hope you managed to run today before the rain started again (just started here again now, but was lovely first thing).

AH - not surprised you're feeling ill, running in a blizzard! Hope you can shake it off quickly.

Jess - New Forest 10 sounds good - I have a feeling it was listed in RW mags 'Top races' this month - can't remember which category though. I was really pleased that my local HM, Chippenham is now listed as the 3rd best HM in the country! Will bear it in mind for later in the year!!

Sal & Jess image at you two never actually managing to meet up!

Hallo to everyone else as well - think most sane people are hiding from the weather at the moment.

Made it out for my 2nd run on my schedule this morning - weather was actually beautiful then. Clear skies and just cold enough to keep my gloves on without it being freezing. No HR monitor, but took it really slowly  and it felt much easier than my last 2 runs which is GOOD! Was supposed to be 40 mins Easy, so set off for 4 Miles which actually tiook me 48 minutes (told you i was taking it easy!). Have to run tomorrow & Friday now to keep on track, so I think taking it easy & slow is a good idea.