Options

GULP just entered my first half marathon

Comments

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Yvonne - glad to hear legs and brain are speaking to each other again. Good luck for Sunday. Will be recording the VLM (all 6 hrs worth) and will be keeping an eye out for you. Will be playing "Where's Yvonne" instead of "Where's Wally". Fingers crossed car passes MOT okay.

No running for me yet but planning to walk on treadmill again after work wearing new walking boots.

• Options

hi all like Mel no running for me this week but must get back to it on Monday it will be strange just doing short little runs after all that long mileage but I’m going to have to step my game up over the next year as my daughter has decided she wants to go for a G/F/A place at Brighton next year so she can get into London the following year which means she’ going to have to take another 1hr 40min of her time for this year

so were firstly were going to have to get her used to running continual instead of the run walk and then build up the pace she running at as she will have to get used to running at least 8:58 pace to achieve her target and after all i can’t have her getting in and not me which means i have to take at least 20 minutes of my time as well

• Options

Morning all

well i was going out for a run today but have to wait for the gas man so it’s the treadmill for me just going to 3 miles just to get the legs working again then I’m going to attempt to build the pace up over the next 3 or 4 weeks as i want to have a pop at my 10k time when i run the Bristol 10k in may my PB stands at 46:17 would love to go  under 45minutes

wonder how Yvonne got on in London

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

I couldn't take the suspense any longer so texted Yvonne to ask how she did. I won't say any more as I don't want to steal Yvonne's thunder. Let's just say it wasn't her worst run ever image

Toby - my back seems to be better (not 100% but much better than it was). So I can start treadmill runs again this week. Good luck to you and Snowmaiden in your new quest. 

I survived the weekend looking after the grand-daughters but was was really worn out last night - slept like a log!

Walking boot update - I've had a couple of 1.5ml walks on the treadmill and they seem to be fine. Not tried them 'for real' outside yet though.

• Options

Hellooooo I'm back from my week of madness...brighton as usual was ace as you all know my pb was gotten a shiny 4:13

London, I wanted to enjoy it,and do a sub 4:30 got round in 4:27 ,I've got major tan lines was a tad warm ....going over tower bridge was unforgettable, canary wharf high and shiny,big Ben and parliament formidable,the crowds noisy 

I ran both marathons for Parkinson's UK and their support in both marathons was second to none ...

I've done london now,and I hope I don't sound ungrateful but I wouldn't want to do it again, my idea of fun isn't getting my heels run on,nudged,or nearly tripped several times, far too many runners for my liking....even the 4:30 runners world pacer I ran the first 12 miles with said it was busy and he was surprised it hadn't thinned out by mile 6 ,we had to play catch up as mile 3 was 11:11 

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Yvonne - ahhh, but are they 'comedy' tan lines thoughimage Glad to hear you enjoyed parts of the VLM experience but can understand the crowds getting to you. Not having done VLM I always imagine it's would be like the Bath HM crowds but far, far busier.

I'm hoping to have time for another run on my treadmill tonight when I get home. I only did 2mls on Tue evening as Mrs Wm had dinner almost ready. Hoping she won't be quite so efficient tonightimage

Off to see grand-daughters again on Saturday as it is younger one's 3rd birthday. Then have a long walk planned for Sunday as more training for the C2C walk. Need to try and do 11-12mls and judging by forecast, I'm going to get wet.

• Options

Well I've got a vest on with wrist bands and short lines!!! Not good when I have my son's wedding this Friday ha ha ..

Well went for a lovely 5:20 mile run yesterday,have to say,felt really fresh, left the Garmin at home and just ran which was nice to do to...

Have a week of non stop getting ready for my son's wedding on Friday what with hair and nail fingers and toes appointments, then dress buying tomorrow...

Goodness knows how my daughter in law to be feels, she has organised the whole thing!! Down to what the flower girls are wearing in their hair,and earrings for bridesmaids...all my family are involved and I'm even witnessing the register signing!!! Gonna be an emotional day as gemmas dad died in January, so her two young sons who are 3 and 5 are walking her down the aisle ....

Glad your running and walk training is going well Mel , my mum has done the c2c too...

Waves to Toby and B&T 

• Options

Well I've got a vest on with wrist bands and short lines!!! Not good when I have my son's wedding this Friday ha ha ..

Well went for a lovely 5:20 mile run yesterday,have to say,felt really fresh, left the Garmin at home and just ran which was nice to do to...

Have a week of non stop getting ready for my son's wedding on Friday what with hair and nail fingers and toes appointments, then dress buying tomorrow...

Goodness knows how my daughter in law to be feels, she has organised the whole thing!! Down to what the flower girls are wearing in their hair,and earrings for bridesmaids...all my family are involved and I'm even witnessing the register signing!!! Gonna be an emotional day as gemmas dad died in January, so her two young sons who are 3 and 5 are walking her down the aisle ....

Glad your running and walk training is going well Mel , my mum has done the c2c too...

Waves to Toby and B&T 

• Options

Oops pressed submit twice me thinks ...

• Options

Yvonne hope all goes well on Friday

• Options

Morning all

well training for the Bristol 10k kicked of this morning did 6 miles will do 3 tomorrow god this seems strange talking about doing 6 miles when for the last 3 months it's been 18's and 20’s

• Options
    Yvonne -loving the sound of the comedy tan lines! Hope everything goes well on Friday for you and your family. You get to be a mother-in-law! Oh, and from various race reports I've read, they all say how crowded VLM was this year.

Toby - sounds like such short runs. Time for some speed!

Mel - glad the walking is still going well. And the treadmilling as well.

After a lovely week's skiing and then a chocolate filled Easter, I finally made it out for a long run. 8 miles, and boy did it feel HOT!!! My heart rate was high, so on the slope back home I had a few sneaky walking breaks. Phew!

Anyone entering the ballot for next year's VMLM?
  • Options

Ok hands up I confess, I've entered the ballot for London,just for a giggle, I'll never get in!! Cos I'm in the average time and age pile ....mind you if I do get in I'll have some serious explaining to do to my daughter!! Oops....

I didn't want to leave London on a sour note....

• Options

Ha ha - knew you'd crack, Yvonne!! I'm sitting on my hands to stop myself entering. *If* I do a marathon next year, I want to do something different. Maybe one of the Rock'n'Roll marathons????

Just back from a 3 mile recovery run. Boy my hips were stiff this morning - think I need to get my long runs sorted out to stop that happening again!

• Options

Morning all

Well 3 miles on the treadmill for me today as I’m being a wimp and didn’t want to get wet

Yvonne what are you like all i can say is you have to get your daughter a pram fit for running and take the baby out on your training runs with you

B&T glad you enjoyed you’re skiing yes it was a tad on the warm side yesterday

Oh and by the way both me and my daughter have entered the ballot for London Poohbear has decided not to do another marathon until she can run a sub 2hr H/M

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

Yvonne - not chuckling about the comedy tan lines - honest! image Maybe a bit of fake tan to even things out for wedding? Good luck with all of that by the way - sounds like everything is (sort of?) under control. See you couldn't resist entering the VLM ballot image

Toby - I should think adjusting from mara training to 10k training will seem a bit odd at first. Oh and see you (and Snowmaiden) have entered the VLM ballot too.

B&T - well done re 8ml run (bearing in mind holiday break and easter egg consumption!). Sorry to hear about sore hips after today's 3ml recovery run.

Planning to jump on the treadmill after work tonight. Will do a 3ml run (or maybe a bit more if time allows and legs are up to it). Hope to get a couple more runs done by the weekend.

C2C update - I have sent off the cheque for the balance so no going back now. I've decided to keep those Brasher boots - not been outside in them yet but happy with them after a couple of sessions on the treadmill. Did two walks in Cirencester Park over the weekend. A 10ml walk on Friday (sunshine) and an 11ml walk on Sunday (rain). On Sunday I walked up and down 'Big Bertha' a few times. She's not as big and steep as the name suggests but she is still good practise.

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Quick update ..

Went on the treadmill last night. Walked for 2 mins then did 3ml run and upped speed each mile (5.5/5.6/5.8 mph) for overall time of 32.07 (avg pace 10:42mm). Feels like I am getting back into the groove image Calves were a bit sore afterwards - just my body reminding me to keep on s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-gimage 

• Options

Yay Mel!!! Good news - just keep stretching!!!

• Options

Evening All,

Well congrats to the marathon runners especially Yvonne for doing two in a week a PB another good time.  Toby/snowmaiden od luck with the ballot and attempting to get a GFA.

Mel - nice to hear your getting better and the traning for the walk is going well.

B&T - A different marathon try Snowdon it is fantastic.

Meself - Training going well doing 3 -4 runs a week between the 8 - 10 mile mark - two bike rides a week one 40 mile ride and one shorter and faster,  one swimming session a week the least said about the better but it is getting better.

Also entered the Ballot will wait for the no no in October.

Take care all. 

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

CW - good to hear from you and that training is going well - including the fact swimming is improving.

*waves* to everyone else

Managed another 3ml treadmill run yesterday evening at 10:47mm pace so was pleased with that.

Apropos of nothing .. I'm on earlies today and finish work at 2:30pm. My friend Alan is on holiday this week (decorating) and my other friend Joan is finishing early too. So Alan & Diana and Joan are coming round at 5pm for a get-together and meal. And I'm putting my sauna on beforehand as a pre-weekend treat for us all image

• Options

Yvonne - hope all went well today at the wedding. Shame about the weather image

CW - Snowdon looks fantastic, but I'm not falling for it - it's most definitely a mountain!!

Mel - all sounds good on the exercise front. Enjoy your dinner (and sauna) tonight

Waves at Toby

I made it out for 4 miles this morning. Hips still a bit sore, but I was finding it a bit hard going. Then I remembered I gave blood on Wednesday so it was hardly surprising my HR was up!

• Options

Morning all

Went out for a run yesterday just 6 miles the rain never looked that heavy when i left but boy was i soaked by the time i got home

Yvonne hope all went well

Mel glad the running’s coming along i hope the get together went well

B&T hope you recover soon from giving blood

• Options

Room for a little one in here?

Complete beginner (cant even run a mile!!) but have entered the Brighton Half Marathon next February!

• Options

Elise B7 always room for a little one, welcome along...

I've run brighton half, really good little half ( when they get it right) don't worry about me,I just happened to run it when they made the course a little to long so the results had to be altered...but it would of been my pb ,and still is my pb although not recognised!! Apart from that the last 2 years they have obviously been painstakingly meticulous to get it right and it is a good one, you'll enjoy it!! 

Just to say my son's wedding was bloody brill, my daughter in law looked stunning,well she is stunning anyway but even more so....the rain made it more, shall we say interesting, with the ushers,my other son being one of them, holding 4 brollies, over the bride trying to get from the car to the church, her son who is 3 got out of the car and fell into a puddle!! Anyway, the service went beautifully, and I blubbed,when they walked down the aisle as bridesmaids,came down first then the bride, came down walking and holding hands with her two young sons ( her dad died 3 months ago,in January) so was an emotional day,so we never had the who gives this woman away part,and she had a picture of her dad in her bouquet.....

No pics outside the church cos of the rain and the ushers were called upon then to keep husband and wife dry from church to car!! Anyway we all made it to cricklade house,dry and in one piece, sit down 3 course meal,with men and woman having different starters and mains,we all had crumble for pudding with custard and ice cream!! Speeches were hilarious, then we all danced the night away from 7:30 till 1 am!! Yes I danced for 5 hours!! Stayed the night at hotel, had 4 hours sleep, then managed a full English at breakfast, then left at 11.....son and daughter I L are staying till tonight,, 

One downside though was gemma my new daughter I L,her auntie,who is her dad's sister tripped over a chair leg on her way back from the dance floor, and dislocated her shoulder and fractured a bone in her arm, so had to have an op to put it back in place,yesterday morning at the hospital,but she is pain free now and home...

• Options

The wedding sounds fab apart from injury on the dance floor… nasty.

I'm another newbie. Started running in January and have completed C25K and 5K to 10K on a treadmill. I've just entered the Royal Parks Half in October, so am transitioning to outside running for a few weeks before getting in to proper half marathon training. Any tips on that would be welcome!

Hello everyone image

• Options

Morning all

no running for me this weekend must get out on Monday trying to build my pace back up as I’m going for a PB when i run the Bristol 10k in 2 weeks time trying for a sub 45 minute time if Possible

Elise B7 welcome as Yvonne said always room for a little one on this thread you have plenty of time to build your distance up over the coming year but be careful not to try and build it up to fast  

EM-68 also welcome there are a lot of training plans out there you just need to find one that suits you as for the transition from treadmill running to the road there not a lot to be said but just get out there and do it i still use the treadmill myself from time to time so there no harm in doing both

Yvonne glad the wedding went well and everyone had a great time sorry to read about your new sister-in-law hope she mend soon and not in too much pain

• Options

You're right toby3. I've been looking at transitioning for a while and finally started yesterday with an easy couple of miles in our local country park - was a little worried because when I did a 5k fun run there it really hurt. But this time it went well and no ill effects today.

Good luck for a fast time in the Bristol 10k

• Options

My O/H had the same problem when she ran her first 10k all her training had been done on the tredmill and she found that as the impact on the road is a lot harder there no give like on the tredmill it hurt her knees she made shore she did a lot more road training before her next one

• Options

A lovely muddy,wet 6:5 miles for me tonight....I love splashing through those puddles,ruins my trainers but I feel like a big kid!!! Good job I now have 2 pairs one for muddy splashing and one pair for roads....

• Options

6 miles for me yesterday and on yesterdays performance a sub 45 min is not looking good did in just over 53mins though having said that on reflection it's not bad i suppose as there were 3 very steep hills in the course i ran yesterday will probably do 3 today the a gym session on Wednesday