Options

GULP just entered my first half marathon

Comments

• Options

Toby, I'm hoping if I follow everyone else going faster than me it will help with my pb....I can never gee myself up enough running on my own to keep a constant speed up ....I'll play catch the shirt on the day and see how I go, plus I always run on trail here at home so it should feel easier on the roads 

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Sorry I've not been around much. Work are having a bit of a 'thing' at the moment about surfing the net so its difficult to make time get onto RW so regularly.

B&T - dinner with friends (and sauna before) was good .. just nice to get together for a relaxing evening and have a chinwag over some glasses of wine. Well done re 4ml run - think you're right about giving blood making it a bit harder than usual.

Toby - well done re that wet 6ml run - hope you dried out quickly afterwards. See you've done another 6ml run since then. 

Elise - there's just a few of us post regularly here so welcome along. Ask away if you have any questions. Glad to see you've given yourself lots of time to prepare for the Brighton HM.

Yvonne - glad to hear son's wedding went so well despite the rain. And sorry to hear about the lady tripping over and injuring herself. Had a chuckle at you being a big kid splashing through puddles! image

Em - welcome along to you too. I'm coming back off an injury and all my running is on a treadmill at the mo. No particular tips about running outside apart from the obvious. Hopefully you already have some proper running shoes (treadmills have a lot more 'give' than roads and pavements). And on a personal note - I don't use headphones when running outside - I always like to be aware of my surroundings. I see you ran in a local park - good idea as grass is much more forgiving - but see you didn't have any after-effects so that's good.

I did 4mls on Saturday (avg pace was 10:32) and have done a 3ml run tonight in 31.12 (avg pace was 10.24 and splits were 10.50 10.22 10.00). So speed is coming back nicely.

C2C update - was out walking again on Sunday. Wore my new Brasher boots outside for the first time. Mrs Wm joined me for the first 4 miles then headed home. I carried on looping around Cirencester park and managed 12 miles in total in 4h 39m .. no problems with the new boots .. just my feet and legs were a bit achey!

• Options

Hi Wm  - this is such a lovely forum, wish I'd joined earlier. Thanks for the encouragement and advice image

I used mapmyrun tonight - having been on a treadmill I've never measured proper speed/distance before and was absolutely amazed to do 3 miles in 31:42. I thought I was way off that pace - 12:30 or so - either my treadmill lies, or the fun of being in the great outdoors helped me along!

• Options

to my shame never got the 3 miles done yesterday must do the gym sessoin today though

Mel glad the training for the C2C is coming along nicely and the boots are working out well

Em-68 i think treadmills lie as it always takes me longer to do 6 miles on mine than it does when i run outside

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Em - glad you feel welcome here image Interesting about the treadmill vs. MapMyRun .. I have my Garmin when on my treadmill (so that I know my mile splits) and the two always have more or less the same time. Anyway, wouldn't mind betting being outdoors (and relative excitement!) helped with pace.

Toby - wouldn't worry too much about missing 3ml run.

I'm glad new walking boots are working out okay too - thought they would, but you're never sure until you've tried them 'for real'. They get another test this weekend. Will be in Malvern and will be walking them thar hillsimage  Going to try and do 12 (hilly) miles. In the meantime, will try and fit in another run after work today.

• Options

I've got some brasher boots - I really like them, much more comfortable and waterproof than my last pair.

Aiming at running a full 10k for the first time on Saturday - it'll be the end of my 5k-10k programme… then on with the half marathon training! I'm doing the Royal Parks half in October. Must be true now because I've written it down.image

• Options

Em_68  good luck with the 10k on Sunday

• Options

Good evening all (new and old)

For the new ones - good luck with the training have plenty of recovery days and just concentarte on building your base up. 

Treadmills/outside - Nothing like outside running but treadmills have got a place  I believe - tempo/intervals and short recovery runs can be really useful.  Always found treadmills harder?  They are usually out of sync as well.

Toby - Im sure you will rock the next 10K.

Mel - Liking the Malvern hill training.  Bliss!!!

This week been mostly cycling with a 30 miler last night rest tonight, 8 mile run planned Friday- going to footy Saturday,  Sunday swim and bike and see what weather is like for Monday if fine 20 mile bike followed by 5 mile run.

Take care all. 

• Options

Morning all!

Em-68 - best of luck with your 10K tomorrow - and with your half marathon training. As others have said, just take it steadily. Work on building up your distance before worrying about speed.

Toby - you're always quicker in a race!

Yvonne - wedding sounded great fun. Hope you've recovered from all the dancing (good cross training!)

CW - I feel tired just reading about your planned weekend! You're obviously enjoying the bikeimage

Mel - glad the boots are feeling comfy, and the walks are getting longer (and hillier!)

Elise - welcome to you too. Do post and let us know how you're getting on.

Bit of a rubish week for me so far. After giving blood last Wednesday all of my runs have felt incredibly hard, and these ar ejust little slow 3 milers. Then we were away at the weekend and ended up getting back really late on Sunday night (well, Monday morning really). I'd had to drive and I'm not used to driving for 3 hours in the dark and rain image Then I've had tummy troubles on my runs this week (I think after seeing my nephews & niece at the weekend), with my 5 mile run on Wednesday being a 3 mile slow drag because I was tired, followed by 2 miles clutching my stomach and trying not to bring my breakfast back up image Never had than on a run before ad I didn't like it!

Anyway. 5K race on Sunday - the Trowbridge 'Sci-fi' 5K (because it's on May the Fourth image) I've been busy making a Princess Leia costume to run in (No Mel - not the bikini!) At least I've got a good excuse for going so slowly!

• Options

we'll exspect to see photos

• Options

Toby - you're not the first to say that! I'm taking my teenaged son with me as photographer so fingers crossed he gets some photos and doesn't just sit in the car playing on his iPod!

• Options

10 miles done today after i had to kick myself up the bum to get out the door it was just a run today never worried about pace just aimed to get around as this is only the second time I’ve run that far since Brighton i haven't done anything over 6 miles so far

Went Ok did struggle i little towards the end but other than that it was just nice to get out

• Options

I love this thread,  it's like a close family who pop by to say hi, wish everyone well and pop back out again....

I've been enjoying my morning runs with my boys, I think patch runs 7 miles to my 5 and polo runs by my side but sometimes he gets so close his paws clip the back of  my heels, and it makes my ankles clang together and I don't know about you but that hurts!! The meadow has been getting drier so I'm coming back looking less like the swamp monster now ,but it's not so much fun , I never thought I'd say that...bring back the mud!! 

• Options

Evening everyone image  know what you mean Yvonne, it's horrible when your ankles clip together. I'm not sure my dawgie would stay with me on a run, he'd be off rolling in whatever nice smells he could find image

I did my 10k run on Friday and was really pleased with my time - 1:04.

Being a glutton for punishment I started my new 10k- half marathon app today and did another hour long run - probably not best to do two long runs so close together, but it's done now. I really enjoyed it and totally zoned out, which I've never really done before.

• Options

EM-68 this running lark is totally addictive,..well done on your 10km time too.... I've not really let my body totally recover from back to back marathons, I waited 4 days then I was back out again running, albeit just for pleasure ,not following a plan , running with my boys in the mornings, been getting a constant 5 miles in daily now, for last 2 weeks, I feel guilty if I don't do my am run with the boys,....patch kind of stays with me but as we run around a giant meadow, I can see him chasing birds....he is a collie!!! Say no more!! 

Have Bristol 10km next Sunday, off to stay with Toby and poohbear, looking forward to a good catch up, if it's one thing this thread has done its given me two great friends in them both......it's was also nice , when Mel, B&T, toby , poohbear and myself, met up at Swindon 10km last November ...good times

• Options

Afternoon all

well training my daughter for next year’s Brighton marathon kicked off yesterday she used a run walk method last year so the first thing we have to do is get her used to running continually for more than a mile so we did started with 2 miles this week then were up it to 3 next week then 4 and so on

Yvonne looking forward to seeing you Saturday for a catch up and your right this is a great thread

• Options

This is a lovely thread - even if some of us haven't been around much lately (sorry!)

Em - good time for your 10K, and greatthat you're so keen to start on your Hm training!

Yvonne - love the description of how your 'boys' run with you!

Toby - you're getting to be quite a trainer! Best of luck to you & Yvonne for next Saturday's 10K.

Mel - sounds like the walking's still going well.

CW - I finally got sick of being so slow on my old bike (it's a proper shopper bike and it weighs a TON!) and let Mr B&T buy me a new bike for my birthday. A proper road bike, much lighter, very snazzy, and if i can't keeep up with my son on this bike I've run out of excuses!

Sci-Fi 5K went well on Sunday. It was very warm and sunny, so the costume made it really hot. Still 5K in 29:18 - isn't my worst time ever, and I knew I'd be slower so I'm fine with that. However I will admit to being a little miffed that I didn't win the prize for best fancy dress!

Oh - you wanted photos :-

/members/images/502743/Gallery/Scifi5k#1cropped_0.jpeg

trying to add a photo but don't know if it's working ...

• Options

B&T  the photo links not working still looking forward to seeing though glad the 10k went well

• Options

/members/images/502743/Gallery/Scifi5kcropped.jpeg

Ah - there we are!

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Catching up after a few days away ..

Em-68 - my new Brasher boots are working out well (see below). Good luck with the forthcoming HM training - nice to have a target to aim for. Doing two 10k runs back-to-back is a good start but make sure you have some recovery days.

CW - Malvern Hill training was indeed bliss (see below). Well done re the recent cycle/run/swim training and plans for the weekend.

B&T - sorry to hear about rubbish training due to giving blood and tummy troubles - not what you need! I've no idea why you automatically assumed I'd suggest Princess Leia wear a bikiniimage That's a good time considering you were in fancy dress - a little miffed you didn't get a prize or a lot?image

Toby - well done re 10 miler on Friday. I see the Brighton marathon training with your daughter has already started then.

Yvonne - glad to hear the meadow is finally drying out. Good luck with forthcoming Bristol 10k.

I've seen the sci-fi 10k photos and I'm sure B&T won't mind me saying she has a lovely pair of buns.

I've upgraded my training facilities in my garage and now have the old tv and dvd recorder near the treadmill. I haven't sorted out the headphones yet though. So I watched The Terminator in silence while I did 4mls .. it beats staring at the wall!

The Malvern weekend worked out well - the new boots were comfortable and I couldn't have asked for better weather. Walked by myself on Saturday and if I saw a hill I went over the top! There was an ultra race going on while I was out walking so lots of runners and walkers buzzing around on the hills. Had an altogether more leisurely walk with Mrs WM on Sunday (5mls). According to my Garmin I managed 12.2mls on Saturday with a total ascent of 885 mtrs (2900ft in old money). I was getting tired by the end (which I was expecting) but I wasn't on my last legs by any means. And now I have a better idea on how I will feel on various days on the C2C (there's only one day when we do over 300oft of climbing). I've uploaded the info from Saturday onto Garmin Connect if you're interested - I think you can use this link to view it without needing to be registered on GC - here

• Options

Good elevation profile there Mel!! Thank you for the buns compliment, and yes, if I'm honest really quite miffedimage

• Options

/members/images/502743/Gallery/Sci-Fi-actioncropped_0.jpeg

and an action photo just because I've worked out how to do it image

• Options

Great fancy dress outfit  B&T I can't see anyone else wearing fancy dress in that pic, so who won??? I would of given you a prize!! 

Mel just as the meadow is drying out it rains again yea!! Still good practice for sodbury slog which I'm definitely doing in November entries open now and it's only £17 , have to do it soon though as it's full after four weeks ...

• Options

Yvonne - the winners were a lady in a costume that I had no idea who she was (kind of like a roman soldier??!!) and another Princess Leia who was in a white tank top & a white tennis skirt. Her hair buns were her own, I'll give her that, but someone pointed out that maybe it was the short skirt that swung it for her! There were only maybe 10 of us in costume, but the Darth Vader sweeper was awesome. I'd have kept on running if he was behind me!! Oh, and it's your fault it's rained again, is it??!! Sodbury slog is another of those races I always think I'll enter "one day"...

• Options

B&T love the outfit looks from the photo you had a great time

Mel glad to read the training for the C2C is still progressing well

Yvonne the sodbury slog your a lot braver than me though i have heard some good thing's about it

• Options

I'd never heard of the sodbury slog until I saw it in runners world in a write up and thought that looks fun and challenging, and since I've been slipping around the meadow every morning and enjoying it I thought a run to have fun with would make a change.....a neighbour who ran London this year would like to do it too, so I've got to give him the website so he can enter...

I also like the fact they play the last post before you set off as it's on remembrance Sunday.

• Options
    Hi all

Mel - great that you enjoyed the Malvern hills, nice part of the country and good training.

Yvonne - yes I've heard of the Soldbury slog good luck with that one!!

B&T - nice photos, any chance of posting the other Princess Leia, can't believe u didn't win perhaps next time have some bullets for your gun. Bike how fab can we bore everyone, nice b'day pressie. You must do a brick session and report back.

Meself - weekends training went well, need to get some more distance back intoy running and then I will look for some races .

Take care all
  • Options

Entries for the slog are now open, but I've got no money!! Will have to wait for Tuesday when I get paid, hopefully it won't sell out in a week!! Also been toying with the idea of a nice small marathon in August, although I'm on holiday for two weeks at the height of what would be the training!! So unsure on that ...although I suppose if Manage to swim and walk during hols I'll keep some fitness , and if I can do a few 20 miles before I go it may be feasable.....it sounds mad but I miss having structure, I'm still at a loss on a Saturday morning without a run ,well I've been running most days but for pleasure which is nice and I ran this morning although I've got Bristol tomorrow morning ...but it's nice to run for pleasure but also for a purpose cos sometimes it makes you complacent and then you get into the can't be bothered mode....it's the Salisbury 5-4-3-2-1 marathon I'm thinking of doing ..

Off to Bristol later, to stay with Toby and poohbear, can't wait for a good natter about running, amongst other stuff ..

• Options

Hello everyone.

Best of luck to Yvonne, Toby & Poohbear for tomorrow!

CW - I was trying to resist posting the photo of the other Princess Leia as it just seems too catty. Might wait until I'm feeling really bitter & twisted and full of wine one  Friday night...

I'm supposed to be doing some Salamon 'CityTrail' run thing I signed up for. All free, supposed to be showing you trail runs in 'your' city. I signed up for bath, but if the weather's horrible I might not go (ssh!)

Pseudo excuse, I went out on my NEW bike yesterday with Mr B&T. It was really quick and light and apart from feeling strange was good. We got to Lacock (always full of tourists as you can imagine) and debating stopping for an ice cream. I was so busy trying to decide whether I wanted an ice cream or not I managed to do one of those really embarrassing "falling over whilst still completely stationary on bike" things. image Really banged my knee, massive bruise there now, but worst bit was lying on the pavement tangled up in my bike and hearing a woman passing by saying "I don't know. She just fell off!" imageimage

Ah well. maybe I should stick to running. Sounds safer.

• Options

ooh, that sounds painful! I'm a complete klutz on a bike, running is indeed much safer.
    … although, I had a terrible long run yesterday - had my elbow bashed by a cyclist as I ran up the towpath image. Not a good run at all, my legs felt like lead and running right over to the side on a sloping surface was uncomfortable. I nearly gave up on the way back and I've not had to do that since I started training.

These things happen, I suppose, but maybe I'll avoid that route. Don't really fancy being tipped into the river by another cyclist who won't slow down!

btw, loving the Leia costume B&T!