Options

What do you carry with you on long runs?

I'm carrying more and more stuff with me on half marathons and longer.

I have a Ron Hill water bottle belt with two pouches. I carry my mobile phone (inside a resealable plastic bag). Some tissue paper (in a resealable plastic bag). Body Glide. A plastic poncho folded very small that I got from the Paris Marathon a couple of years back. A couple of Ice Power packs in case I ache. A £10 note in a plastic bag (when I'm training - in case I need a bus or taxi. I have used it several times for buying a drink in a pub when I'm nearing home). A print out of the course if there's one available. A water bottle and a sports drink in my hand. My reading glasses. A small packet of salt (for low blood pressure at the end).  I used to carry sweets but I am happier with just the sports drink. 

Comments

• Options
    Ah well, you're a pirate, you're already super-human.
  • Options
    I've done a 15 miler with nothing but a bottle of drink.

By the 9 mile mark I wasn't even wearing a vest.
  • Options
    I've used everything I carry!  The tissues come in very handy.
  • Options

You talking races here or training runs?

Training runs (under 2 hours)
    Music
    Phone
    hanky
    keys
    small drink

(over 2 hours)
    camelbak
    gels or these days Milky Ways
    plastic bag for wrappers of above
    music
    phone
    hanky
    tissues
    keys
    small tin Vas

races
    phone (sometimes)
    music (sometimes)
    gels or similar if required

• Options

Training runs (anything up to 15 miles, haven't done anything longer yet) : my front door key.

Races (10ks and Halfs) : my car key.

On very hot days I may take a small bottle of drink.

Umm....that's it.

• Options

training runs: phone, bottle of water

races: nowt

over 15 miles: packet of sweets

• Options

If I'm just running local, a bottle of water and some crewing gum.

If I'm feeling saucy and head off into the countryside (peak district) Rucksack with waterproof, jumper, chocolate, small first aid kit, wallet and mobile. Sometimes even a book if I know I've got all day and can chill out in Hathersage, Edale etc.. before heading back.

At the end of the day all you really need is trainer's

• Options
  • Options
    image errr don't you go out of the house in clothes normally? image Mouse where do you live?
  • Options
    ClagClag ✭✭✭

image Lol @ Cake!

On longer training runs I take my Nathan waistpack with water, tissues, my door key and £2 for emergencies (ie, more water). I don't carry my mobile as don't want to run the risk of having it nicked. I don't carry more money as I figure that if I need a taxi home I've got money in the house.

Shorter runs, I'll only take my door key.

Races - nothing unless it's over a half, in which case I'll take gels.

• Options

Cor, you lot travel light!

Up to 7 miles I just have my keys & a drink in my hand.

Over 7 miles I carry a bottle belt, into which I put:
    Ibuprofen
    Sport beans (though I've been carrying these for a whole year, its a cofidence thing)
    Mobile phone in plastic bag
    £2 coin
    Tissues
    Bottle of weak squash or electrolyte drink (HM or over)

Its steadily got more full as I've been caught out by different things.  The whole drink thing is very dependant on how much you sweat, IMHO.  I have a salty beard (this is a good look, I can tell you!) by about 5m even when its cold, so I need a lot of liquid.  I run with a woman in her late 60's who doesn't do more than sip from a tiny bottle during a summer marathon.  Horrifies me.

• Options

I take my inhaler and water even for small runs but always try to leave the key hidden somewhere or I spend all my time checking I haven't lost it.

For longer runs its a nathan waist bag with tissues, a small plastic bag with dates in (super energy fuel), a couple of quid and a piece of paper with my name, address & OH's fone number.  I only take my mobile if I'm running off road - I imagine that if i get into trouble on the streets someone will see me but if i had an accident off road I could be there for days before anyone found me.

• Options
    Couple of quid in for a bottle of water on a 10+ mile run, maybe some jelly babies, front door key and that's it. Maybe a few sheets of wipes, just in case image
  • Options

I always have keys and water with me

• Options
    Some water if it's a long run - depends on weather but unless it's a hot day not for anything under about 15-16 miles.   Car key if I've driven out somewhere - if I'm running from home I just hide the key in the garden. 
  • Options

This thread is a good illustration of why, despite being a wonderful sport, running is - in every sense - a repeat.

I'm pretty certain this thread happened last year. I wrote something very funny at the time about taking my starter pistol with me - how I laughed at that. Brilliant.

Runners World as a magazine peddles the same boring articles year after year.

The same thing happens to Paula every Olympics.

I never break 42 minutes for a 10k - no matter what terrain I'm on.

It's groundhog day.

Just to enter into the spirit of this thread - what I take on long runs is my business, so get lost.

Ahhh, nice.

(I'm in the mother of all moods. Better leave the computer and head to bed.)

• Options
    O yes. Keys.  I either have my car key or house key on me.
  • Options

I always have water with me not becasue I'm thirsty but because my mouth gets so dry....maybe I'll try the chewing gum for the shorter runs.....

I always have my ipod, it distracts me from my legs and lungs!  For longer runs, I have money, phone, camelback waist thingy and maybe some gels. 

• Options

for a long run

my camel bak
    keys
    mobile phone
    money
    tissues
    ibrufen
    gel
    gloves
    sweets
    music
    blister plaster
    ladies itemsimage

and always wear my garmin and hatimage

for my shorter ones I just omit the sweets and gels

No wonder I'm built like a pack horse

• Options

Short runs - Ipod, inhaler

Long runs (10+ miles) - Camelback alterra with water, phone, tissues, gel, inhaler, ipod

Races: 10k - ipod (sometimes), inhaler. HM - bumbag with ipod, inhaler, gel, tissues, small bottle of water.

Always have garmin and hat (or buff if it's very windy) and road ID.

• Options
    If the weather's OK then nothing. If it's cold and or wet then bum bag containing hat, gloves, buff and ultra light wind proof top.
  • Options
    I only take a wheelbarrow to carry my gonads.