Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: Wotsit (sub-4:30)

Comments

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

well.... it was 16 degrees when i left the house just after 6am - eugh.

by the time we started running at 10 it was really very warm. first half felt ok - managed all the hills (they didn;t seem that big first time round?) and did 2h15. i knew sub 4h30 was never a possibility but sub 4h40 looked good until the last 5 miles.

the wheels just came off - managed to run for 2-3 minutes and then walk for one. i had done my usual trick of overlodaing on sugar and my stomach was very crampy - was a bit concerned i was going to have an incident like my friend so took more immodium...

was gagging and heaving for large parts of the last 2 miles - really it was very grim - but everyone around me was suffering too and i just ran as much as i could. we all pulled each other round.

second half was 2h25 (so actually not a disaster time wise) - and the total time was 4h40 which (i think) is faster than last year and actually a post kids pb image

my stomach is still very ropey (probably not helped by the extra immodium?) - i haven't really managed to eat anything post race which i know is wrong but the thought of any kind of food (even pork pies and cheese twists ) makes me feel very ill. am just managing some salty crisps now.

really hated the last fwe miles - sworre never to run a marathon again but clearly that will pass.

the race itself is lovely - beautiful scenery, very well organised and supported. great goody bag and changing facilities. just a shame it's in may - always going to be warm. what i need is a january marathon!!!!!

• Options

yay you did it and a PB _ fab stuffimage congratulations

It did end up warm today didnt it - not easy to run in. That feeling will pass and you will be back. Sounds like a good race to do.

A huge brekkie may be the order of the day if you cant face food now. Take it easy, relax and look after yourself (and be looked after too)

• Options
    I think that is blinding stuff! Very well done. Tummy doesn't sound so good though. I agree with abs on the big brekkie thing. Could you manage a milkshake tonight, rather than solid food?

I was thinking about you this afternoon when the sun came out. I ran first thing and it was sweaty. Wickett ran after lunch and only did 12 miles and felt battered by the mugginess. I'd suggest Scottish marathons in the future, but Edinburgh has been baking in the last 2 years. Maybe a march marathon? Or October?
  • Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

image - feeling more pleased with myself today - even though the last few miles were rough, the time is pretty decent - everyone i spoke to afterwards had missed their target by 30 or 40 minutes - so 10 is actually not too bad.

and aches and pains are not too bad - so training seems to have paid off?

did manage a little bit of soup in the end last night - trying to work out what i can face now. v strange - have never ever had this?

yup - if i run a marathon again (if? ha!) - then it will have to be a winter one......

• Options
    Well done Gladrags, awesome effort image Glad you're not feeling too bad today!
  • Options

Glad you are feeling ok Gladrags - hope you are topping up those calories now.

No sporting news to report!!! Just ropey knees and a huge appetite.

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

calories being topped up now - no issues!

legs did stiffen up but nowhere near as bad as in previous years, and today am completely back to normal. am going to allow self a week completely free of any kind of exercise (possibly barring a quick swim tomorrow) - and then ease back in next week.

event photos were absolutely hideous - i look sort of crumpled and podgy - not a great look!!! so once this week is out of the way am going to really have to try to be more disciplined.....

• Options

I am nearly disciplined.  Except for the mini magnum last night, but I logged it and was still within my calorie allowance, so it was all OK.

I am back to obsessive eating, but it is at least making me shun the bad stuff and eat more fruit, veg, nut and seeds.  I bought a bag of Bakewell mix from Holland & Barrett which is dried cranberries, dried cherries and almonds.  Yum!  Must not eat too much of it though.

Glad to hear you are back to normal, Gladrags.  How are you enjoying not working, now that the race is out of your head too?  Are you managing to spend lots of time with the family?

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

not working will take some getting used to - was all set to try and establish a good little routine (gym, runs, art classes, coffee mornings, etc etc) - but recent events have thrown that out a bit so feel like am flying by the seat of my pants!

spending time with the children has real ups and downs - even just in one walk to school i can go from thinking they're little angels to wanting to scream!! but yes - does feel good to be with them and am sure we will reach some kind of truce soon!

well done on the diet. i find if i obsess that i tend to fall of the wagon big stylee at the weekends.... need a plan.

• Options

Ah but Gladrags - at least you have the time to properly deal with the repercussions of recent events.  Be terrible to have to be in work and not spending the time where you need to.

My diet plan is to fall off the wagon somewhat at the weekends.  Be good in the week, be realxed at the weekends.  I'd intended to do another 10m run this morning but I got a tweak in my achillies part way through, so left it at 6.5m.  A shame, but I can still feel the tweak now, so prob the right decision.  Was more cross about not getting to the end of my Marathontalk episode!

I've lost 3lbs so far this week.  Most of that I put down to the reduced load in my digerstive system!  I'm very aware that when I eat less volume my tummy is less bloaty.  But still - I'm smug image

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

ah yes - everything happens for a reason - no way i could manage to hold down a job at the moment.

am in my running clothes as i type - have had a whole week off so am going to go for a run after drop off this morning - hoping my toenails hold up image..... there is a 10 mile race in the new forest in july that my sis has entered - am quite tempted

have been mulling over the marathon lark. running a small marathon had lots of positives - there was no hype and no crazy build up. and no rhinos/wombles! think in cooler conditions, that could be a real positive. there is a portsmouth marathon but it's december and am wondering if that's not too far the other way?

oh - and 3lb? - be smug, be very smug!image

• Options
    December? Brr... Anything could happen! Though at least you'd be motivated not to stop for walk breaks so much if it was raining, snowing or blowing a gale? Be interesting, certainly.

Hope your toenails held up to the run. I've got to wait in for a parcel delivery today, so no running for me this morning (and he better bloomin come, otherwise I shall be very aggressive!) but I wasn't at my best yesterday so perhaps that is a blessing in disguise? Had to go back to bed for a bit mid-afternoon and I couldn't warm up at all. Strange really after a great run on Saturday morning, despite having to be pushed out of the door. Under 10mi but feeling really comfortable and pretty effortless.

As I am trapped in the house today, I shall mostly be doing chores. Starting with making the small boy's party invitations. Then 'sorting' toys. <evil laugh>
  • Options

December - ouch rather you than me! frozen fingers but the chocolate definitely wont melt. October is a possibility - not this year, quite fancy trying Abingdon.

fab news on the 3lb - i am going the other way - lack of running and exercise would do that i guess when accompanied with my appetite. The running will hopefully pick up now. The knee isn't  completely niggle free by any means but is improving. 10miles seems such a long long way now.

Toy sort out - you wicked wicked woman.

• Options

Well, the Wockette was sent home less than an hour after arriving at school (bad mother, sending her in when she didn't at all look ill... image) so the toy sort out never happened.  And also typically, the parcel delivery happened while I was out picking her up.  Thank goodness for wonderful neighbours.

Everyone here is a bit under the weather this week.  Wickett was home in bed today, the Wockette still poorly at Grandma's and the small boy came out of school in tears... but I think he'll survive.  I can't quite shake my headache from the weekend.  

I did manage a 4m walk today though.  Not deliberately, but because there was a fire in Worcester overnight which shut the main road into town and the resultant traffic was so dreadful that I had to ditch my car and walk into work from 2m out.  And walk back to it after work too.  Which would be fine, if I'd chosen shoes appropriate to that length of walk.  Upsettingly, I discovered that my fast paced walk happens at less than 15mi.  Thats not a whole heap slower than my normal run pace.  Boo!

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

sub 15 min miling in inappropriate shoes? good effort! sorry to hear everyone poorly - not good - hope normal sevice resumes soon?

was going to go for a run this morning (before my bread baking class - hark at me!) but H had a bad night last night so am going to break the rules, take them to school in the car and then have an hour or so relaxing with the newspaper... might manage a quick 30 mimute run before the after school pick up instead.

december - i know - but to be honest i do run better in the cold and wet. the route is coastal path and the limit is very small so it would feel like a long run but with someone providing the drinks?

• Options

Normal service back today.  Phew. 

The Wockette just passed her level 5 swimming today, am very proud.

I got out for a 7.5m run this morning, which was nice.  I discovered that all the garmins were uncharged (thats what happens when we're all ill for a couple of days!) so ran with just my normal watch on and no idea of the distance or speed.It was quite liberating.  My toes are still bothering me though.  I wonder whether that might be down to the fast walking in unsuitable shoes?

Loving the idea of a bread baking class!  Marvellous.  

Ran listening to marathontalk today, last week's episode, I think, but it was about how much harder it is to run in the hot because of the energy used when you are running 3/4 goes to produce heat and only 1/4 propells you forward (we are very inefficient) and when it is warm, it is harder to cool back down so your core temp rises, heart rate rises and physiologically it all becomes harder.  fascinating.

• Options

So what you are really saying Wotsit is that we all ran the equivalent of sub 4hr martahons at Brightonimage

Bread making - very impressive! There is an art to it i think - and i most definitely have not mastered the art.

Glad everyone is feeling better Wotsit and a good run too. I am enjoying the 'no pace' running. I wear the watch now on timer only and only see my pace if i happen to look when the mile split pops up.  I did 6.15m this morning - went out for 60mins and had no pain. Hurts a bit when i drive though and i have a long drive to Bedford tomorrow so thats not great but heh heh - i am running again, so will be happy with that.

No money out of my account as yet for olympic ticketsimage

• Options

Hell yes - at least! image

No news here on olympic tickets either.  Fingers crossed.

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

v interesting.... i always suffer so badly in the heat - and at halstead i really never got into my stride and found a comfortable breathing pattern. so am hanging onto Abs's suggestion that really the effort was equivalent to a sub 4!!

no money gone for the olympic tickets here either - i did check that german website but they really have very little left now image - and everything is at silly prices. not sure what i'll do if get nothing at all though as am determined to see something?!

just ran over to my friend's for coffee and then back. she lives 6 miles away - so quite pleased with self (smug emoticon!)

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

just popped in to say this afternoon had been v hard. in laws are down and seeing them with the kids (meeting them from school and bathing them/reading stories) has been really hard as my Mum will never get to do that stuff again.

V odd.  Have traditionally been a v emotional person but had that all in check, and then tonight I'm just a wreck.

Am going to feel like this with every step the kids go through aren't I? Am always going to be thinking that my Mum should be here. And having to tolerate people who (in my biased eyes) are far less worthy than her, having all the fun.

Sorry - very off topic. But needed to vent.

• Options

Gladrags - you are always allowed to vent here.  Thats what friends are for.  And I think that is a totally reasonable reaction and completely the way my cousin felt when my uncle was ill last year.  Because you are nice people it makes you feel double dreadful to feel that way, but people will understand.  Even your inlaws. Don't beat yourself up about reacting emotionally - it is allowed.

Those huggy brackets are cheesey, so if you could envision something less cheese but with the same sentiment, thats what I'm sending out.

I think the guy on the radio said that if you normally do 7mi at 150bpm (don't we all? Ha!) at 15 degrees, then raising the temp to 25 deg would 'cost' you an extra 20bpm for the same speed.  If your heart is working harder, you'll feel like it is harder to do the same 'work'.

Personally, I think that for those of us who carry a little more insulation than the professional athletes that issue must be magnified because your muscles are further below the surface and heat loss is less rapid and more based on the movement of blood than direct skin heat loss.

He did also suggest looser fitting clothes and as much skin on show as possible image for maximum cooling.  Have to say, I did run better in my short shorts the other day, though that might just be because I wanted to get off the main road and along the less populated routes as quickly as possible!

• Options
    I went for a change today and did 30 mins tae-bo video (it was throwing it down outside) then 10 mins pilates, then a run round the block for 20 mins (it had stopped raining, but I got caught in a huge downpour 5 mins from home!) and now I hurt.

The tae-bo was kind of funny actually, because I've not done it for ages and normally I find it very hard to get back in to it, but actually today I barely broke a sweat. Which might mean I am ever so fit?  Maybe image  Though I do seem to have pulled something in my ankle.  Sure it'll be better by the morning.  

Damson jam filled chocolate cupcakes, covered in buttercream today.  Mmmm....

Abs - have you had a go at making cake pops yet ?

http://blog.craftzine.com/Hello_Kitty_Pops.jpg

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

gah - had been doing so well! what started it all off was someone telling me how strong I was - cue me bursting into tears and having to leave the coffee morning! thanks though.....

i do always go down the maximum skin on show route for marathons as i overheat so quickly. makes for some hideous photos but good to know it is the right approach. am thinking about signing up for another 4 week bootcamp to try and reduce the amount of 'insulation' I am currently carrying!

think am going to do a 10mile race in the new forest in early july with my sis. need another focus.

cake pops? H would kill for some of those!

• Options
    I know! I'm cconsidering making some for the wockette's birthday party in a couple of weeks. They just look rather high maintenance!

Did you say race? I'm looking at a hm in the wyre forest in July just for a laugh. It's fell running and hilly, so no time pressure. Hmmmm...

Oh and I hurt today. Lots. I am officially feeble. But I do have a totally amazing new little black dress, in which I look tiny. Now, just need an occasion...
  • Options

Gladrags - you are being so so strong and Wotsit is so right - people completely understand and your reaction is entirely understandable.  Huge hugs for you...and vent whenever you need to.

I do need to find a race to enter - need a running focus. I have had a few good runs recently. My five milers appear to average about 9 30ish and am picking up to near 9 by the end. I did a little 20min run yesterday morning which was 8 50 pace - i knew i was working hard but felt in the mood for a short sharp one. Might try for a slow 8miles tomorrow which seems such a long way now!!

I am a huge fan of filled cupcakes - not the same without a little hole cut out - toffee sauce is a fave at the moment. Have not tried the pops yet but with a bank holiday - who knows.

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

'race' was full - should have listened when my sis said it filled up quickly..... 10 miles is a very appealing distance - would have beeen interesting. have entered the half for september instead...

mr g just gone off to the champions league final (huge relief as was getting fed up with him pacing up and down here) - so once the children have stopped playing quietly (can only last another 5 minutes surely??) will start up an afternoon of baking (meringues, fairy cakes and focaccia) - quite looking forward to it!

• Options

Mmm... sounds like a delicious afternoon!  Suspect Mr G had less fun?

Its worth posting on RW to see if anyone has a place for the race that they now can't use - or keeping an eye closer to the race date.  I got my stratford marathon place that way.

Have to say, my homemade damson jam is awesome in a filled cupcake.  Its quite strong tasting and not as sweet as most jam, so a good contrast to the buttercream.  I reckon lemon curd would be good too.

I'm having a rubbish exercise week, having strained everythign possible on Thursday and then doing some angry gardening on Friday means I'm only just starting to walk properly and move my arms again.   Turns out that, after all my discussions with her school about my concerns as her class have had either a teacher share or a teacher leave mid year in every class through school and no consistency, the head has appointed a NQT to teach them next year.  So disappointing.

Abs - fabulous running!  I've found my pace again too, though I'm more a 9.45 than your 9.30.over 5-6m.  I'm liking that feeling of picking pace back up again.  Thank goodness!

What about an offroad race over the summer?  Be a bit cooler than a road race and a different challenge?  I like this one: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/viewevent.asp?sp=&v=2&EN=63685&ms= image

• Options

Suffolk Fat Ass - how did i miss that - and mine feels like it is 67km wide at the moment too. So so tempting but i am not sure that i should push to that sort of distance yet. Was going to do Southend half on 12th June but will push back and do a half in Aug/Sept time instead. Think i need to find a 10k to set a new PB - mine is 54 54!

Focaccia - lushious. Hope the treats went down well. I did make some cake pops but was not overly impressed. I think we rushed them though. The chocolate cake receipe i used however was delicious, mixed with a cream cheese frosting mix which too was lush but once they were completed and decorated, i was a bit disappointed. I think i should have left the cake for a day before mixing with frosting and maybe left that too. I dont have that sort of patience - if i make something it should be started and finished on the same day. Will no doubt try again though.....and we used those candy matchsticks as the lollies - all edible, all the better!

It is strange that a break from running improves your pace, must be the extra energy as i am heavier now than marathon time. This  could motivate me to lose 10lb if i could be guaranteed a sub 2 half!!

Suppose i should go get dressed - sleft 13hrs last night, have been exhausted lately. J had fooball tournament yesterday from 9-5 then awards evening from 6 30. Picked up a trophy for 4th year in a row so he is very happy.

• Options
    What sort of icing do you add to your cupcakes with jam. I find the jam filled ones are lovely with cream cheese frostingimage
  • Options

That does sound good!  I just use a buttercream icing.  I've been using my Mum's buttercream icing for years and not being able to work out why I couldn't pipe it prettily, but I've realised that the pretty piped effect only works if you do the kind of buttercream which is made with room temp butter, icing sugar creamed in, not melted butter which hardens too fast.

2 days of cake pop making does sound a faff.  The Wockette has just been given a decorate your gingerbread man  book, so we might just been spending a bit of time making tiny icing trousers.  Hope they don't run away image