Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: Wotsit (sub-4:30)

Comments

• Options

What Abs said.  I absolutely don't want to go and see football!  Premiership football is better quality than olympic football and cheaper to watch.  Especially when you're talking about seeing it in Coventry's Ricoh stadium... oooh, the excitement image

Dreadful couple of weeks in our house, most thankful the worst is all over.  Just everything coming together at once, to a poitn where Wickett and I managed to spend 4 waking hours together in 10 days and most of those were spent barking instructions and bickering.  Not the best.  We do, however, have an evening together ALONE tonight, kids are off for a sleepover at Grandma's house image  I am looking forward to a lie in, followed by a relaxing morning with Wickett off for a long run, while I stay home alone.  Probably.  Or more likely get talked into doing the first 5 miles with him...

I'm loving the sound of cycling the Tour stage!  How far?  

My contract ends on Wednesday.  I've got an interview on Friday for something new, tutoring not teaching, less money but not marking/preparing which offsets it.  We shall see.  After that, I am all done for the summer, which from a position of barely seeing my family for the last 2 weeks, sounds very lovely.  Might change my mind in August, when there is no money!

• Options

Sounds so familiar Wotsit - they say tough time at work, easier at home but it never works out that way here. If we both work all hours, the sniping steps a gear for sure.  Have a lovely evening and good luck for the interview - sure you will breeze through it.

Tour stage is 125 miles - it is the long stage, the East Anglia one and will all be set up to replicate it. We will be doing half of that, purely because B still waiting for hernia op and he thinks 100k is achievable if it clashes whereas 200k is not. Am looking forward to it though and may carry on with the cycling and do a Duathlon at the end of the summer. Currently browsing the net for cycling shoes.

Hubby now going shopping with the kids - F has made a list of all things she wants to get Mum for birthday - bless her. Relaxing few hours in bed or housework???

• Options
    BED! Hope you haven't got up. Happy birthday Abs, have a glorious day image

Have to say that I was up at 7, though that is a whopping lie in, in our house as Charlie is normally up by 6.20 and Wickett has been getting up at 5.30, getting into work early and running from there. Once one person is moving around in the house I never really get back to sleep. Rather than lying in bed I've been sorting washing, ironing while catching up on tv viewing, watering the pots and baskets and am now sorting out the birthday thank you cards. It is incredible the number of things that you just don't have time to do when you are away or work is busy... or both! I feel my juggling has involved more dropping of balls than catching them of late.

We've made an executive decision on the holiday fiasco and will be going to Majorca in 3 weeks and smiling a lot. I am hoping my dreadful aunt doesn't feel it necessary to come over and visit, that might tip me over the edge!

I love that B is considering 100k on a newly repaired hernia. It might hurt a bit more than that...
  • Options
    Morning all. I am waiting to go into an interview. Or at least the presentation stage of one. The interview proper is this afternoon. I'm remarkably nervous.

However, today marks the end of the period of total chaos we've all been going through, so regardless of what happens today all will be easier afterwards. Or I'll be in a ditch, drinking gin from the bottle. One or the other.

Gladrags- are you still surviving bootcamp? Worried that it's killed you off!

Is the new house all sorted tatty?

Have we all got new challenges for the autumn?
  • Options

no autumn challenge but one for 2015, lol!

ooh this wine is good!

• Options

Hope you had a lovely birthday, Abs?

School sports day today.  And day 3 of me running every day.  Wonder how long I will manage to keep it up?  Reckon at the moment that 5k every day is much more easily achieveable than running less often for longer, especially given the temperatures.  I am such a wimp.

• Options

Was sports day rained back on??

To run in these temperatures at all is a good thing, no wimps here - sure that 5k every day does wonders for the fitness. I am not running every day but trying to do something. Mixing running cycling and pilates.  Do now have some goals - a 10k on 11th Sept and a half on 9th October - the half is in Peterborough, nice and flat i hearimage Will increase the running after the bike ride thingy. No hernia appt as yet - looking good that he will not be cycling during the recovery phase.

• Options

No - I wrote the post this morning, pre-run, but it only actively posted when I switched the laptop back on this afternoon.  Poor kids, they were gutted image

This morning's run felt a whole heap easier.  Wonder whether that is because its the 3rd day or just because it was cooler and less humid?  I certainly felt more able to push today.  Which is nice.

Any news from Gladrags?  I worry when people go quiet.

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

nope am still alive -  and no major dramas here. bootcamp finished last week and have the sumer off before doing another month.

came second in the Mums race at sports day!

and had horrific run this morning. was running back from tower bridge along the thames path when my stomach suddenly went completely liquid. miles from anywhere (or at leat from any public loos) and no phone on me. am not going to go into detail but  really really had one of the worst hours of my running career.... stomach now on the mend.

would lower my sights to my usual 3 miler round greenwich park tomorrow but it's closed off for some pre-olympic trial run thing with the horses. harumph. the residents consultation process never mentioned anything about closing the entire park for eweks on end the year before the olympics???

running every day? why? agree that 5k a day sounds v manageable but is that the reality? won't it start bringing all the niggles to the fore?

how did the interview go?

• Options

Well, I've got this niggly ankle thing and resting it has made no difference and it doesn't like me going much over 5k, so the only way to do any reasonable running is to do fewer miles, more frequently.  Plus its a bit of a nod to not working - everything has taken such a back seat to work in recent weeks that it is nice to find space in every day that is just for me.  I washed the kitchen & bathroom floors as a cool down today (last week was the end of the cleaner, until I know I have work for next term) and the house has to take priority a bit too, as it is a bomb site.  When busy I tend to stuff things in cupboards, rather than sorting it properly.  My cupboards are about to do that comedy explosion you see in cartoons!

Repeatedly closed park sounds a bit of a PITA.  Not surprised they kept that one quiet!

Blurgh to the stomach, there seems to be a lot of tummy bugs doing the rounds here. Not even a she-pee would help you with that one!

Congratulations on sports day.  No parents races at ours due to previous over-competitiveness.  Not sure whether I'm pleased or cross about it.  Its a pressure, when everyone knows you run!

Day 4 run complete.  I'll be missing Saturday due to the school summer fayre.  Then 6 more days till we go on holiday (and I stop running for a bit!)  Woo hoo!

• Options
    Hello! image it's currently wine o'clock in the bogle household. No hubby, and small boy is asleep. Aaah. Ben is in Bulgaria ATM on business stuff. That'll be a tidy house until Thursday, then. image

Hope you had a fab birthday, Abs! So impressed by your biking too - always like the idea of doing more, but then my quads complain a lot. But I suppose the answer is to do more and then they would get used to it!

Gladrags - hope the tummy is better. Not good! Poor jp has had a bit of a dodgy tummy today too, which meant three trips to the loo in Mass! Very embarrassing...

Wotsit - great running! I got into an every day routine last year and it was great. I should try it again really - I know what you mean about shorter distances but more frequent being more attainable. I felt really fit too. I haven't done much since the house move so need to sort that out. We are pretty much sorted now but still have a few grotholes where I have shifted the boxes that I don't quite know (I.e. Cba) what to do with! It will get sorted over the summer, no doubt. No big holiday for us due to the moving costs, so we are going for a 4 day break in Scotland, staying in Inverness. Should be fun!
  • Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

hello! image - Mum's op went well yesterday and determined woman that she is, she was sitting up in bed this morning when we arrived in intensive care. if she can carry on fighting like this - she'll be fine! am increasingly convinced that strength of character can be inherited!

great running wotsit - have you carried on? news of dodgy toes and dodgy hotdogs don't sound too good?

managed a 4 mile run after seeing mum today. ran round greenwich park and got very cross - park wupposed to have fully reopened by 12 july after trial horsey events before the olympics but.... vast chunks of the place are still closed to the public and they have yet to start dismantling the dressage stadium - so it'll be another week at least. who do i complain to? seb coe?

inverness? remember the midge repellent! (think we might manage 5 days staying with friends. friends do now live in the south of france though - so am imagining lots of lounging while the kids swim?!!)

• Options

Morning image

Delighted to hear it went well - have been thinking about you both.  Definately think that strength of character is passed on and suspect that in the face of illness a lot of women pull out a strength that they'd kept hidden before.  Funny that it isn''t seen as a very feminine characteristic when, if you think about it, the quiet strength you need to be a good mother and advocate for your family, never mind go through childbirth is pretty amazing.

Hope her recovery goes smoothly.  

How frustrating about the park!  Do you have Seb's email address?  image

I did 6m last night, which is the furthest for nearly a month.  I've also run as many miles in 2 weeks as in the whole of last month.  Think the sporadic runs were playing havoc with me.  I've got one aching patch down the side of my foot and unfortunately caught exactly that patch on something in the shed yesterday image  It feels all a bit odd this morning and I'm trying to decide whether to ditch the final run of my week in favour of last minute packing and sorting before we go away. 

Majorca for 2 weeks, from tomorrow.  Rain forecast for Monday! image

• Options

So glad it went well Gladrags - what amazing strength and courage.  Completely agree that women just seem to have that inner strength - i think Wotsits words say it all. Best wishes for her recovery though.

I thought i had Sebs email address but must have misplaced it - probably with Mick Jaggers somewhereimage Nah - you should give them what for though.

Majorca - how fab, have a superb time.

Hope you are still enjoying the peace Tatty - is it still wine o clock??

And as for running - grrrrr! i am soooo slow but having turned into a little porker that is not surprising.

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

2 weeks in majorca - brilliant - suspect w is sunning herself (or rather wining herself!) as i type... hope she keeps up the running every day lark? impressive stuff.

yup - remain disgruntled about greenwich park still being partially closed. although oddly the bits that the horses ran on are in better condition than the rest - think they were protected by matting and sand so are actually v green and springy now. odd.

planned to run home from chelsea after seeing mum on sunday. made it to big ben before the heavens opened. wow. was so wet in 10 seconds that there really wsa no point in stopping to shelter (as the thousands of tourists did...) - ran all the way along whitehall to trafalgar square with not another soul in sight. blissful - if rather soggy! trainers were like sponges, and did think that i needed goggles at that point, the rain was that heavy. oh well - another memorable (if rather abridged) run to chalk up to experinece - got the train home rather than run the last 7 miles!!

wonder if i dare chance it again tomorrow???

• Options
    Ola! Hardly running on holiday, mostly relaxing on beach and by the pool. Lack of running has made my achillies worse! Typical.

Kids loving being away. Having a day of net access to check emails etc, then radio silence resumes image. Sangria anyone?
  • Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

mmmmm sangria!

running has drawn to a halt here as i have sole charge of the children this week and mr g has not been getting home (from new job) until 9ish ..... so have signed up for early morning bootcamp starting next week.

anyone see all the articles on dean kanazes (sp??) - last week? v impressive. he reckons the first time he ran he just decided he was going to do 30 miles, left the bar he was in and went. and he did it..... think the quote that has stuck with me the most is that he sometimes runs until "every cell in his body hurts". makes me feel like a right prat for my CBA days!

• Options

I am home.  We had a lovely time.  I like going away at the start of the holidays as they are now stretching out in front of me, starting with a week of drama and football clubs for the kids and me having some much needed time to sort.  Hurrah!  Back to running every day and might even get finally to ParkRun at the weekend. I won't run till every cell in my body hurts.  That man is a bit mental.

Those new jobs are tricky things.  Wickett's new one is still proving challenging from a coordinating and balancing point of view.  

Hope everyone is well?

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

phew - not been on here for a bit!

tats - 2 month break in running? you're worse than me - i calculated i'veonly done 50 miles since my marathon - bringing my ytd total in at a measly 352..... in my defence there are a lot of bootcamps that count for zero miles.... have a half at the end of september so will try and build up to that.

but - there was some talk of an ultra? i could be persuaded. training starts in earnest when the kids gfo back to school.....

wotsit - agree that man is mental. do not sapire to hurting myself. intriguing that some people have the willpower to push themselves that hard though? when i think of some of my cba runs it seems really pathetic. what made me stop? why does he not have that problem? (and glad you had a good hol - my 2 both seem to have that adam ant white stripe on the nose - tihnk it's from scrunching face up in the sun??)

• Options
    Mental, but in a good way... I need to be stronger mentally. I find it too easy to listen to the little voice in my head telling me to stop!

Would be surprised if I have topped 50 miles since the mara. Will have to check! Not using fetch now but I have got Runkeeper for my phone. image in the process of building back up now. Maybe an autumn half???

Mmm, wine o'clock again!

• Options
    I'm approaching my 5th anniversary of running - Oct 1st. I kind of want to mark it, so am thinking autumn hm as I've left it too late to consider anything bigger or more mental... Wickett reckons I could go for sub 50 min 10k (PB is 53:20) but that sounds hard and horrid. From starting back at work on the 24th I'm definitely going to go back to Foodfocus in a bid to lose the last few lbs that have me slightly short of having list 4st since starting running. That would be a nice way to mark it too image

I'm running better since the weather cooled a little and today's run really confirmed how much the temp affects me. In the shade or with a breeze I was comfortable but if either disappeared and the sun hit me I just melted and almost ground to a halt.

Amazed and awed by 'normal' women doing outlaw a couple ov weeks ago. Blows my mind. I had a conversation about the whole inner voice thing with my uncle this week. He's always run and reckons with no training he could still go straight out and do 10m. He has to rationalise that he shouldn't because his knees would be trashed. I, on the other hand, always anticipate that it'll be hard and that I can't really do it and have to rationalise that actually I can and have done it. How do you change that ingrained mindset? It would be ever so useful.

Bedtime. No Wickett tonight, he's in London with work. O shall spread myself across the whole of the bed. Delicious!
  • Options

I'm having some problems locating a suitable spring ultra...  but we could always run our own?  The Worcestershire way is 33m, the Sandstone trail is 32m.  Actually, our friends locally have talked about doing the Worcestershire way again next year.  Perhaps we could organise a group trip?

Tatty - is the new house feeling like home now?

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

yes it's that inner voice thing. somehow i manage to quiet it while i'm marathon training but as soon as i finish the race (literally the next day) it's there again, telling me i can't do it. i have no idea how you ever sort that out really? i've been doing this for eleven years on and off and still have no idea!

spring ultra thing sounds good. a diy sounds.... interesting! mr g has not even managed to see me running the london marathon when we live a mile from the start - not sure he'd be up for ferrying drinks across the countryside! but who knows - maybe i can use my feminine wiles to persuade him!

did bootcamp this morning - legs are like jelly and back stiff. dorsal raises and lots of sprinting. not sure i should be doing that kind of thing at my age??

• Options

Independent ultra sounds like fun - which month are you thinking? I was thinking of an ultra after the marathon.

Have had a crazy weekend. Was my dads 60th so a weekend of celebrations. All surprises, he had a fabulous time so the hard work was well worth it. He had a heart attack at 35 and a triple heart bypass with several scares since then, so it felt like quite a milestone.

Am on hols this week and trying to get into a routine with exercise. Am trying to cycle each day in addition to my running (which is not each day!) as a way of building a bit more base fitness. Nothing pacey - just steady as you go riding.

Very impressed that the bootcamp is still going..determined ladyimage

• Options
    Ooh, a spring ultra. I could definitely be tempted. Worcestershire isn't too far for me so would be good. Big if, but if I get into VLM, it would be something I would prefer to do afterwards, like Abs says. It would be great to do it as a group image

Gladrags- I too admire your discipline! The nearest I get to bootcamp is when I run with the faster group at club and the group leader really pushes me (in a good way!). Speaking of which, I am going back to club tonight but will run with the slower group ( not actually that slow, paces range from 11 min miles right at the back to 9 min miles at the front). It may well hurt. Did 2 miles yesterday and the second mile split was 9.32. So proud of that.

Thanks, Wotsit, the house is really getting there now. The last few weeks have been spent sorting out the things I have been trying to ignore, like the mountain of paperwork in the study, shudder. Will keep putting pics on fb so you can see the progress!
  • Options

Oh what a naff run that was today - very little in the legs - 9 miles with 4 walk breaks! The heat was stifling, then heavy wind head on hit hard and then just as i finished a little rain came down which would have been welcomed an hour earlier! 9 miles at 10.14 ave pace which i was happy with just felt rubbish all the way round.

Have been doing more cycling which i do think is helping with fitness but maybe a rest day is needed.

I am looking at my options over the next year. The plan is a HM on 9th Oct and then maybe a bit of XC through the Winter as i go into marathon training. Am contemplating the Guts and Glory Adventure Race in November also. Have found an ultra in Norfolk of 100k next October??????

How was running club Tatty - i am thinking of a return on Monday - have not been since February!!

• Options
    Chickened out of club last night - tired.com. Not quite fit enough just yet either! I know I could do it, but it would take me about a week to recover properly and at this stage I just want to get back into a routine.

Last night I looked at ultra training plans image 100k, yeahhhh! The plans I was looking at were for 50 miles, which I have just figured out is 80k. Yikes!

Good running, Abs, those horrid runs always make you stronger even though they feel carp at the time.
  • Options

Am feeling very up for doing the ultra - hopefully if i carry on after the Spring marathon I will be in a position to do it in the Autumn. I am not so sure about a Spring ultra considering how hot the marathon was - dont think could run any longer in that heat - October sounds like a plan for me.

The cycling has been coming along - my bike shoes arrived today, though I have sent them back for a bigger size. Purchased with Brians free £50.00 Wiggle voucher. He keeps winning things - is having a very lucky streak. 

Did a 3 x 1m interval session this morning. 8.36 8 44 and 8 55 - clearly the first was too quick or i just got lazy. Was still happy with that as have not done any speed work for ages.

• Options

Morning all image

Great intervals Abs.  I reckon in 2 weeks you'll have that perked right back up.  I think it takes a little while of pushing the pace to get your sharpness back and not least to remember how much it hurts and that you just have to suck it up!  Dodgy long runs a bit par for the course round here at the moment too.  Wickett is finding the humidity very hard on his long runs - making him feel tired from the off.

The thing about an ultra, for me, is the difference in mindset.  Its not about speed, just endurance, so if you are hot you slow down, or walk.  Plus lots of the courses are off road, which means a greater chance of being more shaded.  Running on hot tarmac is a killer at the moment - I hate it when you can feel the heat radiating off every surface.

Lucky Brian - well, lucky you I guess!  

Gladrags - at your age?  Piffle.  I keep looking at residential bootcamps, but its ever so hard to justify £1000 for a week when I know I could do it myself, if only I had the time to do it in... suspect that next year's timetable is going to make that an even greater challenge.

Cinema for us today, then swimming lessons.  I'm really enjoying flopping about with the kids and doing things like making new pictures for the kitchen walls.  I could do with another 2 weeks really image  Boo to having to go back to work in August!

• Options

I see your theory with the ultra in warmer weather - i guess as there would be no time goal other than to finish, walk breaks would be the norm anyway so weather should not have such an impact as when your heart rate is storming.

Yesterdays run was pretty good, went for a steady 5miles but seemed to fall into a naturally progressive pace. The last 3 miles were between 9 10 and 9 20 and felt reall comfortable - strange! Maybe the extra core and leg strength work i am attempting is paying off.

The Summer hols are flying by arent they, F is loking forward to going back to school as she goes into Juniors. Was quite funny buying school shoes - flowers and butterflies were a big no no apparently as she is with the big girls now .....noooo where has my baby goneimage