Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: Wotsit (sub-4:30)

Comments

• Options

Nope i dont do ther piping - plop and swirl is my motto.

My knees have been a pain in the butt for 2 days, think IT band is probably the issue and is pulling so must do some stretches etc however i did run this morning and felt fine when i run - problem is when i dont. Anyway i was sooooooo happy at running 5.6miles at 9.20 pace. It was a little harder than steady - i felt i could have maintained it for a few more miles so maybe once my endurance picks back up i will not be as far from sub 2 as i think. Did a 9.49, 9.21, 9.15, 8.59, 9.13 and then 9.20ish for the last half or so. I set out meaning to go slow and easy but fall into a pace. Bri thinks it is because i have no goal so no pressure and i am just running as i feel instead of sticking to a pace to avoid injury....who knows.

House is so quiet waiting for I and F to return, J has been to a theme park today and is sleeping over at his mates. A few less arguments this evening then! J and I are bickering over everything at the moment, a break from each other should do them good! I hope!

• Options

My hip is like that - no problem when running, killer afterwards.  I've flared up the tweak in my ankle again, no problem really running but sore afterwards.  I must stretch!

I think there is a lot to be said for running with no purpose sometimes, especially on the back of a tough marathon training set.  You've got to get the love back.  I can't believe you're very far from sub 2.  You just need to choose the right race.   Have you chosen a race?

• Options
    <emerging from a cloud of dust, Miss Havisham style>

Hello! It has been far too long since I have popped on here. No excuses! Have seriously fallen off the running wagon of late, having done nothing at all for about 10 days, and then having done very little since my mini comeback week after the marathon. Oops. I think I ran more miles in three days at peak marathon training than I did in the whole of May! Oh well, I am getting back to it now... Have to say, you're all giving me lots of motivation, with talk of half marathons and 10 milers. I am meant to be doing a ten miler on July 17th, which is my club race. Trentham 10, if anyone fancies it? It's quite hilly but a pretty course.

Of course, I am trying to convince myself that 6 weeks of doing hardly anything will benefit my body, right? image

Have been thinking of you, Gladrags. Definitel vent on here, don't blame you for that at all. X

Cakes sound yummy, but the cake pops could be fiddly! Have you seen those cupcake makers in Lakeland? Lazy mummy's dream (that'll be me, then!). It looks like a sandwich toaster, but it's for cupcakes! image
  • Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

just back from 3 very lovely days in the new forest. decided to treat ourselves and stayed in hotel with outdoor pool - did manage to show the children some of the sights but we all really enjoyed the swimming as much as anything else. if only all outdoor pools were as warm as that! image

did take running stuff with me but somehow we consumed quite a lot of wine image so never made it out for those early morning runs. oh well - boot camp starts on monday. 10 lb Abs? oh yes - that and the rest - time has come for action!

baking afternoon was great fun - kids liked the bread so  much they ate the whole thing with no butter! so am off to get some more ingredients to repeat the  whole thing.

rinteresting on the twinges front - my right knee has been very stiff recently - and worse in the morning and when going down stairs - but absolutely no problem when running. old age??

• Options

Sounds like what you all needed Gladrags - noce to hear you had a great time. Outdoor swimming is fab and a warm pool all the better. Hope ice cream was included. 

10lb is about right though would be very happy with about 6 at the moment. On Monday i am starting with you and I will check in each Monday - doing with others always makes it easier. Have had a terrible few days - meal last night, very creamy pasta with friends and cheesecake. Faith and I went in town this morning - shakeaway again - dime bar with peanut butter and maple syrup. So so lushious. F had a 'George' which is Reeses choc cups extra choc and whipped cream.  That will be my last for quite a while. She burns it off - i dont!!

Running is still ok - did 4 x 5mins the other day - they were quite hard intervals though ranging from 8 09 to 8 42. No consistency. I am quicker when i pick up pace gradually i think.

No Olympic tickets for me it seems. Am gutted - would have loved to see the triathlon.

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

aim for 10lb but accept 6. yup. cool. have had waaaay too many calories this week - so bootcamp and grilled chicken will be the order of the day for the next 4 weeks!!

checked bank account on 31 may and had had no olympic cash taken - but just checked again and there is £199 with the narrative "London-tickets" against it. woohoo! daft thing is i now have to wait for them to email me to tell me exactly what it is that i've bought. am really hoping that we got one of the athletics heats days..... anyone else get lucky?

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

sorry abs - just read the tail end of your message. feel like a right show off now image 

£199 is an odd amount.... worst case scenario is that we just got the 2 pairs of footie tickets we applied for -  i have no interest at all in slogging up to wembley to see some under 21 teams playing.....

• Options

There is still a second chance thingy for tickets though?  You never know your luck.  I've applied for triathlon tickets too, haven't seen any money movement, but they're not finished taking money out till the 10th.

Urgh - I'm eating so much junk at the in-laws' house this weekend, I feel vile.  Next week = back to healthy eating just to feel clean again.  Plus I've got a big family party on the 19th and want to wear my new slinky dress.  I reckon it might not look so hot with a cake gut poking out.

I can recommend peach iced tea from costa as a less calorific alternative to shakeaway?  

Where did you stay Gladrags?  We've been looking at the new forest for a break because of all the cycle routes.   I'm currently browsing for somewhere for Wickett and I to have a break, just us, in the summer.  Maybe lake district?  I want to go to a nice hotel, with a pool, do some running and swimming and some shopping and eating image

Tatty - hope running club was OK?  I've seen those cupcake makers, but tbh I find cupcakes ever so easy, especially now I've sussed making them in a food processor.  Now I throw everything in together, then scoop into cases, throw into oven and voila!   What I really want is a KitchenAid mixer, but funnily enough the man with the purse strings thinks £350 is a bit steep...

Off running in the forest tomorrow morning.  Wickett is running there (10m ish) so hopefully will be too knackered to make me run up the massive great hill at the start.  Fingers crossed!

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

we stayed at the balmer lawn nr brockenhurst - was v nice and think would work for couples as well as families. we're definitely hiring bikes next time - looks great and so many nice little pubs for lunch!

i should have kept a record of what tickets i'd applied for and then id have a chance of working out what i've got.... i definitely had 2 or 3 sessions of athletics heats, a football heat, the marathon final in the mall and some of the equestran stuff in greenwich park (just because it's so close) ....

• Options

I will go down and watch the triathlon and marathon anyway- just wont get into the good bits so if you dont get the marathon Gladrags maybe we can hook up to jump about on the course spectating.

I want a Kitchenaid too - probably could convince Bri as he thinks they are quite good. I have a Bamix hand blender which is really good too. My fave hand mixer though is a £5.00 one picked up once as an emergency from Tesco - it has served me so well. I went to a pampered chef party and the woman was trying to sell me a garlic peeler, i told her i had a good one and she tried to argue that mine could not possibly remove skin as only pampered chef ones do - um i think it does love! Great way to get someone to not buy from you eh!

8 miles done this morning - it was tiring, i felt lardy, could feel my belly bobbling and felt v v unfit - more so because the hill was such hard work. Hill training no doubt required - might introduce repeats.

We are looking for somewhere for September - am trying to book the Cley Windmill in Norfolk - have heard it is very nice. Windmill converted into guest rooms.

Diet definitely starts now- i will reboot Food Focus later too.

• Options

No money out of my account yet... image  Looks like I shall be down watching the triathlon from the streets.  Oooh - I sense a party coming on!

I've got a killer beer gut this morning - wtf did that come from?  I blame my father-in-law's cooking.  Too much cake consumed this weekend.

Talking of going away in term-time, I got my bad Mother form back from school - have applied for authorised absence for the last week of term so we can go to my cousin's house in Majorca and it has been declined!  So I've told them that my children will be ill that week.  Apparantly OFSTED have told them that they can no longer authorise absence for holidays.  What guff.

How is day 1 of the diet?

• Options

I had this with J when he went to Barbados - had to jump through hoops to get the last 2 days of term off. It was authorised on the grounds of being an exceptional circumstance in that he was meeting family that he will never again meet as a child. They went with that anyway.

Day 1 of diet has been better than last few days but not as good as i need to be. Will not be defeated though and get a bit stricter each day - just 2 miniature heroes tomorrow instead of 4!!

• Options
    and yes to a London street party where we can make right nuisances of ourselves due to insult at not getting tickets.
  • Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

am def up for watching the marathon in some form - you could all come and stay image

day 1 of diet was fine - am not logging stuff as I get a bit too OCD about it if I start that, so more free form.... basically trying to be very good for the 4 weeks that this boot camp lasts on the basis that i have paid out for this so need to put some effort in!

Am aching like billy-o today. more than after any of my marathons. literally all over. am unable to do anything half heartedly so was there doing all the lunges, squats and press ups with great gusto. must learn to tone it down. tempting to arrive late tomrrow as well to miss some of the awful warm up image

and ignore the school on the absence thingy - the world has gone mad, what will they miss in a single week???

• Options
    Wotsit, that is mad. They won't miss anything worthwhile! In the last week of term I will be mostly pressing play!!

Can join you all on the being good front. HAve been back at s world for about a month now and I am down 5lbs. I am now at the stage where the losses get smaller, but I will persist. I don't mind if I only lose half a pound a week now, I will still get back to where I want to be eventually!

Not sure what I was thinking when I agreed to it, but... I am doing a HM on Sunday! A good friend of mine hs had to drop out so I had his number for free. It would have been rude not to. So, I go in with zero target and zero expectations, apart from to get round, and I am looking forward to it. It is a notoriously hilly course. - def no PB potential, but it is good fun image so this week has involved quite a bit of las minute panic training. Now I am of course tapering image did 6 at club tonight in 57, so not too shabby. And two of the mile splits started with 8 image

• Options
    Oh Gladrags - that was a dangerous suggestion.  How big is your house? image
  • Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

house could be rearranged to house a few guests!! image

well done tatty - sounds like great running - enjoy the half on sunday. think my best races (the ones i've enjoyed the most and coincidentally the ones where i generally do better) are the ones where i go in with no expectation.

am off to the 3rd bootcamp of the week - this is the one with the timed run. gah! nervous already.

then tomorrow am having coffee (and likely cake) with a friend who lives 7 miles away. am just mulling over whether i could run there and back...... guess will see whether i can still walk after bootcamp first?!?

• Options
    Party at Gladrags' - woo hoo!  Sounds better than silly tickets anyway.
  • Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

1m50s! that's only 9 seonds off my pb for the loop - and both times previously, i've shaved at least 10 second off my time..... so don't feel quite so bad about being so stiff and sore this week now- there's obviously some life left in the old dog yet!!

am currently in the kitchen while three 6 year old boys rampage through the house. BIG note to self. 2 is manageable, but 3 is really chancing it. only 10 minutes until pick up time - please let them all make it through unscathed (well - at least the ones i have to return!!!)

party here - cool! apparently there are some warm up equestrian events in greenwich park this summer - might try and get tickets to get kids in the mood.....

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

had coffee with a friend. she put in for £12k of olympic tickets image  - she seemed quite definite they would have been ok to spend that much, but then her other half is a banker. They got £3k worth and she reckons that includes the closing ceremony. oh well - how the other half live eh?

did a 3 mile CBA type run this morning - but that's ok. was going to skive off and not go out at all so a run of any sort is better than no run at all?

best of luck for sunday tatty - whats the weather forecast?

• Options

£12k?  How nice.  I have to admit that I'd rather see the closing ceremony on the tv... I suspect that a number of things are actually going to be more compelling on the tv, but it'd be amazing to actually see 'proper' athletes in action.  No money from my account image

Yes, defiunately any run is better than none.  I'm right on that track at the moment.  I feel fat as butter after the marathon birthday session we've had over the last fortnight.  Too.  Much.  Cake.

Well done on the race tatty.  You must be supremely fit to run a HM after time off.   Hope you feel suitably pleased with yourself?  Want some cake? image

Gladrags - I had 8 7 year old girls round yesterday.  I can confirm that they are shrill in large numbers. image

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

am with you on the £12k imageimage reaction wotsit. Sooo tricky though - had  i known i would only get  10% of what i applied for then i would have been more ambitious, but  there you go... looks like lots of friends round here have about £100-£200 of tickets. interestingly no one else had even applied for atheletics tickets. that IS the olympics for me.....

tatty - how did it go- can';t see anything on facebook? i have spent a very happy day with friends eating thai food and drinking wine. nice. suspect bootcamp will REALLY hurt tomorrow!

girls shrill - yup - but the boys kept hurting each other. had to police them closely. one of each might not be so bad??

off for catch up with lawyer tomorrow - need to decide whether to fight this redundancy one step further or to let it drop. i know what's right but i also know what i can afford. (and it's not £12k). sleep tight.image

• Options
    Gladrags - that is strange, I did put my result up. Well...the time was slow as predicted but I had fun image did 2.26 but did deliberately plod it. The course is very hilly and not scenic at all, taking you through some of the most deprived areas of the country outside London. So, why do it? Well, the crowd support is amazing. Despite the horrific weather, people were still out lining the streets. And the wine gum I was given at mile six didn't half hit the spot! Funnily enough, I didn't really notice the mile markers until about mile 8 because I was struggling to see through the rain! The wind was really cold too. At points I felt like I was running with no clothes on!!!

But the hot shower and two cups of tea I had when I got home was lovely image

Gladrags, hope you got some good advice on the redundancy x

Feeling a bit blah ATM. Have so much to do with moving house, but cannot seem to galvanise myself into action. Moving day is Friday, so I am sure it will get done by then!
  • Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

gosh tatty - so much in that last post! well done on the half - i think a good plod can be good for the soul - and agree entirely on the crowd support and post race shower comments! moving house as well??? image - rather you than me - are you all packed up yet?

mr g again on at me not to post job related stuff on here..... don't think he is quite aware of the exclusive nature of our little thread! but anyway - decision made - am taking this further as independent advice still assuring me that they did not follow due process. we'll see......

in the mean time, i do think i need a race to aim for - might look for some local 10ks over the summer....

• Options
    Well done Tatty - hills and horrific weather, you are a glutton for punishment. Is a nice feeling to be in a race situation but without the pressure. Hope you get organised on the house move - rather you than me for sure!

V exclusive Gladrags, he can be assured we keep schtum - well done for pursuing, you should make a stand - you deserve better.

I ran this morning for the first time in a while 5 miles - pace dropped off and was quite an effort. Sign i need to refrain from the cakes a little more than i have been!

Hope the birthdays all went well Wotsit, loved the cakes. I have one down- was bad enough when J became a teenager last year; now he is 14 and sat first exam this week - i feel very old!

Hope you had a great birthday Tatty.
  • Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

birthday season on here! hope they all went well, and assume that tatty's celebrations involved less dressing up than k and c's?! image

running seems to be ticking along for everyone? i've been bootcamping so am exhausted. might try a run tomorrow just to see if my legs can manage it - but we spent a lot of time doing sprints/squats and lunges today so there is a risk that when i try to run i just collapse in a heap.....

diet went well last week - not so much this week. being at home with a poorly child who won't eat is not good on lots of levels - not least that i end up eating all the snacks she rejects......

• Options

Party season over here, last remenants of Wickett's birthday left.  I am shattered.  I've been away in Newcastle at a family party over the weekend, then at a course in York for 2 days, now home but tomorrow off to wolverhampton tomroow morning for a meeting.  I'm actually working full time this week and realising how very hard that really is.

The in-laws are here too, managing the house in my absence.  

How is bootcamping?

Went out for a run with my uncle and my sister at the weekend, which was fun, if a challenge.  he's a PE teacher and he tried to teach me to do a proper fell running thing, with long arms and high knees.   I looked like a thunderbird puppet.  Might not keep that one going round the roads at home.

Being away has not done wonders for my diet and for the rest of the week I shall mostly be eating gruel.

Happy new home Tatty.  Hope you're settling in well/.

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

in laws managing the house? hope they do a better job than mine. it would have been better to leave mr g in charge by himself - and that';s saying something....

bootcamping going well - and by that i mean that i ache all the time so it must be doing something? odd thing is that i didn't ache at all last year - so either i was much fitter going into it or am just much older/fatter this year - or a combination of all 3? image

ooh yes tatty - hope new house going well? feel like home yet?

olympics tickets are a family ticket to one of the less interesting athletics qualifying days (but at least we get to see the stadium?) and a family ticket for show jumping - which am quite pleased about as it's about a mile from the house so we will be able to WALK to the olympics!! apparently there are 2.3 million tickets left and 1.7 million of those are for football. I must be the only person in the country to apply for football in the ballot and not get anything???

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

anyone join the scramble for olympic tickets this morning? my sis didn't get any in the first round so has applied for some basketball tickets so that she and i can take the kids.... v odd as it's supposed to be first come first served but we don't find out til tomorrow whether she has them or not?

am bunged up with cold here - missed yesterday's bootcamp and really don't feel up to gymming/running today. have a skip on the drive way and filling that with all our accumulated rubbish is all i can manage!

• Options

I did not bother - i thought i would rather go and watch the road events that i enjoy than book something i am not fussed about for the sake of it.

Am very glad the week is over - am shattered, way too many long days this week. Tomorrow will be a housework day then Sunday a day trip with the family. Fingers crossed the weather holds out.

Running ok - doing 3-6 mile runs atm = nothing too long or fast, just steady as you go stuff. Need to get cycl;ing again as doing the East Anglia Tour de Britain stage next month.

Hope you are settled in Tatty.