Options

how to improve?

Comments

• Options

Hi All,

Have you noticed Rachel no matter what direction you run in the wind is always against you,sounds as though you had a good run I always feel refreshed after such a run.

B&T have you looked at the HM schedules with just 3 runs per week may be better for you.Remember easy run tomorrow if you are going out.What time is your race on Fri. I hope the weather is kind to you.

A tea party and dinner out on the same day Lisa,plus a run what a hectic life you lead

jimma image

• Options

it's true! I was running out past the beach thinking "at least when I go around the bend the wind will be behind me" ...... nope! still head on?? It comes under the law of sod I think! x

I still enjoyed it, especially as it was cooler.

Working a 14 hour shift tomorrow so I don't think I will be able to fit in a run but I have thursday off again - lovely x

• Options

Hi there all

Up all night in pain with my hip. went on a run but had to abondon it 3k in as was in to much pain. My friends drove me to the chiropractor to make an appointment so have one on friday. Am totally fed up now and do not want to hear stop running. Had the birthday party and been out for an indian, had 3 glasses of wine so feel kind of mellow lol not quite as anxious as before

Speak soon

Lisa

• Options

Hi Lisa,

Sorry to hear about your hip. Rest it as much as you can (not easy, I know), and fingers crossed the chiropractor can work some magic for you. Hope you enjoyed the indian, and the medicinal wine.

Rachel - glad the wind didn't put you off - at least its not as hot, eh?

Jimma - will look for schedule with just 3 days a week, but I was thinking I owuld just drop one of the easy runs from the other schedule? I'm popping out for a little plod around a different block today, nice and easy, just to see if I can remember how to run!

Funnily enough, I haven't been out since Friday, and yesterday did quite a bit of walking in my old, totally non-supportive trainers (first time I've worn anything other than running shoes or Birkenstocks for weeks!). Last night and today my knee is twinging like nobody's business. Do you think your body gets used to being 'supported', and then complains when it isn't??? Will do some 'Runners Knee' exercises later to try and help. 

• Options

Hi there

Had some advice from a physio today who reckons the chiro p will not be the best person to treat me and to slow down the training for a bit but saying that my hip is much better tonight so if I dont feel it all night will run my lsr as planned then no more running until my 5k on tuesday good plan??????????????

B & T are you excited now you must let us know as soon as you can

Love Me

• Options

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your hip Lisa,if you run tomorrow it must be gentle and only a short distance dont take any chances to make it worse.I do know what its like to be out injured I get so fustrated.

Rachel I can understand why you run,working 14 hour shifts you need to unwind somehow.What have you planned for tomorrow.

Did you remember how to run on your plod round B&T GOOD LUCK for Friday

Remember:-

1) Its only natural to be nervous,dont let it spoil your run,enjoy.

2)Dont get too hung up on time,its your first 10k it will be a PB something to improve on in future.

3)Keep to your own pace especially at the start dont be encouraged to go off too fast.

jimma image

• Options
    boo hoo, just done 15.25 hours straight through and now tommorrow my only day off has been allocated to training!! boo and actual hoo, it's health and safety & risk assessment ALL day! good god how boring. I am going to try to fit in a run after training although we have force 9 gales (!!!!) forcast so I might just go to the gym! x
  • Options

Hi there Rachel

Havin been a manager of a care home in the independant sector its evident that they still havent heard of tthe eu working time directive lol

I would go to the gym in force 9

nite nite xx

• Options

Hi Guys,

Lisa - take it easy today - if you do a LSR make sure it is a SLOW one!! Good idea to rest it up then until Tuesday (cor - that came around quickly!),. Hope its okay today.

jimma -  managed a short plod yesterday - just 4k down a different route for a change! Unfortunately the back of my ankle is stiff again today - think it might be my achilles tendon - so I've got ice wrapped around it today and will look up suitable stretching exercises for future reference.Feeling really nervous now about tomorrow (eek!).

Gave myself a strict talking to whilst out running yesterday that I will *not* manage 10k in under 60 minutes, so if i aim for that I will be disappointed!! Must manage my expectations! Also thinking about the start, the circuit curves away from the start quite quickly, so even if I sprint off in a rush of starting nerves & over enthusiastic, I can easily slow downaway from the spectators. Can you tell I've been thinking about this just a little????

Rachel - that's really bad you have to go & do a whle days training. And H&S as well - maybe you can fit in a little nap???

Oh - back on therace again (sorry!)  - the friend i was supposed to be doing it with, hasn't actually done any training for it at all. She has been manically busy though, but is now talking about just running 2 of the 3 laps if she can even manage that. Looks like I'm on my own  then!

• Options

Hi,

I think its take it easy day for everyone.

Did you not tell H&S Rachel that it was not safe for you to come in after a 15 hour shift

Three words to say to you Lisa TAKE IT EASY.

Two words to say to you B&T CALM DOWN.

Have a good day

jimma image

• Options

Hi there

Didnt run, just had to rest it was in pain in the night aswell, anyway went for an hour long swim instead which was lovely, and I do feel like I have worked so think I might have another swim then run the 5K on tuesday

B & T if you do it in 1hr 15 its still fab so dont aim to high good luck

Love Lisa

• Options

Hi All,

I expect the swim did you far more good than a run Lisa,I hope you are back to full fitness for Tues.Are you still keeping your appointment tomorrow.

B&T you sound a bit like me giving yourself a talking to during a run,I find it helps lots and no one to disagree great.This time tomorrow I assume you will be on your way round the circuit.

Did you manage a run Rachel to clear your head of all that training stuff.I did a nice easy run along the canel,much cooler and so quite enjoyable.

jimma image

• Options

hi there jimma

cancelled tomorrow as the physio reckons that it wont really help, just resting it and takin brufen at the mo. typing this with one hand so excuse the lack of capitals. i am soooo frustrated already my friend ran the 10kk race route today which i really wanted to do, i hope i am back fully fit will cry if not. glad you had a nice run tho, how bout you rachel

love

lisa

x

• Options

Hi Lisa,

I hope the rest does you good,its back to the word be patient.By the way all my typing is done with one hand not very proficient but I get there in the end.

jimma image

• Options

Hi

Did have a cup of tea in my other hand lol

Lisa

• Options

Morning all.

Lisa - really feel for you. Give your hip plenty of rest this weekend, and then see how it feels on Tuesday. Fingers crossed it calms down quickly.

Rachel - did you survive your exciting(?) training day? Ad did you manage a run to clear your head afterwards?

jimma - more words of advice! Thank you image I am incredibly nervous, but at least today is now here and I have a list of things I need to do today so will hopefully take my mind off tonight. I always have a nice long chat with myself when running - time when out running is great for clearing the mind and allowing you to see things clearly. So I often come back with a prioritised list of things I *must* do - very helpful!

Was chatting to another Mum from the village who is running tonight. She has done a 10k before (but at least a year ago) and it sounds like she is similarly nervous!

Kids run (1 lap - 3k) is at 6pm - my daughter is doing that (but she reckons she'll just walk & talk with her friends). Son has dug his heels in and claims he will NOT run / walk (not sure why!) So him & hubby will be on hand to wave me off at 6.30pm. 'Good running' and 'start off slow!' vibes much appreciated for tonight!

• Options

Hee hee good luck B & T hope all goes well

Lisa

x

• Options

You must be about 20min. into your run now B&T,I hope all is going well let us know how you got on.

Lisa your turn next,Tues will soon come round.

How about you Rachel any more thoughts of a race for you.

My HM training is still going well.

jimma image

• Options

Evening Jimma

My hip is feeling much better today havent taken any painkillers so hope to be back on track for tuesday which is only a 5K the 10K is a bit later which I am already nervous about.

Cant wait to hear how B & T got on, Rachel where are you????

Gonna have a glass of wine now yummmm

Speak later

Lisa image

• Options

Evening all! How nice that you were thinking of me!

Well, there'sgood news and bad news about my race. Bad news is that I came in last. Good news is that I did it in 1hr 4 mins and 29 image

Must eat some pizza now, but will post some more later about it.

• Options

Okay. There were about 30 runners, all very friendly, mostly parents of kids from the school, but not all. When we set off, most of the field shot off incredibly fast, so along with a group of other mums that I know we consciously slowed down. However after 1 lap I realised even our slower rate was too fast for me. So I slowed down more and was now at the back. Actually this was fine, because I'm used to running on my own, and I just concentrated on running my own race.

Each time we went past the finish line, my kids lovingly cheered me on, with cries of 'come on Mum - you'e doing great ... even if you are last'!!

So, I might have been last, but apparently there were quite a few who dropped out after 2 laps. I achieved what I set out to do - I ran all the way, and I smashed my plan of aiming for 1 hr 10 / 1hr 15.

VERY pleased with myself.

Lisa - glad your hip is feeling better. jimma - glad your training is going well. Rachel - where are you??  Not still stuck in a room being trained????

• Options

WELL DONE B&T you completed a 10k you did not drop out and you did it in 64min very respectable for your first race you should be very proud.As you say you did what you set out to do well done again go and relax.

jimma imageimage

• Options
    Thanks jimma - I am relaxing now with a medicinal wine image (or 2)
  • Options

wow well one B & T 1hr 4min thats brill, oh my god I am a little woried now as in my world 1hr 4mins is good and all I hope for mine is that I run it all the way but I feel that I too will coome last as my friend was talking to the girl who ccme last last year and she did it in 1hr 7mins so not much hope for being in the first lot for me lol

Well done again, HM next when?????

Love meimage

• Options

Thanks Lisa.

I am totally amazed I ran it in that time. I kept checking my pace and thinking 'I'll never keep going at this rate!' I think the competition really did keep me going image

Just run your own race - its all you can do - and enjoy it. I did enjoy it, and after the realisation that I *was* last, and the runners in front didn't look like they were going to have to stop & walk, then I just enjoyed the run. I had my music, andjust kept going.

I was *so* nervous beforehand though - I actually missed the Power Ranger warm up (don't ask!) because I had to go & find the toilet! 

Don't know about a HM - timing is difficult - but will definitely do the village 10k in September - and have roped in some of the other mum runners from tonight as well.

Ah - just topped up my 'reward' - lovely - and even nicer when you feel you've earned it!

• Options

hello there, I an still alive!!! Training was so boring, I did something I have never done before.... fell asleep during the video!! Proper actual asleep!! Anyway it made no difference I passed the tests afterwards.

So the running, I have not managed yet!  Thursday - training then back to work, yesterday work from 8.00am till 10.45pm! I went out for a drink with friends straight after work, two glasses of wine later I was in bed with a bucket as I felt SO SO drunk I was spinning!! Two glasses of wine - how hopless is that!?? Anyway someone with very high, very old (the heal was like a nail) shoes on stood on my foot which was bleeding and is now black and blue, it is too sore to put shoes on and very sore to walk on! Bugger, it was my good foot as well, the other has arthritis and has just recovered from blood poisoning!!

Tonight I shall be staying safely indoors!! x

• Options

bloody hell lol

gonna drink loads of wine tonight cause feeling miserable as I need to run and my hip is still picky

cant wait until tuesday

we are going up to swansea lunch time and havin lunch (of course), then going to the running shop for me to get new shoes (this could be the key to my healing), then run our race

Happy days

Love Lisa

xx

• Options

Rachel - ouch ouch ouch!!!! Safely indoors, with no wine and the telly - do you think you'll be safe there?

BTW - I was joking when I suggested having a little nap in your training - well done for passing the tests anyway!

jimma - remembered something about the race yesterday which I thought you'd ike to hear. We were all mums & dads (or certainly around that age), plus one Grandad, who looked to be in his 60s. Well - guess who lapped me when I was on my 2nd lap? And guess who was the ultimate winne, with a time of around 43 mins? (can't remeber exactly) So hooray for older runners I say!He was a really nice chap as well - very inspiring!

oooh - I'm paying for not stretching properly after the race though (I was too busy talking image) rather stiff & sore today. Lesson learnt!

Double oh - Don't worry about being last - apparently after the winner, I got the biggest cheer!

• Options

Hi everyone,

Not so good news about your black and blue foot Rachel,how long do you think before you can run again.As for the wine only 2 glasses(you are not supposed to drink it by the pint) only joking,you just need more practise,enjoy your night in.

Lisa enjoy the shoping I hope the new trainers make all the difference,when did you last have a new pair.Remember you have a 10k in 2 weeks so dont go too mad on Tues.Maybe you will be drinking the wine by the pint tonight by the sound of things,remember what its like in the morning.

B&T lapped by a 60 year old,experience does count for something.I think even if you did stretch after the race you would still have been a bit stiff today after all that effort you put in.Did any of your kids run/walk or were they too busy cheering you on.

jimma image

• Options

Lisa - managed to cross post with you again! Tuesday sounds fun - hopefully new shoes will do the trick (worth a try, eh?!)

jimma - my daughter did the 1 lap 3k run which set off before our race. She walked & talked her way round with her mate, so I think she basically came last (like mother like daughter!). Son flatly refused to enter, I think its because he came last in his races on sports day. So he cheered me off, and I hope he learnt from me that its okay to come last!