Options

The Long Green Tape Measure......

Comments

• Options

image (that's for the England rugby)

Royal Parks Half tomorrow.  I still need to find a 'throw away' top.  and  probably a cape!  Hope it's nice after the run as they have Brakes Food Festival on site too - yum image

• Options

Hi all

My weigh in was diasater 1kg up 1st time since I started the diet a year ago just hoping it was change in the routine and will slide bak off this week hehe. 

Just done a 13k and in an ok time 1.12 which is good for me I am not a gr8 runner.

Anyone got any good tips on hill running I really do hate hills!  They really do act as barrier for me and I am sure mind ova matter.

Hope you all enjoyed rugby

Tina

• Options

Tina - I know what you mean about hills image.  I don't tend to train on them so I struggle.  One thing that helped a lot the year before last was doing some speed work - Fartlek style.  I ran as fast as I could for as long as I could and then walked to recover, then repeated it.  i was amazed at the difference it made on hills!  They felt every bit as hard as before, until I realised that I was actually doing them loads quicker and without needing to walk (so soon image).  So, even if you haven't got a hill to train on, perhaps this would help.

Royal Parks Half was great.  Mild and far too still whilst running the lovely streets of London, but getting back into the parks was refreshing and the crowds hugely supportive, specially in Hyde Park.  I had the breeze on my face, the crowd shouting and banging those inflatable stick things, and Zadok the Priest in my ear - perfect image.  It was a great run and I thought at first I had a PB, til I realised I had done better in 2009.  Mixed feelings about that as I was on a high til I realised imageimage.   oh, finished in 2:25:38 - which is still this year's PB. I did 2:23:59 in 2009 . . . a challenge for the future i guess . . .   (of course, I'm now in a different age group so really that means I've done better, doesn't it? image )

• Options

Congratulations RLTW - good running there.  Tina I hate hills too.

Played in the veterans cup (over 35s) hockey today and played yesterday as well so am a bit pooped now.  Just eaten a roast dinner so that has helped the recovery a bit.  We won today and go through to the second roundimage.  There was a really big crowd watching today - I agree with you RLTW it makes such a difference when you have good support.

Managed to watch some of the front runners in the Chester Marathon this morning before the hockey - the course goes past the end of my road.

• Options
    Nice one Deva.  When do you play again?  Crazy calling people veterans at 35+ image. There must be a nicer way of putting ' mature and experienced'.
  • Options
    RLTW - I wondered if you were down in London today! I got down here and saw loads of people with leaf shaped medals, and suddenly realised that if I'd pulled my finger out when I got this date for Charing Cross, we would have come down last night to do the race today! image

Well done on your time anyway - still a great effort so soon after GNR! image

Evening all, can't stay on here too long as am using a pay as you go dongle. I have a better room this time - it's twice the size of the other one, and I have a view of Wembley Stadium outside my room image
  • Options
    Morning another 2lbs offimage
  • Options
  • Options
    Dd- well done on the hockey!!!

Rltw - is the royal parks half as beautiful as they say it is?

Birkmyre- really good work! Another two Pounds off!!!

Vixx - glad you got a better hotel room this time (0:
  • Options
    Lfc - Well Done on your marathon!!!! I saw your Facebook, I didn't know it was your first. You must be so proud of yourself.
    Can we have a race report please!
    P.s how are you feeling today?
  • Options
    LFC!!!!! I didn't realise you were still doing it! I'd got it into my head you weren't. Am so sorry! How did you get on???

Morning all image

WELL DONE BIRKMYRE!!!! Great result image
  • Options
    Tina - I'm a relative newbie but have learnt to love hills. I live at the top of huge hill (think 1 mile long road up 1 in 5 hill!!) so every run I do ends with that hill. If you make hills part of every run you do then when you do a "hilly" race, it isn't as bad. Did GNR this year for 1st time and had been warned by everyone that it was hilly. Only hill I noticed was the downhill near the end.
    Having said all that, if you live somewhere v flat then that's not going to be possible!
  • Options

Tina - my friend who does ironman told me very recntly that you must learn to love hills (ala Fran). She said there is nothing quite as satisfactory as overtaking and beating an opponent on a big incline!

I have four brutal, long, crazy steep hills near me and i either include them on my runs or do 20 minute hill repeats on them, if i am short of time.

My running coach has said to me try not to lean into the hill, take short steps, get right on the balls of your feet and look up! I do that when i am tackling the really fierce ones. and trust me there is many a day when i have to power walk up them, which is all good as my heart up rate is still right up!

If you dont have hills i would recommend hillwork on the treadmill and dont mess about with the incline, ramp it up and feel the burn!!!

also try and do step ups with dumbells. one of my freinds runs up stairs of her local huge carpark as she lives in a flat area and doesnt have gym membership!!! 

• Options

Morning all

Birkmyre - well done on the 2lb loss.

RLTW - Great running in the Royal Parks, you're really racking up the miles and getting some good times. image

DD  - well done with you're hocky. image

Vixx - Enjoy London and hope everything goes well.

Oii - I can honestly say I'm feeling knackered.
    After a lot of 'I'm not doing the marathon because I haven't had the training' and 'I'm going to do it as it's my first and I can always drop out if I'm in trouble', I finally made my mind up and went for it.

I got there in good time and there was a great atmosphere in the park. We got in our pens and were waiting for the off but then found out there was some problem with the police shutting off some streets so the start was delayed. We finally set off three quarteres of an hour late.

I ended up running with a girl from my running club and we agreed to help each other through the race. She was doing a 100 mile challenge with the marathon being the last part of it. We started out at a steady pace with the sun shining round the park feeling comfortable and enjoying the experience. After a few miles though, she started to have trouble with her breathing, nothing serious but enough to make running a lot harder.

I asked if she was OK to carry on and she insisted she wanted to do the whole race but for me to go on as she was having to walk and she knew that she would have to walk quite a bit. I told her that we started together, so we would finish together. We did run, walk for the first half which was on the Wirral side of the Mersey and got to the tunnel about 2 hours 45.

Going through the tunnel was intesting as part of a marathon and the downhill was very welcome. When we got the the other side, the Liverpool crowds did us proud and gave us a real boost. We ran through the streets that brought us out to the main street by the Liver Buildings where the eventual finish was. The crowds where out in force at this point and they where not only cheering the finishers, but they where encouraging us who still had 12 miles still to do.

Jo started to suffer more now but was still adament that she wanted to finish. We had to walk a lot more from now on, but we never stopped. We kept each other going, giving ourselves targets to for and keeping upbeat. We counted off the miles, slowley, until mile 25. We got round that final corner, really surprised to see that people where still there cheering the last runners on. We ran in the last half mile with the sounds of cheering and encouragement and finally crossed the line in 6hours 20minutes (watch time, I've still got to look at the official result).

It was a great experience and  really happy to have done it.

• Options

Wow, what a sucessful weekend on here,

Congratulations to RLTW on the Royal Parks, to DD for the hockey and to lfc for the marathon.

What are everyone's plans this week?

• Options

Massive congratulations LFC - fantastic achievement. 

I know people who have run both the Liverpool and the Chester Marathons this weekend and everyone has done really well.  It is really inspiring.  I will definitely do a marathon one day.  image

• Options
    lfc - you are my hero for staying with your running club partner!!! that is so so good of you.
    i am really glad you did it, do you feel like you want to do another one?

angel, running club monday, bike ride tuesday, run wednesday, circuits thursday, run friday morning. off to devon to see a friend for the weekend. what are your plans?
  • Options

Oii - Surprisingly, yes, I want to another and I've now got a PB to beat.

Angel - my plan for the week - recover.

DD - You will have to try a marathon one day, it's hard but very rewarding.

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭

hoi lfc how are the legs today?  You stayed with someone as well, top man I have done that and I know what it entails. 

plan for the week

monday swim

tues club session

weds run am

thurs cycle maybe

friday rest

sat  xctry race

sunday run

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭

lfc, great report and once again, huge well done! My first marathon took exactly the same!

tina, I used to hate hills, only way to conquer them is to do hill sessions, once I have managed t o get up any particular hill I never let myself walk it again and intime you can just do them!  I am very slow but I have learnt to 'love' them if thats the right word!

Birkmyre, well done on the 2lbs!!

Bad weekend pretty sure I have put on weight, not  happy about it, had a totally rubbish run as well and wanted to cry at the end.  I just suddenly stopped and thought s*d it! 

• Options
    wabo - i have runs like that, if they could give me a tablet that helps me concentrate and fight off stupid thoughts when i struggle on runs that would be great.

lfc - after berlin i had SO many early nights and massively tired days. my first run is tonight, that is 15 days after my marathon! the bf was a bit blabla i cant believe you are still tired. which i totally ignored. i slept loads and ate loads and watched tv loads and am feeling LOADS better today.

I would like to add here that i have recently purchased a road bike as i want to take part in triathlons as i am bored of being injured and want to make myself stronger.

I did two longish bike rides sat & sun and my hip flexors are aching and my bottom on the outside sort of gluteus minimus/piriformis area are really sore too.

Which is making me happy as it means that two parts of me that were really weak are going to get stronger from the bike riding!
  • Options

Wabo - we all have runs like that, it just means a bad one is out of the way and you have the good runs ahead.

Oii - I can't believe the way I keep wanting to sleep. It's not what I expected but it feels fantastic aswell. Good luck on your run tonight.

Now all I have to do is start shedding some of this weight.

• Options
    Evening all image

Am just watching BBC3 and catching up. I have Charing Cross tomorrow, and I know that they will be telling me I need more blood tests done as I have a high testosterone level. image

On one hand it is image but it'll delay how my treatment goes until we have determined how or why the levels are so high.

DD (or anyone else) - fancy doing the Greater Manchester Marathon next year? image

lfc - well done! image

oii - small steps are the best for hills - and not looking too far ahead of yourself.

Wabo - have you been overdoing it? image

How is everyone?
  • Options

Hi folks

Vixx, I hadn't realised you would be in town yesterday. How long are you down for? Are you sure you can't connect to the hotel internet?  You could save on dongle time.  I have a dongle too image.  Hope all goes as you are hoping.

oii - Yes I reckon Royal Parks is pretty good all round.  You see some great bits of London - Westminster, Buckingham Palace, The beautifully statue of Prince Albert golden and shining in the sunshine sitting opposite the Royal Albert Hall.  The parks are beautiful, specially just now with all the leaves dropping.  The squirrels and assorted water birds, plus the pigeons are all incredibly friendly.  There are deck-chairs out (at a price) just like being at the sea side, overlooking the Serpentine.   it's extremely handy for me cos the coach from Oxford stops in Park Lane which is immediately along side Hyde Park (I never thought about why it's called Park lane before image, silly me.)

Birkmyre.  Great news on your 2 pounds gone image

and really well done lfc.  Fantastic run.  I thought you were still injured.

• Options

Goodness alot to catch up on

Lfc: Well done on marathon

• Options

Morning all

Hi Vixx - good luck at Charing Cross today.

I want to do a half marathon first Vixx so am going to sign up for the Chester half marathon which is in May.  I have signed up for the Tatton Park Yule Yomp 10k again this year which is on December 11th.

• Options
    rltw - that sounds just lovely! i will certainly sign up for it next year! can you remember how much your entry fee was?

vixx - lots and lots of luck at charing cross (0:

dd- tatton park yule yomp 10k sounds ace!!! love all that... Now also fancy a piece of squidgy yule log!
  • Options

Good luck today Vixx.

My week is a lot less active than any of yours!  I have a really busy week with a show tonight, going to see my brother's new house and go for dinner with them thurs, wedding fri and then visiting my ini friend in Cambridge sat-sun.  Going to zumba tomorrow night though.  Other than that will probably just go for some lunchtime walks this week.

Discovered these new breakfast things in asda at the weekend, they have pots of granola/oats, compote/homey and yoghurt, and porridge, pack of 2 for £1.  I had a porridge with straberry compote yesterday and granola, blueberry compote and yoghurt today.  They're very nice and really handy, i've just been taking them to work in the morning.

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭

hi all

vixx not really, if anything under doing it.  I hate to blame hormones age etc etc but I think its what is going on here. Frustrating too because its out of your hands really, one minute i feel up the next down!

Anyway, this thread is good  for me today, because it is making me report I have put on 3lbs in two weeks!  Thats not good I know but this thread makes me want to get rid of it. Vixx extra weight has an effect too I guess.  But on sunday I had a lot of aches an pains an dI think its to do with the old sagging ligaments, yuk that sounds horrid!

10st 9lb (((

Anyway, onwards and upwards.

angel that breakfast sounds yum.

oii you will love triathlons.

vixx great advice re hills, thats exactly what I have been told.  Good luck with the blood tests.