Options

New York Marathon 2009

Comments

• Options

Blige... it's all gone very quiet in here! Is everyone ok?

Even my pom poms have gone limp!

• Options

hi trinity

yeah ,everyones boss must have put a block on this website.

had a horror of a run tonight , totally crashed after 2 miles ,walked a bit then gave upimage

i spent more time making up my ipod playlist than actually runningimage

hows your running going?

• Options

Hi everyone, had a good week running  although the 10 mile road race i done on Sunday in Norfolk was a killer because of the heat. (4 mins slower than 3 weeks ago). Spent the rest of the week doing various hour long runs (and a PB 10K of 48mins - how that happenend i will never know!)  with the last run of the week today as working all weekend image and my bones need a rest!!

Going to do a 18 week training plan so not starting for another week or so and looking to fit in a fair few summer races. Must say i am not looking forward to the long runs in the summer heat, am actually dreading it as the heat drains me, anyone else suffer???

• Options

Yep - so I do my long runs ridiculously early or late.

Will start 16 week programme in 3 weeks - just ticking over at the moment and enjoying some 10k races. Am having a blast at a pb the week after next on a fast course at Tynedale.

• Options

hi sue-

mainly suffer with sunburn ,or suncream in my eyes, if its really sunny as i need to keep my 12 inch centre parting in my hair protected image

did a 4 miler with the mrs tonight( she's training for a 10k) and planning a 13 miler early tomorrow morning.

looking forward to starting the proper training in a few weeks ,has everyone decided on a programme?

slightly off subject ,just wondered what music you all listen to during your runs?

• Options

Hi everyone -

Finally got around to checking out RW for an NYC marathon thread and you have all been at it nattering for over a month!

A brief intro: this is my second marathon, first was NYC in 2005 which I did in 3.43. Staying with family in the upper east side this year. Target? Well certainly under 3.30 would be good but in a dream world I would run a boston qualifying 3.15.

Got a guaranteed entry so have been quite relaxed about planning my training - reading your chatter I will get my arse in gear this evening and think about when to start!

re choice of programme: I did a Hal Higdon programme last time but that loaded a lot of running into the weekends, not good with a young family so will go for a different one this time.

re music: current favourites are MGMT and ladyhawke which got me a PB of 1.33 this weekend at st albans half marathon.

Happy running!

AC

• Options

chowster... well done, you've got the naff run outta the way nice and early.. everyone has them image But now you can look forward to great training! image

My running is going well at the mo... still topping 50 mile weeks, next target race in 4 weeks...all on schedule image

Guys... DON'T hide away from warm weather training! Take advantage of it... even if you just do 3 or 4 quality miles in the heat and then longer runs when it's cooler, it will still benefit you. The elites go abroad to do warm weather training.. it teaches your cardiovascular system to work more efficiently and you'll reap the benefits in cooler weather (ie November in NY image )
    Sue...your 10k PB (well done btw! image ) will be partly due to your 10 mile race in the heat.

So use the warm weather to your advantage...ok, it may feel uncomfortable at the time but trust me, it will pay you back in the marathon!

Love from your Chief supporter imageimage

• Options
    Hello Trinity-hope you're still enjoying the ice creams after every race.?image
  • Options

Hmm, music. Not sure mine really deserves that title as I listen to what's commonly known as pop crap. Typical artsists include Girls Aloud (yes, really), Casdada, and pretty much anything that's been in the top 10. I astound myself with my bad taste sometimes; this week I downloaded that dreadfull Tinchy Strider song '#1', 'Tis catchy to be sure. I'm also totally obsessed with the Twilight film (no, I'm not 12 image) and have the soundtrack for that on my iPod. I only ever have about 60 songs on it so I get to hear them a lot.

As for training plans, I have the P&D 70mpw plan written up in Excel so I can colour it in day by day as I do the runs. It's unlikely that I'll do quite that much mileage but the 55mpw schedule seemed a little low given that my weekly mielage over the past 5 months has been about 40. Aiming for 60/65 maybe. Next week is my final week of non-NY training so might treat myself to 2 days off.

• Options

Hey Mick!! Great to see you! Are you going to NY too?
    Sadly the ice cream tradition didn't take off...it ended at Mansfield on that glorious day image

• Options

TORTIE T-  mrs chowster is a big Twilight fan too.she's reading ECLIPSE(dont know if thats the 3rd or 4th book).also liked the reference to the next big thing in music "POP CRAP".I've been a fan of that for many a year , just couldnt put a name to it till now.

i downloaded the new SOPHIE ELLIS BEXTOR song, which might come under that banner.image

A C-  welcome and i think you are giving too much credit to 80's inspired electro-pop for your personal best, i'm sure your training must have aided you a little tooimage 

• Options

TRINITY- forgot to say thanks for my crap run congratulations imageimage, i'm sure before november 1st i'll be well into double figures.

to be honest i just need to eat a better diet although my indian takeaway and beers on a friday have never let me down on the longish saturday morning run.

• Options

Mrs Gas-man here!  I love my music when I'm running, current favourites are Daft Punk One More Time and anything by Faithless always keeps me moving!  mr Gas-man is a purist and only listens to music when training, not suring the race.....I think he just likes to hear people calling his name!  Don't tell him I said that though

Had awful run post-Italy tummy bug, ran 4k at gym using heart rate monitor but couldn't keep my heart rate below 200 so gave up.  Off to try again today but reassured by you all thanks!!

PS will have to do run tomorrow extra early going to see Take That!! 

• Options

7-mile night race last night in my local hills, setting off at 10 pm. Was great fun! I even managed not to fall over.

I still haven't bothered with a training schedule yet, maybe I should?

I'm currently training in preparation for the Wasdale fell race (long, steep) in 3 weeks time. Once that's over, I'll take it from there.

Bon weekend everyone.

• Options

MRS GASMAN-some good dance stuff there. it seems most people on the US version of this website really like DARUDE-SANDSTORM which from memory has a really fast bpm.  if i listen to that on a loop i might change my goal time from 4 hours to just under threeimage

CHAMPAGNE- the night race sounds fun (although dangerous.lol) , was there a big turn out for it?

headed out for my long run early this morning as me and the mrs went to a police auction at 11am to see if i could find a bike to help with any cross training that will be coming up , but came away empty handed as there was too many people bidding and there was no real bargains to be had , unless i would be willing to ride the streets of paisley in a pink tassled  bike with optional stabilisersimage

• Options
                                                Goal                          Hotel (Dates)
    • Champagne          3:30                          Rented accommodation Brooklyn (25-1)
    • Chowster                3.59.59                    East Village bed and coffee (29-6)
    • Dave101                 3:50                          Novotel Times Square, Midtown (29-4)
    • DeejP                      3.10
    • Djwolf                      3:29                          Crowne Plaza (with Mrs Wolf)
    • Gary Jones             2:44
    • Hudds Dave           3:50                          Eastgate Tower Hotel, Midtown (30-3)
    • Kam                         4.15                          Milford Plaza (29 - 4)
    • Kiwidave                 3:29                          The Marcel at Gramercy (30 - 2)
    • Iain Harrison          2:55
    • L’ardvark                 3:05                          Ramada, NJ (29 - 2)
    • Mittybob                   3.59                          Grand Hyatt (30 - 3)
  • Options

Chowster - keep looking for the bike. Cross training is the way to go.

250 runners I think, though I haven't seen the results yet. It was offroad with about 2000ft ascent, and a bit slippy at times. It was a laugh though, with a good atmosphere...kind of 'all in this together', ooops, isn't that a song?

• Options
    Trinity-No im not doing NewYork.Always fancied doing it....maybe next year!! Hows life in the fast lane? Hope you're keeping fit and well.Shame about the ice cream.....we'll have to organise a get together at a race,im sure its my turn to buy.image
  • Options

Hi again! I plan on following the RW 16 week schedule from this website. Also liked the fact that it was ready to dowload onto my 405! That starts the 13th July so hope to improve base fitness before that! Going to have to do some off-road running as well as the road mileage is already starting to be a strain!

Also had a small problem which hopefully someone could help sort? I'd recorded the Eurosport coverage of the 08 NYC marathon onto my Sky+ box so that I could watch it over a few times before I have a go this year! I'd already watched it a couple of times and intended to do so again for motivation etc as this will be my first marathon!

However ... during some thunder & lightening last week my Sky+ decided to reset itself and wipe my recordings so its gone!! I have checked & can't see any copies to buy so was wondering if anyone still had a copy either on Sky + / dvd etc? I would really appreciate if someone could make me a copy and I would gladly cover all costs etc? If you could let me know it would really be appreciated!

My email is davidsomerville101@hotmail.com

Many thanks & good luck everyone with your training schedules!!

David

• Options

Hi Trinity,

so you are doing NY too !! I will probably still be recovering from the L2B !

Joking aside, I had considered this. I am looking for a flat pb potential marathon in early November and actually did NY in 2006. It is a pretty flat course although the last 2 miles in Central Park is uphill. Fantastic crowd too, more than London but oddly, they all come to the Park so the first 5-10 miles is pretty quiet except the sound of c76,000 trainers pounding the tarmac. The only downside is getting to Staten Island so early ! I was out in Queens and was up at 4.30 to get the hotel courtesey bus, the train, the subway, a taxi (when a local on the tube said 'hey man, aren't you a bit late for the race') the ferry and another coach to the start. Plus it was pretty cold having to stand around for well over an hour before the start !

If any one else wants any first hand tips just shout !

• Options

David... I wish! But no... I'm the chief supporter of this motley crew... er I mean group of finely tuned athletes image

L'ardvark recruited me... all I have to do it shake me pom poms at regular intervals imageimage

• Options

And what a good job your doing Trin!

Champange- You seem to be up for the more interesting runs on this forum, anything with 2000ft ascent is not for me. I know it's all good training but I think I will stick to the local 10k's for now.

Doing Thame 10k on Sunday and that has a massive climb, it must be nearly 100ft.......not impressed then?

Did 26miles last week and also a fair bit of cross training. I went out on the bikes on Sunday with my 11yr old lad down the tow path in Reading. He challenged me to get up some very steep run-offs along the route and on the last one I did a great backwards fall off! I must remember I am 46 not 14........ it's my new mantra when I am out with my lad.

Cheers....have a great week running.

• Options

what a scorcher today. GMTV said it would be cloudy, so i put a jumper on to work and ended up sweating more than i do when i'm runningimage.

been tracking my garmin , it seems its in the hands of the british customs now so it shouldn't be too long till its on my wrist telling me i'm going too slow.

LARDVARK- just wondering how you're getting on with your back problem , hope its clearing up

• Options

100ft! Watch out for altitude sickness. image
    I'm the opposite. I've had enough of 10k's and half marathons on the road, so I've turned to the hills. The advantage of hills is that you have a good excuse for walking!
    I've got an uphill only race in Chamonix this weekend, the 23k 'Cross du Mont Blanc'. I did it two years ago and promised myself that I'd never enter it again. Memory of a goldfish, me.

• Options

Thanks TortieT for directing me to this thread...this is great. 

Hey all, here's a bit about me...i got a place through the ballot (which was totally unexpected) and this is my first marathon so i'm frantically trying to get my fitness in the right place before starting my 16 week schedule.  I'm aiming for 4:30 but realistically expect to be in the 5:30 bracket as it's my first attempt...so not up there with you guys this time...I've booked the Marriott in Downtown Manhattan as this seemed to be close to the start (not fussed about the finish as i'm off to stay with family after the race)...but very excited and definitely going to be watching this thread going forward...the advice on here is great!!

• Options

Well! An aardvark turns a sore back for a couple of days and everyone starts chatting to each other. I shall now neglect you all for regular and extended periods.

Can't catch up now, as my bath is running!

Achingcalves, Tracey S and (in your own right) Mrs Gas Man. Welcome. I will update ‘the charts’ to include your new information soon. (Chowster: You amended one chart and separated them! However, thanks for asking after me. See below for update.)

I have been out for 8 days with a bad back that came out of nowhere (although I have stopped any and all stretching...) and thankfully seems to be going back there. I did a torturous 4 on Fri, an okay 6 on Saturday, a not-too-bad 12 yesterday, and a gosh-I'm tired 10 today. Now my left knee pain has come back. (I'll be asking you about this soon, Trin!), but this seems to improve with running regularly, so I'll not let that stop me (yet). I will be re-doing Pfitz & Douglas 18/55, although I may up the mileage if I don't start swimming instead. I don't listen to music when I run (or indeed anytime to any of the stuff you folks are admitting to!).

What's that water-sound? Oh, gotta go.

Run well, everyone.

• Options

L'ARDVARK- you dont do things by halfs.thats a pretty impressive comeback from injury. i sometimes find running helps with niggly injuries too. i only ever get back pain when i have long periods of not running.

on the music front , i hopefully redeemed myself tonight  (or maybe not) on my 11 mile  heat induced slog , i had JOHNNY CASH and INTERPOL helping me around.

TRACEY S- how dare you get a place through the ballotimage.dont worry i'll come to terms with it in time.(once i've reached my charity place minimum).

• Options

I'm the same as L'Ardvark as I dont listen to music when running, i just take in the sounds of the countryside, the birds singing, the bees buzzing, Snow White tidying up the seven dwarves house and the odd chav chariot making more noise than progress.

TRACEY S- I also got in through the ballot on the first time of asking so that set the wheels in motion for travel and accomodation - good ole VISA - but the 5AM ish start is probably the scariest bit at the moment.  As this is my first marathon as well I am just starting to get some short runs in (7 miles in an hour on sunday as that is my target pace for sub 4 hours - with a bit of slack).

Still not sure on whether to see if I can can get a reserved seat at the finish for the better looking half (not the buffet) so has anyone had one of these before and are they worth it (in your opinion)

• Options
    Steven SSteven S ✭✭✭

Hi there everyone, hope everyone is well at the moment injury free. I have been off dragon boating managing balancing it with running. I raced up in Teeside couple weekends ago, and did really well. I am up in Nottingham this Sunday. Not sure if its good cross training, do gym as well.

I have planned to get the dragon boat race out of the way at weekend, then I have planned to do some half marathon(High Wycombe and or Burnham).

I must have to join the club with people who dont listen to music when running. Take in the surroundings.