Options

New York Marathon 2009

Comments

• Options

Thanks Hudds Dave image

I detect a slight air of Pre Marathon Schedule Mania (PMSM) in here...

So, with me please... deep breath in image ................hold image ..... and slowly out......
    again..... deep breath in image ............hold image ......and slowly out........
    last time....deep breath in image ............hold image ......and slowly out..........

Good image

18 weeks and 4 days until M Day (and that could be M for Marathon or Mania image )
    Schedules at the ready guys! imageimage

• Options
                                                Goal                          Hotel (Dates)
    • Achingcalves         3.30                          Upper East Side
    • Champagne          3:30                          Rented accommodation Brooklyn (25-1)
    • Chowster                3.59.59                    East Village bed and coffee (29-6)
    • Dave101                 3:50                          Novotel Times Square, Midtown (29-4)
    • DeejP                      3.10
    • Djwolf                      3:29                          Crowne Plaza (with Mrs Wolf)
    • Gary Jones             2:44
    • Hudds Dave           3:50                          Eastgate Tower Hotel, Midtown (30-3)
    • Kam                         4.15                          Milford Plaza (29 - 4)
    • Kiwidave                 3:29                          The Marcel at Gramercy (30 - 2)
    • Iain Harrison          2:55
    • L’ardvark                 3:05                          Ramada, NJ (29 - 2)
    • Mittybob                   3.59                          Grand Hyatt (30 - 3)
  • Options
    • NotCat                     3.10
    • Over the Hill            3.45                          Jersey City (29 - 1) at a friend's
    • Paul Ward              2:59:59
    • Steven S                 3:30
    • Stray Celt                3:30
    • Sue Osborne         3: 50                         The New Yorker
    • Tiptree                     3:45                          Big Apple Hostel (30 - 5)
    • Tony Hodge 6        3:30
    • Tortie T                    3:30                          Ramada, NJ (30 - 2)
    • Tracey S                   4.30                         Marriott Downtown
    • Tri Bean                   4.00                         Mariott Brooklyn Bridge (28 - 2)
    • Tricia Hurst             3:59                          Crowne Plaza (28 - 3)
  • Options

or is that M for

Mittybob wins NY Marathon in new world record time 

• Options

Hey Mitty Bob - how's that knee?

Finally got mine diagnosed as chrondomalacia - doing all the recom exercises, seeing physio and making progress which is good. Up to 6 miles now , could do with a training plan for working up to NY post injury - what are you using?

• Options

hi tri bean

knees been ok, just taking it steady

I downloaded the training plan from the RW site and am using the 14 week one for a 3.5 to 4 hour sheet but I will aim to do the mileage but perhaps swap things around to suit when I can do them.  I will aim to do the longer runs (10 miles plus) on the specified weeks but then aim to do a short (5 to 10 miles) at a quicker pace once a week and then 1 or 2 steady runs as well.  As I said, I'm aiming to get around in under 4 hours so I'll be working towards being able to keep an even pace as much as I can so I'm looking to build my stamina to be able to do that so bring on the few miles tonight !!!!

• Options

Morning all

I ran a "Handicapped 5-mile" race yesterday. If you don't know, the idea is that everyone reports a recent 10k time and the start is staggered with the aim that everyone arrives at the finish line at about the same time. This means that you should very gradually catch up with the person in front (who should very gradually catch up with the person in front of them) and the person behind should very gradually catch up with you. To repeat: everyone should end up at the finishing line at the same time - with no passing 'supposed' to happen up to about then.

It was an out and back on a ridge of the South Downs Way. (Ditchling Beacon to Black Cap, for those who might know.) The view to the right ended with the sea. The view to the left was lush, green, flat land as far as the eye could see, a few hundred feet below where we ran. It was a sunny evening and beautiful. Because I was racing, all I saw was the path in front of my feet and other runners.

The first person overtook me at about Mile 1. I'm guessing about 3 more runners passed me overall, but there may have been more. I overtook about the same number of competitors. The people that passed me looked like real athletes. The people I overtook really, really didn't (although the disabled guy running with the aid of sticks deserves considerable kudos. I caught up with him about half a mile from the end!).

The race really made me realise how much passing those in front and keeping those behind where they are helps motivate one in normal races. In a race where it is almost impossible to catch the person in front and no-one should pass you (and there is no-one around to help you keep an even pace), it was horribly, horribly hard to keep focused and to try to keep pushing forwards - especially when people do pass you! Good for developing discipline, I would think. I've quite a lot of room for development in that department, that's for sure.

I have no idea how to report the results other than to say I wasn't anywhere close to being the first over the line and I didn't have anywhere near the fastest time. My time was 34:20, for what it's worth!

In brief, hard and horrible but somehow affirming. At the end of the race, I joined the club organizing it (Phoenix AC). Tonight, I may go to a swimming coaching session they put on. (There are a lot of triathlete's in the club...)

Have a good day, all.

• Options

Hi L'ardvark,

I know what you mean - I find I get a great boost from overtaking people. I find it difficult if people start pulling away from me - I think there is a lot to this sport phsycology (sp? - doesn't look right image)

Am doing a 10k race next weekend, helping a friend to do their first race. Her predicted time is very slow - so think I am going to have to rein in my competitive spirit for the day image

• Options

Nice racing L'a!

Tricia... no 'h' image

18 weeks today!!! image *waves pom poms* image

So who's on an 18 week schedule?

• Options

Hi Trin, 16 weeker for me but putting in about mid 20's a week (just done over 30 miles this week)

Just done Thame 10k today and it was bloody hot. I had forgotton how open the course was as there is no shade all the way around. There was one water stop at 5k but they had two lads trying to cope with over 1000 runners. They were trying to pour it into cups and serve at the same time and so I missed out on water.

Did ok still just outside my PB. I have trained really hard with lots of speed work recently and so I am looking forward to a race where it all comes together for me. I must admit I have felt crappy since the run as I did push a bit to hard in the direct sun and no water.

Time to lie down in a cold room!

How's everybody else got on this weekend?

• Options

Mrs Gas-man here, you should all move north, much cooler here!  Ran the Race for Life 10k today, thinking of my mum..........anyway, pleased with my time, 1;03 (built for comfort, not speed) in very congested and hilly course, so measurable improvement since Edinburgh 10k in May.  Planning to start 18 week programme this very week, taking in holidays and I WILL NOT BE SIDE-TRACKED BY WORK (memo to self).  Planning the Glasgow half in early Sept (a brave move for one from Edinburgh..) so hope to get a reasonable time.

We seem to be missing from the hotel list Mr and Mrs Gas-man but we are still going!!

On the music side, have downloaded a few of MJ's best dance tracks, forgot how good the old stuff was (pre-Thriller), am hopefully making valuable contribution to his childrens' future, bless them they will need all they can get.

TTFN 

• Options

Hi Everyone,

I also did a 10k today, the Horndon-on-the-Hill 10k to be precise (40:42). Like Hudds Dave, i found it hot and sultry. Thankfully no problems with water supply though...just the hills. Still, the running is enjoyable and injury free at the moment which is all that matters.

The handicap report from L'ar sounds very familiar to me. My RC does a 5k handicap series which is always good fun, but I find i'm out simply to beat my 5k time now, as i don't improve that much now compared to when i first started running. You're right though, there is a benefit in how you learn to push on past people rather than sit alongside someone during a race.

Is it really18 weeks today????? Well, i'm not going to start my training quite yet, i'm going for a maximum 16 week plan but in reality the first few weeks of that trining plan won't push me too much more than now anyway.

I've finally decided on where me and the family are staying during the NYM....Hyatt Place Secaucus in NJ from the 28-2.

Time for a cooling iced tea now. Hope you've all had a good W/E??

• Options
    • Achingcalves         3.30                          Upper East Side
    • Champagne          3:30                          Rented accommodation Brooklyn (25-1)
    • Chowster                3.59.59                    East Village bed and coffee (29-6)
    • Dave101                 3:50                          Novotel Times Square, Midtown (29-4)
    • DeejP                      3.10
    • Djwolf                      3:29                          Crowne Plaza (with Mrs Wolf)
    • Gary Jones             2:44
    • Gas-man                3:45                          Library Hotel (29-  3)
    • Gas-man (Mrs.)     4:45                          Library Hotel (29-  3)    
    • Hudds Dave           3:50                          Eastgate Tower Hotel, Midtown (30-3)
    • Kam                         4.15                          Milford Plaza (29 - 4)
    • Kiwidave                 3:29                          The Marcel at Gramercy (30 - 2)
    • Iain Harrison          2:55
  • Options
    • L’ardvark                 3:05                          Ramada, NJ (29 - 2)
    • NotCat                     3.10
    • Over the Hill            3.45                          Jersey City (29 - 1) at a friend's
    • Paul Ward              2:59:59                     NYM....Hyatt Place Secaucus (28 - 2)
    • Steven S                 3:30
    • Stray Celt                3:30
    • Sue Osborne         3: 50                         The New Yorker
    • Tiptree                     3:45                          Big Apple Hostel (30 - 5)
    • Tony Hodge 6        3:30
    • Tortie T                    3:30                          Ramada, NJ (30 - 2)
    • Tracey S                   4.30                         Marriott Downtown
    • Tri Bean                   4.00                         Mariott Brooklyn Bridge (28 - 2)
    • Tricia Hurst             3:59                          Crowne Plaza (28 - 3)
  • Options

Hudds Dave. Good run! In this weather and with no hydration, to come within shouting distance of a PB is fine work. It’ll all come together sometime soon enough and I predict you will slash that PB.

Mrs Gas Man. I’ve lived north. I’ll take the weather here most anytime, thanks. (My southern softie credentials have been well-established on another thread.) Many congratulations on your measurable improvement – by far the best kind, I feel. I love Glasgow and if a clear Sassenach like me can feel safe there, I’m sure you’ll be fine. Good luck with the half.

Paul Ward. “Injury free is all that matters at the moment.” I hear that. Being “simply” out to beat one’s 5k time – I can’t get any handle on that “simply”. Well done on your 10k today in challenging conditions and enjoy the rest of your ‘rest’ before training begins.

Trin. There is an “h”, just not where Tricia put it. It’s “psychology”. (I’m cheating as I have a job in a Psychology department.) Sterling work on the cheerleading, though. I’m loving the way you shake those tassles. (Did you say your ex- is running NYC? Is he contributing to this forum…)

I have spent all day putting finishing touches to my 18-week schedule. Adding about 6 miles a week to Pfitz’s 18/55 schedule is easy enough; it’s shifting things around to fit in the tune-up races that’s tricky. I have got several stretches of relatively hard running in a row, despite my best efforts. Repeats to self, “Above all else, avoid injury.” Other than that, two high-mileage weeks in high-season Turkey should have all sorts of heat-training benefits!

I was supposed to be racing a 10k today but obstacles prevented it happening. I went for a 14 miler in the (softie southern) hills instead, bringing this week’s mileage to 47 – from last week’s total mileage of 10. No one can accuse me of sensible training.

Have a great 18-weeks, all!

• Options

MRS GASMAN- have you signed up for the GLASGOW HALF yet?  I heard they have changed the course from last year , taking the hill at the start out as you leave GEORGE SQUARE , which is fine by meimage

And congrats on you're 10k time ,especially as you were seen MOONWALKING on several occasions throughout the runimage

L'ARDVARK -impressive mileage build-up

did a 15 mile plod yesterday , weather  was ideal (cloudy with a slight cooling breeze). 

it went relatively well  and had the added bonus of the GARMIN having arrived when i got homeimageimageimage.

and since it came AFTER the run i have totalled up the grand total of 4 feet so far .image

QUESTION TIME AGAIN....

1)i installed SPORTSTRACKS and wondered if the maps of the routes i run are automatically downloaded when i link the 305 to the computer.

2)when starting a marathon schedule is it foolish to make the long weekend run longer than what is stated (i.e . will i be setting myself up to get injured) as the 1st weeksstates around 8 miles.

• Options
    Well, that’s the first run in my NY training plan completed, 5 miles (supposed to be at recovery pace but I got carried away trying to catch a fat man in front of me so ending up doing it at sub-(hoped for)marathon pace. Oops). 1 down, 105 to go.

I haven’t competed in any road races this year but would like to do a half towards the end of the training plan to gauge fitness. I have found a couple on Sept 27th but they both have a few hills which might scupper a pb. Then there’s one on Oct 11th but I think that might be a bit close to the marathon. There’s also one on 18th but that’s definitely too close. Any advice on the optimum number of weeks to leave between a half and full? (Can’t to 4th Oct as marshalling club race).
  • Options

Hi TortieT

the one I'm following (or using as a guide - aiming for 4 hours or less over 14 weeks) has the following entries for each of the last few weeks

w/c 28-Sep    SUNDAY    Race half-marathon - Aim for 1:50
    w/c 05-Oct    SUNDAY    20mile endurance - take drinks, walk for 2mins at the end of each hour - Aim for 3:20
    w/c 12-Oct    SUNDAY    Race 6-10miles, with long warm-up and warm down
    w/c 19-Oct    SUNDAY    10miles steady, in racing kit, practice your pre-race routine
    w/c 26-Oct    SUNDAY    Lots of running !!!! 

I havent included all the weekly stuff but I guess the trick is not to overdo it

Dont know whether the above helps but it gave me an idea of what I should be building up to over the next couple of months

• Options

Great training guys!!! imageimage

L'a... yes, my ex is running NY, but he's not a forum type person image Well done for getting the schedule sorted... you've obviously got a decent base to spring from!

Chowster... It depends what mileage you are at now as to whether you add more to the schedule, for instance... if you're comfortably doing 12 on a Sunday on top of a normal week training but the schedule has you going back to 8, then I would increase the the schedule to suit. Otherwise, leave it as it is... you will build up soon enough...it's still early days and you don't want to get too tired too soon.

Tortie... re the half, what does your schedule say... most of them put in a lower mileage week somewhere with a half marathon race at the end of it. If yours doesn't then look at the comparable RW ones, I know they do... and you could adapt that particular week of your schedule.

As for me... it's Taper Time! image Last week was my hardest week hitting 67 miles, so I'm glad to be taking it down a bit... I'm even finding it difficult to shake my pom poms with as much vigour as before!

• Options
    Trin. Still slacking on the mileage, I see. What are you tapering for (as in, "Which race" rather than "What's the point of tapering, then?")?
  • Options

Hi all just back from work and run #1 of 18 week schedule on the cards this evening , 3 mile easy run, not quite so easy when Mr Gas-man is stuck in an operating theatre and I have to take young Gas-boy with me on his bike !! 

L'ardvark, I have an ology too.............clincal psychology, assessments for cosmetic and weight loss surgery, my friends are forming an orderly queue!  What kind are you?

Chowster, I ran the Glasgow half twice before, once in 85 degrees, the same year as the deaths at the Great North Run, but they're made of strong stuff the Weegies, saw a few passed out on the pavement but that was maybe the buckfast.......  Running in Glasgow is always good fun, even the hills are pretty minimal, when you train in Edinburgh you need to be a mountain goat to cope with all the hills!!

TTFNimageimage

• Options

Mrs Gas-Man. First, pretty heartless of you to go for a run whilst hubby is in the operating theatre. Ohhhh, that sort of gas-man. I can't spell anesthetist, either.

I'm only a pretend psychologist. Link. Wow. So I guess you must look like one of those women in that programme I now can't remember the name of. 

• Options

L'a... I'm t t t tapering for Kent 50 Challenge (which is actually 52.4 miles) on 19th July image

• Options

Hi all - back after taking it easy for the past ten days before I get cracking on some proper training.

Good to see you are all hard at it already.

I still haven't really decided which programme to follow but have put in a couple of very hot runs in the last few days.

Thanks for the notes of welcome chowster/trin/l'aardvark!

• Options
    For a pretend psychologist you've got lots of publications........I just deal with the grim reality of the NHS.  Run with Gas-boy less than successful after he fell off twice, still it was warm and it got my legs moving, not all bad!!
  • Options

I'm sure someone has mentioned it before - but too lasy to look through all the back posts image Can anyone tell me what drinks they use in NY?

• Options

Hi Tricia

Gatorade and water are both on offer pretty much throughout. They also have lots of those utterly revolting gel sachets whcih caused my finest moment in 2005, throwing up in Central Park in front of thousands!!

Mrs G-M

• Options

I have vague recollections of reading somewhere that it was Gatorade Endurance (with added salt - not available in Europe), lemon/lime flavour, I think. Can anyone confirm or deny this? And I am assuming that bananas will not be officially provided ???

• Options

Thanks Mrs G-M. Will have to get some to see what it is like.

• Options

Tricia - in 2005 it was a lemony Gatorade which I found rather grim. I ran with two bottles of Lucozade sport and a few gel sachets to go with the water.

L'a - no bananas officially although the crowds were so great they were there plying us with bananas, ice creams and all sorts.

g-m didn't spot you throwing up in central park in 2005 - the main happening when I went through was a pace group leader who had collapsed!

off for a cheeky 10k in the gym....shame murray isn't on until 3pm!