Options

Salclear Isle of Man Marathon

Am thinking of entering.

Was wondering about accomadation.  I see that they provide transport from the ferry to the start.  I am not an early bird so was thinking of stopping near to the start, any accomadation suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    I'm thinking of entering too, might make a bit of a long weekend of it.  Any advice on best value ferry crossing from Heysham/Liverpool
  • Options

see isle of man steam packet holidays for deals with accomodation.  There's probably cheaper deals, but you need someone from the island for help.  Hesham will be cheaper than Liverpool.

I would love to do this event as i love the island, but not possible this year.

• Options

Has anyone any feedback on this Marathon or done it before?  I am thinking of using it as a "best for age" qualifyer for London 2010 - I am a vet so would need to go under 3.15.

I cannot find many other marathons pre August 21st to qualify - this is the cut off for London 2010.

Would the Isle of Man lend itself to a reasonable time!

Any comments much appreciated.

Cheers,

Bill. 

• Options
    OjomanOjoman ✭✭✭
    Entered this and looking forward to it!
  • Options

Well after Edinburgh going a lot tits upwards after six months of training in the winter i just had to find another to have a go at . Great flights from Birmingham on sat morning returning on sun at 18:00 so no reasons not to have another go and it's ten weeks away so pretty much perfect image. Just need to find a hotel now for sat night.

Anybody any idea how far from Douglas the start is or advice for close hotels ? 

• Options

I'm thinking the same as you Tarmac Runner - Edinburgh was a disaster and I trolled in 35mins slower then my target time, so I need something else apart from the half and 10km I have lined up. This one sounds okay so I might give it a punt.

Of course the weather could be even hotter then Edinburgh, but at least I will have had time to acclimatise to the conditions between now and then (maybe?).

• Options

another one who had a disaster at Edinburgh!!

I started this thread before Edinburgh thinking I might do the race more as a training run rather than actually race it.

However, the heat in Ed meant I was not going to achieve my target.  Was aiming for sub 4 but after a few miles knew it wasnt going to happen so decided just to plod around rather than race.  Did 4.27, so all things considered it was OK I suppose.

Now I am back looking at this, the thing is though, all the tapering is stressful, then the weather watch and then the dissapointment, emotiionally it takes a lot out of me!! Part of me thinks I will wait til Abo for sub 4 when the weather cant be hot.

The other thing about IOM is that if I miss sub 4 again that will be 3 weeks tapering, 2 weeks recovering so 5 weeks out of my abo training thereby comprimising my Abo time.

I did think though that I might do this but not taper (well do a 2 day taper) then see what I can do racing it without a taper.  If I get to halfway and it is feeling too harder than it should then I will drop back and treat it as a training run thereby minimising recovery time.  Doing this means there is less pressure as it would not be a target race and if I dont do sub 4 there will be less dissapointment cos I have the excuse that I didnt taper!

Talking of the weather, I have IOM on my phone now for forcasts.  Over the last few weeks when I was looking at the Ed forcast I was also looking at the IOM, when Ed said 22 IOM said about 15!! It was always lower.  Now that it is cooler Ed, home and IOM all say about the same!

• Options
    I live on the Isle of Man, and thinking of entering the walking Half Marathon. It's really scenic and it's one of the few interesting things to do, then again I'm 17 so can't go into clubs yet. I'd really go for it- even if it's just a cheap weekend holiday image
  • Options

Bill,

The cut off for London used to be end of Sept - I have used Nottingham on 13th Sept before to get my qualifying time and assumed I would do it this year! I have just noticed that the cut off has moved to 21st August this year and it does appear that Manx is the only possible UK one.

I guess I'll have to give it a shot - not sure it will be the easiest for a good time. Lets hope its not too hot.

• Options
    I am confident it will be a course for a good time. Iom is not as hot as the mainland and we have quite some time to acclimatize with the weather we are having now. I aim to do at least some of my runs when it is hot!
  • Options
    Haha, don't worry, the Isle of Man is known for it's 'four seasons in one day'. We don't get quite as hot as the mainland due to the sea wind, so hopefully it should be quite refreshing because this events in the north, we've even been known to get snow in July (okay, once). I've heard this can be very fast, some of our locals will be taking part, however I have no idea how fast the visitors will be.
  • Options
    Just sent my entry off for the full marathon - first one.
  • Options
    Wooo I've been reading up on this one & was really pondering it...so I have just entered the marathon. Just got to book accomodation and flight & I'm sorted image
  • Options
    booked my accomodation a few days ago, decided to stay in ramsey so I can have longer in bed!!
  • Options

I'm in image

Liz hows the 10 in 10 training going?

• Options
    I've got a couple of marathons lined up image I am doing this Isle of Man marathon, which I'm excited about because I've never been to the IOM and then In Sep I have the Robin Hood Marathon, in Oct I have Loch Ness and then Snowdonia...in Dec I decided to round off the year with the Brecon 45 Mile Ultra...feeling inspired right now image
  • Options

You certainly sound, an ultra there a thought have done one  before?

I've been continuing my one marathon a month  strategy but not found one for June, I might run what used to be the Old Bolton marathon at the weekend, not the same as competing in a race but at least I'll have run 26.2 miles in June.

• Options

I've never done one before, but there's only one way to find out, right  image I'm doing the training for it and the marathons that I'm doing will help towards this. I just love experiences & I'm loving seeking out new ones. I didn't get on to the 10in10 - which of course I'm sad about, but I guess theres always the future.

The marathon a month strategy sounds like its a good one, I too was looking for more marathons in the north/ north west area.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

woody - if you're looking for a road marathon next June, Cork is on the first Monday in June, brilliant marathon.

Liz - sorry to hear you didn't get into the 10 in 10, is your name on the waiting list in case anyone drops out nearer the time?

• Options

Aw thank you. No, image I think its because on paper, I appear quite inexperienced, as I only started entering races last year - but I do alot of mileage and I am quite ambitious and work on things both mentally and physically; oh well.

• Options

Thanks for that Shades I'll check out Cork out for next year, my post should have read July not June having said that I struggled to find one for June and Ran a LDWA walk that allow runners.

I did run yesterday what used to be the 1980's Bolton marathon.

Liz shame about the 10 in 10image. I cant see any reason why you'd not be accepted 2011 with the races you'll have done this time next year.

• Options
    Yep, I'm trying not to let it make me feel sad, so I'm really glad I have my races coming up which is sure to put a big smile on my face image
  • Options

If you dont mind off road there is the seabank marathon in June - skegness to boston, it is actually a bit short (25.5 on my garmin) so the 100 club would prob not count it but it depends on your reasons for doing the marathons.  It is quite flat, I was slower than my marathon time by about 25 mins but I had just done Edinburgh the week before and I deliberatly took it easy. 

Just back from Switzerland having run the Davos marathon, really enjoyed it.  Took it easy, it was very hilly so I walked a lot of the uphills as did others around me.  Sub 3.30 marathon runners who I was with did it in just under 4 and they raced it.  I took 4.26 so am feeling quite hopeful for a sub 4 either at IOM or Abingdon

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Liz - don't give up trying to get into the 10 in 10 over the next few years....if you still want to do it.   It will help your application too if you can show that you will be able to raise the sponsorship and hopefully a bit more too.   If it's any consolation to you I would never do the 10 in 10 again, the risk of long term injury is just too great.   I went back to Windermere this year and supported the 10 in 10 runners on Day 9 and I was so glad that I'd decided not to do it again especially when I saw what a state some of the runners were in.

woody - it's hard to find road marathons during the summer, next July there will be Faversham which is about 40 laps of a park in Kent, it's a great event though you need to enter very quickly as spaces are limited due to lap counters.

hellen - well done at Davos, bodes well for IOM

• Options

Thanks for the info Hellen and Shades I'll make a note and check them out for next year.

Well done at davos  I would imagine the scenary was fantastic. As you say sub 4 should be on the cards for IOM good luck.

I'm hoping for a sub 3.15 but after the run at the weekend is not looking to good.

• Options

I'm a Manx local doing this (like a few others) after an Edinburgh disaster.

The course is pretty flat except for about 150ft of climbing between miles 3 and 4 (coming into Bride,) and then a bit of a descent again up to mile 7.  Since the marathon is two laps this means you'll be hitting the climb again between miles 16 and 17, and I've been told that it can catch people out the second time around.

Good luck everyone!

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Busy day for me, am moving offices at work, then when I get home at 5pm,  pack and load the car, driving up to Knutsford tonight (235 miles).   Then onto Liverpool for the ferry to IOM Sat morning.

See you all on Sunday

• Options

In work today, then dragging the parents to Liverpool this evening & onto the ferry image 

Yey, See you all sunday x

• Options
    woohoo, I've just sorted it all out and I'm doing this - well the half anyway. Not at all prepared for it, but gonna see it as a gorgeous training run for the GNR.
  • Options
    Wooo great to hear image sooo excited now; I like the adventure of it all hehe. See ye' there