Options

Triathlons twice as dangerous as Maras!

Comments

• Options
    smiley lady (M.) wrote (see)
    Are they? I wouldn't mind following that one if you have a source JD. I (personal opinion) thought the water safety was wholey inadequate in Florida. Then again, I'm a crap swimmer and would require 2 guide kayaks to have a bath, Zuppy, thought the cover was fine (channel swimmer, medic, kayak instructor and general deal-with-emergencies ace) so I guess it depends on your point of view. I definely feel they tried to push it under the carpet. understandable to probably hurtful for the deceased family.

i just heard it on ironman talk last week.  basically i think the gist of it was lack of medical cover.  but i agree, i'm not sure how they can protect everyone.  if you're a bad swimmer then hang back.  i've never had a problem getting clear water.

difficult one eh, it's basically pretty easy to die.

still, people are always being sued in the US for so many trivial things it's no wonder they're suing over a death really.  perhaps it'll make it a little safer in future.  in reality i imagine it'll just push up insurance premiums to host the event and therefore entry fees will go up too.

• Options
    Poor IM florida has been used several times. The classic was when a cyclist got off the bike for a pee. As US gardens don't have walls, fences etc he peed into someone's garden where his young daughter was playing. Aparently she saw your man's willie and suffered "emotional damage". Dad of the girl was a lawyer so tried the good old american sue.
  • Options

http://www.newsherald.com/news/rice-74284-triathlon-lawsuit.html

The lawsuit claims the triathlon was negligent in nine instances:

— failing to properly supervise, guard, monitor, or secure the swim area and swimmers, including but not limited to the decedent;

— failing to properly organize the swim competition in a reasonably safe manner;

— failing to have proper procedures or rules governing response to emergency situations, including drownings;

— failing to provide enough supervision at the swim competition event;

— allowing Rice to enter the swim without the presence of enough lifeguards or other persons trained in first aid or cardiopulmonary resuscitation for the number of participants in the triathlon;

— failing to sufficiently research the oceanic and weather conditions to ensure the conditions were safe for swimmers such as Rice, and makes it reasonably safe from the foreseeable harm suffered by Rice;

--- failing to provide sufficient beer in the finishers tent.

— failing to properly provide adequate safety equipment, safety floatation equipment and life-saving equipment to aid in rescue efforts'

— failing to have a risk management program in place;

— failing to call off the competition when the conditions were such as to make it safe to continue.

• Options

Any (race) fatality is sad but it extremely difficult to get any information after the event as to what went wrong. A friend of mine died after thr FLM in 2005 but you have to search for ages to get any info even on-line...

From what i gather the majority of deaths seem to be from previously undiagnosed conditions and it is uncertain as to whether they can be pre-screened prior to the race (i'm generalising).

• Options

Interesting article JD, as are some of the comments on the link

JD. wrote (see)

lol

• Options
    Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

Interesting article JD, as are some of the comments on the link

JD. wrote (see)

lol

i should have launched legal action against imde for that oversight.
  • Options
    Interesting related 3 articles on that website too - Tri-Accidental deaths. Cant see that IMF will be held responsible. He seems to have done a half IM swin in 38 mins, so he was no slouch. I reckon he could have dropped down anywhere. Its a shame to see his name dragged through the courts like this really.

(unless i die in switzerland and then sue the pants off them !)

(joke !!)
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    I'd frigging sue IMFL for having a shitty finisher's area - and NO beer..........

I was at london tri spectating a couple of years ago when some guy had a cardiac in the swim - the safety boat was there in seconds and they hauled him on board very quickly but he had died by the time they got him to the swim out.

when your times up your times up - and I'd rather go doing something I enjoy. I think I might make it a condition of my will that if I die in a sports event then nobody should bear any consequences.
  • Options
    Different fatality FB.

http://www.newsherald.com/sports/griffin-67429-barnett-first.html

Thing is - if someone DOES have a cardiac arrest - its not like in the movies - 99% of the time they come back with barely a splutter.

The real world its a much slimmer chance isnt it.
  • Options
    and if you do come back then most of the time you'll have brain damage i think.
  • Options
    That bit never happened on Baywatch.
  • Options

I would agree. Probably gives the average Joe an over-inflated idea of his first aid capabilities as well.

Current advice is also to sack the idea of breathing into someone's mouth. If you can do CPR, you are now advised just to keep pumping at the patient's heart. It is thought that there is enough oxygen in the blood for you not to have to worry about breath for a few minutes, especially as while you're breathing into their mouth, you're letting their blood pressure fall... keep blood flowing to the important bits (like the heart muscle and brain) and they have the best chance you can give them.

FB - isnt that the same as signing a waiver though?

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    "isnt that the same as signing a waiver though?"

well that's what you would think - all IMFL competitors signed a waiver yet the deceased's family seemed to think that is useless so have become typical american money grabbing litigants.......imho.

I think a will would override any of my family even thinking that they would try to sue an event organiser......not that I think the idea would cross their mind but who knows?? people do strange things when there might be money to be had
  • Options
    and in grief...
  • Options

"No study has been conducted in the UK, but two deaths have occurred in recent British triathlons, one during the bike race and one involving a competitor who died after the event, while asleep. Both had heart abnormalities."

surely these people would/could've died during any form of physical exercise and its having a heart abnormality that kills you not being involved in any particular sport. 

seems to be happening more and more recently, or is it just more widely reported/understood?

• Options
    I guess its growing with the incidence of people doing triathlon, I wonder how many people have died doing the gardening or watching TV this year?
  • Options

Exactly and you don't tend to find "The Hidden Dangers of Gardening" articles getting as much attention-it's these moronic journalists/writers who throw together these irresponsible pieces...basically there is a risk with everything we do.

I wonder how many of us would go for cardiac examinations in order to gain race places or whether we feel that it is worth the risk...

• Options
    "People competing in triathlon events are twice as likely to die as those who run marathons"

And there was me thinking the likelihood of death was 100%. Looks like by concentrating on marathons instead of tri for a bit I could cut my chance of dying to just 50%.

I passed a guy at Stratford (a sprint, so not the most punishing event) who suffered a cardiac arrest on the bike leg. He was probably dead by the time I passed him being treated. If that didn't put me off, a moronic journo certainly won't.

I'm going to make the most of the life I've got - if it ends doing something I love, I won't complain. (I won't complain however I go...). But I'd like to at least complete the race first. image

• Options
    ...and get a pb and some pirate whooping to usher you off this mortal coil...
  • Options
    Right, im off for a run, wish me luck image
  • Options
    Barley - you'll be fine. You only have a 50% chance of dying.
  • Options

Weeders wrist? image

• Options
    Do you think Mowers suffer with the trots?
  • Options
    Have you got our route sorted yet?
  • Options
  • Options
    in the context of this thread tho it should be 'root'
  • Options
    lol, funny as well as beautiful image
  • Options
    Sprint AkieSprint Akie ✭✭✭
     Well theres been a lot more reported cases of people suffering heart attacks etc whilst playing Football and Rugby so I dont think its related to just running and triathlons.