Options

Edinburgh marathoners past and present

Comments

• Options
    Leg still mashed after sunday but think I should probably go for a run anyway.  Can't really be arsed but hey ho......image
  • Options
    That  felt alright tonight once I got going.  Wasn't pushing at all and ran 4 miles averaging 6:30/mile.  I'm not far off running well but just a few weeks short of being 100% ready to run a marathon.  Fingers crossed for some atrocious weather a week on sunday to give me even a glimmer of a chance. image
  • Options
    Sorry I'm going to pick on Markk again for his military knowledge.  What happens on the zeroing range?  I've ran past it many a time and never understood what goes on there it looks more like a golf driving range than anything military.  Lots of things like the granade range I suppose do exactly what the say on the tin but the zeroing one is always a bit of a mystery.  I'd guess its a rifle range but it always seems awfy close to the road for folk firing live ammo. image
  • Options
    alison cameron 3 wrote (see)
    alison cameron 3 wrote (see)

Gairloch 10k road race 7th June 6.30pm if anyone fancies it.  Great scenery and fun atmosphereGairloch 10k 2011 entry form

• Options
    Evening all. Still in the poo with no light to be seen. Well and truly shafted.

Can the number of hours I have spent in or around that bloody lighthouse at stupid hours in the morning, freezing my arse off in the rain or snow...it was magic. A zeroing range is used to adjust the sights on a weapon in the hope that when you shot at the bad guy you'll actually drop the bloke. Normally means firing off sheds loads of ammo and spending hours after cleaning your rifle.

3 days until the Fling ultra. Excited but looking for asbestos pants on line.
  • Options
    Oh and the hours spent in the pushing rain at Gareloch.....
  • Options

Hello everybody,

welcome alison.  Nice to see you pop in with your message after all this time away.  How should we classify that post? image

http://stuffthathappens.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/spam_can_small.jpg

Markk you seem to be having a really rotten time of it.  I take it there isn't much out there and sometimes you don't want to be seen to be jumping jobs too quickly.  Having too many jobs can be as much of a problem as not having one at all when you apply for things.  How's the achilles holding up?  Do you think it will be OK for an ultra?

Watched the Real v Barca game tonight instead of going running.  Am I alone in hating Barca?  What a bunch of squeeling wee jessies.  Pepe gets halfed by Mascarano and gets up without much complaint.  He then wins a 50:50 with some wee mamby pamby and gets a straight red.  Match and tie were killed stone dead as a result.  Will somebody please tell the authorities that people like watching tough tackles and proper football.  Down with this tippy tappy squeely sh!te. image

Does anybody think after that rant that I may have had a bad day!!!!!!! image

Nitey nite everybody. image

• Options
    As of today I have loads of free time on my hands. Well and truely shafted. imageAnd because I was there less than a year I have no right of appeal. A case of my face not fitting and spurious accusations made. I'd call it constructive dismisal....
  • Options

Evening all image

Andrew Marr, Ryan Giggs, Ewan Mcgregor, Gaby Logan, Imogen Thomas & Alan Shearer allegedly walked into a bar....I'm not allowed to tell u the rest of the joke due to a superinjuction. image 

Markk that is a thoroughly pish way for your job to finish.  Hope you find something again soon and on the upside you can't find a job worse than the one you had.  I kind of know how you feel as I was almost in the same place last year at Superdrug.  I just managed to jump before I was pushed.  Maybe you shouldn't post about how much you hate your job on such a public medium like this one.  You never know who might be lurking. image

That is me off until Monday.  I'm working on the world snooker championship bank holiday on monday as I can't really justify having tomorrow, all weekend and monday off then coming off on holiday for a week and a half from wednesday night. I would work tomorrow as well if I could but I can't find anywhere open to work. image 

• Options

Good evening everybody. image

What a waste of a day.  Had a long lie, a trip to the gym becasue it was hideously windy here today, a bacon buttie when I got home (what an athlete I am), a snooze because I was knackered, watched a wee bit of the snooker and did the hoovering.  Just  as well the royal wedding highlights are on every channel again or I might  not have even got the hoovering done. image

Had last long run today before Dusseldorf.  Did 13 miles on the dreadmill which was a couple more than I'd normally do a week before a marathon but it is a couple of days earlier than I would normally run them.  It was absolutely sweltering in the gym so hopefully it will prepare me a bit for some heat in Dusseldorf.  Average temp is only supposed to be 14C in early May in that bit of Germany but it has been 21-25C all week and forecast for 19C next sunday.  Hopefully the light rain forecast for the saturday will turn up 24 hours late.  I'm not running great but I have given myself a wee chance.  The weather could make or break it.  image

Holiday to Oz is almost all sorted.  Flights sorted to and from Oz, hotel in Brisbane booked, marathon entered.  Just have to get cheapo internal flights from Sydney to Brisbane and back and my Bridge2Brisbane entry when they open.  The marathon isn't that big a race but bridge2brisbane seems huge but of a really low quality.  There are 30000 runners every year in the 10k and my PB would get me in the 1st 200 that can't be right if I run a bog standard club race here with 200 runners I have to run out my skin to get in the top 50. image

• Options
    Last home game of the season today.  Its party time. imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Points picked up since the Messiah took over in October...

Dundee 61
    Dunfermline 50
    Falkirk 47
    Raith 43
    Partick 42
    Mortn 38
    QoS 36
    Ross County 29
    Cowdenbeath 20
    Stirling 12

GIRFUYSFL 25 points wasn't nearly enough imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Morning all. Well, I did it. I managed the Hilghland Fling Ultra. Just sneaked in at the 6pm cut off at the last check point and knew that I would never finish within the 13 hour time limit, but kept going. Ended up around 30 mins over the allotted time limit for the whole 53 miles but after the pish month/ week I've had, finishing was personal for me.

Also learnt that superglue on the end of your toes really does stop blisters. Also 7 lb lighter this morning with some cracking black nails but a happy man.

Now to job hunting
  • Options
    Well done Markk.  Thta is one tough race to do.  It would be a good topic of conversation in interviews!  Good luck with the job hunting and please tell us more about super glue.  I've not heard about that. 
  • Options
    I get bad blisters on the end of my second and third toes which I broke years ago. The result is that neither of them bend properly. I read a book called Fixing Your Feet which suggested duck tape, but unless you wipe your feet down with alcohol it tends to come off after a bit. There was also the suggestion of superglue as it forms a barrier and holds everything together. Also comes off post race ok as goes brittle after about 6 hours. I've blistered slightly but no where near as bad a usual and will actually keep my toenails for a change.

Had a look at the second half of the WHW, thinking about the butters who do the whole thing. Thought "you'd never catch me doing that" then remembered that I'm doing the Devil later in the year....sob.
  • Options

By good conversation in interviews do you mean.

"why are you wearing trainers with to go with that suit?????" image

"er...........well..........I sort of superglued them on image"

"will someone send in the next candidate please" image

Good to see those west highlanders are more foregiving than in the comrades.  30s late never mind 30 mins and they would have packed up the finish and gone home!!!!  Well done on finish even though the race is a stupid race, on a stupid course, going a stupid distance and people should all be locked up for even contemplating such lunacy. Give me 26 miles or less of loverley flat tarmac anyday image

• Options
    Yes lucky it wasn't the comrades for sure or would have been well pissed off. Mind you being told I was only allowed 10 mins at the final checkpoint yesterday when I had just thrown myself down the hill to get there kinda upset me a bit.

Have the munchies very bad at the moment....
  • Options
    Why is it every time I look on weather.com it says that Dusseldorf will be another degree warmer on sunda?  The cool and drizzly saturday has been replaced with 23C of glorious sunshine all weekend. image All of a sudden the achey bit in my calf and achilles doesn't seem so important I'll be walking most of it as normal if its that hot. Not really sure what I've done but it hasn't been right since my run on Friday.  Hopefully it will feel better in a couple of days its not really painful but you can feel its not right.  Do you ever wonder why you bother to do all the training when it tends to turn to sh!t so often when it matters most.image
  • Options
    Loads of ice Can. And not for the cool drinks you're slurping in this glorious sunshine we are having.

Nothing planned until the Clyde Stride Ultra in mid July. Rest and then start training again end of the week.
  • Options

Anyone looking for a ticket for Edinburgh full marathon 22nd May, i have a spare for sale. My brother has pulled out with a knee injury.

You can get me on richman.richman.mark163@googlemail.com or 07983 435487 or mr1980efc on twitter.

Slight reduced price

Regards

Mark

• Options
    Be careful Mark R as the organisers of the Edinburgh marathon have no sense of humour and banned two runners for life for such antics a couple of years back....

• Options

Shame, as it gives another runner the chance of raising money for charity and saves the ticket from going to waste. cheers for the heads up though

• Options

Oh braw the BBC who always have really accurate weather forecasts online predict Dusseldorf will be even hotter at the weekend than even weather.com.  I may not even bother starting as another struggle in the sun on the back of my worst run in 6 years in the sunshine a few weeks ago is holding no appeal whatsoever.

MarkR I am almost tempted to take your kind offer of a place in edinburgh up and forget about the weekend unfortunately if I was to nail the race in someone else's name I'd then have to mascarade as that same person in Boston if I qualified or I wouldn't get to run with a proper time which would be even more infuriating than just blowing a gasket at the 8 mile marker in the Dusseldorf sunshine.  Thats actually quite an optomistic estimate of my capacity when its warm I managed 6 in Berlin a few weeks ago and in the marathon 2 years ago when smiffie beat me and 7 in stockholm.

Right I'm away to stuff my pus with birthday cake and feel sorry for myself.  Catch you all later. image

• Options
    Hi all

I am like the bad penny, I just keep popping up lol

Markk well bloody done on your 53 miles!!!!! A job well done no matter what the time, I can't even begin to imagine!!! Congratulations image
    On the job front, I totally sympathise with you, my hubby got paid off about 5 weeks ago, a combination of a bully boy manager and a foreign 'gentleman' telling a load of lies led to his contract being finished!!! Well and truly shafted!!! So while doing all he can to secure either another contracting job or a good permanent one he is delivering takeaways and getting what small business he can get locally to keep us going!! Good luck with you job hunt, hope you find one soon.

My god there has been some fab racing on here and even though you are never happy Can, I mean you too image Well done everyone image

I have been stopping and starting all blooming year with my training!! Had a great run at Cupar 5 mile at end of Feb then got injured again and am now trying to up my mileage and training again in time for the summer races and the Tour of Fife which this year seems to have the H word in 3 of the races!!!! image Entered The Black Rock 5 at last this year so that should be an experience!! The H at the end looks a killer!!! Even worse than the one at the start of The Milnathort Dash lol

• Options

Welcome home bungle image

No tour of fife for me this year.  I spend too much time working too far from where the races are these days and wouldn't get to many of them on time.  I have made sure I am in cupar for the milnathort dash and either the brig bash or knockhill race.  A 5:30 finish there will give me plenty of time!!!!  I never feel the hill at the start in Milnathort is that bad.  The place I always struggle is the path around the back of the farm.  Its one of those ones when you are about on red and its just one climb too many.  Nice finish though!!!!!

Bungle there are no H words in Fife AC just "slight undulations" image Smiffie knows all about "slight undulations" image

I had 3 very easy miles tonight and the ankle just about held up.   It didn't like going round corners much but felt a lot better today than yesterday.  Just as well Dusseldorf is mainly out and back with not much bends along the river.  Unfortunately that also means not much shade from the sunshine. At least I'm contemplating lining up on Sunday I was 50:50 for just going and getting sh!tfaced on German beer last night.

Nitey nite everybody. image

• Options
    Oh feck just had a wee peak at BBC's 5 day forecast as that now includes sunday and they have raised weather.com another 2C and are predicting 28C. Those are temperatures in the shade aren't they??? image  Rotterdam hit 37C a few years back and I "ran" 4:08 albeit after the race was stopped when I was a couple of miles from the finish.  Sub 3:40 (which is a couple of minutes faster than a couple of shockers in the sun in Berlin and Stockholm) looks like being my target at the moment and there was me thinking of sub 3:10 a week or so ago. image 
  • Options
    Its going to be 14 feckin degrees there tomorrow by the way and a nice 7mph breeze to keep you cool on the way out blow you home a bit in the 2nd half of the race. There is nothing worse than sh!t timing image
  • Options
    Morning all. Some good news - I have an interview for a role in Edinburgh and now have four senior individuals from my old place who will give me a reference, so there is some hope.

Loads of admin this week changing email addresses, trying to get my PAC code for me phone etc. May as well keep busy as no running until end of the week.

Hi Bungee.
  • Options

Am I allowed to post again, I ran 15 on Saturday and my reps last night..... Boston absolutely 'b*ggered' my legs image  How long to Edinburgh image

Good Luck Caniggia33, you'll be fine, he he he he he image

• Options
    Oh Can, I hope the weather doesn't turn hot for you!!! image That would do me in aswell....
    Ha ha at the undulating!!! I know for a fact that the first 3 days are uphill!!! Am preparing to conquer with plenty of uphill training!!! I'll learn to love them there hills I will......

Markk good news on the interview front, good luck image

Hey there Smiffie, you doing Edinburgh? I am planning to be there with a few work mates, to cheer a couple of pals in. None of my work mates have been to a marathon before so I am hoping they will enjoy their day out watching sweating, staggering, bleeding, crying and amazing runners crossing the finish line image Still got your mobile no in my phone if you have the same one. Would be good to see you once you've managed to beat the medal and goody bag queue lol

I've entered the ballot for London again, got the early bird offer email. Don't know if I have another marathons worth of training in me again but I want to do it one more time!!!