Options

IMNZ 2010

Comments

• Options

Hey PUP - that's some intensive training you've got going there! Must admit, I'm not so much concentrating on the speed work, more a "conditioning" training plan - that is to say, I expect to run/walk the marathon, therefore that's what I'm doing in training.

Anyways, I did a 3 hour single stint on that f'king gym bike this morning (you talk about hurty bits, PUP, I tell you, nothing like my hurty bits!!). Then this evening I did a 1-1/2 hours dreadmill session.During one of my more anal moments I started calculating approximately how many gym kms I've done in the last two weeks and I estimated around 450 - 500 (about 30-35 kms/60 mins). How sad is that? Still, I've heard stories of people doing 6 hour gym bike sessions; that's phsycotic, I'm just mad!

This gym is stated as having "state-of-the-art" equipment. Yeah right - about 20 yaers ago maybe! I'll have to take some photos and show you guys! The bike and the treadmill are ok. But I do see loads of people come in, look around, lift a weight a few times, walk out and never see them again (and there is a bleedin' good chance I would see them again owing to the number of hours I've spent in this 'king place). These people will never do ironman!

So - 5 days left in this hell hole and then back to good ole blighty. Back Saturday monring, but I don't expect to do too much then (11 hour overnight flight), but we have a half marathon on Sunday, I'm tentatively planning on cycling out to the start, which is about 35 miles!

So to matters more depressing.....

Shit! Shit! SHIT! we have less than 5 weeks to go!!!!!!!!!

I think it's fair to say if you haven't done your training by now, you're in for a tough time...... That means I'm in for a tough time!!

Make this week count everybody! image

• Options

OK, SP, if you're panicking I'm panicking too! you're supposed to be the voice of reason, dammit!

Training this weekend was good, went out with the girls from the club for a long ride Saturday - one of them was an absolute star and stayed with me for the whole of my 6 hour ride so I didn't have to do it on my own. 

Just as well she did, I got hit by a van image luckily it was "just" a sideswipe from his mirror, and I managed to stay upright despite the massive impact. He didn't even stop! What a tosser. I didn't get his reg or anything, sadly, so all I can do is hope that I broke the mirror and that karma catches up with him. Gah!

I am fine, anyway, bit of a sore shoulder, but I live to fight another day and it could have been a LOT worse.

Bloody well done on maintaining your training SP, that is seriously impressive. 

• Options

Bloody hell PUP glad to hear you're OK.

Not long now guy's image

• Options

Sounds like you are all doing brilliantly despite the setbacks. Well done all of you and KEEP GOING!

imageimageimage

• Options

http://captaingrooviss.co.uk/images/Mjones.jpg

Sounds to me like youre coming along nicely, keep up the good work image

• Options

ROTFSMSL Barley!!! image

Bloody hell PUP - glad you're ok! Next question - how's the bike?? (ok, that was my first question, but thought better of asking it first....image).

Those bloody white van men - we have loads of them in Essex too! We also have loads of little lanes they don't venture down. Rest assured PUP that he'll never do Ironman... s'funny, that's becoming my answer to everything....

I'm afraid you'll be most disappointed with me these last two days. Last night I had work in the way and tonight I was actually taken out by the guys who dragged me half way around the world! - they both have kids and the word "Ironman" was completely lost on them and the talk was more Merlot than Power Bar!

However, i did speak to another customer today, he's doing IM Austria, so lifted my spirits a little!

3 days and I'm outta here....

• Options
    Bugger - Chelsea have just drawn with Hull!
  • Options

thanks to all of you for popping on the thread to wish us luck! LOL at that picture, brilliant. Hope you will find 10 minutes on the day to log into ironman dead and see how we're getting on.

The competitor numbers are now up on the site <gulp> makes it frighteningly real! I am number 658.

The Ironman dreams have started...last night I was trying to get to the start & couldn't find my wetsuit, then I was late into the lake and couldn't catch up with everyone - they fished me out and made me stop image but then this morning I went on to do a fine 3K in the pool in my wettie and felt most fish-like and strong, so feel better now.

SP, the bike is fine, I am fine, but I cannot understand how given the whallop he gave me! As I always tell my self in these situations, I had the misfortune of crossing paths with him for thirty seconds, which was bad enough, but he has to live his whole life as a pathetic angry coward so who's the winner there...Its actually my second tangle with a van, are they AIMING for me??

Right. Off to see massage terrorist for a bending and pummelling session. I have a huge knot in my calf that she's just going to love image

• Options

I'm number 804. Yup - you're right on the button there PUP - it's getting frighteningly real! (trying to sound calm, in control and the voice of reason....).

Is that Ironman dreams or nightmares? I recall having one just before IMCH - it was the morning of the event and I'd left all my kit at home in the UK and I'd only bothered to check on the morning!

Egoman - you haven't checked in for a few days, how's it going?

And there's fat chance I'll get that IM Hawaii place, I'm in the largest age group!!

(and there's only 30 days to go)

And... and.... and...

• Options
    and....and......BREATHE image
  • Options

Bloody ironman dreams.

Last night I got "lost" in the swim and swam out of the lake and up a river where I was disqualified by a woman shouting at me in German. Even more galling, as I was disqualified I was thrown out of the Ironman accomodation, to be laughed at by two of my friends (who in real life couldn't run for a bus) who had completed in sub 9 hour. Eh?! 

Why am I dreaming about the swim so much when that's the bit that worries me the least?? It's the cycle that makes me panic when I think about crashes, flats, mechanicals, white van men running amok... The swim's by far the least of my worries. 

Sheesh image

• Options
    Interesting dreams there PUP - you're not eating cheese before you go to bed are ya??  Try thinking of something else, but your mind will love playing tricks with you now. image
  • Options
    it's pretty common to dream before, I think. My normal one is dreaming that I've overslept and have to rush around trying to get to the start -last summer at IMDE half of it came true, hubby persuaded me to sleep in my own bed instead of booking a hotel (we're only 50 miles from the lake swim) but there was so much traffic trying to get to the lake on race morning that I had to jump out of the car with my wetsuit and drinks, ended up running about 2km to get to T1 before it closed. I was all hot and bothered, the very last person to get my wettie on and only just made it into the water before the gun went. Won't ever do that again!
  • Options
    Hey PUP - if you email me via RW I'll send you my mobile number so we can meet up when we all get to Taupo.  Same goes for you Ego wherever you are image
  • Options

hey guys/gals

for some reason i dont get the email telling me there are new posts and i have not checked RW for a while so thats why i have not been active.

pluggin away trying to have some good consistent hard training before my taper

i have a 7 hour bike ride tomorrow and a 1 hour run so a good 8 hr brick. (friday is beginning of the weekend in dubai)
    i had a good swim today and yesterday.

looking forward to meeting you all.  i am going to bed now (8:30pm)

have a good weekend everyone and see you soon

• Options
    Check-in opens in 7 minutes.....
  • Options

Right! That's it - the voyage home has started. Well, I've checked in for tomorrow night's flight. The hotel, being awkward. They won't let me do a late check-out for tomorrow until 6 am tomorrow and then they can't gaurantee it. The printer doesn't work, so I can't print my boarding pass off... Meeting at 8:30. Still need to complete a powerpoint presentation!

IW - thankfully we won't have that problem with IMNZ - it would be just a little too far to sleep in our own beds and make it to the start....

PUP - you and the bike, me and the swim. Bike worries me the least, swim worries me the most. Well when I say swim I mean more that I'll be splish-sploshing in between drowning around the course!!! esp. as I haven't swum a meter in nearly 3 weeks!

Good going Ego, think I'm going to be the lame duck down there!

Oh well, better get on with that Powerpoint. Hopefully next time I post i'll be back on British soil!!

• Options
    Tonight ive mountain biked, about 9 miles per hour image
  • Options
    Oops sorry wrong thread I meant that for IMHO (I must be going blind).

Anyway, hope all is going well still image
  • Options
    LOL only you could bdo that barley image
  • Options
    No need to worry about traffic on the bike.  Although the roads are open, traffic is fairly minimal and what there was was very considerate if I remember rightly. 
  • Options

i think i am staying a small hotel called "absolute lake view"

• Options

Well they did give me a late check-out - until 3pm, so I have about 20 minutes! I've still got 38 MB of data space to use - that's nearly 2 MB a minute!

Ego - that probably means if you crane your head out the window and look to the right, you can see the lake between the smoke strack of the local chinese takeaway and the 10 storey building site to the left.

The meeting went ok, but did it have to be so early!

I'm digressing away from matters IM here...

Barley your always welcoime here mate!

Ok, I REALLY will be on UK soil next time I post.

• Options

SP - its funny, I am thinking the exact same thing!!

hope everyones training is going well.  its 4:30am in dubai and i am getting ready for a 4 hour brick.

have a good sunday

• Options

I hope that's not the case Ego!  How was the 4-hour brick? No way I could train at those early hours - does it get very hot during the day there? I'm hoping we don't get it too hot in NZ - a bit if rain for the run would be welcome!

Well now, I arrived home yesterday morning after an 11-hour flight from summer into winter and no sleep, followed by a 2 hour drive from Heathrow. Was a tad tired, but in the afternoon sun I decided that no matter how tired I was I wasn't going to miss the opportunity to get out on the bike.

Managed 20  miles, with a few hills thrown in for good measure, in around 1hr 10 ,but was completely knackered at the end! I had to try hard to keep it all in context in my mind! This morning I did a 1/2 marathon and posted a PB time of 1hr 42mins. Evidently I had recovered some! It wasn't my plan to "race" it, but I am competitive and between 7 & 8 miles decided that if I paced up a bit, the pb was on. It was flipping cold 3 or 4 deg C and the back markers really suffered as it seemed to be getting colder!

Was going to do a swim this afternoon, but that might have to wait until Tuesday. Haven't swum now in 3 weeks, so may have to go some to get back to where I was in the next 2 weeks or so.

Have a great week of training folks - we're nearly there!

• Options

Welcome back to blighty, SP image and well done on the PB! 

Egoman, as always, your regime puts us to shame! You're going to be so strong on the day.  

I've been on a recovery week this week, which has been wonderful and relaxing, just the 14 hours of training image I'm feeling very strong and this afternoon's long run flew by.

I'm a bit worried about this coming week though as I am starting my new job, have to spend 2 days away in Birmingham and my coach has informed me that it's my last BIG week. I'm too scared to look at the programme she's sent me as I just don't know how I'm going to fit it in! 

<deep breath> I can do it, it's the last big push. Boyfriend is also working away, so I can be selfish and make work and training the priorities. It's worth it. 

Happy training all!

• Options

when is everyone arriving to NZ? (i hope i didnt miss that thread)

I am staying at the "absolute lakeview" hotel.

i am flying emirates from dubai to aukland on Monday, March 1st and then will rent a car and drive the 4 hours.

my email address is csr@naseba.com

i look forward to meeting you all soon!

• Options

trogs ... are you doing IMNZ?  or are you from NZ and did IMNZ before (forgive me if you said before in a previous thread)

how many of us are doing IMNZ (from the RW thread)?

• Options
    There's just the 3 of you.  Think Trogs did this last year.