Options

Dublin Marathon

Comments

• Options
    and when we get back I have one of my own-and meeting friends for drinky poo's tue eve
  • Options
    We don't get back until after 9.30 - might have to replenish at Bristol Airport before getting the coach into town.

Gotta go - will try and get back on later.
  • Options
    late runner..

Tigerrunner 7189 estimated time of arrival
    after 26.2 miles 2.50/3.00. Might have to carry a whight penalty.

RK you have not been reading all the posts.
    Chris Morrison and Tigerrunner are one and the same guy.

Snicks found photos of Blackrock.
  • Options
    tigerruner and friends.
    Flight ....East Midlands Sat 12.30
    staying @ Abbotts Lodge Lower Gardiner St.
    Dublin 1.
    Will register Sat PM.
    Will meet at the Connemarathon Stand.
    Race No 7189.
  • Options
    Out for my last long run before the big day today, was going to do 13 but felt so good I ended up doing 15 in 2 hrs and could have gone on but this is the tapering bit. Is it always this frustrating?
    Anyone else out today? Or maybe it is just RK( see the other thread) and me, come on everyone don't go and lose interest now!
  • Options
    why did this thread end on Sat night?
    Where did everyone go....

ooooh I see, Ye all went to the pub and didn't tell the paddy eh....

I'm on the other side at the moment trying to catch up on a weekend of activity..

Running related.... I did a 12 miler this morning in probably the worst weather I have ever run in. I kept telling those running with me that the testing conditions would be beneficial psychologicly... (is that spelt wright). I hope the weather in Dublin will be ok, 2 years ago it was really wet and windy.
  • Options
    I think they're all out there, Sarcy, getting those last longer runs in.

Tapering is always this frustrating - sounds like you had a great run, well done.

I got a friendly bo**oking this morning for going far too fast. Bit rich as it came from the one guy who often races our training runs, but he was probably right. The dilemma for me is that at the start of the year i was way out of condition and running once a week in a good week. We decided back in May to do Dub, and since then I've been focussed, lost two stone (plenty more where that came from!) and just keep getting faster. Inevitably, coz I'm carrying a lot less weight. Combine that with the kind of raring to go thing you get after all this training, and I'm having real difficulty keeping all this enthusiasm and excitement in check.

Afternoon RayO, thought we'd lost you to another thread!

In bad weather I remember Daley Thompson's maxim which loosely translated says that if I go out and train when the weather's brutal it'll give me an advantage over those who wimp out.

Having said that I'd prefer a light breeze, high cloud but dry a week tomorrow if you can fix that for us please!

A week tomorrow!!! Yikes!
  • Options
    OK. Question for everyone...

I'm tapering for NY.
    Now that you have done the training for Dub, figured out your pace and finishing time... What do you think is the best marathon strategy for a PB.
    1. Go out fast because we know we'll die at the end.
    2. Go out slow and try to pick it up in second half / negative split
    3. Keep a consistant pace throughout (if poss)

My PB is 4:13 (Chicago). But my training now suggests 3:40ish (despite a 4:35 in the Connemarathon)
  • Options
    Hi all.
    did my last big run today 12 miles in 90 minutes.
    Sarcy.. great run this morning.Its great when you feel good. Gives you a good feeling that your training has gone well.

Ray O... speaking from experience I would say run as near to two equal halfs as you can. That way you safe more. Going off fast will cause you to lose more time at the end.

RK.. a week tomorrow it is mate. Now all we have to do is fill up on the carbo loading and stay free of any colds etc.

Snicks.. have you been out today?
  • Options
    RayO

Strategy - unfortunately I have to say that I've never run New York. I believe that last few miles through Central Park roll somewhat so you must save some fuel for those miles and therefore (1) is a big no-no. Don't think it works for any marathon - it's just too far, the body can't cope. Tried it several times and finally learnt the lesson.
    (2) think you need to be very brave, very confident and very experienced to achieve this.
    (3) agree with tigerrunner, go for this one. Set off conservatively, save some gas for later on. Once you've used it, you don't get it back.

I think the thing is that if by going for (3) you may find you get to half way and to 20 and feel fine and you can push on and find you've achieved negative splits.

As far as we're concerned in Dub, having read Mick Rice's description of this year's course it could happen, if we get the initial pace right, that with the last 6 miles being a steady drift through Phibsboro into the city, those of us with enough fuel in the tank can just lengthen our stride a little and pick up the pace enough for negative splits to happen.

If I'm honest that's part of my motivation to drop my initial pace from 8.10's to 8.30's. I'm reasonably sure I can do the former for 20 miles but I don't know what'll happen beyond. It's reasonable to suppose that if I slow down slightly I'll have more left and can run through.

Central Park being what it is I doubt if this strategy would work in New York.

Join us all for a drink a week on Monday and I'll let you know!! And post after NY to let us know!

After all that,
  • Options
    agrre with you richk-gonna set out at 9.00miles and see how I doing at 22 miles and then maybe pick it up if possible.
  • Options
    yeh - go Legless - go Legless - go Legless!!
  • Options
    then afterwards we can get Legless of course!!
  • Options
    oh ok I will go then :-(
  • Options
    erm - I think you may have misunderstood, old chap. This is how older people encourage younger ones these days!! ;-)
  • Options
    me too - bluff and double bluff!
  • Options
    but I bluffed you 1st ner ner na ner ner
  • Options
    Yup - you did too!

Taking advantage of an old fella's good nature like that, ought to be ashamed of yourself!
  • Options
    ashamed me???? never
    put your slippers back on and have a nice cup of tea LoL
  • Options
    <speechless spluttering>
  • Options
    Now richk - what's going on. Where should I be here, or on the other thread. Come over there, don't forget the bottle, glasses, and as it virtual I'll take up smoking again for the evening...
  • Options
    can we all stick to one thread-my cmp cant keep up with jumping between 2
  • Options
    I'm over there already me duck, feet on the table, fag in gob, wine splashed down me shirtfront.

Virtual picture of ?
  • Options
    It seems Dublin Marathoners prefer the darker side of life.... can we get the new 'DAD' thread sponsored by Guinness?
  • Options
    I'm lost.... this is the running thread isn't it? ahhhh well I guess I'm the only REAL runner around here. Everyone else seems to be compulsive smokers and drinkers.

Anyway BACK TO RUNNING!
    ahem, I ran (no scratch that) completed NY in 2000 6 months after giving up 30 fags a day... for about 15 years (Snicks: I'm giving away my age!). I finished in 5:15. A PB.... A FER (firse ever run). and since then I've run (no scratch that) completed 4 more... NY 2002 being my 6th. I'm not doing Dublin BTW. I want to run this one so I'll take your advice richk. Negative splits it is then... I'll go for a 1:50 first half and try to keep it up, (asuming that I'll breakdown in Central Park) to break the 3:50.

Why am I blabbing...
    Richk: I think we're about the same running times at the moment. I train at 7:30's on shorter runs and 8:00's for long runs. Have yet to complete a sub 6 mile though in speedwork.
  • Options
    Hello fellow Dubliners.....how much am I looking forward to the 'knees up' in the Temple Bar @ 8pm....just in case anybody forgot!!!

Have had a very busy weekend and have finally put my last big effort runs to bed and am looking forward to the rest (how difficult is it not to go out and do a long run eh??).

Sat = 20 miles, very rainy horrible weather but felt very strong and really enjoyed it.
    Sun= very naughty, went out with my coach friend and I didn't let on that I'd done the big saturday run and we did a very hill 8 miler.....I hope I don't live to regret it.

Anyway, intend to do max 3/4 miles a day and won't beat myself up if I don't get out on the odd day.

Simon has a knee injury (GASP!) he had to duck out of Saturdays long run and I doubt he'll be able to run this week, have told him to come to Dublin for the party but he is a determined little bugger!

Man City top - ummmmmm, seriously thinking of not wearing it as I am very embarrased about their performance of late but Simon won't hear of it and is off to buy me my shirt on Saturday.....oooooh the embarrasment!

Last glass of wine last night or was it a bottle so will be totally hydrated for the race but gagging for a drink at the Temple Bar @ 8pm in case anybody forgot!!!

Arriving Dublin from Manchester @ 12 noon Sunday
    Registering @ 2pm on Sunday
    Staying @ Griffith House, Drumconda from Sunday and leaving Tuesday pm.

CAN'T FLIPPIN WAIT....COME ON!!!!
  • Options
    I am still disabling email notifications... Why? WHYYYYYYYY?
  • Options
    7 sleeps to go and counting!!!!
  • Options
    just in case anyone has forgotten its 8.00pm Temple Bar-what are we going to Dublin for-oh yes-a race......get in the way of the drinking tho!!!!!!
    Wolfy-Man city-oh come on!!!!! might see you at the registration on Sun