Options

Rotary Shakespeare Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options

Cheers Tom.Here's my route.http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3475420

I was a bit slower over the first 8 miles than last week but i did the return run slightly quicker and felt strong at the end.I even managed to keep in front of a cyclist going up the last big hill.The weather was fantastic for running,cold but clear skys and not much breeze.I set the alarm for half 7 but woke up before it,such was my keenness to run.I've a 4 mile easy run tomorrow then the last winter handicap club run Tuesday which i'm looking forward to.

I hope everybody else had a good run.

• Options

Another Hill - I like your strategy for Ashby. What is your MP target?

I had a good 14 mile run this morning. I did a tempo run yesterday and was regretting it for the first few miles, but once I got past the 6 mile point I just seemed to take off. I was surprised with my pace and that it felt easy. I'm sure my body will tell me otherwise tomorrow image

• Options

Training didn't go as planned for me this weekend. Meant to get out at 6am and run a 20 miler, but my youngest son put heed to that by waking up early, so I had to tend to him. I did end up getting out a little later, and thought I would do a 13 miler instead, but alas I got 6 miles in and realised that I'd left my drinkl at home - DOH! - So decided to cut the run down to 10.

I'll have to get out for that 20 this weekend, but this means going out the door even earlier, as I've got to  be back home by 8 at the latest (the wife is working at 8:15). Don't you just love those early starts!

Great running by everyone this weekend btw!

Dave. 

• Options

crikey D2D that's speedy - you'll be aiming for a 3hr marathon then - crikey! good luck

Dave - I don't know how you get up so early at the weekend - I do the early running in the week, but am desperate for a lie-in at the weekend. The things we do!

• Options
    keep on coming Marathon No:24 will be after this event and more to come.So Bring It On???
  • Options

D2D,

Your LSR pace seems very quick indeed. Too quick.

I run my 15 mile LSRs at a round 2.05 and I can run a very very comfortable 3.20/3.25 marathon.

Be careful that you don't run your best times in training and leave nothing left for the race or that it affects the rest of your training runs.

You are obviously talented but maybe need to train a little smarter. Less is sometimes more!

• Options

Evening All

David - I'm with you on how difficult it can be to find the time for training - with a young family,  work etc.  But all worthwhile.

Colin - I wont take any credit for the 20 mile plan somebody else's but made complete sense to me after reading it.  Time wise I'm hoping for just under 3.45 but very difficult to judge. Racing wise don't do a great deal, Only marathon last September in 3.52 two 10K's in jan 46mins and 44.40secs.  Last half was back  in May 1hr49 but have improved since.  Training going well with distance but live in an hilly area which makes it difficult to predict times, Did venture out in the car for a flatish 13 miler which averaged 8.25M/M with the middle 8 at 8.15M/m which was not to difficult and going by HR about the same as Marathon Race effort.

D2D - Undecided By the pair of Asics Cumulus or Mizuno's I have.  The Lunars I have I keep for shorter distances getting to many miles into the  Asics which is my preference and they are running thin on the soles, Asics have again changed the design and I can't find the same make.

Take care all

• Options

Another Hill - I know what you mean about hills, I can thread a way around them but I like the physcological challenge they present.

I'll be running in Adidas Supernova Sequence again this year. I've just bought 2 more pairs after visiting Sweatshop on Saturday. I could have changed to New Balance or Asics but have had no problems with the shoes I have so have stuck with them. No point fixing it, if it ain't broke!

• Options
    On the subject of shoes - I was hoping to keep my current pair and use right up to (and including) race day. Is this not such a good idea? It always seems to take me a while to break in a new pair and I experience injury niggles until they are worn in. I ran a half marathon in October with my current pair so have done a fair amount of mileage in them. Perhaps I should think about replacing soon..?
  • Options

Tom,

I think you will start to feel when the shoes are past their best.  The usual rule is between 300 and 500 miles depending on how heavy you land.  I try and keep two pairs on the go when training for a marathon, so I will have a worn in pair for race day.  I did read somewhere if training is done on consecutive days having two pairs give the shoes time to recover.

• Options

Tom, I agree that if you love your current shoes and are afraid of changing them then it would be best to get a new pair now and wear them in over your shorter runs.  Then you will either have enough miles left in your old ones to wear on race day, or you would ahve worn in your new pair enough to wear.

Currently I have two pairs of Saucony Guide and 1 pair of Brookes Vapor on the go.  I will probably retire the Brooks in the next couple of weeks and buy a new pair to wear in for race day.

• Options
    Ooh thank you Barry and Super, you've convinced me.  I'm going to order the same pair I have now and wear them in gradually.  I've not had two pairs on the go before, but it makes perfect sense for marathon training.  Now, where did I put my wallet...?!
  • Options

Jenni- I can't say I enjoy getting up that early at the weekend, but at least I get to lay in on a Sunday, which is always followed by a posh coffee and a bacon butty . . . bliss!

AH - It's a logistical nightmare at times isn't it lol, but as you say well worth it.

I over-pronate, so on the shoe side of things I currently run in Brooks GT9s (I used the GT8s last year). I think that the GT8s were the better shoe, but since then Brooks have brought out the GT10s, which I believe are back on par with the good old 8s - Probably end up with them next year . . .

Done some good training this week so far with an excellent interval session on Tues (10K - 1 mile warm-up followed by 5.2 mile, split between 3 mins fast/1 min recovery). Out later today for a 6 mile tempo run, aiming for an average of 6:30 min/mile.  

Dave.

• Options
    I'm in!  Nice man sold me his place off the forum. Looking  forward to this, done it twice before, love the course and town. 
  • Options

Looking forward to this - ran the half last year, full this time... Dreading the second lap especially the last 6 miles on the Greenway!  I remember the vista at the top of the main hill being pretty good for about 3 seconds before you try not to fall down the descent on the other side!

Assume it's bottled water again but plastic cups for sports drinks?

• Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    According to official site there's only one drink station doing sports drink (at 19 miles I think?) and yes, it's out of cups. So I'll be sorting myself out I think!
  • Options
    Do you think there is any way we can persuade the organisers to provide at least another station for sports drinks, with the marathon runners in mind? I am confident that the majority of runners would agree that one station for sports drinks (in cups) seems a bit light.
  • Options

You're a scary lot, all talking about sub-4 or even less. I'll be happy to finish before they start putting away the route markingsimage.

Anyway, can someone explain to me why the Greenway is scary? It's largely downhill so what's the problem? Are there dragons? Do the spectators get to throw things at the runners/joggers/walkers/wobblers?

Cheers guys.

BB

• Options

I've never me a runner than drink out of a cup while running,especially after 13 miles.I'm sure the costs involved wouldn't be that great for the marathon runners to have bottles second time round.There is a serious risk of dehydration if it's a hot day and i'm sure the organisers wouldn't want to see people collapsing.

As for the life expectancy of a running shoe i thought it was around 600 miles.I've checked mine out and I'm up to 460 miles in my current ones but will be well over 600 come the big day.The trouble is i don't like to train in the shoes and run in a different pair.It just doesn't seem fair on the training shoes.

This hill at 19 miles seems to be getting bigger every week.When i entered the race it was only a slight hill but now it's developed a peak with a massive drop down the other side.With it still being 9 weeks away will i need karabiners and ropes?

• Options
    Howey - why not get two pairs of your favourite shoe and swap between them? That way there's plenty of time to wear in two pairs There's only one drawback to this system, demonstrated when I took two left foot shoes abroad for a marathon, ahem image
  • Options

If i did that though Luna then neither pair would be capable of running a marathon.Unless i did twice as much training obviously,but then again they'd both end up wore out come race day.

There is also the cost element.I don't like spending money at the best of times and the thought of getting new running shoes while still in posession of a decent pair would keep me awake at night.

• Options
    Howey, if you rotate two pairs your running shoes last twice as long in terms of time, 1000 miles per year = two pairs of shoes if you have two pairs or one pair on the go. And the argument goes that rotating two pairs makes them last longer, so you are actually better off having two pairs. I keep my eyes peeled for bargains and if I see a pair of Kayanos at a super low price I buy them and stick them in the wardrobe until I need them.
  • Options

When you run the cushioning compacts slightly in any shoe.  If you can let the shoe rest for a few days between runs then the cushioning recovers.  However if you don't let it rest then the next time you run you compact it a bit more and it gradually wears the shoe out faster.  So when you are doing short distances you probably don't notice it, but when you do marathon training your shoes really need a rest too.

The other advantage of having two pairs is that if one get wet then you can let them dry out propely while you wear the other pair.  It's much more comfortable than putting wet shoes back on.

• Options

I've been rotating shoes since I started running a whole 12 months ago. My initial pairs each have about 500 miles on them and are in the process of being replaced by another 2 pairs. I'm keeping the old ones going for the LSR's at the moment until I'm happy that the new ones are broken in properly.

I'll get my next set at about 400 miles in future so that I can have them bedded in well before they get to 500 miles, which is my cut off. It's not the end of their useful life, always need some old trainers for gardening, etc.

• Options
    I usually rotate a pair of shoes, after a new pair of Asics 1150's but my usual supplier is waiting for a delivery.  Early morning LSR for me today, 20.42 miles in 2 hours 32 and last 3 under MP giving me 54 miles for the week so all going well so far.
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

Nice run Barry. I'm on a bit of a cut back week following 2 weeks of 70+ miles. Feel worse this week than I did the last 2! My legs are grumbling a bit too, but nevermind. Got a nice steady 15 tomorrow, which will be a nice break from the 21 and 23 I've done for the last 2 weekends!

Oh and one the shoe debate - I'm a rotator too. In fact I'm like Imelda Markos when it comes to running shoes! The owners of Sweatshop must love me....!

• Options

I own 8 pairs of trainers at the moment - in various stages of wearing out.  I think that is more pairs than normal shoes.

14 miles with two big hills today.  It felt tougher than the 20 miler last weekend so I think I might still be suffering a bit.

• Options

Hi All

Just back from a good tough race round the Wyre Forest.

Jules - Didn't think about it at the time,  I guess it was you I chatted with,  just when were to set off,  doing Ashby as well.  I got what I wanted out of the race time wise around 1hr 12 mins.  I didn't really push myself got held up around the river bit (lost my shoe at one point) then finished the last two miles really strong and overtook quite a few.

• Options

Hi,

First 20 miler done and dusted this weekend. Felt comfortable @ average pace of 7:30m/m pace. Some good inclines at 3, 7, 10 and 17 miles which put the legs to test.

Stepping up the mileage this week by adding in a Wednesday run, which up until now has been a rest day - hoping it helps . . .

Cheers.