Great Welsh Marathon

Comments

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

just checked my email and I've got 2 responses, though both say the same:

The information for the marathon will be contained in the website
    <http://www.greatwelshmarathon.org.uk/>  which we are hopeful of fully
    launching very soon.

The limit on entry is 250 for the first year; there are places available but
    they are filling fast.

The website is useless at the moment, so no real help yet......

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Bit the bullet - based on the other events they organise, will be ok I guessimage and have entered today!!!! 
  • Options
    i will find out today if i will get in to london with my club if not i will be doing this one and JD i can do some with you
  • Options

hi everyone

just entered!  this will be my first marathon and i had visions of 249 runners racing away and me plodding along on my own at the back so great to hear there will be a few other first-timers!

didn't get into VLM, thought about Brighton but decided to stay local.

see you there!

Julie

• Options

This is really local for and like a few others gutted that the dates been moved as Ive got into VLM! Would of been a great training run and its where I do most of my long training runs anyway!

Slightly off topic, but ive seen a few mentions of a Swansea marathon/ half marathon. Anyone got any info on this. Most ive come up with is April 4th?

• Options

Hi Jellyju,

Looks like we are in the same boat!

I was actually thinking that with only 250 people there is a good chance of coming last.  But just imagine first marathon coming last!  It is likely that the next one would be a bit better.

Andy

• Options
    Mat dorn.If the swansea marathon happens then I think it will be in Autumn. Cable is the guy to answer the questionsimage
  • Options
    Swansea in autumn would interfere with Snod. entered both llanelli and Snowdonia maras yesterdayimageimage. This will be my second mara - first last week was this year's Snowdonia.
  • Options

Funny about the Swansea 1/2 marathon thing - I'd heard it somewhere so I rang the Events department at the Guildhall.  They were rather cagey and as the boss was off sick no-one else seemed to know anything but apparently he (the boss) is rather keen on setting one up.  Would not have thought it would be April though as the Llanelli half is April 7th I think.

• Options
    jellyju wrote (see)

just entered!  this will be my first marathon and i had visions of 249 runners racing away and me plodding along on my own at the back so great to hear there will be a few other first-timers!

You can't have the 250th place because it will be mine - you'll have to be 249th image
  • Options
    Looks like I'm going to have company at the back of the race!
  • Options

I have eneterd this as my first marathon in an unexpected outburst of running enthusiasm.  I expect to be among the last to complete so am glad to hear i will be in good company at the back.

over 5 months left for training less a couple of weeks for a boozy Xmas! image

I did the 1/2 at Llanelli last March so know how bad the wind could be on that coastal path, there were times i was running without actually going forward at all!!!!

• Options
    I have already arranged for it to be calm and wind free that day as I've entered.image
  • Options
    Crikey you're not wrong about the weather.  I did the 1/2 and It was the windiest I've ever exprienced and I train on Swansea sea front!   Saying that, I did the 10K there in June and it was perfectly gorgeous. 
  • Options
    The hail was the worst part about that 1/2.......image
  • Options
    Do you think it would be ok to carry an umberella if it's hailing then?
  • Options

The weather coditions at the  Llanelli half  this year was the only race i have been to where if they would have cancelled it i would have happily gone homeimage

And by the way i have not enteredimage

• Options

Another first-timer here, just entered image

Good to see there'll be a few of us fighting for that 250th place. I had visions of trailing at the back all on my lonesome.

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well I have to say all the talk of the weather in Llanneli is enough to put people off doing this race.  I entered early but wondering if I really want to do it now.  I'm hoping to go sub 3 and if the area is notorious for being very windy then that would be a very limiting factor.  Having serious second thoughts...
  • Options

Well done Annadev !!  With all the people at the back of the race it might be worth organising a picnic too for a mid race party?

• Options
    Hilly - it's very flat, so obviously that helps- ok so sub 3 dependent on weather, but position not cos we're all running through the same. Besides - it will be around 14C and flat calm for this race, except for following wind for last 8mimage
  • Options
    hi everyone just entered is the race full.and why only 250 places.talk to u soon
  • Options

Been off for a week in sunny Pendine! Everything shut so nothing to do but run!

Mat Dorn - I'm looking into the logistics of a Swansea Marathon but it won't happen overnight. I'm speaking to the right people and taking forward and backward steps. If it happens, it makes sense to have it in the Autumn to avoid a clash with Llanelli.

As for the half - there certainly are discussions. Welsh Athletics have a date of 4th April set aside, but none of the key players have committed as yet. Llanelli half is 7th March, not April, so shouldn't be a major issue.

This all started for me when Cardiff stopped its full marathon and I recognised we needed one in South Wales. Half of me wants to push on with a Swansea race, the other half wants to just hope the Llanelli race succeeds and help where I can.

Ford Man - ran the West Glam cross country - in track spikes! Was horrible in parts! Plus I still don't have the all clear from the doctor, so taking it easy!

Hilly - Have a look at reviews of the Swansea 10k. It probably will be affected in part by the weather, but it will be pancake flat - it is sospan territory after all (sorry, local joke I imagine) - so PB potential.  

• Options

I really like the idea that this is intially a small race i have been put off doing a marathon before due to the vastness of it & being just one of so many.  For the group of us who will be together for the 4 1/2 hour ish time we can pull each other through it.

Like the idea of a mid race picnic party! Or a least a jelly baby party!image

• Options

I know a few people that have said they'll steer clear while there are only 250 runners. As long as we get the 250 and show the need is there. I just like the idea of saying I did the first one - I hope I am still saying it after the 25th one!

Someone is always last! - Although I know a forumite called Cliff Face who regularly acts as 'tail end charlie' at the Kent Coastal Marathon. There will usually be someone involved who will bring up the rear and probably do the decent thing by letting anyone with them outsprint them to the line!

• Options

I loved the letter in Runner's World the other month when someone crossed the line in last place only to be asked by the steward "did you get lost?"

PS - I was thinking of bringing pickled onions for a mid-race party, does anyone have any scientific evidence to suggest if this is a good / bad idea?

• Options

DolphinFriendly - a mid race picnic/party sounds good to me, can't say I'm aware of any scientific evidence to back up the pickled onions but if it works for you.......

Haven't received an e-mail yet confirming my entry, did anyone else get one?

• Options

Hi Annadav, just checked and I got a confirmation email straightaway from events@runnersworld.co.uk

Could your confirmation email have filtered down into a junk folder? 

• Options

Annadev - I also got e-mail confirmation immediately.

Sideshowbob - that does remind me, the Llanelli 10k was a lovely day and at the time a massive pb for me.

• Options

i have also entered this one as my first big after doing some half marathons,glad to read that there will be many other first timers too!