Options

Great Welsh Marathon

Comments

• Options

Hiimage

I wish  to draw your attention to another event covering Wales, a few weeks after the Great Welsh Mara. I am sure you great welsh mararers will enjoy this too. If its on 2011 , i may enlist for your event also.

x

less from me, here is the thread

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=1&UTN=151122&last=1&V=6&SP=

• Options

Cable,

Yes, i do  remember you from the Wolves2007 thread, (if i can recall you mentioned something about starting up a swansea marathon)    image

I am also doing both Great Welsh Mara and VLM.   see you there !

• Options

Well that's reassuring!

Yes - plans still afoot for a Swansea Marathon. Generally two steps forward, one step back! Pressure off slightly having this one, but it's not the end for Swansea!  

• Options
    only 2 weeks till my training programme starts............I would love to know the route..........anyone got any info on it yet???
  • Options

Seren,  I'm still waiting to find out the route too, nothing on the website as of yet,as soon i i know it i'll go down and do a reccy of the course before the race so i know what to expect.

Cable, good luck with the Swansea Mara.

• Options

No idea! Other than what was discussed before. I reckon we'll be asked to meet in a car park somewhere, blindfolded, then driven to a certain point where the gun will go off! We'll end up in Pembrokeshire!  

• Options
    Well i hope others don't follow me cos my sense of direction is crap, i took a wrong turn in a 5k once when i was in 2nd place and they all followed me image
  • Options

Then the 1st placed runner owes you a drink! The great thing about being 'middle of the pack' is there's usually someone in front of you! (Although Wolverhampton was an exception on that isolated second lap - I stood on a crossroads for a minute or so trying to guess where to go next!)

It will definitely incorporate the Millenium cycle path, like the half and 10k. I know the organisers have been busy with a series of Santa Runs, so maybe they'll put something out soon.  

• Options

Hi all, - Starting my marathon training schedule good & proper this week (having done a couple of 10k's recently) - got time off work over christmas, and intend to use it for training, eating & relaxing! 

GWM Website doesn't really give much away - I thought they might have updated it by now?

Cable - good luck with the 2 marathons - what do you intend to do  training / resting wise in the week between both marathons? Also, I'm a Swansea lass, so would be interested to hear if anything does develop with hosting a marathon in Swansea?

Good luck everyone for training in the next few months.

• Options

Hi LTS,

I'm quite used to the long distances a week apart from training for previous marathons (although never having 'raced' twice over more than 20 miles). I have an ex Marine masseur who I'm sure will be rubbing his hands at the prospect already! As the plan is to go for it at Llanelli, it's about staying rested and loose for VLM and struggling through!

There is a Swansea Marathon thread - I'm rubbish at links though! Most likely to be a circular route incorporating cycle paths along the front, up to Gowerton, via Tircoed, Clydach, Liberty Stadium and down. Fingers crossed!  

• Options

Just entered.  I'm a Londoner by residence, but marrying into Welshness in May, so I hope I'm welcome image

I've done the FLM twice, 4:24 was my best time, and given the forthcoming wedding I hope to be training for a sub-4 hour time this year.  Will I be left behind, or are there are plenty of other 4 to 5 hour runners taking part?

• Options

Welcome AndyR.

There's quite a lew first-timers here, myself included , so I'm sure there'lll be plenty of company in the 4 to 5 hour time band.

Congratulations on the 2010 marrying into "Welshness" and good luck with the training image

• Options

AndyR,

It's not on! - these English people who come over here, marry Welsh women, take jobs, join Welsh running clubs, grow to love the place, stay long enough to qualify through residency, have kids that will compete for Wales, and cheer them on (even if you won't!), and look to start up local races!

Let's brick up the M4 and stop this man!!!!! image (My official smiley debut!)    

• Options

this race sems to be splitting into two groups.the fast ones and those betwen 4 and 5 hoursimage

Hi andy

• Options
    seren nos yn canu wrote (see)

this race sems to be splitting into two groups.the fast ones and those betwen 4 and 5 hoursimage

Hi andy

That leaves me out then, SNyC, cos not expecting to be in either group -!!image
  • Options

JD & Others - I remember aiming for 3 28 in my first marathon and coming in at 5 18!!

It's still the one I'm most proud of though as I'd accomplished far more by actually doing it, than I had by knocking off various amounts of time over the next 9.

• Options
    Good for you, Cableimage. Based on my time of 3:37 for Snowdonia, I'm hoping to run around 3:20 on the flat (weather permitting!!)
  • Options
    Me too! Then I'll be the bloke in green with you the whole way who is randomly in front of you when there's a tail wind, but behind you for head wind!
  • Options

Would be helpful if the organisers have a list of those that are taking part too.

• Options

Snow and then Santa giving me a horrid lurgy for Christmas (must have been bad in 2009) means I haven't managed a run for 8 days  image

Got the rest of the week off so hopefully back on track by the weekend.

Hope everyone else is well and training/resting is going to plan.

• Options
    my 16 wek training plan starts today...................so will run this afternoon
  • Options
    Good luck Seren. My 10 week plan for the Llanelli Half starts today as well!
  • Options

Hi Seren,  what training plan are you following & have you used it before?

Jo

• Options
    The RW website shows this marathon as now full.
  • Options

Hi All,

I am also trying to get my training going with a but more purpose, but trying to get some good long runs in with sheet ice on the ground is proving a bit of a problem.  I normally love the snow, but I am really keen than it stays away.

In terms of training I have looked at both the FIRST (3 runs & 2 cross train) and Galloway (run / walk) programmes as well as some of the more traditional ones.  Who new there was so much choice.   I am trying to combine the 2 so as to avoid overtraining (and stupidity related) injuries.

• Options

Hi all- Pete Pfitzinger's book just arrived todayimage. Think will follow one of his training programmes for Snowdon this year - and tweaked ( shortened) version for Llanelli....

Is it a record to have a race full before the route is announced?imageimage

• Options

Merry Christmas All! I've managed more miles in the past week than I have for a while, but mainly as I had hoped to beat last year's mileage (1501!) and being laid up with an alleged heart attack(!) for 2 weeks meaning no Abingdon meant I was on a major catch up - did it though.

Flying Ant - and possibly others. I'm happy I'm not insane doing this then VLM the next Sunday - looking at training runs, I've twice done a 22 then a 24 the following weekend, and both with around 30 more miles inbetween. What are your plans for Monday 19th - Saturday 24th? And have you raced 2 in a week before?   

• Options

Cable, i've not 'raced' 2 marathons 'back-to-back' before, but have run 7 in consecutive weekends (about 5 yrs ago when i was just running socially), did race 2 within 3 wks of each other in 2008 though and did quite well considering.  I may run VLM in Fancy Dress next year, not sure what yet, but it will have to be an easy costume to run in  image

My schedule for this won't be starting until the 25th Jan  (12 wks) so at the moment i'm just racing shorter distances and doing some off-road training runs to maintain fitness.

I'm still waiting for the official website to be up and running, especially the course layout, drinks stations, etc, etc.