Options

1500m Training For Masters European Champs 2010

Comments

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Moraghan - did you run at Parli Hill ?
  • Options

Yes, here's my report:

Definitely one of the most bizarre races I've ever been in.  They had a chip timing tent you had to pass through to get to the pens.  There was a bit of a backlog in the tent  which was impossible to predict from outside and the idiots started the race when there must have been 50 of us still in the tent.

Not an auspicious start as I also got a stitch on the first hill immediately after the start (I was expecting it after it started during warm-up).  I got to the top of the hill at the back of the field and got trodden on which I found out later ripped my relatively new spikes and badly cut my little toe which kept me up last night.

Apparently the course wasn't too muddy for there but it was like a bog to run in.  I got to the point where there seemed to be no point running hard up the muddy hills because it meant double the energy for a couple of seconds benefit.  A combination of that plus the stitch restricting my breathing meant I was quasi-out of breath all the way round but in an uncomfortable rather than 'race' way. 

No idea where I came or of my time.  I won't do it again and it seemed to have absolutely no relevance to what I train for.  It's like who can plug round the fastest, despite my immense respect for the people at the front of the field. 

Although to take something useful out of it - my leg strength really needs some work.  I have some hills scheduled but I think weights would be useful - but my knees won't allow it. 

I'm getting to the point where it would be nice to enter a race short enough to feel as though I was actually running fast rather than these loud whispering competitions I keep entering.

You?

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Also cocked the start up by being in the tent, spent 3/4 of the first lap stuck behind the fat and the slow. Rach always says I do well in crap conditions as I am a bit stronger than a lot of runners but I didn't enjoy it. The first lap cost me a minute at least and the 2nd lap I was annoyed. Lap 3 I spotted some people I usually beat and got enthusiastic so chased them down. Ran about 62 mins and could have kept going at the pace I was running.

Reminded me a bit about being in a fun run.

I got a good workout and won a Park Run in the morning :¬)

Did 18 today so a solid weekend.

• Options

That's some good volume Gobi.  I think the overall effect of your weekend's running will be very positive.  I hear rumours of a marathon?  I already know you're mad but you've infected young Tom with the madness!

I'm not good in mud, hills or at long distances so i was up against it starting in the tent as well.  I'm always on time so I was more than a bit fucked off with their obstinance in starting the race when they could see the runners in the tent, when the bottleneck was, essentially, of their doing.  As it turned out it didn't matter but I'm sure there were some quality distance runners like yourself for whom it ruined the race.  Even I was still overtaking the old and infirm in the second lap.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I am indeed doing the LA marathon which is a little bit sooner than I had planned to return but training has gone well in the last 2 weeks and it is a free holiday :¬)
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Moraghan.....didn't know you lurked on the sub 3 thread. Any more of this nonsense, and I'll start leaving abusive messages on the Cunning Runts* site image

* best blog I've read in a long time

Edited to take offence at that "old and infirm" remark
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Tom - do you need a coco after all that stress :¬0
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Gobi - naah.................but ask me again in twelve weeks time

Funnily enough I saw your name the top of the list of a set of marathon results this afternoonimage
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately if it is Shakespeare that would be 2nd two years in a row :¬(
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Session tonight was tough

7 x 4 x 100 off 30 seconds with 2 mins between sets Hard but controlled.

17.5/17.5/17.4/17.6
    16.6/17.5/17.5/17.6
    16.5/16.6/16.2/17.0
    15.7/16.6/16.4/17.1
    15.5/16.4/16.3/16.6
    15.5/16.2/16.4/16.3
    15.9/16.2/16.3/17.0

Reps were under 800 metre pace which given the stop start nature and my inability to pick up quickly from stationary I am quite happy with this.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Pyramid time for me last night

rep - Time - rec
    200 - 0.36.5 - 70
    400 - 1.18.1 - 140
    600 - 1.57.2 - 140
    800 - 2.36.4 - 140
    600 - 1.57.7 - 140
    400 - 1.11.7 - 140 (98% effort)
    200 - 0.31.3 - 70 (100% effort)

Target was to make sure I was under 80 secs a lap no matter what the rep, pushed on during the last 2 reps to see what I can really do when tired. Target for this session later in the season is to be under 75 sec per lap no matter what the distance
  • Options

That 100m session looked tough, the start / stop nature is supposed to be good for developing power but makes it very hard work.  That's an awful lots of total volume for quicker than 800m pace - how did the legs feel the next day?

Pyramid session looks like a nicely designed session and well paced to. 

I had a 5 * 800m @ 3k pace on tuesday with 400m recovery.  It was quickly apparent my legs hadn't turned up.  I ended up being pretty slow so concentrated on reducing the time spent to cover the 400m between reps.  Think the legs were tired from saturday's race and the new set of physio exercises I was given on monday.

Apparently the various components of my lower body all point in wrong and contrary directions when I run resulting in twisting and therefore my knee pain (as well as my left achilles and sometimes plantar pain).  This is due to a combination of weakness and inflexibility.

The physio (he was excellent by the way and recommended) showed me the correct knee postion in relation to the foot plant and toes.  Even just standing I was unable to do it because of my lack of ankle flexibility.  Without knee pain I'd never have known my biomechanics were so f*cked.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Moraghan - good news on the physio diag.

Happy with how things are progressing to be honest, legs next day are always a little tender but they do 90 mins on the turbo anyway, they don't run until the next evening as I have not gone high volume in the runnning yet so they seem to deal with it.

Impressed that you knew to just accept you were tired and improvise the session. Sometimes it is hard to accept you can't hit the numbers. Coaching kids I spend a lot of time talking about race effort rather than race pace.

I may be on light duties for a few days as I hit my ribs off a railing when I lost control of my bike yesterday. They feel a little sore but I'm off to the Time Trial anyway and will see how they feel during the warm up. I can jog and move ok just HARD efforts may feel uncomfortable. Shall report back later.

regards
  • Options

Sounds painful - hope it clears up soon.  Was it a youtube moment?

I was ambushed by a pit bull yesterday who ran down the slope from my blindspot and jumped up at me ("10 ME109s, out of the sun").  Fortunately a ridiculously friendly one but I had to stop as it wouldn't leave me alone.  It isn't the dog's fault it was the gormless owner who just shouted and made no effort to come and get his dog.

When do you go high volume or are you sticking with the current mix of biking / running? 

I'm trying hard with the acceptance of crappy workouts and focus on effort.  Yesterday I had planned to do an 11 mile run including progression of 7 miles at MP / Half MP / Tempo.  It just wasn't happening as I couldn't even maintain MP - so I did MP effort for 7 miles.

A few factors this week - physio exercises (glutes were throbbing by the end yesterday), bit of a cold, last sat's race and looks like I'm on course for about 80 miles this week.  As you can see, the excuses are in full flow!

• Options
    did 4 x 800 metres at the track 2.31-2.33 with 2 mins recovery between
    then 1 mile at 5.19 after 3 mins recovery
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Moraghan - total youtube moment :¬)

Ran 17.22 at the time trial yesterday after a very cautious start so know that it is just bruising.
    Sounds like you were nearly liked to death :¬)

I shall be staying largely low volume and Xtraining my way through 2010.

SB - those are good reps, what is your 800 PB ?
  • Options
    gobi i am 42, my pb for 800 having had a brief flirtation with the distance in my 20,s is 2.04.
    however last season my pb was 2.12.03 when i did 2 races, i know i can hopefully smash that this year, been doing Moraghans drills this year and felt the benefit of them yesterday, feel i have more spring in my step
  • Options

Good workout sawney.

Nice race Gobi - hope the ribs heal quickly.

I've resurrected the blog again at www.cunningrunt.blogspot.com

This week: 

M: a.m. 3m recovery
    p.m. 6.29m easy.
    T: a.m. 3m easy
    p.m. 10.6m easy w / drills, strides and 5 * 800m at 3k pace with 400 rec.
    W: a.m. 3m easy.
    p.m. 9.64m easy w / 6 * 100m strides.
    T: p.m. 7m easy.
    F: a.m. 3m;
    p.m. 10.38m easy w / 7m at marathon effort.
    S: a.m. 3m easy
    p.m. 3m easy - cut short because of back pain.
    S: a.m. 14m easy out / steady back, ice bath.
    p.m. massage

Total Mileage: 75.91m.

Odd week.  Hurt my back on friday and everything was a bit slower than usual.  I think it's due to a slight cold and all the physio exercises I am having to do - they are knackering.  I've now completed the 9 weeks of Phase 2 of base and averaged 64 miles per week.  Reduced mileage week next week - only 9 weeks of base to go before the real fun starts.

Tried an ice bath today and managed 15 minutes with 1kg of ice.  Very painful on the feet and cheated by not letting the ice melt before getting in. 

• Options
    just did 2 miles of drills on beach followed by 2 miles in the sea calf length in water
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    SB - nice times, leaving me for dead over 800 :¬)

After yesterdays surprise at the TT I ran XC today and off another cautious start had my best run of the year. Funny how things work. I hurt a little but it is manageable.

Moraghan - odd week indeed :¬0
  • Options

A nice weekend of racing Gobi!

Cutback week today - coincidentally my cold now seems to have come out, good timing I suppose.

It's the first week of Phase 3 of base.  In this phase I will be reorganising the week a little as an experiment and concentrating more on speed.  I will also be pushing the end of non-quality runs a little more.  The following refers to non-rest weeks:

M:  Basic speed alternating weekly with 800m pace work.

T:  Easy

W:  1500m pace work or hills.

T:  Mid week longer run.

F:  Off / recovery

S:  Endurance based running (tempo / vo2 maintenance).

S:  Long run

Early morning runs (execpt long run and recovery days) will remain hyf and at 3 miles until I've proved to myself I am ready for more.

I have a 5k on the 14th March in Baltimore,USA and then a semi-peak for the British Vets Indoor 3k on the 28th March.

I plan to establish my ideal racing weight for the race on the 28th march, so have started watching the diet.  Using Tanita bf scales these are weekly averages (6ft 1.5"):

W/e 24th Jan:  160.5 lbs, 5.8%

W/e 31st Jan:  159.7lbs, 6%

W/e 7th Feb:  158.75lbs, 5.33%

• Options
    6ft 4 inches- 164lbs, been that weight since i was 18 years, can eat what i like, when i like, just polished off fried liver, onions, homemade chips and an egg and still starving, too much fat probs but i am scottish and i was really looking forward to liver
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Oh god, no wonder I am the slowest

5ft 9 and 168lbs

I use to play Ice/Roller hockey and spent years in the gym. Oh and I like food :¬)

SB - I was born in Scotland and don't like liver :¬)

8 x 150 tonight started slow around 26 and finished with a 22 each rep a little quicker. Recover was 2 - 2.30 as we walked back.
  • Options

Gobi - the 800m sessions I referred to earlier will be 8 - 10 * 150m @ 800m pace with 250m jog recovery.  That's for the next 4 week block.  Sounds like I'm on the right track.  I love this sort of session.

The last 4 week block of this phase will be 2 * (3 * 200) @ 800m pace with 100 jog between reps and 400 between sets.

In the past I have raced successfully when 156lbs on the morning of the race.  I really want to experiment between 151 and 153 before the real racing season starts.  I'll look like an accelerating twig!

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I really am the fat lad :¬)
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    tough session tonight on a cold windy track
    400/800/1600/800/400 recovery was a jogged 400(2.20)

78/2.48/5.43/2.46/76

Between the wind/cold and tired legs never got up to speed BUT I did get a very good workout.
  • Options

hi moraghan

if you have time could you have a look through this schedule which i will be starting in april for the track.

I am 1500/3k runner and I am looking to run 4;00/ 8;45 for this season. i want to peak from wk 10 to wk 15. after that i would like to improve either 3k/800 time in the end of july and august 

Many thanks

Each week I will also do 2 runs of 30 mins and longer run of 60 mins. after a 30 min run i will also do 8 100m acceleration runs as you have suggested.

Wk1 800m- 6 x 300m @ 43 secs    3 min rec

1500m- 2 x 3 x 400m @ 64 secs   same rec as rep time, 5 min btw sets

5k-  6x 1000m @ 3:10  2 min rec

Wk2 change of pace-  3x 3 x 300m 1st 3k pace , 2nd 1500m pace, 3rd faster than 1500m pace Rec 100m jog, 400m jog btw sets

1500m progressive- 5 x 1000m @ 2:57 rec 4 mins

3k- 6 x 800m @ 2;24  rec 90 secs

Wk3 close to 800m-  2 x 3 x 400,300,200 (4 mins, 3 mins, 2 mins) 4 mins btw sets

1500m- 2 x 4 x 400m @64 secs  same rec as rep time, 5 min btw sets

3k race

Wk4 3k/5k/10k pace-  1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1 pyramid- 90 sec jog btw each

1500m progressive- 4 x 1000 @2:50 rec 5 mins

1500m race

Wk5 change of pace- 200, 220, 240, 260, 280, 300. 200 at 1500 pace. Add 1.5-2 seconds each successive rep. 300 should be at 400 race pace or close to it. Jog back recoveries.

1500m- 4 x 600m @ 1:36 with double rec of rep

5k- 5x1000m @ 3;05 3 min rec

Wk6 1500m race

4x400 @ 59 secs  4 min rec

1500m race

Wk7-  3k/5k/10k pace-  1,2,3,4,4,3,3,2,1 pyramid- 90 sec jog btw each

1500m progressive- 3 x 1000m @ 2;45 rec 6 mins

3k- 5 x 800m @ 2;20  2 min rec

W8- 1500m – 3 x 800m @ 2;08 double rec of rep

5 x 300/100-  300 @ 48 sec 100m full out    3 min rec

3k race

W9- 3 x 1000m 1st 400- 62  next 600- 1:45  5 min rec

1000, 600, 400, 300, 200   5 min rec

3k- 5 x 800m @ 2;20  2 min rec

W10- 1500m race

5k- 5x1000m @ 3;05 3 min rec

W11- 800m – 4 x 400m @59 secs   4 min rec

1500m first championship race

W12-  3k/5k/10k pace-  1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1 pyramid- 90 sec jog btw each

3 x 200/200/200/200- 1st 200m- 34 secs 2nd 200m- 32 secs 3rd 200m- 30 secs 4th 200m- 28 secs  5 mins rec

3k- 10 x 400 1 min rec

W13-  800m race

5k-  5k- 5x1000m @ 3;05 3 min rec

W14- 1000, 600, 400, 300, 200  5 min rec

3k race

W15- 10 x 150m strides

1500m big race/championship

• Options

Alright again lads!  - must stay with this thread more often!

last Thurs at Track pyramid

200 - 0.40

400 - 1.20

800 - 2.37

1k - 3.17

1600 - 5.17

then came back a bit faster I think  - can't remember the rest apart from 63 for the 400 and 30 secs for the 200, so getting in the right direction

Yesterday 5 x 1200 on the wet grass, first 2 4.05, second 3 were 3.57 each.

Good to see all trying to get some speed in - pissed off that its snowed again here in beds, might cock up the track tomorrow image

• Options

staffs - got some tough workouts ahead mate with ambitious goals, both of which are great! 

Random observations....

First observation is that you have no LT work in there and are still doing VO2 max sessions.  From my point of view you should be trying to maintain both LT and VO2 early in this schedule rather than just VO2. 

Second, on your major race weeks I would include some race pace reps, but keep the recovery fairly long and the reps short.  Think of it as fine tuning your race rhythm without knackering you out.

Third, I think you have omitted one type of workout that will be crucial.  That’s a race simulation workout with very short recoveries which will help develop your power and tolerance.  An example for 1500m would look as follows:

-       2 * (5 * 300m) @ 1500m pace with 20 second standing recovery and long rest between sets. 

-       2 * (3 * 500m) @ 1500m pace with 40 second standing recovery and long rest between sets. 

-       2 * (3 * 400+1 * 300m) @ 1500m pace with 30-45 second standing recovery and long rest between sets. 

My suggestion would be to use these instead of your later season VO2 max workouts.  You've been working on vo2 max all year and I don't think it's a wise investment of your time to keep thrashing away at them.  Don’t worry it won’t disappear.

Fourth, have you considered doing some 400m or even 200m races to develop your speed?  You could substitute them for a short speed session perhaps.

Fifth – I think you will find the 3 * 1000m @ target race pace very, very hard.  Don’t get despondent or give up on your goal if you can’t complete them all on target.

Finally, I have a feeling that if your wk 10 to wk 15 is truly a peaking period then you are working a little bit too hard, i.e. too many lengthy  workouts that will rob energy from the races.  To a certain extent you need to have confidence in the training gone before and concentrate on rest, racing and short quality.  You could for example race a little more often in place of the longer harder workouts (such as wk. 13’s 5k pace session – far too late for that sort of thing IMO).

Simon – looking good, the 1200’s are at current 5k pace I presume?  What were the rests in the pyramid workouts?

I upped the speed a little yesterday.  Instead of the normal 10 * 100m fast relaxed I did 4 * 100m fast relaxed and 6 * 40 accelerations.  (Plus one 200m @ 800m pace at the end).  Today my legs are extremely sore, God knows what the DOMS will be like tomorrow!  It’s all good though and shows that the accelerations are stressing muscles in new ways.

• Options
    Simon - just looked out of the window and seen the damn snow on the ground. Hills for me on friday by the looks of things.