Options

Benefits of using Udo's oil?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    "I'm astonished you can live on so little food (and so little protein)."

that's just today's diet - I have plenty of protein on other days.....duck last night for instance with veg and pasta........

over the course of a week, my diet is pretty well balanced but this week I'm cutting back as the exercise levels aren't there due to injury/illness

tb - pill poppers - yes agree. it's too easy to go to the GP and get yet another pill than look at the root cause of the problem and many GPs are to blame by taking the easy option themselves and writing a script rather than getting the fundamentals sorted. vicious circle.

and you have to also accept that without an awful lot of modern pharma drugs, life would be pretty intolerable for many - think vaccines, antibiotics, anti-malarials, contraceptives etc. - the drug companies have done some good.

hey ho - this is a huge issue that books are written about and careers are forged.......but good fun to debate it!
  • Options
    Regarding pill poppers, everyone seems to be looking for a quick fix with little effort on their part. Its not just big pharma companies that selling their product in these ways, its many nutritionalist quacks as well.  Lets face it, if your eating McDonalds every day no amount of dietary supplements will protect you from the consequences.  The main thing you need is a balanced diet, on top of this you can add supplements.  To paraphrase something I read once (i think it was in the US runnersworld mag), you need a healthy diet to supplement your supplements. 
  • Options

"and you have to also accept that without an awful lot of modern pharma drugs, life would be pretty intolerable for many - think vaccines, antibiotics, anti-malarials, contraceptives etc. - the drug companies have done some good. "

Vaccines are about the only thing there where they haven't outright nicked from nature, and even they are a play on our natural response to viral attack. That's the issue for me - if natural compounds are being studied, and re-manufactured slightly differently so that they can be patented and put in a pill, then why not just use the natural compounds in the first place? Drugs have come to the table a lot further down th road than our diet has after all. The old "medicine be your food" ideology.

IMO it would be fantastic if there was a way to turn around the "patent" issue - if pharma companies could research, say, flax oil, and once they had a certain unique clinical trial to themselves only they could then make those claims, that would be great. Doubtless it would be terrible for my industry, it would pretty much collapse given the investment  that could be applied from other sources, but it would be better for the country. It would also give the chance to put to bed the "western" vs "alternative" side of things - if all the research was coming out of the same pot, then the recommendations would do too.

You never know, it might make people actually think about what they eat..! Of course the government could always heavily subsidise fresh fruit and vegetables - a weekly shop full of good food can be cripplingly expensive - a crate of rubbish from iceland can be yours for a tenner.

Timeout - yep, diet, diet, diet - fully agree. That said I'm currently only eating about 60-70% healthy, change of weather/daylight has brought on annoying desire for lazy food... image

At least I found out last night that I've got a test session at the local rowing club, so hopefully I can finally start getting some decent exercise under my belt!

• Options

Shockingly informative and intellectual thread. Well done all you clever peeps. Makes me wish I'd studied sciences now....image

Great recipe PhilPub. Any more?

• Options
    "why not just use the natural compounds in the first place"

don't get me wrong I agree but the chemical enhancements they have made to many of these compounds have produced better actions - and have helped ward off resistance (think penicillin and it's successors - but let's not get into a whole different argument about overuse producing resistance in the 1st place!). there are still some exceptional natural compounds out there that do great jobs - digoxin, paclitaxel and vincristine to name just 3.

anyway we are digressing

good luck with the rowing test - rowing's a great workout when you've cracked the technique
  • Options

Hah, yes, the resisitance aspect would get me talking about silver, the original antiobitic that, as far as I am aware, has never met with resistance, and the research into which was mainly dropped once patentable stuff came along... image

Yes, I think we may be!

Thanks - I used to row at school as a lad, ~14hrs a week training... don't think I'll be doing that much again by a long way, but I'm hoping the technique will flood back once I pick up the oar. A few hours a week will be enough to sort out my fitness I'd of thought, though I also anticipate a month of training out of the water if I do get in so my fitness at least approaches that of the other members.

• Options
    ah silver - great surface biocide and is now built into many products to reduce cross infection as it can kill bacteria on contact. you can get anything from food chopping boards to hospital beds with silver built into the surfaces to reduce infections.

from a medicinal point of view though it's not so easy to get it to the site of infection and does have some toxicity issues I believe. modern antibiotics generally replaced the use of silver........

as for rowing - how will the spondylitis cope with that??
  • Options

Adding my sixpennyworth - yes, I agree with most of the above, but also find it a bit over-generalised. Anyone who knows me (not just on here but in real life), knows I'm an exercise junkie who eats a healthy diet, plenty of grains fruits and veggies, not a whole lot of meat, and some fish, I don't smoke, and drink only occasionally. I don't own a chip pan.  So how come I have naturally high cholesterol? Simply put, I produce too much and I'm a risk because my whole family has history of bad cholesterol, high blood pressure and heart disease, my mother's BP was 200/110 when diagnosed and my father died of a stroke. So my doc has me on statins this year and my cholesterol has dropped from 242 down to 170.

Today I have had:

muesli with a banana and low fat milk, 1mug of coffee without sugar (hate sugar)
    plain water to drink

A wholemeal roll with sunflower seeds for lunch, with a slice of low-fat cheese and 1 of turkey and a couple of tomatoes.

Tonight's dinner will be couscous with a little olive oil lots of veggies, and a poached salmon fillet.

Then I have a bike turbo workout to do and a training session with my dogs.

• Options
    IW - that initial level is not that high in reality compared to many who suffer from familial hypercholesterolaemia. they are in the 300+ mg/dl range and often over 400 (goddam why don't the Germans use mmol/l like the UK??)

your exercise levels will have meant that your cholesterol levels haven't shot through the roof and it's also likely that you'll also have a high % of HDL cholesterol which is also good as a side effect
  • Options

You'd be surprised as to how effective ingested silver can be FB - mostly absorbed in upper GI tract, so not too much disruption of bowel bacteria. But yes, a lot easier to see external applications at work. Toxicity in the form of Argeria (you turn grey/silver coloured..) is typically resultant from poor use of low standard solutions - even then it's extraordinarily rare.

Hopefully it will actually benefit my back - like I said I'm symptom free at the minute, and anything that encourages range of motion & muscle strength is a good thing. I met a sufferer who didn't exhibit a single sign of the condition until his mid sixties - 3 months after stopping his daily swim.

IW - did they give you an oxidised LDL count? That's the important bit. As I said earlier, high cholesterol is associated with a longer life, it's just when it starts getting damaged that you have the issues. If your diet / lifestyle is as you say it is, I personally wouldn't be hugely concerned.

• Options
    In Germany, any reading over 200 is counted as too high. My last check showed the good cholesterol was low and the bad was higher.
  • Options
    If they haven't given you a breakdown of oxidised LDL, but your ratio is screwed, then better to follow on with their reccs.
  • Options
    tb - I don't think testing oxidised LDL is yet routine in many labs - they're happy doing total, HDL, LDL, trigs, apoliproteins etc and if the ratios are shit it gives the clinician enough info to warrant intervention......

and it sounds like IW's LDL/HDL ratio was bad enough to warrant a statin even at 6.5mmol/l which would be seen as borderline for a statin normally. lifestyle changes could reduce that if there is no underlying FHC or a poor diet

the problem for many with FHC is that they are often unaware of it until disaster strikes and in the terminally ignorant and obese that often happens very young when it can be prevented if they looked at their family history and took exercise and ate a healthy diet...

anyway - rant over....