Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options

britnick.t rex? anyone?

haway lads...its nearly lunchtime..just back from a cheeky early riser seven round the lake with the pooch..lovely..time for a bacon sandwich i think image

• Options

Far too early.

Off for another Category A Long race this weekend, otherwise known as the Brighton 10k.  Expecting tough extremely flat conditions on hard-going tarmac and pavement. Some brutal stretches up and down the prom. I'm okay on the flat bits, just a bit worried about trashing my quads on the .. other flat bits. Still, I'll dress up warm, take my camelbak and some ginger nut slices to keep me going when it gets really tough, at about 5k. See you all after the weekend! image

• Options
    Good luck on the 10k LM At least you haven't mentioned the horrendous down-slope sections.
  • Options
    Greg CGreg C ✭✭✭

Collie Dave - I'm new to running but have done some long distance walking challenges - Welsh 3000s/Lakes 3000s. I might have a go at running these (or part of them....) now, particularly the Welsh one. A guy from work did the Old County Tops fell race last year so that might be one for the future, though I'm not sure of the entry requirements and I expect it's a big step up. Of all the training I've enjoyed the off-road more, especially Moel-Y-Gest when I'm at my caravan near Porthmadog image

At least Snowdonia 2010 is in the diary image

It seems a long time off though so could maybe do with another target to aim for ealier in the year.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

luna man - you'll need all the advice you can get from that article in this month's RW about how to negotiate kerbs.  There are also tips on how to run round bends.  Good luck!

Greg C - you want lots of targets.  The more you have the more likely you are to hit one of them.

I've got a plan sometime in my life to run the Welsh 3000s, but in a circular route, not point-to-point as people generally do.  It will involve starting on Elidr Fawr and finishing on Snowdon.

• Options
    greg c - sounds like you're already in the thick of things. its only run /walk which personally i find easier than running a marathon (at times)
  • Options

10k for me on Sunday too, good luck with yours LM, hope weather is not too grim!

Trex, that sounds like a dream run-my favourite ever part of the world is Welsh 3000s.

Did Wainwrights Coast to Coast last year (walking) and have wondered about the logistics of running it next time- it was a fantastic experience but would like to approach it differently image

You guys are making this off roading sound shithot-but I fear I would get lost. May have to look at getting some sort of tech friendly GPS watch after all having survived Snod training with poxy Garmin 50.

Best trail shoes....? Gulp, now what world am I entering?

Cheers for now

Brer

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    I haven't found the perfect trail shoe yet.  Or any running shoe for that matter ...
  • Options

Hey TRex-are you doing Cornish marathon this weekend?

Brer

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Sure am.  Some people argue it's hillier than SNOD, but I don't reckon it is.  Can get round the course about 10 minutes quicker.

So this time it will be Bodmin Moor, heavy rain showers, 25 mph SW.  But I'm wimping out into a B&B.

• Options
    Good luck those racing this weekend - no racing for me until, probably, Snowdonia 2010 - 2009 was going to be my final race until a very kind person entered me for the 2010 race (I've got to find the right time to break it to my wife!!). That said I really enjoyed the 2009 race and it has given me my running mojo back!
  • Options

what next t rex? you'll be lording it up in an actual hotel! good luck. dont get blown away

jb - glad it put a smile on your face

brer - im planning on doing the c2c in 2010 in 7 days..aided by my pooch of course

trail shoes..cant fault my trebbuccos for long distance. they're not a fell shoe but the cushioning/grip ratio for ultras for me seems spot on

happy running everyone. its a bit tasty out there..best go and try it out image

• Options
    Trail shoe - I love my Mudrocs. Should be fell racing right now - but am sitting at my desk in work - can only get better. Will compensate tomorrow.
  • Options

poor you SZ..i wont rub it in that i had a lovely muddy hilly run out this morning or that i'm about to go out for some lovely cross country for seconds

damm...i sais i wouldn't rub it in!

• Options

You'll get yours soon enough CD - signed 'The Fuhrer'!

Anyway I'll be out some where tomorrow with the hound (who is getting a bit plump and lazy)

• Options

Good luck to all running - jammy sods!! Good luck with Cornwall, T Reximage

Seems my injury is not in my achilles, but in the bottom of my calf muscleimage, so should be back shortly - not for a while though as still giving me bit of grief walking. Gonna wait till it's 'A O.K.' - in the meanwhile, have put on around 2 pounds in last weekimage. Anyway, back to the glass of wine and the roast dinner!!image 

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Well, I suppose I'd better get my head down.  Got to drive to Cornwall in the morning and do this marathon wotsit.

Making four exam papers, all overlapping in a horrible sort of way at the moment.  Just finished writing a report online for one of them, deadline today (well, yesterday).  Got 1500 scripts here in various stages of progress - it's about equivalent to a day's entire output from a small comprehensive school.

You not up yet, CD?

• Options

here i am t rex

you still up?

loving your marathon prep..which book did you get it from image

• Options

image You lot have weird body clocks!

JD: I've had a little calf niggle since Snod which has made my running less enjoyable than usual.  The rain has stopped me cycling but the lack of exercise has not stopped me eating those lovely gingernut thingy's that LM introduced me too (yummy thanks, especially with some added chopped hazelnuts)...and I'm pretty sure the damage is worse than 2lb but I'm chosing not to investigate!

SZ: I was talking to one of my colleagues Fri night about your op as she's had the same thing back in February.  Successful op but quite uncomfortable procedure apparently.... it was quite funny saying 'my mate's having that op too' when actually I've never met you at all! lol!  Anyway...just wanted to say good luck with that!

JB: Thanks again for the dvd xx

Brer: Hey hun, how's the legs? sounds like you're flying.

Well the sun is poking it's head out down this way, so I'm getting the motorbike out for a spin...catch y'all later

• Options

.....as  a big black cloud floats across and the heavens open!!! feck!!! image

• Options

4 seasons in 1 run today..bet your bike ride was, shall we say, a 'climatic experience' FF

sleep deprevation helps with ultras especially when they either start very early or go into the night..that said i'd rather sleep just an one or two more..but then i do tend to bob off early doors

http://scienceblogs.com/aardvarchaeology/chicken192.jpg

• Options

lol! I'm not sure why that picture has tickled me or not....

..... I'm sure there is a caption that could go with that!

'Charlie chicken was saddened to find his baby brother didn't make it'

'Charlie was annoyed at the prospect of having to share his x-box'

'you need to make a hole, for god sake, you couldn't fight your way out of a paper bag!!'

....sorry....I'll get my coat....

• Options

Hi all, hope everybody ok.

CD-C2C in seven days, my god that is going some. Is that on the traditional Wainwright route and would you be having a support crew with youimageimage. It's almost a marathon a day isnt it?

Anyone heard from TRex-hope weather improved for him today.

Hi FF, legs ok matey but did 10k pudding race thing today in 48 mins and it felt tough so I reckon there must still be a bit of marafun left in them. OH asked me how it had gone when I returned and I just said ' give me Snod anyday'!!!! Who would have thought I would say that a year ago.

Clowne Half in a fortnight, I'm going to adopt TRex's preparation methodology and see if that improves thingsimage

• Options

My new years resolution is to change this stupid picture on my postings. Got to get me head around it though as have tried a photo but it told me resolution is too high.Any ideas folks? Or, anywhere I can get a piccie from that will work.

Cheers

Brer

• Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    BR you got photoshop or similar??
    try saving the photo using 'save for web'...
  • Options
    ooooo Panad-dont know if I have. Will look when I have had bath-diolch
  • Options

ff - i was just simply trying to convey the notion of ..do i get up mega early because i bob off early..or is it that i bob off early because i wake early

but either way the dog wants a bone

brer..hoping to do the classic wainwright with a mate or two..wk 1 of training complete...only about 30 more weeks to go image

• Options
    Still injured and not running, but been reading FITC - only halfway through  and feel so, so, so, humble.....