Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options

Still no running yet image, was going to plod round a half tomorrow with some friends but I'm not going to chance it, not looking forward to an 11hr flight at the moment, fly out 7am on Monday so I still have some time to recover yet. Going to try and get some runs in while I'm away image

panad, Snowdon mountain race is very good give it a go but it's not a fell race, Arch, easy terrain? did you see the St Johns tent at the end image it was like a scene from MASH. 1 dead 2 airlifted.

DE Auld Langs Eyne, done it the last couple of years, really enjoyed it, last year I had to pour tea on my shoes to defrost my laces to get them off, entry sent off for this year and am keeping my fingers crossed, no on the day entries just shows how popular fell racing is getting, Andi Jones has also won Snod mtn race the last 3 years, are you doing it?

Can't stand cider - on Cobra for the next 2 weeks image

• Options

Hey Tom, what's up? Are you injured? 

18 miler done today in not as nice scenery as two weeks ago! But, it was drier for a while. 10k for me next weekend but I cant remember how to run fastimage

Enjoy weekend all

Brer

• Options

No running here either, lurgy dragging its "sticky" feet, I've had the sore throat, aches, chesty cough, headaches, squits, leaking nose and now I'm in the protracted stage of spitting up pocket watches. I seem to get one of these a year at about this time, probably a combo of hard summers training hangover, meeting cold nip in the air. Last year I was ill midweek, okish by saturday so did XC on sunday, pretty much broke down at 1/3 distance, ill again next week image So this year I'm avoiding the XC... though gutted as I love it. I'm sure what I need is a few beers tonight? I'm sure others would agree?

Toms - Its was chilly last year at ALS, I used the pic when climbing out of the valley with cold mist around on my blog. It was surreal weather with that thick frost everywhere. I'd argue some other years with windchill have felt colder. I'm sorting my hitlist for next year now, and Snod mountain race will be on it, maybe the Ben too.

Re. Deano's UM Man, I read somewhere that it was a bit "the big I AM". If thats just one opinion and not too true, most others like it I'll give it a go.

• Options
    off to the KFC stadium tomorrow de? jimmy b making his home debut..got to be worth at least a point.
  • Options
    tom S- I didn't want to put panad off! I did notice lots of injured runners this year. Do you think the fact that they have made steps in the path for much of the route is to blame? I can't stand the section from clogwyn down, the steps just don't fit into any stride pattern!
  • Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭

don't worry I saw the TV coverage (and know the llanberis path to the summit well!) - esp the commentary bout some of the guys looking like they'd had a bad night out in wrecsam image

not sure I'll be too keen on those steps on the way up either come to think of it...

• Options
    T Rex wrote (see)
    safety pin - two main drawbacks of  WHW Race for me are the need for a motorised back-up team and midges. 

No need to worry about midges - sure thay will be provided for you!!imageimage

Didn't do Rhobell fawr today - family day in Aberystwyth instead - so near and yet.... Actually great fun, especially with my 3 year old lad - throwing stones into the sea and running away from the waves - image Allowed to do local 6m trail/ xc run tomorrow - 6m around reservoir, ending with a very steep run up the dam wallimage

• Options

brer - no injuries - just the lurgy not quite as bad as DE only squits, stomach cramps and general tiredness, taking anti malaria tablets at the moment so not sure if it's the side effects.

DE I quite fancy a go at the Ben myself, not sure how hard it is to get in though, just checked the Woodentops website and I've got myself a place in this years ALS.

Ref Snod mtn race, I think the steps might have some bearing on it, it was difficult getting into a decent stride and also the walkers a lot of them were just oblivious to what was going on around them or just ignorant.

Enjoy the run jd

• Options

cd - I will be, better be worth it if I'm risking another week in the sick bed. Lol at K FC. JB has been seen in pub my parents and bro frequent, app a nice guy and decent professional, doesn't drink himself stupid or do the "big I am" thing.

TomS - I'll look into Ben Race entires, its not while September so plenty of time. Hopefully see you at ALS, form in post tomorrow.

• Options

A quiet Sunday on here, hope you're all recovering a bit from all this lurgie or out training for SNOD.

I'm back from a fabulous little 11 mile loop of Corn Du and Pen y Fan from the Neuadd reservoir. Misty on the very tops but otherwise beautiful views from the ridges. Some nice climbing, and pretty firm terrain despite yesterday's rain, although I'm not popular in the house at the moment for getting in the bath with my Innov8s on to clean them - ahem! The trickiest bit was the slippy and very rocky steep stepped path down to Blaen y Glyn.  Looking back at that talk of fell race categories, I guess this one was Category A distance M, if you trust the Garmin (unlikely) but it was all nice and slow. Blisters on big toe - think they might affect my cider training.

• Options

Long walk, stagger, hobble for me today - 6.5m trail race - achilles strain after 2.75m  - no drop out possible or checkpoint-- so had to hobble and hop and walk around in 1:02 - couldn't put any weight on it after race, but can hobble around now - it's point where tendon and calf muscle meet- parts of run ok, couldn't do uphill though, parts made me scream out loudimage Hope won't be too long an enforced rest, but don't know, as no experience of this....... Did have a bid achilles tear when I was doing track which put me out for 6 months, but this seems to be just a bit of a strain....?????

Biggest surprise was that I walked 2/3 of course and lots finished after me ---???image

• Options

JD sorry to hear of your injury get well soon. image

Conwy half marathon for me today, and what a wonderful race. Superb weather and a great route. image

I'm sure this is a possible PB route even with the climb round the Geat Orme (seems that the time lost going uphil is more than made up for on the way down)

My legs felt like lead by mile 4! still too early to be racing after Snod 2009! managed 1:27 though so I was quite happy image

Highly recommended for 2010.

• Options

jd - maybe you should take up speedwalking then image hope its better today

lm - i can see your oh's point. a bizarre vision either way!

as - nice one. i'd take that with another 20minutes on it right now. did you see safety pin?

de - still hungover? great comeback. worth a celebratory bargain bucket anyday image

• Options
    Nice one a s - the road around the Great Orme is one of my favourite running circuits - used to run it at least once a month, but only run it once this year (I very rarely work that way now) - although that was for the Nick Beer race
  • Options
    Had an very enjoyable day in Conwy yesterday. Really enjoyable race, lovely weather, great views etc. Think i finished in about 1.44. Had some really good fish and chips in Conwy later, as nice as I've ever had. Took my trunks for a swim in the sea but thought better of it. Forgot what a great place Conwy is. Will definitely be back.
  • Options

Jason d - rest it - get it right.

T-rex - You're well read, there again you are the fountain of all knowledge!

lurgy weekend for me - no running, however rest consisted of two  long days rebuilding my decayed chimney stack. Countless times up and down ladders carrying tons of bricks mortar and debris -  treated myself to equal amounts of grub and lashings of red wine in the evenings - Cold nearly gone - and will be up for a leg stretch tomorrow!

Also results of MRI scan of clavicle 7 tonight - fingers crossed.

Well don Conwayes!

• Options

sp - I can also recommend Conwy fish and chips, though don't ak me which place I got em from. Middle of town place at a small junction with tables to eat in, day after SNOD.

Good subject, best ever fish and chips? for me Magpie in Whitby, best, if overpriced.

• Options
    I can also recommend Conwy fish and chips, though don't ak me which plaice I got em from bum bum
  • Options

imho if you want proper fish n chips head to the east coast..start in yorks and make your way up to northumberland..you wont go wrong

i grew up on the ne coast and i still go back there for one thing

de - bob carvers aint that bad though south cave chippy about 15 years ago was hard to beat

what i can say is cheshire/staffs is pants in this department

• Options

SP...can you post that ginger nut recipe again.  I know I could go looking for it on Snod 2009 but if you have it handy, I remember it looking really scrummy but I was too exhausted to pay too much attention.

The only time I eat fish and chips from the chippy is when I get them from the shop on Lee on Solent sea front and eat them from the bag on the beach.... pure comfort!

Just back from club run and I'm still struggling a bit.  Feel like I have lead in my boots!

My club do a video of their 10k course each year, and I've been asked to be in it this year....FF is gonna be famous image

Get well soon Tom!

How far South do any of you get with your running? 

Next race for me, Saab Salomon Turbo X Borden....I do love a dirty one to end the year image

• Options

FE - don't know if SP had another recipe, but here's the ginger nut one I posted on the 09 forum:

Ginger goodness:

• 1 1/2 packets of ginger nuts (depending on size of your packet, no sniggering)
    • 1/2 tin condensed milk
    • bit of butter
    • bit of sugar (not too much)
    • sultanas/raisins/dried fruit as you wish 
    1. Pound the biscuits (tip: do it in a teatowel or something or the bits of biscuit just go flying everywhere, which is fun but not useful)
    2. Heat up condensed milk and butter
    3. Add nuts, sugar and sultanas
    4. Let it cool down pressed flat in a tray
    5. Slice it and eat it!
    Tried it last weekend with apricots and took it up Pen y Fan. Two slices in two hours and I was sorted!
  • Options
    http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/2192/750pxacdfcoronalenglish.png

That sore throat I've had is about to get a bit worse - MRI scan confirmed above -  
    http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7097/300pxacdfsurgeryenglish.png

Procedure to fix it is above.

It'll stop me running for a bit. Bum! 

• Options

Thanks LM. I was wondering all last night if I had posted a ginger nut recipe in a drunken haze one night. Will try this at the week-end. Looks good.

Sorry SZ. That looks painful. You'll soon be back faster than ever.

• Options

lol! I'm such a silly cow!!  Thanks LM...sorry SP

...and SZ...OMG!!!! Thats a bit drastic hun!!! Do hope you're ok! Hell!

• Options

Ouch SZ, you poor thing! Glad it's diagnosed, but I don't like the way it looks like they'll chop your arms off too!

• Options
    And the top half of my face LM! (Some people will find that an improvement - cosmetic surgery)
  • Options
    image good gawd, but think of the weight loss, you'll gain valuable minutes in races! In fact, if they really are removing some discs, will you lose weight? (I failed O level biology btw)
  • Options
    I could do without being an inch shorter!
  • Options

SZ - Ouch, I wish you well for that, at first I thought the metal bits were going to be left in image

CD - Bob carvers is pretty good, spoiled for chippies in Hull I guess, hence the "Capital of Corpulence" thing a few years back. Still, its good to be good at something. Unfortunately S.cave chippy isn't great these days.

• Options
    ...what were you doing in South Cave?