Options

Wokingham Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options

I did the Marlow Half the other weekimage & I'm looking for inspiration to run again!! Maybe this would be ideal, seeing as it's reportedly a flat courseimage!!

I might be able to cope better with this than I did the Marlow course!! Plus it's local as wellimage.

• Options
    All back to yours for coffee after then Chippywhite? image
  • Options

ooo

Did someone say "post race social" - coffee, cake?? image

• Options
    Oh definitely put my name on a bit of post race cake image
  • Options

I'll have to have my name put on a piece otherwise it'll all be gone by the time i finish. image

• Options
    Lady Wot Jogs wrote (see)
    All back to yours for coffee after then Chippywhite? image
    It's a lovely thought!!!..... but I'm not too sure I've got enough cups to go around!!!image
  • Options

Lol, not a problem.

Where's Muttley, he started the thread, he must know a coffee shop where we can all meet after.

• Options
    I haven't seen Mr Fuzzy Eagle on this thread yet but he's a local to Wokingham.  Either he'll know of a good post-race venue or we can go to hisimage
  • Options
    I'm right here, but I live in Caversham and don't know Wokingham ... sorry!
  • Options

Actually I  should have fezzed up image ...that whilst I'm local, I didn't actually mean Wokingham 'Local'........I'm more out Reading way (south side of M4). So I only know a  little about any watering holes in Wokingham itselfimage!!!

Sorry!!!

PS. Sent off my entry form today......see from the website that as of the 11th Nov they are already half full!! Hope I don't miss out!!. Got my training program all sorted out, start tomorrowimage.

BTW. Anyone recommend a reasonably priced running watch (for men!!)?

• Options

Garrsmate - you looking for company at 1.23 pace??  Did 1.24 at Cardiff on loads of twists and turns.  Wokingham is much slicker...sub 1.24 defo for me.

Socially - there's a pub half a mile from the start by a school where we'll be "encouraged" to park.  Not sure what the name of it is but very friendly and landlaord got the first round in last time round.

Must sort my entry out soon.

• Options
    DB9 - I am nowhere near at the moment.  Just about able to run at 7 minute mile pace for 5 mile.  I have a lot to do over the next few months, and Christmas isn't going to help.  My pb is 1:26, I know I have 1:23 in me, but I have to become an aff-er-lete again to do it.

Anyway, sure if I'm anywhere near on the day I'd be happy for a bit of company, but don't let me hold you back!
  • Options

GMN - You're right about Christmas, New Year celebs and any other reason/excuse for a few calories..

Have gotta take every opportunity I have for my goal of 1.22 something so get in shape and join the train.

Actually completed my application last night so a step closer wahoo!!

• Options

Very impressed by some of these time targets being mentioned. My big half marathon target for the spring is sub-2 hours.

Been plodding for 8 years without ever taking it seriously enough. Now that I'm getting on in life (52), I've realised that it's now or never to get better, so have got serious about shedding a load of excess weight, and giving it a real good go.

Reading half is the big target, but am also in for Wokingham, so may be able to have a stab at it there. Wokingham is a better PB race, but might come just a little soon. We'll see.

DB9 -- I like the sound of that pub! Can you recall the name or location?

• Options

Running Commentary

Yes, I can now.  If you look on the race website and follow the link to course maps you'll see a map that shows parking at Embrook school.  Literally right beside the car park/school is the pub.  Think it is the Embrook Arms. 

I'll be getting to the car park early enough, maybe stay overnight in Wokingham/Shinfield.

Good luck with your training and I'll be the one asking landlord for a pint of post race scrump!!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ah this is 12 weeks away now!

Got a pb of 1hr 22:53 at MK last march, and ideally would like to be better than that on what people tell me is a better pb course.

My struggle is to get enough longer, ie 10miles or so runs in, as I generally do 50miles a week in 4-6milers..ie 11 runs a week or so.

However, doing a 10miler ona  day off tomorrow, so here goes the start of the training!

Now I have a GPS watch it's always a bit disturbing to see I'm "Only" doing 7minute miling over short distances, whena  1hr 23 is about 6:20 a mile over 13miles!!

• Options
    Yup, that's the problem with getting one of these fancy speed and distance doohickeys. The first thing you find out is that your favourite 6-miler at 7-min miling is actually 5.4 miles at 7:16 miling ....
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

luckily race day always seems to bring a return to top speed.

i certainly don't wear the watch ina  race..just a stopwatch will do. same with heart rate monitors...don't want somewatch telling me i'm not working hard enough when I'm knackered!

• Options
    Muttley wrote (see)
    The first thing you find out is that your favourite 6-miler at 7-min miling is actually 5.4 miles at 7:16 miling ....
    Are you sure about that Muttley?    My Garmin doesn't seem to go below 9:16 miling, for some reason.  image
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

well..10miler done..in a slightly disturbing 1hr 22!!

so that sub 1hr 23 in 8 weeks looks on!

To be fair it was at the Lookout in Bracknell which is very hilly, all woody and muddy and done in a slow sauntering fashion with a chum.

Started the day with an absolutely eye watering streaming cold, but it actually went after the run! Good work!

• Options

Stevie G - may well tail you for a bit in a PB attempt.

Good session yday btw. 

X training today...ok bit of painting..may go out to the post box later.

• Options
    re: post race watering hole:- im not particularly local but I know a few people who rate the Broad Street Tavern highly.  It's in the centre of the town.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

750 places left...am waiting for my mate's postal entry to be confirmed on the list before I do mine online.

I'd imagine that will be more instantaneous....

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

was awaiting my mate's confirmation, sent by 2nd class post (!) 10 days ago first, but the words nearly full and 2000 already in, with a limit of 2750 mean I'm not gonna risk it...am entering online now!

Looked at the site...the start looks ridiculously narrow !!! Like 4 across at the start..with 2000+ runners...that's one monster bottle neck.

Has that been changed? Someone please tell me it has.

• Options

Stevie G

I am in!

Start used to be the other way i.e. wide and then narrowed so you started and then stopped.

I ran this race this year, rescheduled to May due to the Feb snow - over 1000 runners I think though made it.   Start was not too much of a bottleneck as it soon widens out.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

at least it stops you starting too far forward as the front guys will be doing 1hr 5 or so!

I've put down 1hr 25 on the entry list. Did 1hr 22:57 last year at MK, but don't as a rule train with long runs, so not sure how it's going to transfer.

Last races were a 29:38 5miler on a flat course and a 37:18 10k on a course with a 1k hill up (and thus down at the end too), so hoping to be sub 1hr 25 at least.

• Options

My training for this is progressing nicely - up to 10 miles now.

I'm a bit like Lady Wot Jogs - none of my timing devises goes much faster than 9 min mile pace!

• Options
    Yah, well done Andy.    Don't worry about the mile pace, we can't help it if we've got duff Garmins image