Options

Wokingham Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Erm, chaps, when I was talking about Garmins showing 7:16 miling I had in mind Stevie G aksherly, who is a bit of a racing snake. Not me. Definitely not me image
  • Options

But you are going to win aren't you Muttley?  image     I look up to you and admire you image  I'd be soooo disappointed if you didn't WIN image

• Options
    andyp, are you doing the Lakeside Canal run too?  
  • Options

I've not entered yet LWJ, although I am interested.

There's talk of a few of my work colleagues doing a race in somewhere like St Albans (Stalebuns) on the same date.  I think their bravado will wane and I'll go for Lakeside instead.image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Racing snake! Nice.

no update from the 17th Dec on the website but they were up to 2375 then. With a limit of 2750 and 4 days since the last update...could well be very close to full now, having said the last 400 went in 3 days last year!

I'll just be pleased when the darn snow goes so some proper training can take place!

• Options
    I ditto that stevie about the snow clearing.     My running has been going so well lately, so i made a conscious decision not to go out in the snow because I don't feel i would run naturally. 
  • Options

Ditto LWJ...12 on Sunday felt like I was plodding in snow shoes.  Don't mind the slush.  Nice trot last night though - The lanes had thawed out and made up a little pace with a 4m in the fresh snow coming down.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

just done 4miles in about 8mins a mile. Not sure if that's beneficial in the slightest! Better than nothing I suppose.

High Wycombe has weather so bad that John Lewis here had to put 70 people up last night..sorunning in the evening isn't a goer at all.

Hopefully it will go by time I'm off for 11 days  from mid aThursday on...otherwise will have to just circle round the park infinite times and bore myself rigid!

Oh for the days of summer where you don't even need a top it's so nice!

As for Wokingham...no update since the 17th...surely it's full now!?

• Options

I stupidly turned up for the Reading Park Run on Saturday - not bothering to look at the website to see that it was called off on Friday.

I was full of "running beans" so I went home and then ran 6 miles along the canal towpath.  It wasn't too bad but I don't think I'd attempt a run out now that the snow is much deeper.

Do you know how you get when you're all geared up for a run and you just HAVE TO run..... image?  Well that was me!

• Options
    Oh dear andy, well at least you got a run in.
  • Options

Hi all. 

Signed up for Wokingham yesterday so still places left. Looks like a nice one so looking forward to it!

Yep, snow's a pain for the training. Roll on the spring!

• Options
    Simon - I'm no expert, but i suggest you don't wait until spring to start trainiing image
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

got a double in today...of sorts...a slow 4miler at lunch...and a very slow 4miler in the evening...both on snow dredged fields...tough going! Still...good to get this in as can't run tomorrow due to stupid work meal!!

Hoping by thursday it's back ok again...please!

• Options
    LWJ, wish i could wait till spring to start, i HATE running in this cold!
  • Options

I've had time off over the Christmas period & was sooo looking forward to getting in those training runs......but then I went down with man fluimage......and having recovered from that.... it snowed!!!!image

Please thaw so I can get out.... no way would I dare go out on the pavements at the moment.

I've only seen one person in the last few days be brave enough to attempt running in these conditionsimage & he looked like it was an effort just to get any decent grip!!!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

saw some guy today running on the roads...must be a nutter... ive done my small meagre runs on trail or parkland....and he was wearing normal trainers too..incredible!

Trying not to look forward to Wokingham at the mo...only did 3miles today in 30mins...trying to re-assure myself it's the snow and not me!!

Well...snow, hard woodland, hilly, trees fallen down on my route so I had to stop too.,.doesn't help!!

• Options
    I managed  a 10 mile run today - a loop along the A4 and then back home along the canal towpath.  The towpath had some very dodgy bits still so I made sure not to get too near the edge!!
  • Options

Missed this event due to injury last year, and I am very much looking forward to it - even though its coming up way too fast!

6 miles for me today, slow but steady!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

well done to both..im a little envious

my 11 days off work are proving to be frustrating so far....only a 4miler today..done in ludicrous slow time due to area still being really icy meaning road running isn't a choice.

Nothing like hills, woodland and fields to drain any kind of pace away!

• Options
    Stevie G - just look at it as a good way to build stamina image
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Tru say Andy P.

Roads were a bit better today..managed a 7miler. Very slow (relatively speaking), but I always tend to forget at the time key factors like running up woody hills, dressed up in thick layers not running friendly like a fleece and tracksuit bottoms so baggy they fall down every 2 secs (!), that nothing is riding on it, and my penchant for forgetting to eat any decent carbs when I'm off work!  So with all of that in the bargain pleased to have got 7miles in!

150 places left according to the website, although they haven't had any postal entries in since the 23rd apparently, so once they get the postal backlog cleared could well be done!

No sign of my 2hr 55 New york marathon mate's name on the list. Will be a shame not to have to lose to him at this one!image

• Options

hmm

I seem to be in good company with slow runs....so frustrating.  Didn't do miles Christmas day but 16, 3, 10 and 8 yesterday to make sure I scrape 2000+ for the year.  Whoever said it is right...Wokingham is coming up a bit too quick.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

hopefully back on track for this one now, 7, 10 and 8 last 3 days, around 7min miling, so should be under 1hr 30 at the least.

Hopefully somewhere near the 1hr 22:53 of last year's MK race

must be very close to sell out now

• Options
    Stevie G - what's the MK race like?  Some guys from work are cajolling me into entering that one on March 7th.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Andy,

MK is nice and flat, so is a pb course. There are a lot of turns and a fair few small underpass rises that are about the only reason it wouldn't fit this bill. There's a section past Willen Lake that I can imagine can be pretty windy, but last year this bit was fine, and it was actually a section near the end on a dual carriage way back to the Open University building last year that was the windiest.

For a race of 3-3,500 you can pretty much ensure you're in the correct starting pen quite close to the start, and the field isn't cramped at all. I think a few people moaned about parking, but take the normal precaution of arriving early as it was 100% fine for me.

The route isn't overly picturesque, but that's often the trade off for a pb course. The lake adds some scenery and is generally varied enough to keep you ticking over.

A much better runner than myself that I know, a 1hr 13 half marathoner believes Wokingham or Reading are a couple of minutes quicker than MK, but it's always easier to talk times than to achieve them!

Personally having done Sillverstone 4 times, Wycombe 5 times, Marlow twice and Burnham Beeches twice, I found it really good to just do a fresh race. I found the finish to MK quite good as well, as you don't see the finish until about the last 200metres, it's not one of these dreaded races you can see the finish from miles out when you're absolutely battered!

• Options

Hi all, i second that Stevie G, i did MK last year and the scenery wasn't great, it is well run though, not quite as quick as Wokingham, if you want one a little hillier try Watford in the first week of Feb, in my  opinion its better than MK.

Anyway i see this one is now full, looking forward to it, a big pb beckons!   (i hope! image)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

have got a couple of decent runs in now, so am starting to think this one will go ok now! Never quite know with half marathons until they start though.

Have got used to doing a lot of 10k and under distance races, so it will be nice to be able to run each mile a bit slower I suppose!

Depending on how this one goes I might add another 1 or 2 halfs in March and April, as this is earlier than my normal yearly March half. Would seem odd not to do a half in March otherwise.

But I do have this every year thinking I'll do a stack of half marathons, then a few miles into the first one think, this is why I only do one!

• Options

Thanks Stevie and Mee Meep.

I've done all of those you mention (Marlow was a killer for me).  I did the first ever Silverstone in 2003 too.

The MK will be a new one for me, and a number of guys from my work are doing it so it will be a "social" event too.  It fits neatly between Wokingham and Reading in terms of dates so it'll be interesting to see if there are any improvements in times.

• Options
    I managed 3 miles in the snow today - wasn't too bad - but the wind was biting!
  • Options
    I managed about the same on Thursday, tried to get out again on Friday, but just kept slipping so came back after 1/2 mile.  Having been out since and starting to get a little worried now image