Options

Halstead & Essex Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    CC - I will have to make sure my hubby takes a photo of you in your new gear. 
  • Options

Ha ha! image It's not so much the vest as the short shorts.....

Just always seem to look a bit camp! It better bloody be sunny now otherwise I'll have to wear my tights.....

• Options

Good day all,

I am in, this is my 5th marathon of 2010 and i need to be quicker than 4r hrs 4mins. I used to worry about being sub four, but on reflection 4 hrs 3minutes will be ok.

In all honesty I am looking forward to this as it is local, i live in Kent, and drove home (with help from my wife) from Blackpoool on sunday afternoon after posting a new pb of 4 hrs 4 mins. 

My club colleague (Sir Custard...) was interested in running, come on down and i will happily buy a beer after the event etc..

I will be checking, posting etc over the next few weeks, but good luck to all

Keeno

• Options

Why you up at 3am??

I'd love a time of 4.04 - I'm going to be nearer 5hrs as training has been shitte - good job I know what I'm letting myself in for.  PAIN.image

• Options

Hi all,

Just entered after doing Rotterdam on Sunday. Now looking forward to this image.

• Options
    Managed some longer training runs, even tried a 20 miler on Saturday. Survived with no ill effects so looks like I'll be there! No PB expectations just happy to run (and finish, touch wood!). Can't wait.

Hope everyone's injuries and niggles are clearing up in time.

Hey Flynn, can we get our RW names on race numbers again this year, or was that a cool one off in 2008?
  • Options
    Blueski35: I believe that this year there will be names on race numbers as usual. As for RW forum names, I don't believe that this is being done this year.

(I'm not the Entries Secretary this year by the way)
  • Options

Alan mate, do you think you're doing too much? I think you could run a better time if you had a bit of rest. Just a thought...image

• Options

Afternoon,

I was posting at stupid o'clock because i could not sleep and thought i would check out the forum for my next marathon after finishing with Blackpool.

My times for the marathons that i have run are listed below and i appreciate that i might be running too much, i logged around 130 miles in March alone.

There is a reason, i am running 10 marathons between January to October in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support. If anyone would like to see what i have done or have planned please go to http://mrkeeno.wordpress.com - I am yet to post about my Blackpool experience but will get that online over the next few days,

I am looking forward to the race and meeting some fellow runners.

• Options

sorry my times

London (2008) 4 hrs 8 mins

Thanet (Sep 09) 4 hours 33 mins

Gloucester (Jan 10) 4 hours 18 mins

Cambridge (Mar 10) 4 hours 7 mins

Cotswold (Mar 10) 4 hours 32 mins

Blackpool (Apr 10) 4 hours 4 mins

Fairly consistant but would like to be under 4 hours at some point.

• Options

Very consistent Alan well done!!

Really looking forward to this. Race was off for me for awhile due to work but all change and should be there nowimage

Last week of hard training for me. Planning on a 22 at the weekend then taper timeimage 

Lovely touch names on the numbers.

Hope everyones running is going to plan

• Options

Fair Play Alan, 

That's a hell of a challenge but I'm sure you'll achieve it. 

Good Luck, and you hope stay niggle free.image

• Options
    Hi I'm supposed to be running Brighton on Sunday but I've been ill all week and still not 100% now so I reckon I won't be going image. What's this one like? How undulating is it?
  • Options
    touie2touie2 ✭✭✭

I was really looking forward to this as my first marathon but i have been suffereng from IBTS for the last few weeks so a good time is now out of the question, I'll probably have to run walk it image

Has anyone got their race numbers yet?

• Options

Well, I should have been running the Boston marathon tomorrow, but with no flights, I'm stuck in London.  image This looks like "the next best thing!" so I've just entered. I'm going back home to Norfolk today, to review my training plan.

Please can I repeat the question - how undulating is it? If I did 4:21 in London last year, what are the chances of doing sub 4:15 here? (For someone who is not very good going uphill!!!)

Thanks.

• Options

Hi Gill, sorry but this is undulating (love that word not) image - getting hubby  to drive me round it later to remind myself of the up bits.

Did 18 today and included a lot of hills that I think are worse than Halstead - my ass hurts

Gill this is a great marathon to take part in even if you don't get a pb, you  wouldn't want to waste that training.

• Options

That's terrible, Gill, but well done for bouncing back so positively! Have you been able to defer? I would havebeen tearing my arm off in frustration . . .

One year I did both London and Halstead in the same year - did 4:30 at London and 4:16 here 3 weeks later. All depends on your fitness and, probabaly more important, the weather - hope for westerly winds and a cool breeze!

It is undulating and therefore a challenge, as TL says, but it's not hilly (2 short sharp ones early on). You have to run well within yourself and save energy if you can - it's not a course to attack!

• Options

Completed Bungay Black Dog Marathon this weekend, now bring on Halstead image

Anybody get a link to the course elevation or should I not be so lazy and go to the website?

• Options

Hey Gill - like you I've been unable to get to Boston for the race today - how galling is that?  I'm watching it at the moment and feeling quite sick with envy.  But enough of that..

Entered this when I got back from London late Friday night and felt I shouldn't let my training (which hasn't been amazing) go to waste.  Felt awful all weekend - pity party - but now I'm fired up again and think it will be good. 

Undulating?  Slightly worrisome..  I've run Stamford 30K twice and liked it - anyone know if it's better or worse?  

Are there pace groups?  

• Options

Hi all,

Just entered online.

Realy looking forward to another Halstead marathon.

Hope everyones training is going well?

• Options
    Glad you're going to be there mate. How is the training going?
  • Options

Dieselgirl - sympathies - know how you feel. What an emotional weekend!

(Boston is not like London where you can defer for a year.)

Now I'm focussing on picking up the mileage a bit this week, having tapered down. This'll be a new experience for me - country roads and undulations? Just hope the weather is kind.

• Options

Not liking the hill concept either, but it can't be as bad as Gloucester earlier this year.

I have one or two planned training runs left but nothing over 15 miles.

looking forward to the run now

• Options

Gill - it has been up and down for me - you? Re deferral email me at petraduguidatgmaildotcom as it looks like they will this year. In fact - you can defer every year - you just have to do it in time,like London.

Sorry everyone else - that's the last Boston talk I'll bore you with. 

The rating for this race is so good - do you think it's a fast course? 

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    The is a lovely race. Not a fast runner so cannot say if it is a fast course. I beat my London time last year thou.
  • Options
    Hi,
    Despite a tough race last year, thinking about coming back for more punishment this year. Main motivator is the new good for age times for London..

Any ideas how close to being full it is? Preferably would enter on the day to see the weather and how my niggles are...

Aside from your own 3 bottles, will it still be cups of water / orange this year on the course ?

Stephen
  • Options

Just done Brighton marathon, which was superb.

Looking forward to completing my 2nd ever marathon at Halstead..

Any tips on how I should train over the next 2 weeks, bearing in mind the marathon I did on 18th April?

Cheers

Mark 

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Mark - I did London and then Halstead last year. I am a slow runner, but last year I did a 3 mile on the Thursday and 4 Friday after London and then nothing until the day and I got a faster time at Halstead. So far after doing Brighton last Sunday I have done, 1 mile on Wednesday, 2 miles of hll work with the run/walkers at my club on Thursday and 4 miles today.

How do your legs feel?

• Options

Hi Tracey G

Thanks for that.

My legs feel good. One tiny niggle at the top of my right calf.

I guess I need to prepare  for some hills.

I think I might do some 5 milers in the week and a 10 next sunday followed by a 5 then may a 2 .

I did brighton in 4.55 . I went of too fast. 2.05 for first half. Then 2.55.

I hope to be a bit more consistent this time.

Are you doing halsted again?

Mark 

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Mark - Yes I am doing Halstead again. Your plans sounds great, 10 miles is long enough as you have already done all your training runs for Brighton.