Options

Who's still getting their legs out?

Comments

• Options
    I also stand outside my front door and 'test' the cold but only to see if I'll need another long sleeve on and some gloves as its shorts in summer 3/4 in the winter. Double the socks though!
  • Options

I must admit, I now use a hat to keep my head warm, but I do cut my hair to grade 1  image

but always shorts.........no matter what the weather. I use one of those gore windproof tops and although it is a single layer, and not thick at that, it keeps me warm once on the go. although pricy its a good bit of kit and seems to regulate really well althrough the run.

• Options
    I wear shorts in the summer, 3/4 in the autumn and long tights in the colder months. I also wear gloves in colder months as my hands freeze!  I find that if I dress nice and cosy I look forward to getting out of the house. This morning I had on long tights, trackie over it, short-sleeve t-shirt, long sleeve tech shirt, and a running jacket on top, with thick gloves, and then 15 minutes into the run, I started to strip off - down to t-shirt & tights by the end of the run but gloves firmly on.
  • Options

Always wore shorts until a few years ago when legs developed what looked like fine razor slashes! This was during winter and was caused by frosty weather. Since then I have worn running tights and now moisturise.

I always wear shorts for races even in winter when I expect to be faster than in training. 

I cannot believe minimal clothing some girls wear but they do have an extra layer of body fat!

• Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    "Shorts in winter are for manly men, tights are for girly girls."

Erm...so I'm a manly girl? image

I did wear longs when it was -4 the other morning, but overheated when I did the same the next day coz it had warmed up. So back to shorts ever since.
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    oh and I wear glubs every time coz I don't want manly hands...
  • Options

Shorts all year round. Admittedly jacket, gloves and hat though since about a week ago.

Took a mile the other night to get my legs and knees to want to move, but after that everything was good.

• Options

Shorts every time although I have taken to wearing gloves on my runs. Seems to keep me much warmer - must be psychological?

I love the looks as you run pas the bus stop wearing shorts in the snow. Hilarious, some people look at you as if you're wearing nothing at all!

• Options
    must be 15 years since I last ran in trackie bottoms - since then, it's shorter shorts for warmer days and longer ones when the weather's more bracing.
  • Options
    I  wonder how many are teliing porkies, and trying to talk the tough guy !  Loads of runners are out round my way, and all wearing  tights or tracksters, myself included. I would only wear shorts now at this time of year if i'm racing .
  • Options

Really?

I was wearing tights last week, but it's back up to 8 or 9 now.....surely thats too hot for tights?

• Options

I always wear shorts and vest running...........did my first mountain ultra on the weekend and despite the weather I was fine in shorts.........I did have problems with my top half getting cold and wet and ended up with jumpers and a rainjacket on..........found out that its fine to run for 3 or 4 hours in the rain in a vest top or jumper but after that when its raining and sleeting and windy and cold........the body starts to feel it.............suprisingly I was fine from the waist down in just the shorts.......image

• Options

Always shorts for me but a long sleeve top in the winter.

• Options
    What's with the "I'm so tough because I wear shorts all year round" bravado?  Your joints work better if they're warm so the sensible option is to wear tracksters or leggings when it's cold.
  • Options
    its nothing about being tough for me.........If I wear leggings I seem to overheat rapidly and my body shuts down and I have to stop.........image
  • Options
    "suprisingly I was fine from the waist down in just the shorts......."

likewise - as I did the same ultra as Seren and wore shorts which needed to be wrung out when I finished (much like the rest of me!). I did think about changing into tights and overtrousers at one point but thought "what's the point of getting more kit wet and muddy?" so carried on in shorts as my legs weren't cold.....

Mr W - clearly some of us don't suffer as badly as others in wet and cold shorts - I reckon years of rugby on wet cold muddy pitches has hardened my legs to the weather....
  • Options
    I also didn't have central heating in my house as a kid. and played hockey..........maybe our childhoods influence us...........who else wears shorts and didn't have central heatingimage
  • Options
    M.ister W wrote (see)
    What's with the "I'm so tough because I wear shorts all year round" bravado?  Your joints work better if they're warm so the sensible option is to wear tracksters or leggings when it's cold.

Its make em 'Ard of course, also, did you know that wearing shorts when its cold is directly related to your sexuality?.

Those that wear tights when its not -15 are more likely to flounce about wearing a pink tu-tu at the weekend whilst shouting "I'M FREE", or maybe thats just me............

• Options
    Well I've got very hetero, manly legs and extremely gay hands.  Shorts and gloves for me in cold weather.
  • Options
    I tend to go for only one item of "spray on" clothing per run. So some UA ColdGear with normal shorts. Tights with a normal tech t-shirt. This way I don't end up like a giant black condom.

But I do surf all through the winter and you can end up like this....

http://cdn-surf.transworld.net/2008/11/03/wetsuitfart.jpg

• Options
    I'm still in shorts too, my legs don't seem to get cold. Mainly still in a t-shirt as I get very warm, but have worn my gloves a few times. Still racing in vest and shorts. The only time I've worn tights since last year was a couple of weeks ago on a club night when I didn't have time to shave my legs. I'm sure no-one would have been looking closely, but you know image.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

I always wear shorts as my legs hardly feel teh cold, and usually short sleeves unless its sub zero, then I wear a long sleeved top.
    Have to admit to wearing gloves quite frequently though as I've found my hands go numb quickly now I'm older. I sweat a load and get hot very quickly, so even if its freezing when I leave the house, within 5 minutes I'm already warm enough.
    Put the shorts all year round thing to years of playing football, think you get used to being outside in all weathers in shorts.

• Options
    danowat wrote (see)
    M.ister W wrote (see)

Its make em 'Ard of course, also, did you know that wearing shorts when its cold is directly related to your sexuality?.

Those that wear tights when its not -15 are more likely to flounce about wearing a pink tu-tu at the weekend whilst shouting "I'M FREE", or maybe thats just me............

ROFL image
  • Options
    Just shorts all year. That is, I don't like to wear trackie bottoms or leggings. This time of year I have been wearing a waterproof but lightweight jacket, but only one layer underneath. Gets too hot otherwise. Years of playing football in all weathers in kits made of nylon has made me pretty resistant to cold.
  • Options

tights will be on when it gets cold enough,thats 1 night last week so far

i also venture outside in shorts if unsure,before returning indoors to dress for the elements

and gloves are a must have,ran 4 miles one day last week before i could feel my fingers again,crap circulation

• Options

My OH said to me that there is no way you are wearing tights! Not I would wear one anyway as I get so hot when running!

However I have a cofession to make......I use Deep Heat sometime to warm my legs up....is this a criminal for manly man to do this?

Although I do get the moan from the OH of the smell and all I have to do is remind her what the other option was....

• Options
    i went for a run this morning in shorts.  depends on how cold it feels, as did a run last week one day in 3/4's to keep my knees warm
  • Options
    Wore shorts again tonight, it felt very mild this evening.