Options

'Round The Coast Of Great Britain Run

Comments

• Options

Anyway,

as Barry rests and does various events, I want to make it clear that I have no wish to change any of our current team of co-ords, web peops, pic peops, report peops etc for our next great venture. Whay change a winning team? 

Barry's diary is just a record of his trips whilst in waiting and not a true coasters event as such. That is how I view itimage

Would be interesting to see if you agree or disagree with that.

• Options
    Shame, you could have brought Barry image
  • Options
    Yeah, this is just to keep him ticking over, can't have him getting lazy can we. image
  • Options
    absolutely and we will have more time to plan the next time and see what we can improve on, if anything. We all deserve a rest and certainly not amke a big deal of the diary (that is why rules had to be in place quick-we all know 'em and we can stick to them, if agreed to)image
  • Options

Vacancy

does anbody wish to join me in the role of coasters mediator in the event of any dispute? This is in the name of fairness and in case I myself gets dragged into a dispute (has been known -lol)  . Disagreements do happen in any organisation, however egalitarian.

thanks

• Options

It is up to everybody to decide and make suggestions for what we do in the future. I for one am pretty uncomfortable when folks do not make suggestions and come forward with ideas re Barry's Diary and future direction of coasters. I am equally uncomfortable when I am left to make "the next move". In a collective event,, everyone has equally valid say in what goes on. For a collective to keep going, we need a collective input.

I do not want more than my fair share of responsibility  beyond the roles I have. Even they are up for negotiation. I may not have the luxury of time in the future that I had this time.  We have done something really special in which we should all take credit for and it is only going to be through us that we succeed in the next event. Please folk keep it oursimage

thanks

• Options

Stu - I'd offer myself as mediator but my posts often tend to get ignored for whatever reason (although it's probably just me).

The problem we have now with future events is that we've done a massive challange already, so topping this would require massive logistics and free time that no-one has. I jokingly suggested "Coasting around Europe" on the Coasters' Facebook page but obviously this is the kind of thing that would be very expensive on an individual level and would probably take well over a year to complete. 

Coasters is very much a community event so events have to be inclusive of everyone. Aside from doing high-profile races there isn't much more I can think of at the moment that tops what has already been done that is feasible. 

• Options

Stu..  just my point of view, but I think you should just leave this as the massive success it was and not try to do it again.    Sequels are rarely as good....!   

If you absolutely did want to do it again, then the only idea I can come up with is a repeat but as a race..  Two teams, one go clockwise, the other anti-clockwise and see who can get back to the start first...

Otherwise..  I'd leave it well alone....

• Options

Ducky- it is going be hard to top what we have done. I have been waiting in the wings to see what  a mental health charity  that have contacted me (yes me againimage and showed an interest in conglomeratiing -if that is a word. Cannot say much coz don't know what they are gonna offer , if anything.

On mediation, most has to be done via PM and yes you can get ignored (peops have the right not to respond). Damned hard when I am involved in a disputeimage I cannot mediate unbiasedly thenimage I simply try not to be confrontational and aggressive even if some take that stance-really hard but you can give it a go Duckyimage

Barry doing events for folk, how I view it, is an interim affair and I want to keep it light and more about Barry.

DV - Honestly I have been so tempted recently to say that and as said sequels are rarely s good. However, we have a good concept that could be used to benefit others and present new challenges for the running community (and run walkers like me-lol). I am certainly after reducing my role whatever happens.

I am looking at a new career now (though hopefully part time). My role has been stressful and rewarding at the same time.  Getting folk to engage and communicate without sounding dictatorial  is damned hard as is trying to keep it a collective event. I have done my best with the help of Blakey(to keep and requests light)

• Options
    I think Bruce's idea of a none stop relay Lands End To John o groats is a great idea. It would be a fantastic achievement and one that we may actually be able to claim a record for? it would need some thrashing out on the Forum as to how, what, where, when and who. ........It wouldn't be a Sequel, but would be just as big an event, and the satisfaction  no less........ I think it's doable and something I'd love to take part in...... So what do you think guys and gals .
  • Options
    PS it wouldn't take that long either it being non stop
  • Options
    I think it is a great idea to consider alsoimage I am simply voicing an opinion. Let the collective decide where we go from here. We need to all wind down a spell and chill a bit though, I feel. No harm in talkig stuff through though.
  • Options

I also fancy non-stop LE to JOG, would take a hell of a lot of organisation and something that might work best with a backer, such as the organisation that has been in contact.

There was a few other ideas bouncing about a couple of months ago but this was definitely my favourite. I seem to remember someone posting that it couldn't be recognised as an official record cos it was geographically specific and Guinness don't recognise those, but I bet there's an unofficial record we could go for.

• Options

LE to JOG seems like the logical progression. Obviously safety at night would be paramount but if the wild west coast of Scotland can be done.......!

• Options

Scotlands definitely the tricky bit, we'd need Alison on the case up there image.

If we did it in June that would maximise the daylight.

So, that's 4 for LE to JOG, any more votes / alternatives?

• Options

I'm in - for LE to JOG, that is! image

• Options

Hmm, looks like we're not the only ones with this idea

http://www.calday-lejog.org/site/

Doesn't look like there's is non-stop.

It's a famous route though isn't it, maybe there's several attempts every year.

• Options

image Are you doing any work, Mike...? image Sorry...I'm just being lazy...not much to do..

If you people don't get me out running soon, I'm going to hibernate for the rest of the year!imageimageimage

• Options
    Oy Barry, we're trying to find you a big trip next year, watch this space!
  • Options

Hope you are getting some training in Barry me old son, just over two weeks to the Cornish.

Looking good for the LE to JOG image but I fear that peops don't keep upto date with RW Notifications and thus it will appear that they have stopped receiving them and not be viewing this discussion.  Is there any way of contacting all co-ords to subsequently contact all coasters to get wider feed back?

• Options

I'm not sure we ever did get a master list of all co-ords, would certainly be handy. Certainly can't rely on RW notifications, mine stopped working about a month ago and only started again when I changed my email address on RW.

We've got the facebook group as well, we can send out messages to 200 people that way - not all of whom would be coasters though

• Options

A list would be handy but I wonder about the legal implications of holding such a list, privacy etc? Facebook is a good start  wouldn't matter if a past coaster or not, the more people involved the better. One the pluses for LE to JOG is, people unable to take part in coasters because of there location may now be in a position to take part in fact.....

EVERYONE IS WELCOME, IF YOU ARE READING THIS PLEASE JOIN IN WE NEED YOU AND YOU CONTRIBUTION. image

• Options

And... Facebook message just landed with me, thanks for that.

If we're going to go ahead with this we should put it on it's own thread.

Like this one

• Options
    I suddenly have visions of running though Aviemore in the pitch black image
  • Options
    The Duckinator wrote (see)
    I suddenly have visions of running though Aviemore in the pitch black image

If we time it right it doesn't really get dark up there image

• Options

The LE to JOG is unlikely to come near us ( Fochabers ), but Spey Runners will help if we can,Probaly around the Aviemore area.  just let me know. We totaly enjoyed the coastal run.

Cheers.

George.

• Options
    Thanks George, wouldn't have thought we'd be that far away though glancing at a map, bound to be coming through Inverness. Please come on the other thread and sign up!
  • Options
    woody2run www.coastersgb.co.uk wrote (see)

A list would be handy but I wonder about the legal implications of holding such a list, privacy etc? Facebook is a good start  wouldn't matter if a past coaster or not, the more people involved the better. One the pluses for LE to JOG is, people unable to take part in coasters because of there location may now be in a position to take part in fact.....

EVERYONE IS WELCOME, IF YOU ARE READING THIS PLEASE JOIN IN WE NEED YOU AND YOU CONTRIBUTION. image

I'm resting VERY WELL at the moment, not much training so you'll have to carry me a bit I'm afraid...image

As for holding a list of personal data - if the individuals give their consent then it's OK with data protection act.  They may have consented when co-ordinating the relay before, that's not counted if you want to hold data for another reason. Would be best if you ask people if it's OK to hold their data for Coasters activities - covers all.   See? I have been reading...image

• Options
    I'm interested in LE to JOG , will keep an eye on the forum and pass on any info to the people who joined me on the Southport leg although they may not be as keen as me . CAthy