Options

"Coasting Round Britain - Ullapool to Durness"

Comments

• Options

Alice,

Great that you are still interested and willing! Unfortunately I will not be able to run in this stretch if it falls on the weekend of the 12th/13th June, if it were Monday 14th then I could help you out no problem. 

I am running later on in the Wick - Aberdeen stretch.

However we can still split it up and let yourself and Sam run whatever distances you are happy with, just let me know the distance you would like to cover after leaving Ullapool and we will split it up accordingly. Then hopefully some other runners will come on board and take over from you guys.  image

Alison

• Options

My two partners on the Lochinver to A894 junction leg will be:

David Jones contactable at jellyandjones@googlemail.com

and

Samantha Richards contactable at kylestromesam@hotmail.com

They'll split the rest of the section between them.

Trish

• Options
    Trish

Just checked the stretches I have been nominated. That's 100% with me. As you also mentioned it someone else would like any of them I will happily do one of the longer ones. Just as long as I have an idea about a week before I run for the sake of taking leave etc.

My husband is a runner as well and will be with me so if you are needing anyone to take up any of the other stretches please let us know.

Victoria
  • Options

Current situation :

Ullapool to Badnagyle - 18m
    Badnagyle to Lochinver - 11m
    Lochinver to cattle grid between Drumbeg & Nedd - 13m  David Jones & Samatha Richards
    Cattle grid between Drumbeg and Nedd to the end of the B869 (junction with A894) 8m Trish K
    A894 Jct to Scourie - 10m  Victoria Hendry
    Scourie to Rhiconich - 12m  Victoria Hendry
    Rhiconich to Durness - 14m  Jill64 & Mr JillJ64
    Durness to Cape Wrath to Durness - 22m  Frances Arrowsmith

Which leaves us with to be placed ... :

Hole in the Leg
    Alice Snow (strong maybe)

Can all please ensure that "Message Me" facility is turned on in their profile - it will say "message member" in the footer of any message that you post if it is turned on.

• Options
    it's filling up Offordimage  Mind you , so am Iimageimage-lolimage
  • Options

Victoria - "Husband is a runner as well".  Well wheel him on in.  The more the merrier.  You will see that Alice is interested in some of the mileage out of Ullapool but not all as we currently have it split.  When we hear from Alice about how much, would your (currently nameless) husband like to do the rest in to Lochinver?

Of course there is a fair amount where we are still needing runners on many of the sections from Kilchoan to Lochinver.  Might he, with or without you, be interested in any of these?  They can be seen on the Oban to Ullapool forum.

• Options

Just a typo on the list of runners. Its's Samantha - not Samatha !!.

• Options

Current situation :

Badnagyle to Lochinver - 11m
    Lochinver to cattle grid between Drumbeg & Nedd - 13m  David Jones & Samantha Richards
    Cattle grid between Drumbeg and Nedd to the end of the B869 (junction with A894) 8m Trish K

Hole in the Leg

Can all please ensure that "Message Me" facility is turned on in their profile - it will say "message member" in the footer of any message that you post if it is turned on.

• Options
    Firstly I apologise husbands name is Jimmy. It all really depends on when barry makes it up there. We live in Auchterarder so it is going to be a trek up to Ullapool for us and will mean time off work and accommodation as well. He may well be able to pick up some of the stretch to Lochinver.
  • Options
    VH - No apology needed at all to us - maybe Jimmy.  Auchterarder is a trek to Ullapool / Lochinver etc.  Shall we show him as a runner Badnagyle to Lochinver,  a possible at the bottom of the sheet or would you prefer to just keep watch on this forum and perhaps volunteer him later?
  • Options
    Bruce - www.coastersgb.co.uk wrote (see)

I'll update the website this evening with the split of the 3rd leg and the 'cattle grid' handover.

alison cameron 3 wrote (see)
    Thanks Bruce..... are you coping?image

d'oh ... maybe not Alison imageimageimage ... this one slipped through my net ... but just mailed myself a reminder so will do it tonight !

• Options

this is not doing so bad now. Could you show a bit of coasters spirit and interact with previous  stretch and join forces if you can?

together we can do itimage

• Options

Hi guys i see this leg is filling up nicely, not long and Barry will be with you

Check out his progress on the coasters website to watch him moving ever closer to you.

Also dont forget your cameras on your runs.

One things we did in Blackpool to fill up the last spots has challenge everyone to get at least one friend to join in the fun

• Options

had mail from Scottish Hillrunners.

have tried to straighten them out on things but local conatct on their forum may be really useful for putting things right and minds at rest

"Stu -
    I will post something on our Forum.  However it's not clear to me the dates on which you expect the various sections to be run - maybe I've missed it though.
    Ian Nimmo (for SHR)"
  • Options

could we have an estimated date rundown for whole stretch in case people visit this thread?

• Options
    Fellow coasters, we need to pitch in and take some of the pressure off Stu before we make him ill, he's trying to do too much.

As well as all the contacting media and publicity stuff, contacting running clubs to drum up more coasters, organizing podcasts, sending thank you emails, collecting names for Roll Of Honour, he's worrying about unfilled and quiet Scottish threads and a hundred other things.

Lots of other people are heavily involved too I know and I'm not asking them to do more - we've all got lives. Maybe some of the runners that have met Barry so far could take on something like thank you emails or have a go at co-ordinating one of the upcoming Scottish stretches such as this one. If you're running later then please get involved now - there's a lot to be done  to help get Barry as far as you.

Local knowledge is helpful but at the end of the day it can all be done on the forum / by email / phone / text etc with mapmyrun or something.

You're all welcome, as well as needing people to do their bit running, we need help on the organisation as well.

So who's in?

Let us know in the main Coasters thread
  • Options

Hi,

Stu has done a press release to help you drum up some interest in your local area. He is happy to respond to any interest we get from them but initial contact is always best from a local - please!

Can you send it on to local newspapers, radio, tv stations, tourist information offices, leisure centres and anywhere else you can think of.

You can also use it as the basis for posting on the forums of running, athletics and sports clubs - even if your stretch has someone on every leg you can never have too many, double or treble up on legs, people do drop out for one reason or another and the more the merrier, Barry is bringing runners of all ages and abilities together!

The important thing is to get people interested and get word out.

Remember - Do it for Barry!

Thanks everyone

**Press Release**

On May 9th 2010, a crazy little baton named Barry departed from Blackpool Tower, assisted by three runners. The adventure Barry was undertaking was to cover the whole coast of Great Britain assisted by helpful runners . At present, Barry is edging through the West Coast of Scotland, thanks to the valiant effort of a chain of these dedicated “coasters” as they are called. Through rain and shine, Barry moves along, just that little bit more, radiating a little warmth in every coaster’s heart. Furthermore there is a sense of belonging and community that enthrals them as fellow runners, their families and friends rally ‘round. A “coasters spirit” is what fuels Barry’s coastal cause. To get a true feel of this take a look at the following report on the first Stretch: http://www.runbritain.com/articles/coasting-along/

This is no ordinary coastal relay. It is free to join and not a race. It is a celebration of both running , our beautiful coast and it is a spiritual affair. It is not about elite athletes , it is about runners of whatever ability forging a link with other runners through Barry. Barry wants you to hold him and carry him just that step further along the coast. Estimated dates for immediate stretches are:

Stranraer to Ayr 23rd - 25th May
    Ayr to Oban 25th May -6th June
    Oban to Ullapool 6th -13th June
    Ullapool to Durness 13th-20thJune
    Durness to Wick 20th-27th June
    Wick to Aberdeen 27th June - 4th July
    Aberdeen To Edinburgh 4th July -11th July
    Edinburgh to South Shields 11July-18th July

So, if you would like to “Do It For Barry” and partake in an unforgettable coastal experience, contact us through our website

www.coastersgb.co.uk .

Stu Prince (founder CoastersGB

• Options

Anyone fancy 5 minutes of fame and help the Coasters in the process image

Running and Life produce a monthly podcast on all things running. Our founder Hoose starred in April's edition and you can listen to it here http://runningandlife.co.uk/ if you want to skip to the Coasters bit it starts around 19:30.

They've asked us to make a regular contribution to the Podcast as Barry makes his way round the coast, so we need volunteers from each stretch.

Things we could talk about are Barry's journey, the highs and lows, who's involved, anything unusual, interesting or funny that happened during the relay. What's happening next, where do people go to sign up and where we still need runners for. 

This is a great opportunity to create a permanent record, share some of the amazing reports we've seen and help drum up more support for the next stretches. 

You can record the updates yourselves (the Podcast organisers can provide advice on how to do this) or do it via a telephone interview with them. A 'live' interview might be a good idea at a handover point?

If you're interested in lining something up for this stretch please send an email to coastersgb@hotmail.co.uk

Go on you know you want to!! image

• Options
    Hey there. Jimmy says yes you can put him down for the stretch Badnagyle to Lochinver. Do you think we will get a b&b easy enough?
  • Options

Current situation :

Badnagyle to Lochinver - 11m  Jimmy Hendry
    Lochinver to cattle grid between Drumbeg & Nedd - 13m  David Jones & Samantha Richards

Hole in the Leg

• Options
    How do you turn on the "message me" facility?
    Thanks,
    Frances
  • Options

H Frances,

go to "my forum" on top right. Then click on my profile. You should see a "message me" box towards the bottom of the page.

Stu

• Options
    no  problem. It is always nice when a "name" becomes a poster and joins in a bitimage
  • Options
    A REMINDER.

Barry is going well and that is a tribute to all Coasters who have contributed so far in any way at all. To keep him going we all need to add our contribution to the great effort that is being made by some Coasters. You need to do three things.

Recruit.
    Think of the difference it would make to Barry's prospects if all Coasters recruited one more runner to the pool we have so far.

Communicate.
    You may feel you have nothing you wish to say at present but the time will come when you will need to speak to someone (believe it or not Barry is inanimate and will not arrive at your handover point by magic). If you haven't already done so introduce yourself to other Coasters on your RW stretch thread and make sure you activate your message member button (click on "my profile" at top right hand corner of any RW forum page and tick the "message me" box when it appears). In that way when someone needs to contact you directly they can so easily.

Map.
    If your name is next to a leg on the main Coasters website then make a map of your route (I use MapMyRun.com) with your preferred map making site and forward the details to your stretch coordinator so that it can published on the Coasters website.

Thank you and GOOD LUCK to all Coasters!!
  • Options
    Stu www.coastersgb.co.uk wrote (see)
    no  problem. It is always nice when a "name" becomes a poster and joins in a bitimage
    And even nicer when a coaster becomes a co-ordinator! Would any of you locals like to have a go please?  Just a case of making sure everyones got each other contact details making sure maps are done, that sort of thing. We'll all help you out, it's easy, even an English guy like me can do it!
  • Options
    Hi,

I'm coordinating the previous stretch and was wondering whether you have times set in yet - we have someone willing to do our last legs on the 13th June, so we could get Barry to Ullapool on the evening of the 13th?

Would that be ok?

Thanks

Iain
  • Options

Do we have any one up for the first leg or part of it yet????? Can all on here ask around and see who is available to do some or all of that first leg? 

Current situation :

Badnagyle to Lochinver - 11m  Jimmy Hendry

Hole in the Leg
    Alice Snow (strong maybe)     what can you guys here do please???

• Options
    imageSpread the word as Barry is getting nearer and needs a lift in June!!!!!!!
  • Options

yip

start interacting with Oban Ullapool and one fter you. Time for jaw nowimage

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/354146/Gallery/4989577647a6163937657m.jpg