Options

Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Andy (sub-4:00)

Comments

• Options
    why complicate running?
  • Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Pix, I don't think you're right about the recovery time following a blood donation.

The volume is made up very quickly  as long as you drink a reasonable amount of fluid, and you should certainly be back to a normal circulating volume the next morning.

Your liver and spleen also have a red cell reserve that starts coming into circulation almost as soon as you loose blood, so although you may have a smaller reserve for some weeks, that won't have a physiological effect unless you have another significant blood loss.

So, it may take a day or two to get back to normal, but no more than that - fear not, blood donors!!

• Options

Hi Andy

Iam aiming for sub 4 in this years London marathon so may well tap into your thread to see if I can pick up any tips.Completed London in3hrs 52 in 2008 but had a problem with the ticker in 2009, seems to be behaving itself at the moment.

Good luck with all your training. looking at you times for previous races I think you have a very good  chance of running under 4.Keeping on running!!How's the training going in this awful weather

• Options
    Thanksguys, interesting stuff.  (Runner.... obviously doesn't think so!).  I think I will wait until after the marathon though.  Remind me in the summer!
  • Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Cheers Toni stay tuned into this thread and please keep contributing. 

Very early days with the schedule but so far pretty good. The main lesson learned so far from week 1 is that with a family, work, the weather etc (substitute for your own circumstances- we're all busy)  you need to think ahead and have a plan b,c and maybe d...   I'm only a newbee but hey thats what marathon's are about right? Best of luck with your training by the way. Are you following the RW schedule also? 

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭
    lamkjo wrote (see)

Good job on the running people. I ran on Sunday and Monday and was sitting it out today - snow's been pretty constant all day in Brum so unsure if it was a goer anyhow. Going to be a mission to find somewhere to run tomorrow - was hoping to run a little farther due to a half next week but 4 miles it will have to be!

AndyV - just got the Feb edition of RW with the nice glossy pictures of you supersixers and coaches! Regarding the treadmill, there's a little article on p17 about increasing the gradient of the tread - says 'you dramatically increase the power output from quads, hamstrings and calves' otherwise the muscles don't work so hard.  

Thanks Lamkjo

Just checked out pg17 following your tip

• Options

Andy - well done on the 2 miler - I did a lot further today but much, much slower.

It's Going really well for you so far - though we are barely on the way to warm up yet to the real training.

Re my final comment on blood doning, I have to admit I've never given any, having been told running 100 miles a week at the time, that it would be dangerous to do so.

I suspect the negative effects could be linked to how much training you do or intend to do, ie if you are really run down from training hard, then it will make recovery harder even if your body makes it up within 48 hours.

In my 40 years plus of running I have come in contact with many runners who have had negative reactions ie fainting, poor runs etc and I can only advise from that knowledge though appreciate others have more practical experience which maybe contradicts my concerns.

• Options

I think it probably depends on what level you're training for.  If I was running anything like Steve's mileage or speed (oh in my dreams!!!!) , I'd probably think twice, but let's face it at my level giving blood now isn't going to make a great deal of difference to how well I run at the end of April.

I did faint once after giving blood, it was hilarious.  Someone at asked me if I was okay as I looked a bit pale, apparently I said "yes, fine" and then went down like a sack of spuds.  At the time I was working for a firm of chartered surveyors in London, and I remember coming round to the sound of someone's voice droning on.  Apparently, the pin-striped prat whose desk I'd fallen under had moved politely to the side so that people could look after me, and carried on with the letter he was dictating!   Suffice to say I don't work there any more......

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭
    Hash: He's sounds lovely, really top geezer! I just hope you didn't get in his way too much that day. That would have been just awful!image
  • Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Have run a few more miles than scheduled but the pace of these runs has been about spot on. 

• Options
    Ang12Ang12 ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Interesting thoughts on giving blood, probably not something that we wouldn't have given a second thought to if we weren't on a training plan ... I'm sure we'll learn a lot more over the next 15 weeks.

I've done 3, 5 mile sessions on the treadmill this week, sun is shining at the moment, so fingers crossed for an offroad club run tonight - am going stir crazy.

Well done on the running so far, half way through week 1!

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Afternoon all

Mucho respectas to those out running in the snow. Day off me today. I plan to do "Saturday's" easy three miler tomorrow morning followed by the slow 7 miler on Saturday. Can't run on Sunday so should be fresh to tackle week 2 on Monday. Well thats the theory but who knows what will happen with this chaffing weather!   

• Options

couldn't run in the snow because all kids are home so resorted to the treadmill which I hate........

really struggled with the speed session...........it was tough for the first one.........

I'm on week 2 of the schedule and it was 1m jog, then 2x1.5m fast.........with 800m jog recovery then a 1m jog..........

I found it hard as the fast 1.5m was suggested at 11-12mins which is faster than the suggested 5k pace........this meant that both 1.5m was faster than my 5k race pace,................I struggled..........also the jog recovery rate suggested was at 10 mnis  not the 10.59 that the pace indicators recommended.

not sure if they made it all harder to shock me into it............but I resulted in me failing to keep the pace for the full time...........or if i am just reading it all wrong.

anyway drenched in sweat even wih all the windows open.............I run outdoors in this weather in shorts and t-shirt so noit suprising I overheat indoors

the snow is getting all icy.......will go off road saturday for my long run again

• Options

Hi Andy,

Thought i would introduce myself as i to am a newbie and will also be running the VLM.  Have been reading the forum for a few days now so thought i best join in.

I will be following the 3.45 RW Schedule /(Smart coach plan on occassions) but will be delighted with a sub 4.

Happy running

Mark image

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Mark: Welcome and keep on contributing. I guess neither of us know what time we can do until we've done our first marathon. I'm sure we're both going to learn a hell of alot on the journey. Stay tuned into the thread and best of luck.

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭
    Hey wheres my profile picture gone?image
  • Options

Hi all- I really enjoyed my  tready intervals today- decreasing distances- 1.2 km, 1km, 800m, 600m, 400m, 200m, at increasing speeds, with 200m RI between- oddly, it was fun, as the distances got less, but the speeds higher( top speed 14.2 kph- and I've only got little short legs, so it was a struggle!).

I usually hate intervals,and wimp out 2/3 of the way through, but this was somehow more like a challenge to get to the fastest bit. Perhaps I'll just repeat this one , rather than the really boring "6x800m, with 400m RI image.

Re; the blood thing- yes, it may be that high- mileage elite runners have a degree of anaemia anyway, and it DOES take a few weeks to replenish the cell volume, but I think for non- elites, the effects are unlikely to be noticable after about 48hrs. I wouldn't do any strenuous runs in the first 48hrs, but gentle recovery runs the day after  are fine, as long as you are well hydrated (back to the pee charts). As a surgeon, I can certainly vouch for the importance of blood donation!

• Options

Andy

Good luck with the training  - agree probably good to get it out of the way to clear for the much harder week 2

Seren Nos - re the pacing don't overdo the speeds early on in the schedule just to get them within the suggested times. 5K speed is probably too fast for that session and 10k speed would probably be sufficient.

It's not a worry if you find the paces too hard on some of teh speed sessions in the initial weeks - firstly it could just be your endurance is relatively better than you speed, but what should happen is your speed will improve as you get fitter and more used to the regular speedwork.

• Options

Like Evil Pixie, I'm also gulping hard looking at next week's schedule on my Garmin Training Centre. It started out all innocent like:

Tues - 2 x 1.5m fast
    Wed - Slow 5m
    Thurs - Brisk 2m
    Sat - Slow 8m
    (moved the schedule 1 day forward to fit with other commitments)

OK, so (2 x 1.5)+5+2+8 = 18 miles right? Sounded fine to me! Until I clicked into it and noticed THE HIDDEN MILES!

Tuesday's 2 x 1.5m fast - once you add in the 1m warm up and 1m cool down and the 1/2m recovery after each interval - is actually 6 miles, not 3, and Thursday's brisk 2m includes a 1m cushioning on each side, making it 4 miles.

Doh! Pass me another beer. image
  • Options

yes ehlne.........that got me too.i don't mind the mileage just struggling to work out the details...........

with the speed work 2x1.5 i only did the recovery jog between the two fast bits because I decided the my 1m cool down was the equivalent of recovery..........not sure if thats how i wss suppossed to do it.

I managed the 5M slow on the treadmill today.........I still hate treadmills but wish now I had given in to it earlier in the week as I made tuesday and wednesday a rest day hoping for the kids to get back to school........... i was just trying to avoid the treadmill when deep down i knew I couldn't.............

will be able to get out tomoorrow in the snow and ice off road though for my long one

Thanks Steve......... I was just trying to follow the instructions and they seemed not to match up.............i think I was forgetting taht its all just a rough guide..........

just nearly had a heartattck looking at next weeks schedule.by mistake I was looking at week fourteen.........took me a couple of secs to realise my mistakeimage

• Options

Hi all

Just a quick reminder that Nick Morgan (Lead Sport Scientist at Lucozade Sport) will be online between 1 and 2pm today to answer any questions you might have about nutrition.

We've opened the debate a little early so post your questions for Nick now so he can get stuck in straight away at 1pm!

Thanks

Catherine

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Evening All:

Managed to fit in a cheeky 3M slow (Saturday's scheduled run) at lunch today albeit on a treddie down the gym. Run four tick image

Details:

22:33 Total Time

Mile1 07:39

Mile2 07.27

Mile3 07.28

NB: Forgot HRM!

Now this is way quicker than the schedule requires but it was either at this pace (so I could get back to work on time) or not at all.  Had the weather been ok this would have been an outside early morning run with plenty of time to go slow.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to do Sunday's slow 7 miler as I'm busy on the Sunday. I'm resigned to the fact this will be in the gym againimage 

I've made my snowman now, I'm sure I'm not alone in being a wee bit fed up of the slush now!

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Reading back on some of the posts I have to admit I didn't realise how the mileage creeps up with the inteval sessions. According to my maths (though I am rubbish at this) week 2 jumps up to 27 miles up (total) from 19 in week 1. Week 1 really is rather gentle isn't it!

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭
    PS I've changed my pic by the way peeps. My wife thinks the orange/red combo is a fashion disaster. Fashion sense is not high on my priorities when its minus 3 me thinks.
  • Options
    Stuff what Mrs AndyV thinks, I'm LOVING the orange hat/red Super Six jacket combo. It is FLAIR image