Options

2010 - 1000 miles

2010 - 1000 miles

Hello all, i thought i'd start another 1000 mile thread for this year. It was my target for 2009, and i am sure i would have hit the target, but for illness and injury robbing me of so much running time. In the end i hit 677 miles, good, and better than 2008...573, but this year i want to hit the 4 figure milestone. Feel free to join me on this thread and heres hoping to a celebration by the end of December. 

Comments

• Options
    PS....anyone got any idea why standard photos are too big to upload????? I cannot think of one good reason why the photos i am trying to upload won't? And i'm much slimmer now!!!
  • Options

January 1st 2010 - 2 miles

Nice easy run to start the year as i've been off for a month due to illness, first run back was 30th December. Beautiful crisp morning here in Devon, ran along the Great Western Canal enjoying the view.

Week - 4

Month - 2

2010 - 2

• Options

I'm hoping to do 1000 miles this year and I'm in Devon too. image

I managed 831 miles last year but was injured for a few weeks here and there so it could have been more.

Got out for a lovely chilly, frosty run yesterday and managed to do 6.36 miles.

• Options
    Hoping to aim for 2010 miles in 2010 which will be a big lift from roughly 1500, waiting for my OH to come home to look after the little runners till i get out for my second run of the year. Good luck with your targets! WR
  • Options

Lets hope its a Devon Double then Small! Good luck!

Thats some target WR, all the best!

• Options
    I'm with you.  It's my aim for 2010 too.  I managed 1000 miles in 2009 but that was mainly through going a little mad in August, and I'd rather be more evenly paced this year so it's my goal again.  Didn't think I had a chance in hell of acheiving it last year - but I surprised myself and want to do it again. image
  • Options
    Hi Just Run i  know 2010 seems an awful lot but it actually works out at a reasonable 38.66 per week so doesn't seem too bad when put like that!
  • Options
    I'm in - trying for 1000 this year but 1250 if poss. I think i did about 920 last year due to two injuries.
  • Options

I didnt start running until august last year and somehow managed to get a stress fracture and mess up a tendon all before december. Still managed to get a fair bit of mileage done, averaging about 20-25miles in the weeks i wasnt crippled.

I too was thinking of 1000 miles in 2010, although i want this to be a minimum and would like to get more, but anything over 1000 i will be happy with.

Havnt been for a run yet this year, might have to dust off the running shoes and work off all these mince pies!

• Options
    And out of interest, are you guys using Garmins or something to track routes, or are you more relaxed and using google maps to measure your routes inwhich case if you did 10.12miles would you put yourself down as doing 10, 10.1 or 10.12miles image
  • Options

Think I'll give this a bash, anything to keep me focused.

Jan 3 - 6 miles to date, but didn't run on 1 and 2 image

I use garmin and i'd call that 10 mile, in fact once it hit 10 if that was my aim i'd stop the watch and walk. 

• Options

Hi Boyddie, i use a garmin the first one they released (can't remember the number but had it a good few years), and measure all my runs with that and if it says 10.12 that's what i record in my log.

Cheers WR

• Options
    Boyddie, I use a Garmin 50. Its not GPS but i have calibrated it at a few races and over known distances, verified by GPS. I reckon its about 95% accurate now and at my pace thats more than good enough for me. I used to knock off the odd bits but i would have hit a 100 mile month last year if i hadn't so I count every yard now!
  • Options

January 3rd 3.44 miles

Really cold morning, headed along the Canal and then off over the hills. Met a huge ice patch along one lane, about 20 feet long. Had to almost run through the hedge. Third run back from break and felt really good today. Kept the pace slow, stretching my legs over the last 1/4 mile.

Week - 7.44

Month - 5.44

2010 - 5.44

• Options

I'm aiming for 1000 miles this year. Unfortunately starting 2010 with an injury though. Majorly sore foot, and for no real reason - just started hurting walking round the shops yesterday. Was considering risking it today for a run, but decided against it - aided by the icy ground.

2009 I managed to run just under 700 miles. Lost my mojo after running Edinburgh marathon and therefore June / July / August really let me down.

• Options
    Hi Moving Along, i hit 677 miles in 2009 after injury and illness robbed me of large chunks of the year. I started 2009 injured image but this year start after just getting over injury.....must be the time of year. Good luck.
  • Options

Just done another 10 miles. Lots of ice about still.

Week - 28

Month - 16.36

Year - 16.36

I use Mapmyrun.com and log every last inch!! image

• Options

I've been adding up the miles from the chart on the office wall, & just my running to work in 2009 has totalled 760 miles (8 miles per day, there & back)

Races & cross-country runs are not included in that, but I reckon I could add another 120 - 130 miles for that

That's not bad for a cyclist, I guess?image

• Options

I've set a 1000 mile target every year for the last 11 years - and failed it every time! I keep being a sporadic runner. I was going to post a very similar thread to see if anyone would join me to keep motivated this year, so was delighted to find this.

I'm hoping to do a few tris this year, so I need to get a bit ahead earlier on, because as I up the cycling later on, I'll miss some of my longer runs.

So far done 2 runs - a 9.2 and 4.8, so have a total of 14 miles - I reckon that puts me 5.8 miles "up".

I use a Garmin 101, but most of my runs are on regular routes. I tend to just record exactly what it says, but sometimes I get a reading that is a bit out from my usual readings for that route, in which case I use an average value for that route. 

• Options
    I'm up for this, I managed 750 in 2009 so hopefully I can stay injury free and hit the magic 1000 miles.
  • Options
    Just looked up on the AA site, and it's 903 miles from Lands End to John O'Groats avoiding motorways. As this is quite similar to the 1000 mile target I thought I'd use it to keep track of my progress. I reckon I'm on the A30 approaching Hayle at the moment!
  • Options
    I am up for this as well. I managed about 600 miles last year, mainly with a longish Sunday morning run and a shorter run during the week.
    I hope to get in about three short runs(about 3+ miles), plus a long run of around 10 miles. I use the mapping sites, and if anyone has used the Nike+ sportsband, I would be interested if they found it any good.
    I was a bit disappointed to run 7.3 miles this morning as I wanted to hit at least 10, but it was so cold that even with gloves on, my fingers were stinging with pain so I had to cut it short. So far for the year I am at 10.6 miles.
  • Options

I use a Garmin to measure runs - and also find G-Map pedometer good.

11 miles so far this year. image

• Options
    Hi Davspan, i used to have a Nike Sportsband. It was okay but the display was very dim (the new one is brighter apparently) and impossible to read in the sun. You can only view one thing at a time too, distance or pace, but not both as you can with a garmin. I have the Garmin 50 forerunner with footpod which i got on Amazon for £40. I don't know if they're still that cheap as it was an offer but its loads better than the nike effort.
  • Options

I use a Garmin 405, and map runs on sport tracks, so i let it add watever it says on the watch. All my runs are pre-programmed and they usually end at least 1/4 mile from home (because i'll guess a loop, or turn around at some point just past half way to ensure the distance is covered) which i will run but don't include in my mileage. Today i finnished about 1/2 mile from home, again this won't be included.

If i complete my current schedule i'll hit 1045 miles by April 25, last year it took until may.

Last year i did 224 runs over 1991 miles or 8.8 miles per run.

Mileage so far for 2010 :     30 miles

• Options
    forgot to add, not bad so far for a fat lump! image
  • Options

Made good use of my last day of the holiday today with a lovely off-road hilly run on the coast path of 8.6.

Total mileage 22.57

Target: +11.6

• Options

I'm going to aim for 1000 miles too.  Only managed 635 in 2009 as never got into a regular routine with injuries.  Hoping that things won't hurt too much this year! 

4.4 miles yesterday and planning on 4 more tonight.

Good luck everyone who's aiming for the 1000 miles, or a different target.

• Options
    Thanks Just Run, read a few reviews and it seems quite a few are unhappy with the Sportsband. Thanks also to you and everyone for the info about the Garmins.
    Managed just over three miles today, but it was on the treadmill as the streets are covered in snow. I ran half of it on a hill, and am satisfied with that for today.
    Best wishes all.
  • Options
    Still no running in 2010 for me yet. Think I've diagnosed the injury as plantar facituiis (sp?). Anybody had any experience of this?

(Apologises for the cross post, but on a mobile and had easy access to this thread!)