Options

Abingdon Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options

Hi all,

I can sense the nerves and excitement picking up on the forum!  I'm just about to go to the physio for the final verdict!!!  My question to you is if she says I'm ok to run on Sunday, how much fitness am I likely to have lost after only running once in the past three weeks??

I don't know if I want to run just to get round - I'm seeking a PB!!!

Decisions, decisions....

• Options
    Mick I see you and Phil at many races throughout the year and I always come over to say hello to you both because you inspire me so much. You are a Star as far as I am concerned.
    I Know what it is like trying to put names to all the faces.
    We all know who you and Phil are, thats for sure. Keep on rocking.
  • Options
    PipesPipes ✭✭✭
    D2D - sounds good if we can work out a day/time that suits us both. Text/ message me some options.

6 miles with 6x1k at marathon pace (6:45-6:50) tonight. I did this with the club members who were doing their normal interval session. It felt comfortable and was quite exciting.

Lillias - hope your cold shifts in the next day or two. If it does, you'll be fine on the day. Positive thinking.
  • Options

I'm getting nervous and I'm not even running it !! I've done this four times now and also train on these routes. You are in for a good failry flat treat !

I left it too late this year to enter due to losing my Mojo at the time... that'll teach me

Enjoy it all,  it's a great well organised race. They did hand out Lucozade sport at about 14 miles just after half way coming back into Abingdon to the marina and 23 same place.
    Fetch were brilliant at 12/20 I think the 118's were there.

I'll be watching out for you all

Good luck and lets hear all about those PB's plans to come back next year

• Options

Lots of posts to read - the excitment looks to be building!!! 7.5 miles tonight with 5 X 400s at a sensible pace, rest tomorrow and a couple on Thursday and that's it for me!

Hope all the colds and ailments clear up for everyone in time!

• Options

FL - Thanks for the mile stats for last year.  Happy with that pacing and could be tempted, just a bit worried about the first couple of miles. 

3 miles in the morning and then that it til Sunday image

• Options

6 miles for me tonight with 3 at mp. Finally feels like the cold might be going.

Plan to do a final 4 miles on Thursday, with plenty of rest otherwise.

Still wondering which train to get on. Will probably decide on the day, when I see how I feel.

Weather's still looking ok, although strong winds on Saturday - hope these don't carry over to Sunday.

FTAT

• Options

Mr Spoons - you're nght, we should just stick to a sensible pace and aim to catch D2D in the last couple of miles. image

D2D - not sure I can take starting at your pace, but good luck with that positive split.  image

It's been a bit more of a taper than I'd planned this week due to starting a new job and being thrown in the deep end (I'm taking over from someone who's decided to leave early on maternity leave whilst the only other person who knows what's going on is on paternity leave).Still, at least haven't got any time to get worried about the race.

Not much time to keep up with the forum either but will see you all on Sunday if I'm not around again before then. Good luck everyone!

• Options

104 for me. Had a quiet taper due to a sore shin, its not right but its not going to get any better either so lets see how it goes.

Cant find the page where someone mentioned about a play area / building for kids so the Mrs can keep little one entertained. Anyone care to remind me?

Also can anyone leave bottles with fetch?

Thanks in advance and see you sunday

• Options

Snakes and ladders Richard Lewis 19

Wear ear plugs 

• Options

I'm so excited!!!! And I just can't hide it......!

I know I know I know I know that I want to run I want to run...!

image  Lillias G 2 - get well soon, Everyone else who is snuffling, take it easy and keep positive.  I just can't wait now.  Tonight I shall be getting my kit together, checking my feet, packing my bag, getting my gels, and safety pins.  Oh I just can't WAIT now....   I know it won't be a great time for me, but I just LOVE this race and this course and the marshalls and the chickens/turkeys who cheer us on in the first couple miles..... BRING. IT. ON!

OK, now I need to calm down and concentrate on work for a bit.  whoever it was earlier who posted about their wide marathon smile - i so hear you!  I am smiling too! Hope I get to meet lots of you on the day.

• Options

Brookie - thanks for your enthusiasm!!! I feel a bit underwhelmed and incredibly nervous about this race, but your post put a smile on my face image

Still managing to avoid my husband's germs so hope to make the start healthy and ready for my massive challenge to break 4hrs!!!

• Options

Hi all,

Theres not going to be a marthon for me image but I would like to wish you all the very best of luck on Sunday!!  I hope the weather is like it is today for you (sunny and cool).  I'm looking forward to hearing your stories and times on Sunday night!!  GOOD LUCK image!!!!

In the meantime, if anyone doesn't already know  I have a room at the Dog House going if anyone would like it....

• Options
    Latte you have mail and sorry you can't make it. image
  • Options
    Getting very nervous and excited now....
  • Options
    I think I may possibly be feeling better today. In a way maybe it has been good that this cold has hit me now as in the past I have been guilty of trainng to close to a race.... got to stay positive really, that is all I can do.

Also massively stressed at work...the people I work with are driving me maaaaaaad.

Bring on Sunday.
  • Options

all packed

including vaseline image

ready, ready ,ready

should be

easy, easy, easy

• Options

Weather prediction from BBC: sunny intervals, 14 degrees, wind 9mph.

Not too bad I'd say.

• Options
    Long time lurker on this forum. Finally time for a post. So looking forward to the race. I will be dreaming of a sub 3 finish, but that will depend on everything going right on the day. I would love to get under 3 hours as it will give me an A seeding for Comrades next year. It will mean taking 15 minutes off my PB, but my PB is nearly a year old and was run off average of 35 miles a week, compared to average of 55 miles a week for this one. Will also be my first race in lighter Brooks ST4s, compared to previous races done in Asics Kayanos.

I hope everyone's aches, pains and sniffles subside before Sunday.
  • Options

WK78 - All the best for a sub 3!!! If you don't aim at your target how on earth will your ever hit it.... so go and get it.

Weather looks good so we can have no excuses!!!! image

D2D - Calm down and save that energy for Sundayimage

Brookie - Really looking forward to it myself!!!!!!

• Options

Welcome WK78 - never too late to come out of the lurking shadows.

Lillias - know the feeling about being stressed at work - one of the main reasons I run.

Cara - what pace are you setting out at?  I'm getting carried away with pre-race excitement now and wondering if I should take a pop at my sub 4 after all?  Company would be good but I'll understand if you're a lone runner....

Mick n Phil - you guys rock! 42 marathons - wow.

• Options

Wondering whether D2D has taper madness, but it is just so difficult to tell image

• Options
    Nope she's not tapering image
  • Options

Evening all

Nightmare day in work and no running tonight and giving the caffeine a miss for a few days!!!! So very stressed out tonight!!!!!

D2D, good effort but don't go wasting it! save it for Sunday. Your going to fly under 3:30image.

LG2, glad to here your on the mend.

WK78, welcome and good luck.

Hope everyone else is well and resting up ok.

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Devoted2Distance wrote (see)

I think I have been sold magic shoes image

Ran in my new Lunaracers for the first time tonight - 6.5 miles in 44.51 - 6.54m/m!!!

I don't think I've ever ran this fast in training..... *traces back through training logs...* no! never!

I love you D2D. Your absolutely crazy, but I love you! image

• Options

Good luck to all runners on Sunday.Weather perfect here at the moment so hope it continues for you.

I live about 6 miles from Abingdon and would love to do the marathon one day but would definatly be lastimageso have entered Brighton instead for next April as bigger field and some slower runners.

However will be there supporting on Sunday.I kind of know the route but could anyone give me an approximate time when the runners will be doing the first loop around Sutton Courtney/Milton-I probably will be in the Milton Industrial estate as maybe one of the quieter parts of the route.Just an estimate will do

Good luck all image